Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Welcome to the world of Ortelius!

Ortelians are a diverse people. The person you meet on the road is as likely to be a garden variety human as they are a Felanx, a slime, a sentient herd of stones, or Murray. Landschecnkts fight back against feral monsters raiding the convenience store snack isle, alongside mages reading incantations off their tablets, while rogues try and sneak a few extra GP out of the ATM.

The people of Ortelius know what a superhighway is, but they'd rather walk.

Like many, you have some pressing business to attend to somewhere over yonder. It's a good thing for you that you're in the company of other adventurous souls, and that a vending machine stocked with healing potions is never too far away.

-

It's a Ryuutama game. The setting is a not terribly serious mishmash of fantasy and anachronistic science fantasy stuff. Be weird! Make some crap up!

Specifically, make up a short character pitch, that tells me who you are, where you're going, and what you do. Don't bother with a character sheet yet.

Once picks are made, we'll hash out some more details of the world and some reasons why you and your fellow party members would be going to the same place at the same time. A picture doesn't hurt!

Pitches are due this Friday, the 13th, with sheets shortly thereafter and a game soon after that. Hopefully.

If you've got questions or want to pick at something, hit me up here or via PM.

E: More background, now that it's not midnight. More added as I make it up.

-

You'll be starting out from the village of Napping, at the far end of the Big Blue Arch. It's typical of smaller towns in many ways - whoever isn't affected by wanderlust live their entire lives here, while those that are become part of the stream of adventurers and travelers threading their way through town and back into the countryside.

The town was founded when members of a party exploring and charting the Arch decided they had had quite enough of an odyseey across the megastructure and here was a perfectly suitable place to call it a journey, thank you very much. The saga of its founding has given Napping a reputation as a sleepy town that's not fond of adventurers, which is only partially true. The residents of Napping are entirely happy to see new faces come and go, and to get mail and new items of interest from the world outside, but they're just as happy to stay put where they are, and maybe have a rest while they're at it.

The heart of town is at the central square, which is fronted by several restaurants and specialty shops, as well as the village's inn and public house, Russo's. There is the entirely typical statue of Andy the Hero, although it takes second fiddle to the sculpture of town founder and first mayor Blythe Sarumi. The plaque affixed to Sarumi's statue tells the tale of Napping's founding, while the statue itself depicts the mayor slumped against the tip of the Arch in the pose that gave the town its name.

-

One of the most valued innovations in the field of adventuring is two-part soap. The soap comes in rolls of flexible ribbon, colored white on one side and blue on the other. Cut off as much as you need, then pinch it together to activate. Tada, you now have soap that can be used without water.

Two-part soap is especially popular in the northern deserts. Before the patent on it ran out, two-part soap was originally referred to as Zerwilliger's Paste, at the urging of its inventor, but does that really sound like something you want to rub all over yourself?

-

Depending on who you ask, there's either one Murray, or several thousand of them. Popular assumptions include an entire cloned, hive-mined species of Murray (or Murrae, depending on how much you buy into the Pluralist arguments), Murray as psychic phenomenon created by the local architecture and shelving, Murray as manifestation of the planet's will, and most prosaically, Murray androids. Murray doesn't talk about it, and most people are polite enough not to pry.

Murray(s) run the convenience stores of Ortelius. They're always there, and as best anyone can tell, have always been there. Murray invariably presents as a polite entity, a little thinner than the typical human, and whatever they're made of, no shadow ever appears on Murray's black surface. Murray will always wear a workshirt appropriate to their particular chain of stores, and a mask, which seems unique to the individual wearing it. He or they favor hats, but these items do not seem as mandatory as the rest of their wardrobe. No tribal or societal affiliation seems to exist between stores; Murray simply works at their shop.

Murray's primary concession to possibly-biological necessity seems to be taking a smoke break, at which time they will stand outside their store and radiate a filmy black smoke for approximately five minutes. Murray can occasionally be seen leaving or arriving at the store during a shift, although no record or remembrance exists of two Murrays in the same place at the same time.

-

Vulture slimes are not named as such for the reason most people think. While they are a carrion-eating organism, their name was given to them by biologist Adeline Woods, who first observed the slimes' characteristic reaction to danger, specifically throwing up at whatever frightens them and fleeing.

Academically-minded readers may be able to deduce the origin of the Woods Prize for Most Disgusting Scientific or Thaumaturgic Achievement.

-

Two major institutions of magical learning exist on Ortelius, along with a host of smaller institutions and private instructors.

Frasco-Ebuline College, located on the shores of the province of East Washi-e, is the younger of the two schools, but substantially more popular among prospective students. Faculty suspect this is a side-effect of FEC's host city throwing the single largest beach party on the eastern seaboard every spring equinox, but further studies are pending.

