Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

To be fair, i almost grinched my Santee the first year I participated. I had to overnight a gift late in the season.

If you let life overcome you, it's easy to gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Howdy!

I realize I'm super late this year, and totally accept the Hall of Shame recognition for it. May the lord santa have mercy on my soul.

I could give you excuses for that, but they won't be worth the words I spend it on.

Please de-grinch Rhjamiz. I will promise (for what I realize is worth in the eyes of the all mighty santa at this point little) that my gift will make it his way. Not necessarily at a particular point, and certainly not by Christmas 15', but it will make it's way.

Also, Leperfish, I realize you probably don't want to share your address, but if there's a thing I can do for you as well, lemme know. You've been more than fair as a host of this event.

Won't participate next year. It's an amazing pool you have here, I'm sorry I wasn't able to rise to their level of commitment.

by all means, quote this post with "you piece of poo poo" until I've provided comeuppance.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

EatinCake posted:

Howdy!

I realize I'm super late this year, and totally accept the Hall of Shame recognition for it. May the lord santa have mercy on my soul.

I could give you excuses for that, but they won't be worth the words I spend it on.

Please de-grinch Rhjamiz. I will promise (for what I realize is worth in the eyes of the all mighty santa at this point little) that my gift will make it his way. Not necessarily at a particular point, and certainly not by Christmas 15', but it will make it's way.

Also, Leperfish, I realize you probably don't want to share your address, but if there's a thing I can do for you as well, lemme know. You've been more than fair as a host of this event.

Won't participate next year. It's an amazing pool you have here, I'm sorry I wasn't able to rise to their level of commitment.

by all means, quote this post with "you piece of poo poo" until I've provided comeuppance.

Literally don't understand how 30 seconds of effort on Amazon was impossible for you. You don't even have to touch the package.

Edit: I don't why this legitimately pisses me off. That you had told LeperFlesh multiple times that your package would be shipped (indicating you had even already bought it), that you seemed to ignore emails/PMs, that you've basically said "someone else spend money on this guy, I can't be hosed," or the really forced and insincere attempt to lighten up your post with bad "all mighty santa" humor.

Someone earlier mentioned TGSS as one of the few gifts they receive during the holiday season and how they looked forward to it (not your santee I think though), and I guess that really hit a chord with me.

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 21, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What kind of person would I be if I accepted a personal gift from you, EatinCake? Can you not see how, ethically, that'd be wildly inappropriate? I'm responsible for upwards of a hundred strangers' personal information, and facilitating several thousand dollars in transactions, and all of the people taking part take a huge leap of faith that I won't abuse my power or take advantage of their willingness to share personal information with me. A critical part of my duties is resolving disputes. Taking personal gifts from someone who broke the rules would directly taint my impartiality.

To put it more clearly: you don't owe me anything, I'm not the one you cheated, and I don't need or want anything from you for myself.

I'm glad you were willing to show your face, but Drone is right: a chipper, cheerful attitude is inappropriate here. I'm glad you recognize that you won't participate next year, but it's not an option you get to select, you see. I appreciate you're promising to eventually send Rhjamiz a gift someday, but so far, your promises have proven empty, to wit:

EatinCake posted:

Vow: I promise to not be an rear end in a top hat grinch.

A goon has already purchased and shipped de-grinching presents for Rhjamiz. That goon is spending their own money with no expectation of reimbursement and no commensurate gift back to them. They are spending that money because you failed to do so. I hope you do send your gift to Rhjamiz, and I feel bad for Rhjamiz because it may be difficult for him to enjoy that gift, knowing that it was sent by someone who had such casual disregard for his feelings. It's hard to think of something as a "gift" when the person giving it so clearly didn't give a poo poo about you, you know?

The thing that is most glaringly absent from your post is the one thing I actually asked you to do in this thread, which is to apologize to the person you victimized.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 21, 2016

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Drone posted:

Someone earlier mentioned TGSS as one of the few gifts they receive during the holiday season and how they looked forward to it (not your santee I think though), and I guess that really hit a chord with me.

It wasn't me, but the sentiment holds. Christmas is my favorite time of year and I enjoy both gift-giving and opening gifts, no matter how small. I look forward to it every year.

Holy poo poo, this whole post drips with insincerity. Even across the internet, I can tell you cannot be bothered to give a poo poo.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Drone posted:

Literally don't understand how 30 seconds of effort on Amazon was impossible for you. You don't even have to touch the package.

Edit: I don't why this legitimately pisses me off. That you had told LeperFlesh multiple times that your package would be shipped (indicating you had even already bought it), that you seemed to ignore emails/PMs, that you've basically said "someone else spend money on this guy, I can't be hosed," or the really forced and insincere attempt to lighten up your post with bad "all mighty santa" humor.

the reason this pisses you off is that this guy is literally a thief. He took from a collective effort, didn't return anything and now is trying to smile and say 'but guuuuuuuuuys'.

