Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I keep seeing friends of mine on Facebook trying to sell something called a Dragonbox

1) why are these friends all of a sudden suppliers of electronics

2) how are they turning a profit

3) what the gently caress is a DragonBox

The only thing I can muster up from my half-assed googling of this is that it's a cheap HTPC running Android. How it's different than a FireTV I have no idea. None of the "Dragonboxes" ever have the DragonBox terminology anywhere on the packaging. Can a FireTV be a Dragonbox? Or is it one specific cheap Chinese Android device and why the gently caress do numerous friends of mine flood my feed with them selling it?

I literally watched 4 youtube videos to understand and all I get are chavs talking about how to plug in the HDMI ports and scrolling around the menus a bit effectively wasting my time.

By the way these people I know that are peddling them on Facebook aren't really the MLM or Cutco types so I was very surprised to see them spamming with whatever the hell this device is.

I figured maybe one of you guys were privy to the hip lingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
some kinda dragon-kin sex toy, op

your friends are all degenerate perverts

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

A misanthrope posted:

some kinda dragon-kin sex toy, op

your friends are all degenerate perverts

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

it's a box you store your drippy dragon in

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Oddly enough, when you Google it, the first link is to their website that has descriptions of what it is and what it does. It doesn't seem to be rocket science.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

The Dragon Boxes are a series of large and elaborate DVD box sets, containing a certain portion of episodes from one of the Dragon Ball series animes. A total of five Dragon Boxes have been released which, altogether, span the entire television series, as well as all of the movies. These DVD box sets released in Japan are considered by some of the Dragon Ball fan-base to be the definitive collector's sets. The boxes do not contain English subtitles, as most DVDs issued within Japan do not feature them.

Contents[show]
Restoration
The film for the episodes/movies on the Dragon Box sets have been fully restored from the original 16mm film reels, effectively cleaning the film, frame by frame, of all dirt and scratches and most of the grain. The frame alignment has also been fixed, removing almost all cases of jitter. The episodes are also presented completely uncut, including the complete opening credits, ending credits and episode previews, which are not available outside of the Dragon Box release (although they are now available on the Japanese single DVD releases).

Dragon Box releases
Dragon Ball
On July 7, 2004, the original Dragon Ball anime series was released in the Dragon Box format. This set included the entire series, spanning 153 episodes, and came with another "Dragon Book" and an exclusive World Martial Arts Tournament diorama designed by the creator of the series, Akira Toriyama.

Dragon Ball Z
Dbox1
The cover of Dragon Box Z Volume 1
The first Dragon Box (Volume 1) was released in Japan on March 19, 2003 at a price of ¥100,000 ($841.15 US or £429.62). The set spanned the first half of the Dragon Ball Z series, containing episodes 1 through 147, and the first Dragon Ball Z TV special. It also included a large amount of bonus features such as comparisons of international versions of Dragon Ball Z and several commercials. The set also included an exclusive Goku action figure, as well as a reference book on the series called the "Dragon Book".

Dbox2
The cover of Dragon Box Z Volume 2
A second Dragon Box (Volume 2) was released on September 18, 2003 with the same price tag as the first one, and included the remainder of the Dragon Ball Z series, episodes 148 through 291 and the second TV special. This set also contained a large amount of DVD extras including more commercials and the entire Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans OVA. Also included with the set was another "Dragon Book", and an exclusive Piccolo action figure.

Dbox3
A picture is created by Volumes 1 and 2
In late 2005 the Dragon Box Z DVDs were re-released in single volumes with six episodes per disc, for a total of 49 separate volumes. While the packaging and DVD menus are different from the 2003 release, the same episode masters as the Dragon Box are still used. The two TV specials were repackaged in a standalone set called the Dragon Ball Z Special Selection DVD, which was released on August 5, 2011. This set used the same masters as the Dragon Box, albeit at a higher video bitrate and a lower audio bitrate than what was seen in the Dragon Box. The Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku OVA has not yet been re-released by itself.