The Gressia Institution for Technological, Thaumaturgical and Paranormal Research (Gressia Tech) is nestled in the Great Western Canyons, through which most of the western leylines pass. The oldest currently operating college in Ortelius, Gressia Tech has a reputation for solid, practical educations, difficult exams, and intensely nerdy students. Though not anywhere near as much of a party school as FEC, the Tech campus is located at the bottom of a hole in the middle of a desert, and so its students own and operate a significant portion of the world's breweries, distilleries, and the means of production of other recreational substances. As a result, Tech's president and council of deans is considering adding a business degree program.

-

Cars and trucks exist on Ortelius. They're mostly favored by hobbyists and people with large amounts of heavy stuff to move.

Many commuter cars are short-ranged electric vehicles, running off of captured lightning strikes in stormier climes or, in areas with regular access to summoners, a tame sprite. The more mechanically-inclined favor the Shmirling cycle engine, which uses superconducting coils to rapidly alter the temperature of a piston in a water-filled cylinder, producing mechanical action as a side effect of the temperature gradient.

Either way, cars tend to be local conveyances and about as fast as a typical riding animal. On the plus side, you very rarely have to muck out your car's stall.

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I'll have something scribbled up here sooner than later, this kind of setting is entirely my thing and I still need to actually play this game I bought.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Why yes, I would like to play Ryuutama for once.

Would a koneko goblin PC be okay, or would you prefer to just have humans?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Non-humans are fine. It doesn't make any kind of statistical difference. Feel free to invent something even weirder if you like, too.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Non-humans are fine. It doesn't make any kind of statistical difference. Feel free to invent something even weirder if you like, too.

Actually, I was planning to use the "Holiday Package" from the game's site, which does have statistical differences (lower, less flexible stats but bonus abilities). Either's fine, but I feel it's good to know sooner rather than later. Regardless, I'll work on an application and get it in soon-ish.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 10, 2015

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Dang, reading what you got up there so far and I'm really liking this setting.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

My Robo-Scarecrow is showing up here

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Definitely interested, I'll see if I can pry open some time to figure out character creation.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Maleketh posted:

Actually, I was planning to use the "Holiday Package" from the game's site, which does have statistical differences (lower, less flexible stats but bonus abilities). Either's fine, but I feel it's good to know sooner rather than later. Regardless, I'll work on an application and get it in soon-ish.

Huh, I don't think I ever actually opened that file before.

Alright, if you're up for it, use the stats package.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I'd like to play the dumb tank with a heart of gold and a strong interest in beer and instant ramen!

More details when not phone posting. Sounds like an attack farmer might be the best fit?

field balm fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 10, 2015

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Ballast, The Precious Knight of Arcadia

At one time, Arcadia stood as a military might out of necessity, ruling its lands in the face of dire odds. Or at least, that's what the macroboards say. That was so long ago that it's been longer than anyone can remember since those who might have remembered were around, and memory in Arcadia isn't a terribly precious thing in the first place being mostly entrusted to the boards. It is entirely possible that the monarchy of Arcadia exists simply because someone wanted to do things that way, and over time the old way was just forgotten in favor of the new way. Chances are likely things aren't much different now than before, and that 'before' wasn't actually that long ago.

Regardless of the truth behind the country's history, it continues to host a sort of standing military, and that military... doesn't have a whole lot to do. Having been placed into the line of Knighthood, Ballast maybe knows how to swing a sword and not a whole lot else. Lot of spare change to be dug up cutting away overgrowth, at least. Arcadia wants for little, and Ballast has been plenty content sitting around most days doing little to nothing. Finding ways to alleviate boredom has made Ballast popular enough with the townfolk, though their actual helpfulness is usually in question.

But, as with all Knights of Arcadia, those capable must perform their duties. What little there is to do, at least. The circuit boards installed throughout Ortelius are critical to keeping the peace, and Arcadia's continuous bounty, intact. Ballast would much rather continue sitting around doing a whole lot of nothing, but perhaps their charm with the townfolk might translate well outside the country. Getting others to do most of the heavy lifting would mean the job gets done, no more nagging from the Priest, and little to no effort expended anyways. Should work out perfectly.

It won't.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
Daniel Baisden, Bookworm Extraordinaire

Ever since the world went wireless, print's been going out of fashion. After all, who'd want to carry around all those heavy books and papers when all you really need is a good old-fashioned tablet? And so, the world's moved on, leaving the printed word behind, for the most part. Still though, there are those old souls who seek out the last bookstores and libraries, as much for the smell of ink on paper as for the knowledge contained therein.

Daniel's parents were such people, and had come to Napping years ago, their rickety cart filled with old, well-thumbed treasures. Sid cart promptly fell apart on them and, taking this as a sign, they settled down, converting its remains into a door for their new house. Having grown up hearing their tales of the wonders they had seen in their searches and the possbility of there being a yet undiscovered "Central Library of Callum", Daniel decided early on that a life of literary spelunking would be his destiny. His parents, naturally, were thrilled, and began teaching him everything that he would need to know on his journey.

Having finally reached a suitable age, he kissed his mother goodbye, shook his father's hand, and stepped off into the countryside, carrying an old travel guide for good luck. There were books to find, lost knowledge to bring back to the world. Now where to start searching first?

