Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Steel Ocean is a chinese f2p world of warship like game on steam found here.

It plays more like battlestations than world of warships and despite not looking that good has so far been amusing and has shown to have a good gold / vip system. Unlike world of warships, this game includes submarines and they are rather balanced.

:siren: British Ships are in. DDs and CVs are now. More later. :siren:

Differences between World of Warships and Steel Ocean
China vs Russia
Submarines
Automatic and manual AA
Can control secondaries on ships
An expansive system for gold and events
A lot of ways to get free experience
Surprisingly good for an asian game
Graphics are worse and some ships have visible problems
Built in VOIP with T for push to talk
Plays much faster
Platoon size is 5 with limits of no more than 3 battleships, 2 carriers, and 3 submarines.
Has a respawn game mode where it is first team to get to so many kills

Submarines can stay surfaced, submerse, or run deep. While submersed, they use oxygen and can drown. When running deep, they are immune to all damage but depth charges. Submarines can ram each other while underwater. They will have forward and aft firing torpedoes and sometimes a deck gun, although the deck gun may only be AA.

Some people were worried about submarines being over powered but they are prone to getting too close to enemy ships for their torpedoes, drowning due to lack of air, or played by a lot of bad players.

A good submarine will stay still, shoot from long distances, and ambush. They are the slowest ship going 15 knots on the surface and 10 knots when running deep.

These are primarily scouts and their main weapons are torpedoes although they do have smaller guns to protect themselves against larger ships, I’ve had issues with penetrating heavier armor. Torpedoes, unlike guns, do not make you more visible when you fire them allowing you to scout. They are rather fast ships that go about 35 knots. They also are a good defense against submarines and absolutely wreck them.

This is one step up from a destroyer, losing a bit of speed and torpedoes but gaining quite a bit in guns and armor. These are good jack of all trade ships and are good at everything but great at nothing.

This a heavier version of the cruiser which is honestly what most people who say “I want a battleship” actually want.

The heaviest ships in the game play more like artillery in similar games. They can use their primary artillery and secondary guns to shoot people that they can see just fine, but are often victims to torpedo attacks and airplanes. Their armor will often bounce shells unless they manage to land one on the top deck. When firing artillery, you can enter into a bird's eye view to shoot long distances or stay in your normal view for closer distances.

They are prone to dying by anyone with torpedoes. Smaller ships can get right next to you and be too small for you to hit. Most people who want a battleship actually just want a heavy cruiser.

Carriers play like a RTS game. They can select their plane load out like ammunition before a match and then have to wait for planes to be brought up to the deck so that you can form them into wings and launch them. You will have access to scouts, fighters, torpedo bombers, and dive bombers. The only bad things is moving the map around in bird's eye view requires you to click the minimap or move the mouse to the edge of the map as WASD still moves your ship and you have to hold B and right click to use waypoints.

All of your planes are useful but the scouts are the worst plane only because their vision range is less than ships you will be scouting. If you want your bombers to not get destroyed, find ships that are not paying attention or too busy to switch to their manual AA. Every plane that comes back can be repaired and rearmed.

Tech Trees

There is also the Surcouf in the French tree and the Anshan in the Chinese tree. The British should be coming in December.

Playing with Goons

We currently have a fleet up called GOONS. You must have a rank 2 ship to get into the guild and it has a limit of people who can join it. We can raise that as we level up. Just apply and we will let you in, and kick out anyone who is not vetted as being a goon if we need room.

1 Hit Fleet
2 Find [GOONS]
3 Hit Apply
4 Post in thread
Or ask for an invite in this thread and be ignored since I can't do that.

The fleet gives you access to even more bonus money and experience and we can boost this during certain blocks in the week. We will probably need to talk about when to do this at some point.

Neat poo poo and Bad poo poo

There is a growth plan where if you invest money into the game, you will get a return on your investment. You have to do this before Tier 5 and you get a return on each tier from 4 to 8. This will double your gold investment and give you a crap ton of free experience.

Every day you can earn free exp from rankings. There are also monthly and weekly rankings.