Dragon Ball GT
Dbox4
The cover of Dragon Box GT
On February 28, 2005, like Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z before that, Dragon Ball GT was released in the Dragon Box format covering all 64 episodes of Dragon Ball GT, along with the TV Special Dragon Ball GT: A Hero's Legacy. The set includes a "Dragon Book" and a universal remote control in the shape of a Dragon Radar. The TV Special has not been re-released.

The Movies
DBox Movies
The cover of Dragon Box: The Movies
April 14, 2006 saw the release of all of the Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z movies in Dragon Box format. This set included 8 DVDs, another "Dragon Book", and two exclusive life size transceivers, functional walkie-talkies modeled after the scouters used in the Dragon Ball Z TV series.

While these movies were originally presented in 16:9 in Japan, they had been animated in 4:3 and were cropped to fit the 16:9 aspect ratio. This resulted in some loss of the image, though this was kept in mind when animating the movies so nothing important would be lost. Strangely, all of FUNimation and Pioneer's releases of the movies were the 4:3 versions without the cropping, save some slight zooming in, which is common on FUNimation's Dragon Ball DVDs. The versions used in the Dragon Box are the 16:9 versions that were shown in movie theaters and released on VHS in Japan.

US release
The first volume of the FUNimation Dragon Box Sets were released In North America on November 17, 2009. The second was released on the February 16th, 2010. The third box set was released on May 4, 2010 and the fourth box was released September 21, 2010. The fifth box was released on April 26, 2011. Each US Dragon Box contains 42 episodes each in 4x3 with the English dub with original Japanese score in 5.1 as well as the original Japanese mono audio track running at a higher bit rate than the previous season set releases. Each box also contains a Dragon Book which has episode summaries, original Japanese names, and other entertaining information.

Gallery
SANY0961
The boxes' spine pictures
SANY0963
The boxes' back pictures
Dragonbook1
First Dragon Book
Dragonbook2
Second Dragon Book
DragonbookGT
Dragon Book GT
DragonBallZFactFile37
Dragon Ball Z Fact File 37
DragonBallZFactFile38
Dragon Ball Z Fact File 38
BuuPower13(DragonBook)
Goku's anime-only line about Kid Buu being on a different level than all the others (Dragon Book 2)
BuuPower13
Kid Buu described as having the smallest and most childlike body out of all the Buus, but also the "most formidable power and ability"

Add a photo to this gallery
Categories:
Dragon Ball Dragon Ball Z Dragon Ball GT Dragon Ball media DVD

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
my friend's dad roped him into buying one of these for like $300. as far as I can tell it's a kodi-based htpc with some repositories for pirated shows already included out of the box, seems pretty sketchy

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

Stop using facebook dumbass. It's a poo poo site about self obsessed losers, memes and spam oh plus LOTS of e drama

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

Stop using facebook dumbass. It's a poo poo site about self obsessed losers, memes and spam oh plus LOTS of e drama

It's okay not to have friends, you don't have to be Militant Anti Facebook

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

It's okay not to have friends, you don't have to be Militant Anti Facebook

lol what if people really were militant about social media

i would genocide the mommy bloggers

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

I love watching married couples have passive aggressive arguments over facebook for public display.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

It's like reading a never ending stream of people talking about themselves and circle jerking over eachother. loving narcissistic cunts. Why do you need 30 photos of you splattered all over your page like poo poo on a Chinese man tried to use a us toilet. Please someone validate my existence with a button

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

someone at my job place sells hacked amazon firesticks for a hundo a pop. its just links to streaming pirated media from what ive heard. 'mega cool' repkrts one buyer.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

I only post about how I left ur mom's box dragon on my facebook internet feed comment like and subscrirbe

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
it's an anatomically correct dragon vagina/flesh light

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

social vegan posted:

I only post about how I left ur mom's box dragon on my facebook internet feed comment like and subscrirbe

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Polygoon Window posted:

someone at my job place sells hacked amazon firesticks for a hundo a pop. its just links to streaming pirated media from what ive heard. 'mega cool' repkrts one buyer.