Zerbin7 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 14, 2015

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Mewcephalus ("Mew"), Kitty Cat Koneko Goblin

Not all koneko goblins are tribal creatures. Fathers of particularly large litters are known to abandon their kittens at times, leaving them in crates on street corners. Mew was one such kitten, and might have been doomed to be forgotten on a rainy street corner. But legends say that koneko goblins so abandoned will be picked up by kindly Ryuujin, and in this case, the legend turned out to be true. The kitten was taken in by a green Ryuujin, who named him Mewcephalus (or just "Mew" for short). She did her best to teach the young one how to read, write, and have an attention span longer than three seconds, and two out of three, as they say, is not bad.

Mew has been his mistress's attendant for a good five years now, but he's getting restless. He's spent a lot of his free time reading the books in his mistress's extensive library, talking about all the fantastic and amazing things in the world, like cars that think they're people and flying trees. He wants to go out and see these things for himself! So he went and begged his Ryuujin mistress for permission to go out and travel, and she relented. She thinks that maybe some time outdoors will temper his impatience (it won't). After giving her ward some basic provisions, she sent him out near the town of Napping. He's now ready to go looking for adventure - just as soon as he finds a suitable human to go with him and tell him he's amazing every day.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 14, 2015

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
Talsen Corvus, Wandering Collector

It's widely known that the beastkin are a closed-minded rural folk, who keep to their isolated villages while maintaining their simple and rustic lifestyle. The greater outside world is of no concern to them, and foreigners looked down upon with distrust. Not so much for Talsen, though.

The youngest of his clutch, young Talsen was caught by his father trying to run away from home no less than four times before he came of age. Not because any horrible family situation (his parents loved him dearly despite his frustrating antics) but rather because of an unquenchable wanderlust that possessed him all his life. Even as a nestling, Talsen was always poking and prodding at everything, constantly bugging his parents and older siblings for stories of the world outside despite their stern warnings. While his family despaired and hoped that young Talsen would eventually mature and leave behind his foolish dreams of travelling the world, as the years passed they were forced to lay to rest those hopes. Instead when he came of age, Talsen was given some supplies, a pat on the back and set loose upon the world.

Since then, the birdman has been wandering randomly, happily chatting and joking with all the new people he's met while picking up any little trinket that caught his eye for his ever-growing souvenir collection. With no destination in mind, Talsen is happy to just go with the flow and see where life takes him.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Don't forget tomorrow is the last day for submissions. Get your pitch in!

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Jingle, Amateur Gardener Aspiring Botanist

Brought to life in an alchemical accident involving a scarecrow, window washing fluid, a bag of seeds, and a lightning bolt, Jingle settled into life in Napping quite well after his "birth". He does odd jobs about the village whenever he needs funds for his rather splendid garden, but spends the majority of his time hard at work in the acre of land he calls home. Fruits and vegetables flourish in a variety and number that should not be feasible, but whenever Jingle is pressed about it, he waves it off as "really good fertilizer". After reading an article on his second-hand tablet about the blooming of a rare flower that only occurs every century in the town of Kaufmann's Rest, Jingle was struck by a single burning desire: to catalogue as much of the world's flora as possible,and write the best gardener's guide he can. At night, he dreams of a book cover with his perennialy blank face on it, holding a beet or mandragora. It just goes to show that anyone, no matter their origin, can get wanderlust...

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Peregrine, Cavalier Delivery Girl

The open road is a lonely place in Ortelius. Most stick to their home towns, and trips between towns happen at a leisurely pace. For the most part, there's no reason to go any faster. But some long for the thrill of racing down the highways, and there's are always a handful of important messages, documents, and small items that have to be hand-delivered in a hurry. And such trips tend to draw the attention of bandits and monsters...

It takes a special kind of person to chose the job of courier. Peregrine is just the type - brash, brave, and a bit lacking in common sense. The kind of person who loves adventure, and doesn't much care for planning. Just hop on the bike, grab up a spear in case of trouble, and get moving!

Born in Napping, Peregrine has a well earned reputation as a trouble-maker and layabout. She's clever and a good mechanic, so people tolerate her, but no one grudges the time she spends out on the road. Her father left when she was young, and her mother passed away a few years back. Peregrine's far more reliable but less talented sister, Kestrel, owns the car repair shop in town.

She built her bike herself, and it's no less temperamental and no more reliable than its builder. It's never broken down when Peregrine's really needed it, but she spends as much time going after it with a wrench as she does riding it. For anyone else, it would be more trouble than it's worth. A horse would almost as fast and require less maintenance. But at least she doesn't have to carry feed, and when it is running, there's nothing faster (at least, nothing Peregrine's seen).

Peregrine longs to see more of the world, and take on bigger challenges. She also regrets the trouble she causes Kestrel, and longs to do something that would make her sister proud. It's just so much work to figure out what that might be...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Qistina Brown, Magia Barista (In Training)

Kohai-tsukai, magia barista, coffeamancy; the magic of the Most Valuable Bean™ is the lifeblood of Ortelius, especially now that things have settled down a bit. Sure, you can get a canned coffee at a Murray-Mart, but that's not coffee. It's what you get when you can't get to a proper café and want a reminder of that coffee of is like. Real coffee requires magic, or at least that's what devotees will tell you when paying seven fiats for a cup.

