Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

How does AI feel about conversion u-joints? Turns out that driveshaft I got last week was for a 3/4 ton, and while the slip yoke is correct for my T-case it's got 1350 joints and my diff yoke is 1344. I could exchange it but the junkyard I got it from is a 3 hour round trip from here and it's tough to say no to a driveshaft that's one joint change away from fitting my truck and is bigger/better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I thrash the poo poo out of my Bronco with a conversion u-joint from the DS to the pinion flange and haven't had any problems yet, even with the pinion angle being off and doing dumb poo poo like brakestanding it all the time. I don't really see a problem with them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Noise Complaint posted:

Girls say the same thing about car guys hth

To be quite honest, there's no better match then a car guy and a horse chick.

Bullshit.

You know that adage about 944s? It's like that, but instead of being able to afford 1, you can afford 0.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Dated a horse girl, she was a loving lunatic. But then again, so were lots of the other girls I dated.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Phone posted:

Bullshit.

You know that adage about 944s? It's like that, but instead of being able to afford 1, you can afford 0.

I'm not sure you're really the most qualified person to speak on the subject of women, dude. :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

scuz posted:

Grats, dude, that must feel great. The number following the dollar sign on my student loan bills just got bigger so I can't wait to be where you are.

It does feel great! I think we'll pay off the remaining amount on her loans as a lump this month, then a similar payment to finish off her car next month. We've been meaning to get completely debt-free by the end of 2015 and that's rapidly approaching. Getting rid of 5% interest debt is a hell of a lot better than leaving the money in the bank at 0.5% interest.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

From what I've seen, the Japanese-style (bosozoku-esque?) light setups make clever use of LED strips, diffusers, and custom reflectors. At least, from what I've seen on YouTube recently.

Videos please because I just fell down a hole of looking at LED tail lights on YouTube and now I want to build some.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

It does feel great! I think we'll pay off the remaining amount on her loans as a lump this month, then a similar payment to finish off her car next month. We've been meaning to get completely debt-free by the end of 2015 and that's rapidly approaching. Getting rid of 5% interest debt is a hell of a lot better than leaving the money in the bank at 0.5% interest.
poo poo, I never thought about it that way. There are a few large numbers next to the word "Balance" on couple of credit cards that I have, so I should probably focus on paying those down first before I start putting away any large amounts for my hobby garage.

edit: On that note, does anyone have any experience with consolidating their credit card debt? My bank and I were dumb enough to get a high-interest credit card that somehow (bad decisions) has nearly reached its maximum. Discover card offered a 0% interest w/o fees on transferred balances, but the amount for which I was approved wasn't nearly enough to cover the whole balance on the high-interest card. It's reached the point where I'm receiving offers in the mail from banks asking to help out, but they seem like a scam. :ohdear:

scuz fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 3, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Man, I didn't realize how bad this dumb lav mic was. Better than the GoPro one, though.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I'd be really keen to see the actual power output of the average horse nowadays, not just what James Watt figured.

About 14.9 hp peak, 1hp sustained. A human can apparently do 1.5-2.5 peak, 0.1-0.3 sustained.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The first ever sonic is opening in Buffalo on thursday and its supposed to be the biggest one in the nation. I know a lot of people say its over hyped but I am a sucker for new food stuffs.

How do they still use skates in the snow, though?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Noise Complaint posted:

Girls say the same thing about car guys hth

To be quite honest, there's no better match then a car guy and a horse chick.

I grew up with and am related to lots of people with horses.

They're insufferable, and generally can't hold a conversation that doesn't involve those walking poo poo factories.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

iwentdoodie posted:

I grew up with and am related to lots of people with horses.

They're insufferable, and generally can't hold a conversation that doesn't involve those walking poo poo factories.

I'm not sure you're really the most qualified person to speak on the subject of women, dude. :v:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

It's so strange to see USEA and OTTB's being mentioned in AI. My wife's a former horse chick. Former because we can't afford that poo poo anymore. She's had two OTTB's in the past. One was a stupid idiot but was really pretty and the other was very level headed and was sad a shame to say goodbye to. She was well on her way to eventing. Anywho, I'm a car guy and she's a horse chick so we both understand our equal levels of idiotic hobbies. She re-homed her horses and that was that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

:stare:

Dang. Didn't expect this much of a response, but thank you. So the JDM Astars seem to be decent so far? I planned on getting a conversion "array" for both the front parking lights and the brake lights and then just picking up bulbs for marker lights, reverse lights, and interior bulbs (dome and glovebox). I'm not too concerned about dash lighting as the instruments will be getting replaced anyway.

The thing is, I know in my heart that I could find the supplier for "jdm astar" direct on aliexpress or ebay and pay less money. But I'm just tired of looking and experimenting.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I say "gently caress it" and let your tail lights been seen from space: Cree LEDs. (congrats on now having the world's most expensive tail lights)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do you mean star board LEDs, made by Cree? Or some other combination? Cree makes everything from tiny smd LEDs, to big COB monstrosities.

I made a RGBW star board LED lighting panel, controlled by an arduino, that pulled weather info from a farmer's almanac database and simulated it for a fish tank. The biggest problem was power, and heat dissipation. Also the fact that the fucker was worth around $200 by the time I was done with it.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I just wanna replace my interior bulbs in the van. even though the color is noticeably cooler on the interior applications, the increased light is so worth it over the standard incandescent bulbs

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

I grew up with and am related to lots of people with Miatas.

They're insufferable, and generally can't hold a conversation that doesn't involve wheel weight and roll bars.

Hmm.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I got a couple of LEDs off ebay for my Camry's interior and trunk. It's awesome, just enough cool light to see everything you need to without being too bright.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

scuz posted:

poo poo, I never thought about it that way. There are a few large numbers next to the word "Balance" on couple of credit cards that I have, so I should probably focus on paying those down first before I start putting away any large amounts for my hobby garage.

edit: On that note, does anyone have any experience with consolidating their credit card debt? My bank and I were dumb enough to get a high-interest credit card that somehow (bad decisions) has nearly reached its maximum. Discover card offered a 0% interest w/o fees on transferred balances, but the amount for which I was approved wasn't nearly enough to cover the whole balance on the high-interest card. It's reached the point where I'm receiving offers in the mail from banks asking to help out, but they seem like a scam. :ohdear:

I had a 3k balance at one point and transferred it to a card provider that was doing 28 months interest free. A great weight off my shoulders with a standing order set up to cover the required monthly.

Now I've got 2k of moving house/furnishing expenses that I could either pay off from savings or bump up to 4k by trading in my e46 against a 100hp panda then transfer to 0% for 36 months. Interest free car loan sounds good to me but I'm sure someone will now tell me how it's a terrible idea.

Other than being a "performance" fiat I mean :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

I had a 3k balance at one point and transferred it to a card provider that was doing 28 months interest free. A great weight off my shoulders with a standing order set up to cover the required monthly.

Now I've got 2k of moving house/furnishing expenses that I could either pay off from savings or bump up to 4k by trading in my e46 against a 100hp panda then transfer to 0% for 36 months. Interest free car loan sounds good to me but I'm sure someone will now tell me how it's a terrible idea.

Other than being a "performance" fiat I mean :v:
I'd say if you can afford to pay the balance off before the end of the 36 months, there's no problem at all.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

scuz posted:

If you're carrying any CC balance at all month-to-month, you're throwing money down the drain. I'd prioritize paying that off over pretty much anything, because those interest rates will wreck you. Did you read the BFC Girl thread? (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319) She was carrying around something like $5,000 of CC debt with $15000 savings in the bank, and the #1 rule of that thread is NEVER DO ANYTHING SHE DOES

I've only ever carried a card balance one month (because I'd just moved and spent everything I had and didn't have my first paycheck yet) so I'm not super informed about consolidating debt, but I think bank debt consolidation is pretty legit. Maybe check with a local credit union? They seem to generally be less bloodthirsty than say Bank of America.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Pham Nuwen posted:

