Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Pick up the pace. Three reasons: We need to get there on time, in a condition to fight, in one piece. Going at full gallop down a narrow, winding path is both likely to end badly and to blow the horses before we need them to go into battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

We're dragoons. We don't actually charge our horses into battle, most of the time. Anyways, our particular detachment is supposed to occupy a fortified location, so horses aren't much of a concern.

Pick up the pace regardless.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

We're dragoons. We don't actually charge our horses into battle, most of the time. Anyways, our particular detachment is supposed to occupy a fortified location, so horses aren't much of a concern.

Makes sense. Pick up the pace.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
Pick up the pace. If when this whole plan goes belly-up, we'll need fresh horses to be able to run like hell.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Medium speed.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Do we have any idea how long duplicating seals should take? Without an answer to that question, the safe answer is plunge forward at a middling speed.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Medium speed.

How many men do we currently have under our command?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

GyverMac posted:

How many men do we currently have under our command?
Five, including Lanzerel.

(Is this the point where we start naming them after thread participants?)

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Pvt.Scott posted:

Do we have any idea how long duplicating seals should take?
Not happening. Crafting baneseals is a discipline unto itself. Placing them is a fairly painstaking process that relies on precise placement, detailed patterns, and the ability to sense the bane. Being a reasonably competent officer, we've budgeted enough time to place them, even if we go slow.

Ephemeron posted:

Five, including Lanzerel.

(Is this the point where we start naming them after thread participants?)
There's a few of them that are named, but they're little more than cameos - Campos, for example, is the best marksman in the squad but is only mentioned by name a couple of times. It really wouldn't be proper for an officer and baneblooded man to associate with the lower-classes that tend to make up the common soldiery. Even if they're respectable cavalrymen (rather than line infantry :barf:), they're still of a much lower social station than us.

We should pick up the pace in order to arrive in fighting trim with time to spare. We don't want to burn out the (notoriously temperamental) horses, but we definitely want to have time to do something before Colonel Hunter's Grenadiers arrive.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 27, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

You attempt to maintain a relatively quick pace on the way to the chosen point of battle. While you try to rest your horses as much as you can, you are still forced to push them to get to the bridge before noon.

quote:

The Kharan River bridge was built in the days of the Old Empire, spanning the wide, sluggish river at its narrowest point. A series of granite arches carry the roadway from one low bank of the Kharan to the other. The road itself is covered with logs, split and laid flat-side-up, to maintain a manageable surface during the rainy season.

On your side of the river, at the very edge of the river bank and not far from the road, stands an old toll house of fieldstone and wood. You send your men to scout and secure the area immediately across the bridge while you investigate the building.

The toll house is empty, but in good shape (the thing was abandoned when the King's Army took control of the bridge) and you quickly understand why Captain Hunter would choose for you to take position here. The walls are thick and solid, better to keep out both the harsh winter and Antari musket balls. The house itself possesses windows on the second floor facing the bridge: excellent firing ports. In addition, a low wall surrounds the main building and the ramshackle stables, allowing further protection for your horses.

After a few minutes your men return to report that the immediate area is clear.

quote:

With the area secure and your men's horses tied up in the stables, you must now take the time to carry out Captain Hunter's orders. You search the satchel and do indeed find a diagram, instructing you on how to set the baneseals in the proper positions.

Thankfully, the diagram itself is clear and Hunter's handwriting is readable enough for you to understand it without too much puzzling. The casting pattern is a simple one, requiring you to set the seals upon the trunks of the trees on the far riverbank. As you set your men to melting the wax, you begin preparing each of the strips of parchment.

As you count out the parchment strips, you come to the realization that the Captain's diagram is full of redundancies and double-sealings. You consider the possibility of arranging the seals more efficiently and using the remainder to extend the pattern, resulting in a more effective cast. Of course, you could also simply pocket the excess baneseals and sell them later: such tools of the banecaster's trade fetch exorbitant prices in almost any town.

You:

Ask my Sergeant for advice.

Asking for your Sergeant's advice is always a free action, so I'll always do it, unless anyone objects.

quote:

Sergeant Lanzerel doesn't even stop to think before telling you his mind.