Qistina Brown became a bean witch at the local Grassia Tea, which is the only magical café in Napping. A long time ago, old folks will say, there was also a Espresso Expresso, but a tragic bean detonation effectively removed it from the map. Though there are rumors of Grassia Tea sabotage, the café wars ended centuries ago and so such whispers are not taken particularly seriously. Besides, Grassia Tea was always better anyway.

Grassia Tea offers baristi in training a full pre-collegate course, and Qistina Brown has been a certified cupper for about a year. And, to be fair, she could settle down at this point- certification means a comfy life, even in a small town like this. But like her adventurer parents (well, former adventurers, though father still insists he's a monster hunter because he does local extermination jobs dealing with caricrawls and otyucks). Grassia Tea is always busy, whether it's wandering adventurers or classy locals coming by. Hey, let's not mince words. If you're at Grassia Tea, you're classy.

The obvious step forward for those looking to become Master Tasters would be to enroll at Grassia Institute and maybe become a professor of beanmanship or found a new café, but for the adventurous barista, going on a Café Course is the dream. Traveling from café to café, trying to convince local brewers and baristas to give up their secrets. Only by learning one hundred blends from one hundred towns can one become an Archbarista, one of the handful of elite Tasters that guide the coffee culture across Ortelius. For Qistina, she aims for nothing less. Or, at least, her parents expect nothing less. The pressure in a family can be a lot like the pressure in an expresso laborare, but sometimes can produce something just as fine. So don't feel too bad for Qistina. She's down with this.

Oh, and to be clear: coffee is literally magical here, presuming we're not talking about the canned garbage. This isn't some metaphor for how wonderful coffee is. Qistina does magic, is a witch, with real sparkles and everything. Who better to have along on a journey?

That's a rhetorical question, by the way.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 13, 2015

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Wow, haven't slept until noon in a long while.

Seven apps for six spots breaks my heart. In the end, it came down to a random number generator and a chart, because these were some good applications.

Our players are

sentrygun as Ballast the knight
Zerbin7 as Daniel the avid reader
Maleketh as Mewcephalus the cat
FewtureMD as Jingle the gardener
Comrade Gorbash as Peregrine the courier
Alien Rope Burn as Qistina the barista.

Daraken, if anyone drops, you've got first dibs.

Here are things I want from you.

1) A character sheet. An important thing to have! I'll post the game thread once everyone gets a sheet up.
2) One fact about your character you didn't mention in your pitch. Could be anything, from favorite color to Dark Secret Hidden Past Spooky to their favorite food or food-equivalent.
3) For the sake of getting the game going, we'll assume you all know each other and are taking this opportunity to travel together, if for no other reason than convenience and safety. How do you know the other characters? How do you feel about them? Is their presence on this trip making you look forward to your journey, or regretting it already?

And the big one, our destination. You've got a thing in mind when you set out on your journey, but where do you think you'll find it? I want you all to work together to come up with another pitch, this time for your destination. Each of you should come up with one detail that's abstract and objective: one person makes the name, another describes the location, the third tells us about the local geography, etc. Rule of cool definitely applies here.

Once that's done, I'd like one fact your character thinks is true about the place you're going. Whether this gives us more insight into our destination or your character is up to you.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
You guys all came up with really good intros, so I'm wondering, does everyone have a particular class in mind for their characters? I was leaning towards Farmer or Minstrel for mine, but could make something else work. With six of us, having a good mix of classes seems best.

(Will post character stuff later tonight.)

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Zerbin7 posted:

You guys all came up with really good intros, so I'm wondering, does everyone have a particular class in mind for their characters? I was leaning towards Farmer or Minstrel for mine, but could make something else work. With six of us, having a good mix of classes seems best.

(Will post character stuff later tonight.)

Koneko goblins work well as hunters, but the only class I can really justify for Mew based on his background is Noble. Type will probably be technical.

I figure we should all chip in for a party kit, as well as a second tent (since there are six of us). That comes out to 153 gold per person if we round off (I'm happy to pay the extra 2 gold). Sound good to everyone?

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 14, 2015

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Jingle is probably going to be a Magic-Type Farmer. Splitting the cost for the extra stuff sounds good too! Gnoll, could Jingle's animals be described as plants that act like animals? I find the concept of a DonKey Lime too amusing to not use...