So basically in few months, all the links are broken and nothing works anymore?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

The like button isn't working WTF

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Oddly enough, when you Google it, the first link is to their website that has descriptions of what it is and what it does. It doesn't seem to be rocket science.

yeah but

1) why has this become a "thing" that numerous people are now selling like they're tupperwear

2) does ANY device become a Dragonbox if you just install XBMC/Kodi on it?

3) How in the holy hell is it legal to sell? I don't mean my friends, I mean on their website

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Aslyum film's Harrold Potter and the Dragon Box

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Ratjaculation posted:

The Dragon Boxes are a series of large and elaborate DVD box sets, containing a certain portion of episodes from one of the Dragon Ball series animes. A total of five Dragon Boxes have been released which, altogether, span the entire television series, as well as all of the movies. These DVD box sets released in Japan are considered by some of the Dragon Ball fan-base to be the definitive collector's sets. The boxes do not contain English subtitles, as most DVDs issued within Japan do not feature them.

Contents[show]
Restoration
The film for the episodes/movies on the Dragon Box sets have been fully restored from the original 16mm film reels, effectively cleaning the film, frame by frame, of all dirt and scratches and most of the grain. The frame alignment has also been fixed, removing almost all cases of jitter. The episodes are also presented completely uncut, including the complete opening credits, ending credits and episode previews, which are not available outside of the Dragon Box release (although they are now available on the Japanese single DVD releases).

Dragon Box releases
Dragon Ball
On July 7, 2004, the original Dragon Ball anime series was released in the Dragon Box format. This set included the entire series, spanning 153 episodes, and came with another "Dragon Book" and an exclusive World Martial Arts Tournament diorama designed by the creator of the series, Akira Toriyama.

Dragon Ball Z
Dbox1
The first Dragon Box (Volume 1) was released in Japan on March 19, 2003 at a price of ¥100,000 ($841.15 US or £429.62). The set spanned the first half of the Dragon Ball Z series, containing episodes 1 through 147, and the first Dragon Ball Z TV special. It also included a large amount of bonus features such as comparisons of international versions of Dragon Ball Z and several commercials. The set also included an exclusive Goku action figure, as well as a reference book on the series called the "Dragon Book".

Dbox2
A second Dragon Box (Volume 2) was released on September 18, 2003 with the same price tag as the first one, and included the remainder of the Dragon Ball Z series, episodes 148 through 291 and the second TV special. This set also contained a large amount of DVD extras including more commercials and the entire Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans OVA. Also included with the set was another "Dragon Book", and an exclusive Piccolo action figure.

Dbox3
In late 2005 the Dragon Box Z DVDs were re-released in single volumes with six episodes per disc, for a total of 49 separate volumes. While the packaging and DVD menus are different from the 2003 release, the same episode masters as the Dragon Box are still used. The two TV specials were repackaged in a standalone set called the Dragon Ball Z Special Selection DVD, which was released on August 5, 2011. This set used the same masters as the Dragon Box, albeit at a higher video bitrate and a lower audio bitrate than what was seen in the Dragon Box. The Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku OVA has not yet been re-released by itself.

Dragon Ball GT
Dbox4
On February 28, 2005, like Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z before that, Dragon Ball GT was released in the Dragon Box format covering all 64 episodes of Dragon Ball GT, along with the TV Special Dragon Ball GT: A Hero's Legacy. The set includes a "Dragon Book" and a universal remote control in the shape of a Dragon Radar. The TV Special has not been re-released.

The Movies
DBox Movies
April 14, 2006 saw the release of all of the Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z movies in Dragon Box format. This set included 8 DVDs, another "Dragon Book", and two exclusive life size transceivers, functional walkie-talkies modeled after the scouters used in the Dragon Ball Z TV series.

While these movies were originally presented in 16:9 in Japan, they had been animated in 4:3 and were cropped to fit the 16:9 aspect ratio. This resulted in some loss of the image, though this was kept in mind when animating the movies so nothing important would be lost. Strangely, all of FUNimation and Pioneer's releases of the movies were the 4:3 versions without the cropping, save some slight zooming in, which is common on FUNimation's Dragon Ball DVDs. The versions used in the Dragon Box are the 16:9 versions that were shown in movie theaters and released on VHS in Japan.