"Sir, if you think you can make the pattern more effective, do it. Senior officers love fellows who use their initiative to win fights." With that in mind, you decide to:

Set the seals exactly as the diagram says. Hopefully, Captain Hunter knows what he is doing.

Try to set the seals down in a more efficient pattern, and use the rest to extend the pattern.

Try a more efficient pattern, and pocket the remaining seals to sell later.

quote:

Alaric d'al Sancroix
Wealth: 130
Income: 5

Soldiering: 24%
Charisma: 50%
Intellect: 60%
Health: 75%
Idealism: 33% Cynicism: 67%
Ruthlessness: 75% Mercy: 25%

Unit Information:
Senior NCO: Sergeant Lanzerel
Discipline: 40%
Morale: 30%
Loyalty: 30%

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
More efficient pattern and extend the pattern

Selling weapons?! What sort of bounder, what base canard or blackguard do you take us for?! We are here to kill the enemy and take their stuff. We will kill them to the very best of our considerable ability. We will not half-arse this, and we will not debase our standing, our honour and or self-respect by becoming a peddler rather than an officer.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I assume our intellect covers this banecasting claptrap. While money is great, we hustled here to buy time to prepare. Let's add some insurance to this risky plan with some potent mageickzs.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
More efficient pattern, using the rest to extend the pattern

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The captain made it redundant because it's our first fight and he expects us to screw things up, which we might. Let's be a good soldier and Follow orders (set the seals per the diagram)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
My gaming sense tells me that our Intellect covers this and passing the test means either money or a promotion. Common sense says that we make a bigger minefield and blast our own charging troops.

Let's make a bigger minefield

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Yeah we weren't told 'set these bad boys up', we were told 'set these bad boys up exactly in this way'. We've no latitude here; we'd be rightfully chewed out for doing anything other than following the instructions - if we survive.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

If they didn't want that kind of thing happening maybe they should have had some sort of formalized training standards and rules of engagement for their officer corps. More magic = more better. In real life I would follow that diagram to the letter unless I were somehow an accredited expert and the man who set it up was not.

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
Set it up the way captain fancypants told us to. He expects the blast to be a certain size, so while it would be fun to blow up our own dudes we might want to follow orders. I bet the redundancies are to ensure the blast goes off in any case.

This is interesting case actually, if I were the writer I would make it example of a higher stat causing a failure, "your too smart for own good ensign"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Maybe he just has cronies in the spiced wax industry.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Bozikek posted:

This is interesting case actually, if I were the writer I would make it example of a higher stat causing a failure, "your too smart for own good ensign"

Agreed. Making the process work perfectly but the consequences catastrophic would be a pretty neat touch. The money option should work perfectly well in this example.

On the other hand, CYOA. Better stats probably means better loot.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I don't remember the exact target number, but we've probably got a high enough Intellect to make this. Let's see if we can extend the pattern and hope everything goes better than expected.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 28, 2015

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

More explosives means more fun. Extend the pattern.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I can tell you right now that
Would you stop that?

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Let's just do what our boss tells us to do. Messing around with darck mayyjcks never ended well for anybody.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

You try your hand at placing a more efficient baneseal pattern on the trees standing on the opposite bank. Despite a few frustrating mistakes, you manage to set down a pattern which will get the job done and still leave you almost a hundred seals to spare.

You take the remaining seals and set them in a pattern of your own design around the wooden timbers of the bridge roadway. Should the wood of the timbers have been cut recently enough, the residual bane within would be enough to enhance the power of the banecast. You finally finish up, three hours after you first began.

quote:

With the baneseal pattern set up, the entire apparatus merely awaits a caster of sufficient calibre to unleash its destructive potential. In the meantime, you are left to your own devices while you wait for both the enemy and Captain Hunter's relief force to arrive. Three opportunities immediately appear to you:

The most obvious choice is to rub-down and feed your horses, who remain still somewhat fatigued after your ride from the outpost. Keeping your mounts healthy and ready to go would likely prove an asset in the coming battle.

Secondly, you could ensure that none of the Antari escape the trap prepared for them by cutting down a few trees and using them to block your end of the bridge. As treacherous as the roads are this time of year, the river is far worse. You have little doubt that a slow death by hypothermia awaits any fleeing Antari willing to take their chances in the icy water.