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

pre:
Name: Mewcephalus ("Mew")
Image Color: Green

Class: Noble
Type: Technical

Abilities
Str: 4
Dex: 8
Int: 6
Spi: 4

HP: 8/8
MP: 8/8
Capacity: 13

Mastered Weapon: Light Blade, Bow
Personal Item: Shiny green stone

Skills
Etiquette ([Dex+Int], TN contested): Leave a positive impression on someone of 
high rank or status.
Refined Education ([Int+Int], TN varies): Know detailed information about the 
things you see or hear.
Weapon Grace: Gain a bonus mastered weapon from Blade, Polearm, or Bow.  (Bow 
chosen.)
Accurate: When concentrating, gain an extra +1 bonus to the roll.
Quick: +1 to initiative checks.
Pocket: +3 carrying capacity.
Jar Cap: +3 carrying capacity
Seasonal: +1 to initiative and condition checks during Spring.
Cat's Eye: No penalty to travel checks at night as long as there's moonlight.

Gear
Shortbow (Bow): ACC [Int+Dex]-2, DMG [DEX], Size 3
Large Backpack: Size 5, Capacity Used: 3/10
  Fish Sword (Light Blade): ACC [Dex+Int]+1, DMG [INT]-1, Size 1
  Rations x2
  Waterskin
Walking Stick: +1 to travel checks in terrain 1-3; Str 4 only.  Size 3
Walking Shoes: +1 to travel checks on roads.  Size 1

Total Capacity Used: 12

355 Gold (155 put toward party kit)
New fact: Mew's abandonment made him rather insecure about himself. He acts haughty to hide this.

The party: Mew almost immediately picked Ballast as his "companion human:" the human whose job it would be to travel with him and shower him with affection. (How Ballast feels about this designation is up to sentrygun.) He probably met the others through her; regardless; he pretty much forced himself on the group without asking. He sees Daniel as a comforting presence (his thirst for knowledge and fondness for books remind Mew of his mistress), and finds Jingle absolutely fascinating, if a little scary. He thinks Peregrine is too focused on her bike (and not sufficiently focused on Mew himself), and that Qistina is entirely too full of herself (though he'd never say so out loud).

Where we're going: Whatever it is, it's on a tropical island that's said to be hidden in mist and impossible to reach ten months out of the year. Mew assumes it must have the best fish dishes in the world.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 16, 2015

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
I wrote Ballast as a Technical Noble since that was the closest thing to being a useless lump programmed to be a knight I could think of, but Attack Hunter could work fine instead. The rest of the classes are just far too useful to fit Ballast. As for throwing in gold for kit, both for flair reasons and also because of course Ballast wouldn't actually pack properly for an adventure, I was considering blowing nearly all my gold on light armor. That'd only leave me with 100 gold free which I had written to supplies with dumb excuses tagged onto them, but if Ballast rolling in with 0 gold to throw into the pot ends up being too much of a drag I can clip those off.

One weird fact: Arcadia is an abandoned experiment testing a community of independent AIs and proprietary builds of biological androids. The experiment took longer to produce results than the investors wanted and the site was abandoned due to a lack of funding, but the citizens of Arcadia kept doing what they were doing anyways. Unlike human communities, AI are much more likely to go off on odd whims no matter how extreme. The monarchy of Arcadia is just the latest dramatic shift in structure for them, but there have been plenty before.

For the most part Arcadia is left untouched by the rest of the world, and despite often emulating bits of history from the world they are not simply copies of another Ortelian society. Concepts ranging from gender to eating food are absent or replaced, while concerns more adjacent to self-restoring androids exist that might seem much more foreign. Some have parallels to concepts more familiar to us, like battery farming, while others can be a bit of a stretch, like paradox resolution exercises.

Ballast finds everyone pretty agreeable. Mostly in that they do things while Ballast gets to lounge around, occasionally pretending to be useful. They have something of a better excuse in that decent battery sources are a lot harder to find when the only thing really consuming them are a bunch of weak, handheld devices, but there's no doubt Ballast is still being far lazier than they should be. That said, Ballast definitely enjoys having Peregrine around, though, uh, this is mostly because bikes mean you get to sit around while still going places and someone else can drive if you just hang onto them. It's hard for Ballast to pin any real feelings on the rest of the group though. Every last one of them is completely foreign, and Ballast wasn't entirely sure what to expect besides the kind of monsters you swing a sword at. Maybe the cat's one of those?

Whatever or wherever the destination might be, one or more of the macroboards that controls the Arcadia Project is stationed there. That means it's probably been exposed to the prototype technologies of the same researchers who created the Arcadia Project, which were similarly abandoned when funding fell through. Who knows how old or functional any of it is, but the Arcadia Project and its sub-projects were intended to create a symbiotic relationship between living organisms and technology. Left to rot for a couple hundred years, there's no telling how they've interfaced with the environment around them.

Of course, given the current state of the Arcadia Cloud Drive's thoughts on imagined mythologies, Ballast expects high ranking members of the royal station in distress, possibly captured by a mythological beast known as a 'dragon'. Seems like a lot of work, Ballast kind of hopes it's not true.