US release
The first volume of the FUNimation Dragon Box Sets were released In North America on November 17, 2009. The second was released on the February 16th, 2010. The third box set was released on May 4, 2010 and the fourth box was released September 21, 2010. The fifth box was released on April 26, 2011. Each US Dragon Box contains 42 episodes each in 4x3 with the English dub with original Japanese score in 5.1 as well as the original Japanese mono audio track running at a higher bit rate than the previous season set releases. Each box also contains a Dragon Book which has episode summaries, original Japanese names, and other entertaining information.

Gallery
SANY0961
SANY0963
The boxes' back pictures
Dragonbook1
First Dragon Book
Dragonbook2
Second Dragon Book
DragonbookGT
Dragon Book GT
DragonBallZFactFile37
DragonBallZFactFile38
BuuPower13(DragonBook)
Goku's anime-only line about Kid Buu being on a different level than all the others (Dragon Book 2)
BuuPower13
Kid Buu described as having the smallest and most childlike body out of all the Buus, but also the "most formidable power and ability"

Categories:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
lol this is the new version of ppl calling your house asking for your credit card congrats op you're just old enough to start wasting your time falling for this poo poo!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

People are dumb. You can even recycle century old schemes and adjust them a bit to appeal to social media idiots.

That dumb pyramid scheme gift exchange is an excellent example.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Posting from My dragonbox

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Dr. Lariat posted:

Posting from My dragonbox

Streaming poo poo posts in glorious 1080p.

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

Facebook is like a grown up of the teenager filled myspace. Less fun more formal filled with depressed old fucks

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

Facebook is like a grown up of the teenager filled myspace. Less fun more formal filled with depressed old fucks

MySpace was pretty dumb and gay but I do miss that you could gently caress around with stylesheets and poo poo on your profile. I had like 5 videos autoplay all at once while the background flashed a bunch of colors and gifs and poo poo floated all over the place. All you can really do on Facebook is post gross pictures and start stupid political arguments.

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

FIRST TIME posted:

MySpace was pretty dumb and gay but I do miss that you could gently caress around with stylesheets and poo poo on your profile. I had like 5 videos autoplay all at once while the background flashed a bunch of colors and gifs and poo poo floated all over the place. All you can really do on Facebook is post gross pictures and start stupid political arguments.

The internet needs to bring back floating low rez gifs

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

More home pages.

More gifs of poo poo rotating on those pages.

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

The Sphinxster posted:

More home pages.

More gifs of poo poo rotating on those pages.

I want a counter to tell me how many people came to my site today

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Does it have to be accurate?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
facebook is the commercials of the internet

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

thats a happy tree

Also why do people need these box things? Like I just use websites to watch tv shows and pay nothing!

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

FIRST TIME posted:

People are dumb. You can even recycle century old schemes and adjust them a bit to appeal to social media idiots.

That dumb pyramid scheme gift exchange is an excellent example.

Oh I didn't know it was a pyramid thing. I thought dragonbox sells these htpcs with some dragonbox software, but people were buying cheaper htpcs and making them into a dragonbox and selling them for a profit or something.

I'm still confused is what I'm saying.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Melmac posted:

Oh I didn't know it was a pyramid thing. I thought dragonbox sells these htpcs with some dragonbox software, but people were buying cheaper htpcs and making them into a dragonbox and selling them for a profit or something.

I'm still confused is what I'm saying.

I don't know about DragonBox being a pyramid scheme, just referencing a current trending scheme as showing how dumb people are.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's an educational game app that teaches algebra to toddlers, my kids really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ratjaculation posted:

Contents[show]
Restoration

Dragon Box releases
Dragon Ball

Dragon Ball Z
Dbox1

Dbox2

Dbox3

Dragon Ball GT
Dbox4

The Movies
DBox Movies

US release

Gallery
SANY0961
SANY0963
The boxes' back pictures
Dragonbook1
First Dragon Book
Dragonbook2
Second Dragon Book
DragonbookGT
Dragon Book GT
DragonBallZFactFile37
DragonBallZFactFile38
BuuPower13(DragonBook)
BuuPower13

Categories:

• Locked thread