If you're carrying any CC balance at all month-to-month, you're throwing money down the drain. I'd prioritize paying that off over pretty much anything, because those interest rates will wreck you. Did you read the BFC Girl thread? (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319) She was carrying around something like $5,000 of CC debt with $15000 savings in the bank, and the #1 rule of that thread is NEVER DO ANYTHING SHE DOES

I've only ever carried a card balance one month (because I'd just moved and spent everything I had and didn't have my first paycheck yet) so I'm not super informed about consolidating debt, but I think bank debt consolidation is pretty legit. Maybe check with a local credit union? They seem to generally be less bloodthirsty than say Bank of America.

This is truth. I've carried balances from time to time (pay-period timing after having to make a major purchase, etc), along with being young, dumb, and really dumb, and having a huge CC debt that I could ~just~ afford the minimums on. Don't do that. Pay them off ASAP.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

scuz posted:

I'd say if you can afford to pay the balance off before the end of the 36 months, there's no problem at all.

It would also leave me with 2k more in my savings which might become important if I buy a sporty Italian car.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So one of my colleagues from my internship and one of my coworkers from my retail job both used me as their referral on the place i live in and I guess I don't have to pay rent for the next month?!

Any of you guys need a flat in Michigan?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Noise Complaint posted:

Horse racing is not loving animal cruelty.

This kind of blanket statement about a sport is ignoring the absolutely massive amount of owners and trainers that are doing good by their horses. These horses are bred for and truly love to run. They're cared for better than most household pets.

And you are making a blanket statement that is known to be false, just like I've heard over and over again. You are just like all of those greyhound owners that went on and on about how the sport was nto using live baiting and not destroying dogs - until they were caught on loving video live baiting and dropping failed dogs off bridges in bags. ALL your claims are just loving crap. 95% of all race horses become glue, the horses are forced to run for the pissweak entertainment of drunken fools all for the express purposes of feeding a hugely evil industry called gambling.

It most certainly animal cruelty and every single investigation has proven it time and time again - the industry over and over again gets caught with it's pants down with these same loving lies. And if hroses were cared for better than household pets, they would be too loving fat to run.

The fact it's all for gambling is especially abhorrent.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

When all people in the world are treated humanely, then I'll start giving a poo poo about the treatment of horses.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Do you guys want to go fight in PI?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

When all people in the world are treated humanely, then I'll start giving a poo poo about the treatment of horses.

Yeah this

Cakefool posted:

Do you guys want to go fight in PI?

PI is scary :saddowns:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And you are making a blanket statement that is known to be false, just like I've heard over and over again. You are just like all of those greyhound owners that went on and on about how the sport was nto using live baiting and not destroying dogs - until they were caught on loving video live baiting and dropping failed dogs off bridges in bags. ALL your claims are just loving crap. 95% of all race horses become glue, the horses are forced to run for the pissweak entertainment of drunken fools all for the express purposes of feeding a hugely evil industry called gambling.

It most certainly animal cruelty and every single investigation has proven it time and time again - the industry over and over again gets caught with it's pants down with these same loving lies. And if hroses were cared for better than household pets, they would be too loving fat to run.

In every one of your posts, you are entirely sure of your viewpoint, and it's always negative. I'm inclined to believe your viewpoint is the problem.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Today I decided that I am finally finished with my 13+ long project of building a little boat.

More pictures for those interested can be found in the scale modeling thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869&pagenumber=167#post452273916

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You are wrong and have no loving clue what you're talking about.

A local race track to me, Suffolk Downs, closed last year. Do you know what happened to all the animals that were kept there and were raced there? Were they turned into glue? No, they were adopted out to people who wanted horses for a nominal cost.

We've actually adopted a former race horse and my fiance is involved in OTTB rescue. I've been to race horse breeding facilities. I saw absolutely no evidence of any mistreatment of animals. What I did see was gorgeous land where a lot of animals got to roam around with all the grass they could eat.