Maleketh posted:

Mew almost immediately picked Ballast as his "companion human:" the human whose job it would be to travel with him and shower him with affection. (How Ballast feels about this designation is up to sentrygun.) He probably met the others through her;

This is fine by me, though Ballast remains perpetually confused by what a 'human' is but goes along with it. Fighting against it is effort, y'know? Additionally, while I tried to make it obvious without spelling it out in the original pitch, Ballast doesn't identify by a gender. The concept wasn't preprogrammed into the Arcadia Project and the AI never invented it themselves.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Oh, and for the record, in the unlikely even it influences anyone's decision, I'm running the Green dragon set.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

sentrygun posted:

I wrote Ballast as a Technical Noble since that was the closest thing to being a useless lump programmed to be a knight I could think of

Wait, your character is a lazy slacker and you went with technical type? The type whose abilities include quick action and being extra good at concentrating on things?

sentrygun posted:

As for throwing in gold for kit, both for flair reasons and also because of course Ballast wouldn't actually pack properly for an adventure, I was considering blowing nearly all my gold on light armor. That'd only leave me with 100 gold free which I had written to supplies with dumb excuses tagged onto them, but if Ballast rolling in with 0 gold to throw into the pot ends up being too much of a drag I can clip those off.

You can always apply a modifier to drop the cost of the armor. Maybe Arcadian designs are reall weird by the standards of the rest of the world (uncool), or the armor isn't well maintained (gross/smelly)? Chipping in for a party kit and second tent would be really nice, but I doubt anyone will force the issue.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Maleketh posted:

Wait, your character is a lazy slacker and you went with technical type? The type whose abilities include quick action and being extra good at concentrating on things?

Yes. They're an AI and probably analyze and react to situations faster than anyone in the party to the point where they should probably be technical Hunter if I exclude Noble rather than attack Hunter if I think about it really, they just don't feel like doing any of that junk. If we're nitpicking on trying to emulate a slacker it's kind of hard to pick any of the three types and call yourself actually useless. My last Ryuutama character was a technical type and they were supposed to be half-asleep the entire journey. Organizational skills and quick thinking point towards technical, and it's not really that much of a keystone of a character's personality anyways. It's not like every magic user is the same kind of person just because there's only one selectable type to enable magic.

Seems like a weird thing to pick out against me. :confused:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

sentrygun posted:

Seems like a weird thing to pick out against me. :confused:

I wasn't picking it out "against" you, I was just perplexed by the choice. But with your explanation it makes a lot of sense. :)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Been running around the last two days so I haven't had a chance to look closely at character creation, but I will tomorrow.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

For the record, I think Magic Healer fits best for Qistina, since people were curious. Will get a full sheet up shortly, but not tonight.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
pre:
Daniel Baisden

Color:	Dark Blue 

Treasured Item: Travel Guide

Class:	Minstrel
Type:	Attack

HP:	16
MP:	12

Abilities: (Average Set)
STR:	6
DEX:	6
INT:	6
SPI:	6

Carrying Capacity: 	8/9

Mastered Weapon: Blade, Bow

Skills:
	Name				Check
	Well-traveled			-
	Knowledge of Tradition		[INT+INT]
	Music				[DEX+SPI]

Gear:
	Basic Traveler's Set
		Large Backpack
		Sleeping bag
		Wooden utensils
		Water pouch
		Rations (2)
	Sword
	Used Guitar (Kept in Pack)

610 Gold
(Daniel's traveling light and ready to contribute to the party finances! Also, I'm okay with Ballast being broke if everyone else is.)

New fact: Daniel's father, in particular, is enamored with the idea of "sheet music", a way to record sound onto paper. Daniel's a bit skeptical himself (how would that even work?), but he promised his old man that he'd search for some anyway. Best to keep him happy, ya know?

The Party: "How do I know everyone? Well...

"Doesn't everyone know Peregrine? You can hardly miss her, she's not the type to be ignored. She's done the most traveling of all of us though, so I think I'll follow her lead out on the road. I don't want to slow anyone down.

"Qistina? She's nice, I guess. Seems VERY serious about her job. I've walked into the Grassia Tea a few times (it's got great decor) and was always impressed with her dedication to a good cup of coffee. I've never had the heart to tell her that I don't like the stuff. I hope it doesn't come up. I'd hate to offend her...

"Jingle helped us fix the roof once, and he keeps the most beautiful garden. I've never heard anyone say anything unkind about him. He's like something out of one of my mother's old books. I look forward to learning a bit more about how he lives on this trip. (Does he eat? Notes for later.)

"Mew and Ballast showed up a little while ago, just as I was gearing up to start my journey. The little fluff ball seems a bit excitable, but something about the way he smells seems... familiar. His knightly companion seems a bit odd, but she(?) comes from a far off land. They probably do things a bit differently there. Although, I don't think I've ever seen Ballast blink. I'll ask the two of them if they've heard of any libraries on their travels.

"Where are we headed? I'm sure that I don't know, but I heard someone say that it was the site of an old airship crash. Which one? You know, the one owned by that old eccentric from the Wainwright family, filled with all kinds of oddities. Kind of like a floating museum. That'd be an interesting trip, wouldn't it? What was it called again?"

(I'm willing to re-write anything if it doesn't fit in with something someone else would like to suggest/had planned.)

