Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Does this still have a spot? I like writing and I like popcons, I'll probably just focus on the writing aspect of this one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

HiipFire posted:

edit: nevermind gently caress this sorry jon joe

That's okay this isn't real popcon, wait for winvirus's version in januaryish.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I already have mine written but I'm thinking of changing the perspective from third person omniscient to third person limited.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

uranus posted:

Just post it you nerd

I will after I decide to change it or not!

Meinberg posted:

Editing is for people I'm going to vote out.

Harsh and unfair.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I think the submission deadline and the reading + voting deadline should be separate.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 16, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

I'll allow it. Submissions by friday night, voting out Monday night?

That sounds good.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Protip: My eyes and the eyes of many readers glaze over at the word "prologue". You can have one, just don't call it a prologue.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

uranus posted:

my eyes glaze over at the word 'protip'

protip: i don't protip: blame you

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

uranus posted:

forums are acting up, jj, your post is blank!

thanks for the protip

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Chapter 1.1: Learning

Not only was she in manacles, but a long metal chain bound her to the executioner’s stage, as though this thirteen year old girl could escape the many guards dotted throughout the crowd of hundreds. Theodore looked at the girl’s face, her green eyes, and internally declared her innocent. Though he was only twelve, he was the son of viscount Eveningmarch, and swore to do everything in his power to save her.

A page cried out, “Adrellia, you have been sentenced to death for crimes against the kingdom, including burglary, theft, insurrection, and association with the League of the People. By law, you are entitled to either last words, or one minute of public prayer. Make your choice and be at peace.”

Adrellia opened her mouth, uttering only an “I-” before Theodore ran onto the stage and loudly declared, “I, Theodore Eveningmarch, son of viscount Eveningmarch, do hereby demand Adrellia’s immediate pardon and release into my custody.” He looked at her and gave a smile and a wink. She looked at him and gave neither, obviously too surprised to understand his generosity.

Theodore’s generosity was also misunderstood by another. “Boy! Boy, what are you doing?” His father ran to the front of the crowd, but was huffing from the short sprint. “Come down immediately, you are bringing shame to me!” His father was too wrapped up in his own boring social games to appreciate true action, the likes of which Theodore was displaying.

“But father, this girl is obviously innocent. I must save her, what would the king think if he saw us making such a mockery of his justice?” Theodore firmly argued, hoping to sway the crowd more than his father.

The crowd laughed at Theodore’s words, confusing him. Viscount Eveningmarch simultaneously wiggled and flopped onto stage, bringing more laughter. After hefting himself to stand, he lumbered to Theodore and, with a sweaty grasp, enveloped Theodore’s wrist. He spoke with spittle assaulting, “Are you stupid? It was the king who sentenced her!”

Theodore hesitated and looked towards the crowd. The guards hadn’t moved to intervene, yet. Turning back to his father, Theodore puffed his chest and yelled, “Our king is wrong!” He easily slipped away from his father, who had turned purple and started stuttering, defeated by rage. Theodore then faced the headsman, who stood tall and menacingly while wielding a rusty and blunt axe. “Release her!”

The headsman gave a simple, “No.” Theodore charged towards him. A mere executioner would never dare to harm a viscount’s son, so instead took the blow. Unfortunately for the headsman, Theodore was the right height to smash this tyrant in his vulnerable area. “Euuugh!” He folded to the floor, dropping his axe in favor of writhing. Some in the crowd gasped.

Theodore searched through the headsman’s pockets and found a key. He glanced towards the crowd and confirmed that guards were coming. “Don’t worry, I’ll save you. No matter what,” he promised to Adrellia as he unlocked her from her chains. In response to his gallant nature, she laughed. “What’s funny?” Theodore asked. As though to emphasize the question, several guards climbed onto stage and brandished their swords.

“Clownish boy, I don’t need your help. Now!” At her call, half of the guards on stage stabbed the others. The dead ones fell down. The living ones encircled Adrellia. The dead ones bled. The living ones shouted. The dead ones made Theodore dizzy. The living ones knocked him out.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Is your strategy to avoid being voted out by saying only nice things?

It's working.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Hal Incandenza's Novel in 5 Posts.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

Names are hard, okay?

Just do what I do and steal names from authors better than yourself, maybe changing a letter or two.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Funny, I also came up with a rating system.

I read your first two paragraphs. I rate how much I care on a scale of 1 to 10.
I read your last two paragraphs. You get a binary of: Do I care what happened in-between? If yes, I'll read and rate that in-between on a scale of 1 to 10. Otherwise you get a 0 in this section.

Thus 1 to 20 points are possible. Lowest score gets my vote, of course. I automatically get a 21.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Mr. modman what's the over/under on private communication to ask other players things related to writing, but not voting?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'd forgotten that, what do you edit again Ecco?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Gonna fail this round, but I'll be back to judge.

Keep writing, ya'll. Stay strong.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Still failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

Yeahhhhh I'm gonna cancel the game. Don't feel bad, it's just that the Thanksgiving weekend killed all the motivation and I don't have as much time to be around and post more and encourage you guys.

Fun concept! Just not the right time I guess.

Come thunderdome.

All of you who like writing, come thunderdome.

Reinborg Meinberg does it sometimes.

• Locked thread