EatinCake posted:

you piece of poo poo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Drone posted:

That was me. I participated because I don't really have a really close family or social circle of friends. I'm not exactly a shut-in total loser, just that all the people that I was tight with have sort of moved on, both in terms of geography, and in starting families of their own where a lot of their energy goes. I get gifts for my kids who live with my ex and ex during the week, and my siblings do a Secret Santa where we each draw one other name, and that's the only real gift giving/receiving I do. It worked out great and my santee enjoyed Dominion and I still haven't gotten around to painting my steampunk factory Warmahordes terrain so it'll be like getting the gift all over when it hits my painting table, and again when I get to show it off on the gaming table. :3:

I don't presume to know Rhjamiz' situation, but I relate to the suck of getting grinched based on mine. I can be a bit of a flake about things, and am definitely just North of working poor so thirty bucks is not nothing. So I gave some serious thought before I signed up to "Is there any reason I am going to gently caress this up and grinch?" before I committed.

And yeah "Eh, someone else degrinch him I'll do a nondiscript thing maybe at some point in spite of having made and broken multiple concrete commitments to do so prior to now" is like, the opposite of being contrite about the whole thing dude. The fact that you can't even come out and actually, directly say "I am sorry, Rhjamiz, that I grinched you on Goddamned Christmas" and have this glib :shrug: :smug: thing going on.

I'm not going to waste any more words on that, though. A 1% Real lovely Guy rate on this means 99% of goons did The Good Thing and delighted or at least satisfied their santee. This was cool. TTG Secret Santa Goons are cool. I'm going to participate again next year as long as I'm not living in a library with a cyst growing on my neck and my pets rehomed with Mormons. It was an awesome goonsmas and has given me another thing to look forward to next Christmas.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Regarding the 30$ recommendation, I think it's a good sum considering that people are free to spend more if they want to. I'm wary about raising the pot, because this is an international event and 30$ means a lot of different things in different countries. Raising the pot has a risk of excluding goons from countries without a strong economy.

EatinCake posted:

you piece of poo poo

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Getting grinched is always terrible, but man, what an unfortunate victim choice. You piece of poo poo!

As for the expensive gift tier, I've briefly entertained an idea for something like declared $60 gift = two $30 gifts rather than splitting it into separate tier, but
A) It was a dumb, terrible idea that wouldn't actually change a thing other than being a logistical nightmare
B) On further thought, it occured to me it could actually suck some generosity out of secret santa?

What I mean by the latter is that I went overboard with both gifts for no real reason other than "eh, gently caress it, it's christmas time" - namely, I got an idea I thought will be cool (the deli thing for Potatocubed) after essentially completing what I initially aimed for and then felt obliged to up the other because it'd be super lame to send one santee half the gift the other has got. If there was an expensive gift tier, I'd probably thought "man, should have gone for the $50 gift in the first place".

I don't think anyone here is really serious about ~*gift dollar to cheer efficiency*~ when they sign up for what is essentially an educated guess of a random internet weirdo, but I feel it's the kind of a thing that could make one more self-conscious whether they realize it or not.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

EatinCake posted:

You piece of poo poo.

Seriously though, I dunno how you waltz in here "awwww shucks guys" after screwing over your Santee. I don't even see an "I'm sorry" to Rhjamiz in there.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

EatinCake posted:

gently caress off you insincere piece of poo poo.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

EatinCake more like EatinShit.

If I was wittier I'd redtext this rear end in a top hat.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Thats it! For christmas, let the grinched redtext the grinchee for free!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
There was a survey? I think I missed the survey.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There is a survey! It's not too late to participate:

Leperflesh posted:

Please Fill out this survey, if you have time! You can fill it out even if you didn't participate in TGSS this year. Please note that putting your name in is voluntary: you are welcome to leave anonymous feedback, if you prefer. However, please do not fill out multiple forms. Thanks!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

jivjov posted:

You piece of poo poo.

Seriously though, I dunno how you waltz in here "awwww shucks guys" after screwing over your Santee. I don't even see an "I'm sorry" to Rhjamiz in there.

Yeaaaah. I feel like the only really acceptable response is:

"I'm a piece of poo poo that didn't adequately plan or consider others. I'm sending a gift to SANTEE. With their permission, could you please send me the degrincher's information so that I can send them a gift as a token of gratitude for them covering for me being a piece of poo poo, or if they're not comfortable giving a piece of poo poo their address, let me relay reimbursement through you. I'm amazingly sorry to all involved, and don't expect anyone to forgive me, but hopefully I can make everything somewhat right."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Leperflesh posted:

There is a survey! It's not too late to participate:

You goofball, have a rules option where "THE RULES ARE FINE AS IS" can be an answer.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

EatinCake posted:

Howdy!