Zerbin7 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 16, 2015

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

All the cool kids are posting sheets, so I put mine in my previous post.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

pre:
Name: Jingle 
Image Color: The green of a newly sprouted plant

Class: Farmer
Type: Magic

Abilities
Str: 6
Dex: 6
Int: 6
Spi: 6

HP: 12/12
MP: 12/12
Capacity: 12

Mastered Weapon: Light Blade
Personal Item: Jar of dirt

Skills
Robust  +1 bonus to Condition Checks.
Animal Owner You can keep 2 more animals for a total of 3 without paying for their food and water.
Side-Job: Herb Gathering : (STR+INT)-1   Find a single Healing Herb. Critical: Find 3 Healing Herbs. Fumble: Afflicted with [Poison: 6]
Will: Max MP +4
Spellbook: Acquire 2 Incantation spells per level
Seasonal Sorcerer: Spring: Acquire Seasonal Magic

Spells
Alert Bell Alarm- 4 MP
Cure Touch- 4 MP
Low-Level Spring Magic 2 MP to 4 MP

Gear
Basic Kit
Light Blade
Ugly Rain boots
Herb Bottle
Leather Notebook
Quill Pen
Baby Pet Animal: Crow(Edgar)

Total Capacity Used: 9

155 Gold (153 put toward party kit)
New fact: Jingle is a vegetarian, and eats by simply pushing the food up against where his mouth would be. For some reason, no one finds this strange.

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 2, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

pre:
Qistina Brown

Class: Healer			Type: Magic
STR 4	DEX 4	INT 8	SPI 8	HP 8	MP 20	CC 7
Personal Item: Witch's Hat	Weapon: Mega Spoon (light blade)

Skill		Stat		TN
Healing		INT + SPI / INT	NA
First Aid	INT + SPI	Status Effect
Herb Gathering	STR + INT	Topography

Ability		Effect
Will		Max MP +4
Spellbook	Cure Touch, Tastegood Taste
Seasonal Magic	Summer Magic

Items: Mega Spoon, Clothes, Water Bottle, Herb Bottle, Small Goods (beans), $167
Dropped the $153 to pitch in for the kit.

It turns out... Qistina was adopted! She was found underneath a tree by her parents. No quotation marks there, they raised her. She doesn't know, though.

Qistina probably knows Peregrine and Daniel the best from her years growing up, but prefers beans from Jingle, and Mew is a nuisance (she secretly likes him anyway).

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 22, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Working on character sheet. Man, having this bike makes gear pretty tight. I've only got 120G left to contribute to the Party Kit, and that would leave me at 0G.

e: Here's the sheet.

Character Sheet posted:

Name: Peregrine
Image Color: Bright reddish pink

Class: Artisan
Type: Technical

Statistics
STR 6
DEX 8
INT 6
SPI 4

HP: 12/12
MP: 8/8
CC: 10/12

Mastered Weapon: Lance
Personal Item: Her mother's pocket knife

Skills
Trapping [Dex + Int] (TN: Monster level x2) {After defeating a monster} SKILL EFFECT: Take materials from a defeated Monster.
You are able to harvest valuable materials, such as leather or food, from defeated monsters. The type of item you receive on a success is shown in the Monster’s entry in the Dragonica.

Crafting (Sundries) [STR+DEX] (TN: See Table 1) {Anytime you have the time (1 day per size) and materials (1/2 the gold cost)} SKILL EFFECT: Make an item from your specialization. Choose the specialization category when choosing this class.
You can use this skill to make handy, cute, beautiful and delicious things. As long as you have the time and tools, you can make things during your Journey. Since each craft is different, so too are the things each character can make. When choosing the Artisan class, choose a single category from the item list below as your specialization. If you choose “Shoes”, for example, you can make any item from the Shoes category. If you fail this skill check, you may try again; the materials won’t be lost, but the time will.

Repair [STR+DEX] (TN: See Table 1) {Anytime you have the time (1 day per size) and materials (1/2 the gold cost)} SKILL EFFECT: Repair an item and return its durability to its original value.
You can repair damaged items, restoring their durability to its full value. Use the chart from the Crafting skill to determine the Repair Check target number. 10% of the item’s gold value is spent, regardless of whether you succeed or fail. You may retry a failed skill check, but you will have to pay the cost again.

TABLE 1: TN is for items up to the given price in G.
pre:
ITEM PRICE	100	1000	10000	100000	MORE
TN		6	8	10	14	18
Abilities
Accurate: Gain an extra +1 bonus to any check when using Concentration, for a total bonus of +2.

Quick: +1 bonus to Initiative checks in combat.

Pocket: Your Carrying Capacity is increased by +3.

Gear [120G?]
Lance [3]
Basic Kit [3]
Repair Kit [1]
Motorcycle (As riding animal, loud)

New Fact: Peregrine's reputation as a troublemaker isn't entirely misplaced, but several of her more famous "exploits" were actually the work of her sister Kestrel. Peregrine took the blame for them because she saw that Kestrel would be the one to settle down with the shop.