There is a random commander / crew system with some active abilities, but to get more commanders you will need to spend merit from events (daily quests) and you will get a random one in return. If you get duplicates you can increase their rank, otherwise playing with them increases their level, and each thing gives you access to more skills.

Submarines can ram each other underwater

It has a weird asian chat censor that will make bigger into **gger you racist

There are two VIP methods and both are at reasonable rates

There is gold ammo in the game that you can not buy with silver, but it isn’t overpowering in the least. The gold torpedoes are laughably bad.

Chat can not be resized in battle yet, but can be resized in game. The devs know about this.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

This is a good game and more people should play it. Even if it's only to make fun of really retarded submarine guys who don't get what a arming time is.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We can put a flag on our ships for our guild now.

We just need an image, no larger than 1024*1024 that will shrink down to 64*64 by the game devs. It can be no larger than 32KBs.

I can't think of a funny one but we can probably change this multiple times for the cost of in game silver.

EDIT: Uploaded isis flag

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 14, 2015

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I am wondering why neither game has a Premium USS Arizona :911:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Just got my first night battle.

I had something like 36 flares and i could not use a spot light.

that is how close I was to a battleship before he could see me.

The Little Furmaid
May 2, 2013
Some of the rare semen I've gotten from the merit lotto system.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Battleships are idiots who often forget they exist as something that can be shot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FebrezeNinja posted:

Battleships are idiots who often forget they have secondary weapons.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
I find it strange that this game measures ship speed in km/h instead of knots.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Mirificus posted:

I find it strange that this game measures ship speed in km/h instead of knots.

Thanks, I am loving retarded

fixed

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I'm not a huge fan of super realistic boat/tank/airplane simulator games and this one has been very fun to play. Also these guys make it very easy to tier up and unlock new things. Flew through tiers 1-3 and could probably have unlocked tier 5 if the matches popped more often.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

welp

The Little Furmaid
May 2, 2013

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Applied to Goons as Killdozer cause Murderizer and Feindfeuer were both containing bad words that the chat filter didn't like.

Also the Nassau has the best camoflage I've seen yet. Painted up like a retarded red river cruise ship, including fake bow-wave and painted on giant windows. :unsmith: Please tell me there are more retarded ww1 style camos available for all the other ships in the game.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Two things:

1) Is the maximum resolution really only 1080p?

2) What the gently caress are commanders and how do I get them? The game is telling me my ship isn't operating at 100% without one but they all seem to cost gold/merit? (I'm about to play my first match in the Caldwell)

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

You get some for leveling up, at least i got two for every tier 2 ship class I bought. So the fastest way to get a complete deck of Commanders is just to unlock and buy a few tier 2 boats.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Gotcha. Shooting DDs with AP isn't dumb in this game, right? (assuming I'm in a DD)

edit: I can't win a game in this to save my loving life, jesus.

edit 2: is anyone else having an issue where your guns don't fire for no apparent reason? undamaged, loaded, pointing the right way - on click, nothing. :(

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 14, 2015

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
since this is a chinese game can I buy gold with Subway gift cards?

this is important

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^ is this an age of wushu reference ^^

also, finally got my farragut, applied to GOONS as Tacocat420

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

For all those looking into CVs:
Bombing is hard as gently caress. You cannot do strikes like you do in WoWs. AA is super deadly, and there is no real assist like autoaim.

You do however get actually a lot of points for spotting. So as CV you are more of a support.

You can select your plane loadout and start your planes in strike groups.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, WoWs taught me a lot of bad habits for this. First round in my destroyer I spot a lone enemy Kawachi. Of course I charge right in, only to be immediately vaporised by about fifty secondaries while managed to get off only one lone torpedo.

Also, for some reason I'm struggling with surprisingly bad performance. I can play WoWs and other comparable games on high details no problem, but here I'm often reduced to just some 30 fps. Any settings in particular I should look out for?

Edit: Oh, also just applied to the fleet, same name as here.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 14, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The game can have some strange performance issues. The graphics sometimes look like rear end and other times they look like some combination of high res pixel art and an arcade sprite game.