Back in my day, there would be COMEUPPANCE

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Winson_Paine posted:

Yes but Ettin is moderator now. We live under a tyrannical rule of someone that... I dunno, forgot how to log into the admin control panel?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Winson_Paine posted:

You goofball, have a rules option where "THE RULES ARE FINE AS IS" can be an answer.

Yeah that was pointed out almost immediately, but once survey responses started coming in, changing the survey would have tainted the data. My hands are tied. :shrug:

Winson_Paine posted:

Ettin was made aware of the situation but maybe he forgot. I've always felt like it's not really my place to dictate these things, since this is not like an officially endorsed SA function, unlike SA-Mart's official rules.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

that's a real shame

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Looks like the dude ate a month's probation for it, so Ettin's on the job. Sort of wasted on someone who doesn't post, though.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Leperflesh, you mentioned something was on its way; is there an estimated date for delivery, and do you know if it is via USPS or FedEx/UPS? I ask because I'll want to try to be home on delivery day or know when to check the front office if it's USPS.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It was delivered by USPS to your front desk at 1:04PM today! :woop:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

It was delivered by USPS to your front desk at 1:04PM today! :woop:

Pictures to come once I pick it up from the office tomorrow!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Ettin was made aware of the situation but maybe he forgot. I've always felt like it's not really my place to dictate these things, since this is not like an officially endorsed SA function, unlike SA-Mart's official rules.

It was in the approval queue, Winson's just screwing around :argh:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry for my delay! The package did arrive, thank you mysterious De-Grincher! Though amusingly, you mis-spelled my forum name on your hand-written note, I appreciate the personal touch it adds. :3:

Need to fix my phone, but I recieved a pocket whiteboard that unfolds into a makeshift battlemat and "World Wide Wrestling: The Roleplaying Game". That may be a trick to rope people into during boardgame night but we'll see how it goes. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have it on good authority that you have additional stuff coming. What you have there is just Part One.

As much as we've focused on goon shittyness the last page, it's worth reminding ourselves just how amazing goon generosity can be. :)

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Oh, wow. Ok! Let me know when to expect it, but I'll keep an eye out.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The worst part of the TGSS was worrying whether my Santee would like it, even though I hit the recommended sum :ohdear:

Luckily he seemed to like it, although I did :stare: at some of the other gifts that went out and it made me feel guilty :v: I'm a grad student right now, but hopefully by TGSS next year I'll be up to the illustrious salary of a postdoc and can really splurge on my Santee's gift.

Also I can't be bothered to quote the guy but the consensus seems to be that he's a piece of poo poo and I like to follow the herd.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Pyrolocutus posted:

Also I can't be bothered to quote the guy but the consensus seems to be that he's a piece of poo poo and I like to follow the herd.

Nah, he sucks.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Gift update: I pimped out the magic event deck and I'm playing the crap out of it. The drat thing doubled in cost since x-mas, so if I didn't get it as a gift I would never had paid 60 bucks for it.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Pyrolocutus posted:

The worst part of the TGSS was worrying whether my Santee would like it, even though I hit the recommended sum :ohdear:

Luckily he seemed to like it, although I did :stare: at some of the other gifts that went out and it made me feel guilty :v: I'm a grad student right now, but hopefully by TGSS next year I'll be up to the illustrious salary of a postdoc and can really splurge on my Santee's gift.

Sending second hand but classic necromunda stuff was kinda nerve wracking. I knew it was easily worth well over the $30 going by ebay prices but could still have backfired if I miss judged my santee! I had a month to sweat on it but it turned out well in the end.

It is one of those things, it is about allowing those who can afford to spend more to be generous, or for those on a budget to still take part. I was fortunate enough to have something I knew another goon would value that is hard to come by these days. It is about what your santee values rather than the price tag. A thoughtful gift can be better than something which cost a bit more. Making the effort means a lot I think.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
As far as the gift value discussion, it's not difficult to spend more if you want to, but it's harder to think of things to ask for when it's a lower limit, due to the rampant price inflation in our hobbies. But the counter-arguments are more compelling - I'd rather see more people participating at a lower price limit than fewer at a higher price limit. It's about community and giving and all that warm squishy stuff. A second blingy tier might be fun though, but then the dilemma is how blingy? I might be willing to splurge a bit, but not laptop grade splurge.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's also the rising cost of shipping to take into account.

