Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I think it was still mostly funny through season 12, and a lot of it is still pretty funny if you just loosen the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The season premiere (which is one of those "Marge and Homer's marriage is really really about to end, you guys!" episodes they do every few years) had no less than three "It was all a dream" moments - and then we learn that Lena Dunham's character from Girls got a tattoo of the plot resolution.

Also Homer got fuckin' date-raped, yo

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

the one where they get a tennis court or the one where marge gets breast implants
or the one where they go on safari

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jubs posted:

When Phil Hartman died.
Yep :smith:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think it was still mostly funny through season 12, and a lot of it is still pretty funny if you just loosen the gently caress up.

The Simpsons was already loose as gently caress once you start loosening up enough to take Season 12 you might as well become your mother.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Flanders: Calm down, Neddly diddily diddily diddily, doodily. They did their best shodaiddily iddily iddily diddily diddily. Gotta be nice, hostidididildilidilly... aw, hell-diddly-ding-dong crap! Can't you morons do anything right?! [everyone gasps]

Marge: Ned! We meant well, and everyone here tried their best.

Flanders: Well, my family and I can't live in good intentions, Marge! Oh, your family's out of control, but we can't blame you, because you have good intentions!

Bart: Hey! Back off, man!

Flanders: Ooh, okay, dude! I wouldn't want you to have a cow, man! Here's a catch-phrase you better learn for your adult years: "Hey, buddy, got a quarter?" [everyone gasps]

Bart: I am shocked and appalled.

Lisa: Mr. Flanders, with all due respect, Bart didn't do anything.

Flanders: (sarcastic gasp of surprise) Do I hear the sound of butting in? It's gotta be little Lisa Simpson, Springfield's answer to a question no one asked!

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Fried Watermelon posted:

Flanders: Calm down, Neddly diddily diddily diddily, doodily.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's still good. You should watch it every week, hth.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

Wizgot posted:

I'm watching season 6 and am amazed at how good it is compared to the episodes today. Around what year/season should the Simpsons have been put down? Where would you say the Simpsons actually ended.

Sometime around season 10. It doesn't matter. There is no God, everyone you know and love dies, and eventually space/time will expand to such a point that the only existence is a single neutron whizzing though a vast, cold, blank empty cosmos that not even light can traverse. In the interim, the Simpsons seasons three through nine exist, and I would recommend acquiring them.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
it was good until they did the episode where Bart went to Applebees and Homer got circumcised that was the end of the series for me....

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the sequence where homer grew up a la "picture a day for seven years" meta was kind of cool

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
To paraphrase. If you look closely enough, with right set of eyes, you can almost see where the wave broke.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

The answer is Season 10.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

gently caress dude this is seriously loving with me.

like there I was sure there was no way that your post could have been real. it was just too stupid to be real.

and yet here it is.

gently caress me

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
has there ever been a The Siompsons character that had AIDS?? lol like can you imagine/?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nooner posted:

has there ever been a The Siompsons character that had AIDS?? lol like can you imagine/?

lenny and carl are poz hth

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TwoStepBoog posted:

the one where they get a tennis court or the one where marge gets breast implants
or the one where they go on safari

the safari episode is actually p funny

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

gently caress remarking when the show died. We should all just post the craziest plots we can think of and see if it's really an episode or not.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

bart has problems in schoon and only the superior intellect of steve jobs in the form of an ai on barts iphone can help him

lisa finds out that pizza guy has been using meat for his pizza dough and starts a campaign against false labelling

Postmastergeneral
Jan 11, 2005
Season 8. It was the chili cookoff episode/season premiere that killed it for me. Including, and everything after that episode was pure :circlefap:

Might as well watch family guy.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Wizgot posted:

I'm watching season 6 and am amazed at how good it is compared to the episodes today. Around what year/season should the Simpsons have been put down? Where would you say the Simpsons actually ended.

it died around 9/11

Most of them are quality before that point

Some ancient astronaut theorists believe that the Bush administration put something in the water at Twentieth Century Fox

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Nooner posted:

it was good until they did the episode where Bart went to Applebees and Homer got circumcised that was the end of the series for me....

also the episodes where marge got muscles and the tennis episode

really really flimsy premises

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Behind the laughter is the unofficial series finale, but there were only a few decent episodes in season 11. I really want some masochist to watch season 12 through whatever they are on now and tell me if there are any decent episodes at all.

Edit: I remembered that I've watched most of the Halloween episodes and those aren't too bad, but that is probably the high point of each season beyond 12.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

if you are curious what the Simpsons plots are like these days

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL31Jrv3uvZ440GXUL201mcqrmMRdtRPcm

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

When Homer joined the Navy. It was horrible and the show never recovered.

Palaiologos
Oct 29, 2015

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

spacemang_spliff posted:

like there I was sure there was no way that your post could have been real. it was just too stupid to be real.

and yet here it is.

gently caress me

I'm with you on that. When I saw this thread title, I was thinking I might check out the show again. Seeing that has effectively eliminated any chance of that occurring now.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

lorn Wayne posted:

my favorite episodes have to be Saddlesore Galactica where homer gets a racehorse, Kill the Alligator and Run and the Principal Skinner/Armin Tamzarian masterpiece.

*braces*

ftfy (the Frank Grimes episode was legit great)

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

TwoStepBoog posted:

the one where marge gets breast implants

This was the last one for me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kill the alligator has a funny as hell homer moment.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Look at this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fodo1Wo77bk

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

spacemang_spliff posted:

and yet here it is.

gently caress me
I'm pretty sure the writers just kept trying dumber and dumber plots in an attempt to mercy kill the series, were shocked the audience stayed, and without an exit strategy they are forced to drown their sorrow in whiskey and work for this cheaply outsourced, merchandised piece of poo poo until the end of time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DRUNKEN HICKS OF THE JURY

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Season 12 was pretty bad but many of the episodes still had some classic jokes worth remembering. Unfortunately it was also the season where a panda raped Homer.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

hey op get this one

get ready

the simpson went to poo poo
when
they
started
showing
apu

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nooner posted:

p sure smithers had the HIV

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
How have you guys gone nearly 2 pages without just posting zombie simpsons and being done with it..?

http://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/zs1/

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

gannyGrabber posted:

How have you guys gone nearly 2 pages without just posting zombie simpsons and being done with it..?

http://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/zs1/
what the gently caress kind of formatting is this

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

As a former horrible Simpsons messageboard nerd, it's generally accepted among Simpsons nerds that Season 9 (1997), when Mike Scully took over as showrunner and changed the tone of the show, was when it started to noticeably slip. Season 10 and the next few seasons saw further decline, then Al Jean took over as showrunner and has been riding the mediocrity train since 2001.

Though looking back on those Mike Scully episodes today, they weren't actually all that bad, but it was very jarring at the time.

And IIRC, Mike Scully wasn't even a fan of the show before getting the job. So, basically, Hollywood nepotism killed my childhood.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

They never animated the winner of who shot Mr burns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

When Homer joined the Navy. It was horrible and the show never recovered.

bull poo poo sir

that was a great episode

• Locked thread