I'm willing to concede that maybe it's different in your neck of the woods, but here in the US, it's just not how it's done.

I'm sorry you see everything in such a negative light. I really hope you can learn to find the positives in something, sometime, other than knocking on everything/everyone. I truly do.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mariooncrack posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out later.

In the old chat thread, there were suggestions for projects for developers fresh out of school. Can anyone repost those?

I'd PM this to you, but no pms. Was this what you were looking for?

Safety Dance posted:

There's a lot of finger-wagging in the industry about that. Yeah startups need experienced people, but 10 out of your first 10 hires don't need to be architects. There's a place in startups for fresh-out-of school folks who are willing to learn the new hotness languages / frameworks / datastores for only like $50k vs $100k.

If you're still in school, learn how to work as a team in Git (or SVN, or Perforce, or Visual Studio Team Whatever), learn test-driven development, and at least have a halfway decent concept of agile methodologies before you graduate. That'll put you ahead of most of your graduating cohort.

Hell, if you want to blow some people away, learn how to automatically build Docker images and build a small cluster using Puppet / Chef / SaltStack. Put that poo poo in your cover letter / on your resume.

CommieGIR posted:

Learn to use Jenkins. You'll thank me later.

Negromancer posted:

Yup, jenkins in combination with chef/puppet/salt/ansible is a great thing to have on your resume. IMO they are pretty easy to get started with too. Granted I have been messing with this type of stuff for ~7 years and have written entire stack deployment setups using chef/salt/ansible before.

Also, sorry if I missed someone's good suggestion. I just skimmed a bunch of posts and copied relevant-looking ones.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Yes it is! Thank you so much. I gotta start doing some side projects if I want to make it over to a development position.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geoj posted:

I get a lot of mine from autolumination.com, but their website is clunky and they only ship first class USPS from Arizona. Takes about a full week for me to get the package (in Ohio), but I've always been satisfied with their products. Most recently I added a pair of 3 watt (rated) amber 194s to the city lights in my Focus's factory HID headlights and they put out almost enough light to drive by.

I also recently picked up a set of 921s off of Amazon for my wife's reverse lights and I'm pretty happy with the results, the brand was JDM astar.

Worth noting, their connectors and sockets are absolute loving trash and I'll never buy from them again. Period. Any of their products.

They forgot to send me some of my poo poo, and I had to badger them for it. Then I discovered the terminals were made from awful thin ultra lovely brittle brass and were barely crimpable without failing, the plating was incredibly thin and would corrode off, and the supplied terminals wouldn't even stay in the housing.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm pretty sure being called out for making stupid blanket statements, to call noise out on it, only do it AGAIN is not your best move. Cite your sources showing how ALL racing is ALL CRUELTY ALL THE TIME.

:wtc: you guys... It's hilarious and sad at the same time!

Save a horse, ride a cowboy or some poo poo. :v:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

95% of race horses get turned into glue or dog food or whatever so where do these organizations get them?

http://canterusa.org/
http://www.goodhorse.org/
http://www.thoroughbredadoption.com/
http://www.rerunottb.com/
http://www.horseadoption.com/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Noise Complaint posted:

95% of race horses get turned into glue or dog food or whatever so where do these organizations get them?

http://canterusa.org/
http://www.goodhorse.org/
http://www.thoroughbredadoption.com/
http://www.rerunottb.com/
http://www.horseadoption.com/

Clearly those are Fieros made up to look like racehorses. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Worth noting, their connectors and sockets are absolute loving trash and I'll never buy from them again. Period. Any of their products.

They forgot to send me some of my poo poo, and I had to badger them for it. Then I discovered the terminals were made from awful thin ultra lovely brittle brass and were barely crimpable without failing, the plating was incredibly thin and would corrode off, and the supplied terminals wouldn't even stay in the housing.

Wait, whose? Autolumination.com or JDM Astar?

• Locked thread