Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Sailor moon and Ronin warriors...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
In 1998 I watched all of Slayers fansubbed on VHS thanks to my friend's otaku older sister. Now I'm 30 and currently watching Mushishi which is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM3LsADMyqU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

My First Anime™ was "The Noozles", which is a kids show that my mom put on because I was like 3years old and so koalas were right up there with ninjas and frogs.

The Noozles is about koala wizards that come from a parallel dimension(called Koala-walla land) and hang out with some girl. With the exception of the two primary koala wizards, the entirety of the koala wizard race are fiercely racist and so the two primary koala wizards have to disguise our protagonist as a koala so she can enter the koala-walla land without being straight-up loving murdered by racist koala wizards(they spoke at great length about how great it would be to murder humans, iirc). As far as I can remember(and this was over 20 years ago), the girls dad was an archaeologist in Australia trying to prevent the apocalypse, which occurs when the KoalaWalla Land separates from our world due to, I don't remember, earthquakes or some poo poo.

Every time I talk about this show people think I'm trolling but not only did it exist, it also aired on nickleodeon in the late 80s so american television execs were like "Yeah this is cool, put this on."

I got "seriously" into anime when the entire forums got sucked into Haruhi Fever and I watched it and it was loving awful and I went in the haruhi thread to talk about how bad it was and someone told me about other shows that weren't bad and I've been here since. I don't watch anymore, though, no time :smith:

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 18, 2015

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Relin posted:

I want to say Vampire Hunter D on a local, short lived broadcast channel that showed anime every Saturday night at age 7. Or Akira at around the same age

They showed Vampire Hunter D ova on the original "Japanimation" block on cartoon network i think. Afternoon animated shower titties are vnice.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Ocean dub Dragon Ball Z 10am Sunday on USA channel 59.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The Akira movie when I was a very very small child, yep scared for life due to the ending and being 3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol I was gonna ask how that happened but I guess you don't remember many details on account of being 3

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Legends of Galactic heroes when i was >10 years old in italy. For some reason they had a lot of anime during the 90s
Very bizarre show to watch. Just a lot of spaceships silently exploding in space and a lot of bored guys in weird clothes looking on.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

When I was 6 I snuck out of bed and watched Akira through a cracked-open door during my older brother's birthday party and it ruined me.

E: Just saw another small child watched Akira. Sup probable nightmares-about-tetsuo buddy?

surc fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 19, 2015

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I was really young and saw card captor sakura on TV, it was some episode about travelling through time and I remember it blew my drat mind as a kid. Now all I can watch is cool animes about time travel, everything else is off limits

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

klapman posted:

I was really young and saw card captor sakura on TV, it was some episode about travelling through time and I remember it blew my drat mind as a kid. Now all I can watch is cool animes about time travel, everything else is off limits

Well, I hope you've seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time .

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
The first anime I cared about was Sailor Moon when I was very young. That caused me to start looking up lovely "how to draw anime" tutorials that had Haddaway - What is Love.mid blaring in the background.

Gabberwocky
Apr 10, 2007
Super Gondola
My first anime was either Pokemon or Dragonball Z although at that point I wasn't really aware of what anime was. When I was 13 one of my friends said that they were a big fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I had heard of that because my brother watched it, so I searched through the computer and found two videos labelled "End of Evangelion". I thought I would be cool to just watch the end of evangelion so I could seem like an expert on the show without having seen it.

I think just watching that would be weird enough, but the files were not labelled part 1 or 2, they had their text titles were are not immediately obvious which comes first. So I ended up watching the second part first. This basically starts off with a boy screaming in a giant robot sky cross and some guy reaching his hand into a naked girl who then floats up into a giant naked human nailed to a cross.

I was completely baffled but very entertained. It made slightly more sense when I watched the first half of the movie but it was only when I had actually watched the TV series a couple years later that I actually understood most of it. End of Evangelion is actually still one of my favourite movies.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

a kitten posted:

Well, I hope you've seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time .

ive just been watching and rewatching steins;gate for the last 3 years

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gabberwocky posted:

My first anime was either Pokemon or Dragonball Z although at that point I wasn't really aware of what anime was. When I was 13 one of my friends said that they were a big fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I had heard of that because my brother watched it, so I searched through the computer and found two videos labelled "End of Evangelion". I thought I would be cool to just watch the end of evangelion so I could seem like an expert on the show without having seen it.

I think just watching that would be weird enough, but the files were not labelled part 1 or 2, they had their text titles were are not immediately obvious which comes first. So I ended up watching the second part first. This basically starts off with a boy screaming in a giant robot sky cross and some guy reaching his hand into a naked girl who then floats up into a giant naked human nailed to a cross.

I was completely baffled but very entertained. It made slightly more sense when I watched the first half of the movie but it was only when I had actually watched the TV series a couple years later that I actually understood most of it. End of Evangelion is actually still one of my favourite movies.