The Party: Peregrine knows Quistina pretty well, and gets coffee at her shop pretty regularly. Though Peregrine is always looking for a way to get out having to pay actual coin for her drinks, by offering free repairs, favors, or barter usually. Though she isn't much interested in farming or plants, Peregrine is probably well known to Jingle for helping herself to snacks in his gardens, and generally making a nuisance of herself. Peregrine thinks Daniel is a bit of a dork, but is ready to take him under her wing (whether he's ready for that is another matter).

Peregrine is very interested in Ballast, given Ballast's obvious connection to technology, and Ballast's laid back attitude gives Peregrine an irresistible urge to get a rise out of Ballast. As for Mewcephalus, she finds him annoying and nosy and gets into petty quarrels with him pretty regularly.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 20, 2015

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Panicking over a job search isn't fun, but the situation is calming down a bit now. I'll try to get my sheet up by tomorrow, sorry!

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

quote:

Ballast, The Precious Knight of Arcadia
Class: Technical Hunter
Identification: Arcadian AI Organic Android, BALLAST-class Regulator Unit
Image Color: Light Blue

HP 16, MP 08

STR 8, DEX 6, INT 6, SPR 4

Mastered Weapon: Blade

Carrying Capacity: 11/14

Personal Effect: Knight's Visor
The slightly transparent, blue metal that Ballast's visor is composed of is supposedly a very rare and strong metal. As an accessory, however, it provides little in the way of any actual protection.
Arcadian Superdermal Jacketing (Uncool Light Armor) [3]
With little sense for how clothing should work, the Arcadians often made strangely shaped clothing with the intent of covering structural weakpoints, dissimilar to those of a more human anatomy. The result looks nonsensical to most.
Knitted Penguin Pillow (Cute Pillow) [1]
Found amidst an abandoned caravan near Arcadia, Ballast claimed this as her own for sentimental reasons in the previous Arcadian structure. The shift to the monarchy has caused her to forget the significance of the odd bird-shaped headrest, but she keeps it around regardless, displaying a primal attachment to an object that remains entirely absent from Arcadians besides herself.
Padded Sleeping Roll (Sleeping Bag) [1]
Arcadians might be androids, but they are bonded to organic material. Sleeping on the bare floor is just as uncomfortable for Ballast as anyone else.
'Lion' Batteries (Rations) x3 [3]
High efficiency batteries common to Arcadia. Similar ones exist outside Arcadia, but they exist to power significantly less complex devices than Ballast.
Material Rendering Tool (Blade) [3]
The Arcadian approach to simple tools often consists of overly large and heavy weaponry. Without a need to travel, encumbrance and storage space simply weren't taken into consideration. When the shift to emulated monarchy came about, the Knights already had blades conveniently at the ready from use as agricultural tools.
27 Gold Pieces
People outside Arcadia place odd and arbitrary values to these seemingly worthless bits of metal, but Ballast remains curious enough about this behavior that she won't simply throw these things away.

Animal Tracking [STR+INT]
You can track four types of monsters (animal, phantom beast, demonstone, or phantom plant) by following their prints and spoor. You will also receive a +1 bonus to damage against a monster tracked using this skill.
Skill Effect: Find a monster’s location. +1 bonus to damage against any monsters found.

Trapping [DEX+INT]
You are able to harvest valuable materials, such as leather or food, from defeated monsters. The type of item you receive on a success is shown in the Monster’s entry in the Dragonica.
Skill Effect: Harvest materials from a defeated Monster

Hunting [DEX+INT]
You are able to catch small wild animals for food. This skill is used just before the camp check is made, however, if you decide to go hunting, you cannot also help set up camp. The higher the result of the check, the more food you catch.
Skill Effect: Receive a number of rations equal to Check result – target number, but cannot participate in the camp check. Critical: All food is Delicious. Fumble: Afflicted by [Injury: 6] status effect

Accurate: +1 to Concentration checks
Quick: +1 Initiative
Pocket: +3 Carrying Capacity

Should all check out. Deducted 153 for the party pack.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

If Daniel and Peregrine don't want to put money toward the party kit, I can pay the extra 306 gold. Kinda surprised I ended up with that much, actually.

So, how do we want to divide up roles? I'm thinking Quistina should be our Mapper, since she has the highest Int. If someone's planning on picking Merchant as their second class, that person should probably be Quartermaster; otherwise it could be anyone. Maybe Jingle, since he's from a food-based class? I dunno. Daniel seems like a logical pick for Journal Keeper, but Mew could do it too. For Leader, I have no real opinion.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
I'm willing to contribute; I was just holding off until I saw Ballast's sheet. We're getting the extra tent by your math so I'll drop the 306 gold (leaving me with 304). Quartermaster should get to decide what our pack animal is, so I second your recommendation of Jingle, because the "donkeylime" sounds amazing. I'll be the Journal Keeper if no one else wants it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm fine with Qistina being the mapper, as long as you don't mind coffee rings on your maps.

• Locked thread