When I first started hosting the TGSS, I actually went out of my way to match up folks who had volunteered for international shipping, with international Santees. I'd seen expressions of delight from goons who received weird foreign things that they otherwise wouldn't or couldn't have accessed or even known about. As the years have gone by, though, shipping - especially international shipping - has gotten extremely costly. We still have volunteers for international shipping... but fewer than before. And this year, I went way out of my way to make sure as few goons as possible had to ship overseas. Any country with at least three participants, I kept all of their goon matchups in-country; and all of the non-UK eurogoons were matched with other europeans, with the only exception being a eurogoon matched with one of our stray east asian goons.

This year we had far fewer participants from Canada than we have in past years, and I suspect that has a lot to do with shipping costs as well.

Given all of the above, you can see why I've been so cautious about raising the cost floor above $30+ shipping. Based purely on inflation, it should probably have gone up by now - I raised it from $25 to $30 in 2012, but it was $25 for a long time before that... I think going back to 2008 or so, maybe further. But shipping costs have risen faster than inflation, so I figure that makes up for the gap.

I also have to recognize that some goons just don't give much away in terms of what sort of TG stuff they like. We have some participants every year who aren't frequent SA posters, and just say "I like anything." What do you get for them?

I've heard your feedback though. And one of the things that more than one of you suggested, was that I put some effort into a "suggestions" section in the OP or the second post, so I'm going to do that next year. Just for example, I'll probably run down the top games on boardgamegeek, filter by price, and put together a "top ten games for around $30 or less from BGG" list. I'd also like to do similar things for RPG books, miniatures, and other TG-related gifts. And there's some gifts that I consider "old standbys" that almost any TG goon would like... food (barring allergies), toys (LEGO, for example), dice (unless they say they don't need more dice), nerd-hobbies like comic books, SF/Fantasy novels, DVDs, etc. And I always make myself available every year to help out anyone who is feeling stuck for ideas; not only can I help with just random brainstorming, but if need be, I can interrogate Santees on their preferences. Sometimes that can reduce the surprise factor, like if I'm asking a Santee which Warmahordes factions they collect and what they don't have yet for those factions, that kind of gives away that they're gonna get a Warmahordes thing. But that's better than them getting something they don't need or want.

I don't think I'll do a high-value side-swap. I can see how that'd be attractive to folks with deeper pockets, but I really don't want TGSS to wind up with a poverty-spec ghetto and a wealthier-people upscale neighborhood. Also it adds to the complexity of an already pretty complex tracking job. And goons who feel generous can spend more, although with the understanding that what they receive may only be a $30 present.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Leperflesh posted:

I've heard your feedback though. And one of the things that more than one of you suggested, was that I put some effort into a "suggestions" section in the OP or the second post, so I'm going to do that next year. Just for example, I'll probably run down the top games on boardgamegeek, filter by price, and put together a "top ten games for around $30 or less from BGG" list. I'd also like to do similar things for RPG books, miniatures, and other TG-related gifts. And there's some gifts that I consider "old standbys" that almost any TG goon would like... food (barring allergies), toys (LEGO, for example), dice (unless they say they don't need more dice), nerd-hobbies like comic books, SF/Fantasy novels, DVDs, etc. And I always make myself available every year to help out anyone who is feeling stuck for ideas; not only can I help with just random brainstorming, but if need be, I can interrogate Santees on their preferences. Sometimes that can reduce the surprise factor, like if I'm asking a Santee which Warmahordes factions they collect and what they don't have yet for those factions, that kind of gives away that they're gonna get a Warmahordes thing. But that's better than them getting something they don't need or want.

This is a really good idea. I'd also suggest including a Gundam model or two. A lot of people here like models, and thirty bucks can get you a pretty great Gundam

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I like it when Santees give me very specific ideas of what they want. Yeah, it may ruin the surprise some, but I like getting someone something they really want and can use instead of taking a stab in the dark.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

This is a really good idea. I'd also suggest including a Gundam model or two. A lot of people here like models, and thirty bucks can get you a pretty great Gundam

Yeah, I mean, the "do you like animes" thing was conceived of more as an optional prophylactic against receiving anime stuff from the anime-obsessed, but I don't see why it can't work the other way, as well. If there's sufficient demand for it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm as much as fault as anyone else, but lists of what people own are very useful - you don't want to get dungeonworld for the fifth time, but it also takes time to audit all your stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, a year or two ago I finally got around to going into boardgamegeek and putting my whole game collection in there, but that was a pain, I don't think I'm fully up to date any more, and... that doesn't cover stuff like my miniatures collection or terrain or whatever. It's kind of up to each goon though, if you don't mention that you already have settlers of catan, and you don't say you don't want settlers of catan, then you might get settlers of catan. That's the nature of the beast.

• Locked thread