Really fun game though. Like most Chinese developers they have some great secondary systems built into the game and thankfully they're all fairly well laid out and explained.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

I'm getting insane lag in this game, like in the thousands (MS). Anyone else?

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

If I kicked you I'm sorry. I woke up and accepted every application I saw until we hit the small cap. So if you're not in or your application wasn't accepted reapply.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Haven't had any lag here.

If you apply, get in, and get kicked, it is because we didn't know you were a goon.

Sorry.

New people who join get the rank new member. We will change that rank when we confirm you and not boot you out.

Commanders are gained via the shop for gold or merit. Merit is gained via events. There are some fleet events and normal play events that will gain you merit. The officers are either specific ones or random.

These commanders then require you to level them up to gain access to some skills. Other skills need to be gained by rarity promoting them via qualification points. You gain more qualification points if you buy a random officer and get one you already had.

Rarity also may improve certain skills besides gaining access to them.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Got accepted, celebrated by decorating my Nassau and instantly grabbing MVP with it after I pimped it.

It's so ugly. :allears:

I also got some high latency sometimes, but as I'm playing on the NA servers from central europe I guess that's fine. Also it's still very much playable.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Downloading now. When you score hits with dive bombers, do they actually do more than tickle the enemy ship like in WoWs?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I haven't played too much as a carrier but torpdeo bombers have done a whole lot more damage than dive bombers.

Mainly because dive bombers seem to require you to go along the bearing of the enemy ship to get the least amount of misses, and larger ships are a better target.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 14, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Things I hate: Being ~500 meters away from depth-charging some cheeky enemy sub, only to have a random stray shell knock out my engine. Which leaves me stranded while the sub sloooowly turns around and gleefully torps me from near point-blank range. :argh:

Edit: Also after yesterday we miiiight just wanna rethink that flag.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Had that happen to me too, only he was so close the torps didn't explode and than he surfaced cause he probably ran out of air and got decimated by my guns. Good times.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We didn't think a mod would approve it, yet they did. We put in for a new flag last night. If you got a flag you want, let us know since it is only 100K to change.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
So I'm doing the tutorial thing and this ship with the torpedoes is pretty fun. Are Destroyers as painful to play in this as they are in WoWS?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Tier 1 and 2 they may be bad just because you will be very far ahead of other people and they won't look to see if their torpedoes will hit friendlies.

But they are good against everything except cruisers. When facing a battleship, if you get close enough you will destroy them with torpedoes, but they can also kill you with a single volley.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

applied to join under fsbkgb

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
welp I applied as GroßJerk

ramming into other boats as a destroyer is p. fun

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We just gained more guild spots.

Donating silver or gold increases the guild funds and levels up the fleet. This gives us more slots.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

We just gained more guild spots.

Donating silver or gold increases the guild funds and levels up the fleet. This gives us more slots.

What's a good amount to give? I don't see what others give so I have no idea what is a valid amount to help expand the guild.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Eh what ever floats your boat

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I Greyhound posted:

Downloading now. When you score hits with dive bombers, do they actually do more than tickle the enemy ship like in WoWs?

After playing a CV for a bit, it seems like dive bombers are decently powerful if rather situational. A single bomb does a decent amount of damage, about 2/3rds that of a torpedo, and the bombers don't appear to need much in the way of a run-up so you can change targets on short notice.

The downside is that the bombs will scatter in an oval that's a little bigger than a BB, so even with an ideal approach there's a chance that they'll just outright miss (though they do at least a little damage even on a near miss). Also, dive bombers appear to be insanely vulnerable to AA fire, I've had whole squads just vaporise attacking just one single isolated BB.

So on the whole, it seems like torpedo bombers are better suited to engaging the enemy line while they're still clustered together from a stand-off range, while dive bombers seem better to finish off damaged and isolated enemies that ideally have their AA weakened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

This really is some wacky splice of WoWS and Navy Field. It's really fun.

• Locked thread