Lastly, there is the fact that while the toll house's windows are large enough to serve as firing ports, they are perhaps a bit too wide, leaving your men open to return fire. Taking the time to cut proper firing loops might lessen the chances of a lucky shot killing one of your men.

In the end, you decide to:

Care for the horses.

Block the road.

Cut firing loops.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Firing loops. We don't want to lose any of our meatshields.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

If I could be sure "block off the bridge" meant something other than "blatantly warn the enemy that an ambush is coming", I'd go with that. As it stands, caring for the horses cannot go amiss.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Its been three hours of rest for those horses. Rubbing them down is a luxury we cant afford. Getting shot is a bigger concern, so lets fix the Firing loops

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Xander77 posted:

If I could be sure "block off the bridge" meant something other than "blatantly warn the enemy that an ambush is coming", I'd go with that.

My thoughts exactly, but I think firing loops is a better idea. Maybe we'll win some loyalty. Or won't get killed.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I agree with firing loops.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Even though our troops are lower-class scum, it'd be more of a hassle to replace them than the horses. Cut firing loops so maybe they don't get shot in the face.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Cut firing loops. A dead Dragoon deals no DPS.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Firing loops is maximum expected value here. let the horses rest by resting, keep the ambush a secret, maximise damage given and minimise damage taken.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tiny holes for big surprises!

E: if the author has bothered to do any research, horses actually require a fair amount of attention, the big babies. This may catch up with us.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 28, 2015

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
If our horses start complaining too much, hopefully the author lets them still be useful to our troops.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We can always buy or requisition more horses once we get promoted. We can't get promoted if we die or can't stop them because we didn't prepare enough

Firing Loops

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Yes okay. Let's cut some firing loops.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Block the roads, firing loops won't matter if they just bumrush us from the bridge

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

You set your men to chipping away new firing loops along the walls of the the toll house facing the river and the bridge.

The work is hard. The toll house was clearly built with the threat of bandit attacks in mind. The walls are thick and the stones are sturdily mortared. However, after ninety minutes' toil, your men finally report that they now have more secure firing positions.

quote:

Just as your men finish their work, you begin to hear the sounds of boots marching to fife and drum behind you. Over the next few minutes, the sounds grow louder until finally, you see the Captain himself leading his column up the road on horseback, resplendent in the bane-hardened plate of a Knight of the Orders-Militant.

Captain Hunter rides up to you, his face a picture of exuberance.

"Ah! Cornet Sancroix, I trust that we are prepared to receive our Antari visitors?"

When you answer him in the affirmative, the Captain grins and dismounts, taking the reins in his hand.

"Good. We shan't have much longer before they decide to pay us a visit." He points out a smoke trail rising from the woods on the other side of the river.

"A party of locals wouldn't dare risk detection so close to the outpost, but a column of armed men would. They've likely stopped to warm up and rest their horses." Hunter pauses in thought for a moment, before frowning. "They wouldn't be doing that in the middle of the afternoon unless they're expecting a fight. Their leader must be a smart one: he knows that this bridge is our last chance to stop them."

Hunter looks over his shoulder and beckons the rest of his greatcloaked men to follow him.

"Well then. Let's get to our positions before they decide to press on." The Captain shoots you a serious expression as he walks past, his warhorse behind him. "Saints guide you Sancroix."

quote:

You and your men return to your positions within the toll house as Captain Hunter leads his Grenadiers across the bridge. You sit in anticipation, staring at the column of smoke in the distance.

A few minutes later, the Captain waves a yellow signal flag in your direction, telling you that all is in readiness. You relax for a moment, then realize that the rising smoke from the other side of the river is gone: the Antari have doused their fires and are back on the move.

Soon enough, you see the head of their column marching down the road. Their leader is a giant, bearded man on a large warhorse, resplendent in bane-hardened armour. From his back rise a pair of metal and leather frames, rising well over his head and covered with feathers in a way reminsicent of angel wings: he is an Antari Church Hussar, one of the most feared warriors on the continent.

The Antari looks to his sides. For a moment he pauses, staring at where you know Captain Hunter has hidden himself. Then, after a moment, he shakes his head and rides on.

The Antari mutters something to the standard bearer beside him: a scrawny man carrying on his shoulder a banner emblazoned with a grizzly bear rampant with a greatsword. A series of heavy carts follows them, surrounded on all sides by a massive mob of rag-tag infantry.

quote:

As soon as the enemy Commander sets foot on the bridge, you feel the sensation of a banecaster at work, pulling you towards Captain Hunter's position. The Antari commander feels it too. You see him turn in his saddle, but it is too late.

You hear the staccato sound of splintering wood in the distance. From your distant vantage point, you can see the trees on the opposite side of the river bend, twist and finally disintegrate into a storm of wooden shrapnel. As the Antari column buckles and scatters under this unexpected onslaught, the split logs on the roadway of the bridge begin to tremble before lifting themselves loose and hurling themselves at the Antari column as if thrown by a gigantic hand. The heavy pieces of wood crash through the confused Antari like cannonballs through a field of wheat, smashing men to paste and tearing them into pieces. Your ears ring from their distant screams of pain.

From the tollhouse, you see the Antari commander pick himself off the ground, his magnificent warhorse turned to a gory ruin, his armour scored and bloodied. You see him pick up the tattered remains of his flag from the shattered corpse of his standard bearer. You hear him bellow orders in the primally melodic tongue of the Antari as he tries to bring his men to order.

quote:

Then you see half a hundred black specks fly from the forest in high arcs and land on the road. Explosions rock the chaotic mass of the Antari column as each of the grenades burn through their fuses and explode.

The already shattered Antari formation begins to disintegrate into an unordered mob. Some run for the woods, only to be cut down by a sudden volley of musketry. Captain Hunter has sprung his trap.

From the other side of the river, you can hear your commander crying for blood as his men charge out of the forest with fixed bayonets.

"Tierra and Victory! Kill them all!"

quote:

What little you can see of the battle is a chaotic tangle of limbs, bodies and steel. Obscured by the swirling clouds of powder smoke, the already-chaotic nature of hand to hand combat becomes pure confusion to your eyes. As the smoke begins to clear, you begin getting a better glimpse of the situation.

Attacked from both sides, the Antari are not doing particularly well. With the superior reach of their bayonets, the Grenadiers are slowly whittling down the numbers of the remaining Antari defenders. A dozen or so Antari try to escape over the bridge, but your men quickly open fire on them.

The firefight does not last long. Your men exchange a few volleys with the Antari. A few Antari balls pockmark the stone wall and a few more smash through the windows, but none are able to hit your men.

After two or three minutes of firing back and forth, the small band of Antari facing you lose any stomach for battle. The three or four still on their feet hurl themselves into the river, preferring to take their chances with the icy current.

quote:

With your attention turned back to the battle, you see that the situation has taken a turn for the worse. Fighting at the head of his men, the armoured Antari commander is cutting a swathe through the Grenadiers trying to stop him from escaping. Likewise, Captain Hunter is laying about left and right with the burning blade of his longsword, clearing a charred path of carnage as he tries to engage the retreating Hussar.

You take a look at your men. Their rifled carbines are accurate enough to make some slight difference in the distant melee but you know that the meagre weight of fire your small unit could throw would hardly allow you control the course of the fighting. However, you note that the Antari are still entirely unguarded on the flank facing you. A mounted charge would be risky, but might be just the thing needed to force the enemy to capitulate.

Thinking quickly, you shout an order to your men:

"Let us give the Grenadiers some supporting fire from here!"

"Mount up! We're going to charge the enemy!"

quote:

Alaric d'al Sancroix
Wealth: 130
Income: 5

Soldiering: 24%
Charisma: 50%
Intellect: 60%
Health: 75%
Idealism: 33% Cynicism: 67%
Ruthlessness: 75% Mercy: 25%

Unit Information:
Senior NCO: Sergeant Lanzerel
Discipline: 40%
Morale: 30%
Loyalty: 30%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Charge!

We don't have sufficient weight of fire to impact the battle, and we have done our duty at our post. We must take the risk and trust to the extensive drilling of our men to exploit the enemy's weakness.

• Locked thread