Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

Does Bellator run shows in Texas? They're supposed to have the most lax athletic commission of them all.

Bellator just announced Shamrock vs Royce Gracie for 2016 in Houston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

oatgan posted:

Bellator just announced Shamrock vs Royce Gracie for 2016 in Houston

And Kimbo vs Dada 5000

For reference, of those 4 fighters, the youngest is 38

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Edge retired as TNA Linear Champion.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2014/03/18/who-is-the-linear-tna-world-heavyweight-champion/

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

its good that their linear title is as dead as their promotion

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
The guys with the most wins are Cena and Orton. :allears:

e: and Bully Ray. Sitting in 4th place is Paul Burchill.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lol I wasn't even aware TNA linear champion was a thing but it's perfect

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

bobkatt013 posted:

Its going to be on International waters.

Makes it easier to dispose of the body/bodies after the fight, too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Kurt Angle will die in the ring in an abandoned warehouse taping an episode of Bum Fights

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Kurt Angle will die in the ring in an abandoned warehouse taping an episode of Bum Fights

One of the saddest things I've seen to this day is late 2000s/early 2010s Kurt angle on some spikeTV show where you have to go up against professional athletes. He was weirdly assholish to all the guys competing and then when they actually wrestled he kind of sucked and was even taken down by one of them a few times

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

One of the saddest things I've seen to this day is late 2000s/early 2010s Kurt angle on some spikeTV show where you have to go up against professional athletes. He was weirdly assholish to all the guys competing and then when they actually wrestled he kind of sucked and was even taken down by one of them a few times

Pros Vs. Joes! I remember this! And yeah I think one of the guys was a college wrestler or something and actually did kinda well against him.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gail Kim confirms that the talent weren't told that the matches they filmed were for a World title tournament, which kind of blows up any idea that the World Title Series was planned from the start.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/smartmarkradio/2015/11/10/smartasses-radio-gail-kim-stephanie-osborn

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
James Storm said the same thing.

In those group studio interviews the talents do they don't make mention of the title.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

rovert posted:

James Storm said the same thing.

In those group studio interviews the talents do they don't make mention of the title.

When Storm said that (to a fake JR twitter no less), the Meccanites wrote it off as a disgruntled ex-employee. Kinda hard for them to do that when their bae Gail says it too.

The tournament was initially reported to be for a One Night Only PPV with no major stakes, which makes total sense.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
For fucks sake TNA just DIE ALREADY.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

fart blood posted:

TNA will have died but be kept alive another year by inconsistent shaky home video footage of five year old house show matches that is actually the "TNA KING OF THE MOUNTAIN 2016 TOURNAMENT"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

fart blood posted:

2015 TNA makes me think of that guy working for Christopher Walken in the Prophecy. The guy who should be dead, but is forced into a state of limbo where he's technically alive but not quite. Just suffering and falling apart while begging to be allowed to die to the point that you just feel kind of bad about the whole situation.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Gavok posted:

2015 TNA makes me think of that guy working for Christopher Walken in the Prophecy. The guy who should be dead, but is forced into a state of limbo where he's technically alive but not quite. Just suffering and falling apart while begging to be allowed to die to the point that you just feel kind of bad about the whole situation.

I didn't know Kurt Angle was in that movie

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

o like the victims in an American Werewolf in London? We have to kill the creators and then the victims will be free?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

o like the victims in an American Werewolf in London? We have to kill the creators and then the victims will be free?

More or less. Walken represents the Carter family.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I think I've reached the point where I don't want TNA to die. I want to see how far they can sink without giving up. What will it take? Being only on local fox sports channels? No TV in the US? In the world? Will they become an internet-only promotion, or return to weekly PPV?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Great White Hope posted:

I think I've reached the point where I don't want TNA to die. I want to see how far they can sink without giving up. What will it take? Being only on local fox sports channels? No TV in the US? In the world? Will they become an internet-only promotion, or return to weekly PPV?

PWInsider is implying that they've had talks with POP TV, which is a model where they would have to pay to put Impact on the air, but get a cut of whatever advertising they do. Since we all know how great TNA is at drawing ad revenue, this could be about as low as they go without throwing their content on Dailymotion and starting a Patreon scheme.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
This is starting to remind me of ECW back in 2001 when they were trying to find a new network. If only they could've gotten on Sports Time Ohio, they could've made it!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

PWInsider is implying that they've had talks with POP TV, which is a model where they would have to pay to put Impact on the air, but get a cut of whatever advertising they do. Since we all know how great TNA is at drawing ad revenue, this could be about as low as they go without throwing their content on Dailymotion and starting a Patreon scheme.

POP TV is the station that put on some random indy starred by Gangrel, Jesse Sorensen, and Wes Brisco at like 6 AM in the morning, so yeah, that could actually be lower than anything I named.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Can't wait for the Like and subscribe era of wrestling.

Seriously though TNA for all intents and purposes is dead and has been since Spike threw them off the air.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

This is starting to remind me of ECW back in 2001 when they were trying to find a new network. If only they could've gotten on Sports Time Ohio, they could've made it!

It's starting to remind me of TNA back in 2014, when they were trying to find a new network. Except of course now they have half the roster, and it's the poo poo half.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's starting to remind me of TNA back in 2014, when they were trying to find a new network. Except of course now they have half the roster, and it's the poo poo half.

Hey now, don't exaggerate, things aren't so bad. I mean, just look at their roster page. They still have Aries, Magnus, King, Storm, errm, MVP, Bully Ray, umm, you know what, I can't help but feel that TNA doesn't really giving a poo poo about updating their roster page anymore.

50 people listed, of which 6 are not with them anymore, 12 are knockouts, 2 are announcers, 1 is an MMA guy who hasn't really done anything, 1 can die anytime he enters the ring, 1 escaped from jail to sign more multi-year contracts, and at least 2 that I'm certain were only in TNA for a couple of matches without actually signing a contract.

drat that's a pathetic roster.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Germansimp posted:

Hey now, don't exaggerate, things aren't so bad. I mean, just look at their roster page. They still have Aries, Magnus, King, Storm, errm, MVP, Bully Ray, umm, you know what, I can't help but feel that TNA doesn't really giving a poo poo about updating their roster page anymore.

50 people listed, of which 6 are not with them anymore, 12 are knockouts, 2 are announcers, 1 is an MMA guy who hasn't really done anything, 1 can die anytime he enters the ring, 1 escaped from jail to sign more multi-year contracts, and at least 2 that I'm certain were only in TNA for a couple of matches without actually signing a contract.

drat that's a pathetic roster.

I don't understand it. They definitely update that page when they sign someone new - look, they added Everett and Lee and those guys were only signed a couple weeks ago. They just never take people down, it seems.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Again to no one's surprise but the denizens of TNAMecca:

"Regarding TNA President Dixie Carter teasing a possible reunion with TNA and Spike TV on Twitter last week, apparently there is nothing going on between the two sides.

A high-level Spike TV source noted to PWInsider that they haven't heard anything about TNA returning and another said it would be highly unlikely."

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

I hope that cult follows them to whatever station they go to and is their only advertiser, and they start co-promoting together. I want to see members of the TNA roster just slowly disappear and be replaced with identical looking dudes with shaved heads in robes

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

flashy_mcflash posted:

The tournament was initially reported to be for a One Night Only PPV with no major stakes, which makes total sense.

It doesn't actually make sense at all. 8 groups of 4 wrestlers is what, 48 matches? Before the next stages have begun. This could never have fit into their "one night only" model, although I could certainly see TNA extending a "one night only" to being two or more nights, probably with Josh Matthews barking about how the internet nerds don't like a PPV named "one night only" being longer than that.

I think this was just what they planned for the UK episodes on Challenge, assuming they were losing their US TV slot. I still think DA not-cancelling TNA after making them change all their PPV plans was a gigantic deliberate troll... or it would be if I believed they actually cared.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 10, 2015

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Great White Hope posted:

POP TV is the station that put on some random indy starred by Gangrel, Jesse Sorensen, and Wes Brisco at like 6 AM in the morning, so yeah, that could actually be lower than anything I named.

Oh hey, I get POP on my cable! It's wedged into the Esquire / E! / Bravo neighborhood of my listings. What's on this evening?

7 pm: Young and the Restless from earlier today
8 pm: Days of our Lives
9 pm: P S I Love You which is apparently a movie Hilary Swank was in
11:30 pm: Did You Hear About The Morgans, a Hugh Grant movie.

I dunno, this channel seems a little too high-class for TNA.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Again to no one's surprise but the denizens of TNAMecca:

"Regarding TNA President Dixie Carter teasing a possible reunion with TNA and Spike TV on Twitter last week, apparently there is nothing going on between the two sides.

A high-level Spike TV source noted to PWInsider that they haven't heard anything about TNA returning and another said it would be highly unlikely."

Would TNA Mecca even want Spike TV back? I thought the narrative was that Spike did nothing for them (except help pay for Hulk Hogan and advertise for them in Time Square and keep them on the air after doing exactly what they didn't want).

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

skaboomizzy posted:

Oh hey, I get POP on my cable! It's wedged into the Esquire / E! / Bravo neighborhood of my listings. What's on this evening?

7 pm: Young and the Restless from earlier today
8 pm: Days of our Lives
9 pm: P S I Love You which is apparently a movie Hilary Swank was in
11:30 pm: Did You Hear About The Morgans, a Hugh Grant movie.

I dunno, this channel seems a little too high-class for TNA.

That Hillary Swank movie is actually kind of sweet. I am occasionally a sucker for a cheesey, heart-string pulling romantic film.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

Would TNA Mecca even want Spike TV back? I thought the narrative was that Spike did nothing for them (except help pay for Hulk Hogan and advertise for them in Time Square and keep them on the air after doing exactly what they didn't want).

It's a grass is greener thing. They really miss that 300-500K viewers the company shed. I think theyve realized that TNA is never getting on a channel bigger than that again.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's a grass is greener thing. They really miss that 300-500K viewers the company shed. I think theyve realized that TNA is never getting on a channel bigger than that again.

Does anyone know where the mecca is even at currently? Weren't the main mod guy and even loving Nomdeplume abandoning ship a few weeks ago?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
It's the former TV guide network and owned by cbs. So it's probably has more carriers then DA has.

But it's probably buried in the listings. DA is atleast in the first 20 channels on the digital tier with time warner. USA is number 1 just as a reference point

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Does anyone know where the mecca is even at currently? Weren't the main mod guy and even loving Nomdeplume abandoning ship a few weeks ago?

It's very slow and boring there, at least last I checked.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dixie says the tournament semifinals will be in Mumbai on December

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceBurrito
Jan 6, 2013

It's TNA

• Locked thread