Oh god, I think I saw End of Eva for the first time the exact same way. I didn't watch it out of order, the files were labeled properly, but it was still split into two "episodes" like that with an ED after each one.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Sakurazuka posted:

lol I was gonna ask how that happened but I guess you don't remember many details on account of being 3

My dad gotten a trial package and it was one of them and it seemed cool to him so we sat and watched the japanese cartoon right until that happened and then he quickly changed the channel.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I have vague recollections of a Dragonball Z VHS tape I watched when I was six or something. It was the Cell Saga, if I'm remembering things correctly.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I'm almost positive the very first one I saw was Ronin Warriors, which would've been in 1995.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvfX1JJpxF0

I distinctly remember drawing sketches of the protagonist with his two swords that combined into one sword.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I mean, I was exposed to Pokemon as a kid, but I didn't really give a poo poo about it for the most part. But probably Pokemon. First anime I actively liked was Shaman King, because I'd been reading it in Shonen Jump.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
trigun at 11 when my brothers friend brought over a vhs box set poo poo got me hooke

Repster
Nov 29, 2014
Captain Harlock, UFO Robot Grendizer, and The Mysterious Cities of Gold. One of those was the first. In french, because that was one of the few things we got on the like 5 channels that we had when I was a wee child. Sometimes, my mind still goes to "Goldorak" before Mazinger when a "Rocket Punch" is mentioned.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
First anime I ever watched was samurai champloo. Amazing poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I saw Spirited Away a lot as a kid but assumed it just another Disney movie because of dub + Disney logos. First anime I sought out and watched was te Ghost in the Shell movies on Netflix in October 2011.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My weird friend from America had an older brother and he showed me Akira when I was like 10 and it hosed me up man

But really all the Arabic cartoons as kids were dubbed anime. Grendizer, Captain Tsubasa, and others were extremely popular. Popular Kuwaiti Urban legend says that when Saddam invaded kuwait a distress signal went out to the effect of something like "Even grendizer can't stop all these tanks"

Awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Oh god, I think I saw End of Eva for the first time the exact same way. I didn't watch it out of order, the files were labeled properly, but it was still split into two "episodes" like that with an ED after each one.

That's how the movie is, it has a little intermission and title cards labeled 25' and 26'.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I can't remember, probably he-man I guess, but the first one I remember is Sailor Moon. Catchy theme song.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
The Gungrave anime, given to me by a friend.

MrGunner
Apr 9, 2004

dream the dream of your attrition
Probably Astro Boy. The first anime I can clearly remember watching and knowing that it was different from cartoons was Galaxy Express 999 on some channel back in the early 80s when I was a kid. It was probably the terrible dub version but at the time I thought that it was amazing although I was pretty scared about ice robot ladies making me stay with them forever in a frozen cemetary.

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
The dogs fight other dogs and also bears anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_mrdCI6Rw

It's this whole cult phenomenon in the nordics because almost every 20-something came into contact with those tapes some time in the early 90s. It was dubbed by three people who most likely also made up like 75% of the localization crew.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I was going to say Mega Man, but after looking it up it turns out it was some kinda weird hybrid Japanese/American thing, which sorta counts I guess? I suppose after that it'd be the first Pokemon series. Then some people I knew through a MUD shared some Naruto with me. I was on dial up at the time, so every 22 hours I had the next fansubbed episode.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It was in the locker room after soccer practice OP

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
The first actual anime I ever watched was M.D. Geist and it gave me quite the culture shock in comparison to the usual saturday morning cartoon and disney stuff I was used to. There was a single channel that showed some of these old anime on sunday evenings around midnight and I had stumbled upon it by accident, wondering why they are showing cartoons in that time slot. The most fascinating thing to me was the fact that there was so little animation to it in comparison to the western cartoons that I likened it more to something out of a slide projector. Having to read subtitles on top of that helped to make it an interesting enough change of pace to hold my attention and I kept tuning in week after week to eventually see stuff like Akira, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Record of Lodoss War, Gunsmith Cats, Bubblegum Crisis, Ghost in the Shell and other similar movies.

I have never rewatched M.D. Geist and given that I had trouble actually keeping up with it due to being a slow reader, I still don't really remember what it was about. The title stuck to me though because the gratuitous German name for a Japanese cartoon was perplexing.

I didn't see Dragon Ball and Pokemon until a few years later, but at that point I was at least already aware of japanese cartoons being a bit different.

Anime confused me into liking it, I suppose.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Late night Sci-fi channel on Saturdays. So basically;

Beasteh posted:

hosed up hentai when I was like 13 :whatup: (La Blue Girl)

Sakurazuka posted:

Same only Urotsukidoji

Though I saw Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) and some other stuff as a kid before I know what anime was.

What these two said. :stare: Plus things like Goku midnight eye, Dominion Tank Police, Dirty Pair(?) Ghost in the Shell and other 80's stuff. It was a pretty great block of random crazy crap and I remember being up late to set the VHS recording the channel so I could watch it the next day. :allears:

Sci-fi channel, you were good once. Maybe you still are.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

poo poo like:
Sarutobi Sasuke, Sangokushi, Grendizer, Kaiketsu Zorro, Mofukkin TIGER MASK HELLS YEAH
Honestly I dont remember what my first first one I saw but, There was a lot. I think there was a period of like 6+ years where all there was on TV was anime. But it has to be one of these.
Dai no Daiboken, Thunder Jet, Captain Tsubasa, Slam Dunk, Romeo and the black brothers, The Treasure Island anime.

Oh man :allears: nostalgia.

[e:]How could I forget! Doraemon!

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
Back in the early 80's there used to be a show on KTLA in Los Angeles called "Family Film Festival". They used to show a lot of weird kids movies like the Pippi Longstocking films and "The Incredible Mister Limpett". Anyway, I turned it on one day just in time to see "Space Battleship Yamato". I'd never seen anything like that before, and I was hooked.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ltugo posted:

Back in the early 80's there used to be a show on KTLA in Los Angeles called "Family Film Festival". They used to show a lot of weird kids movies like the Pippi Longstocking films and "The Incredible Mister Limpett". Anyway, I turned it on one day just in time to see "Space Battleship Yamato". I'd never seen anything like that before, and I was hooked.

Are you a 40 year old man

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Are you a 40 year old man

Edit: I watch with my 10 year old daughter now. Last thing we watched together was Sound! Euphonium and she loved it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thats nice

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Maya the Honey Bee at like age 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Davincie posted: