Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

5, if you can get the left edge of the R to line up with the left edge of the F. And I'm super in.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Breadnought posted:

5, if you can get the left edge of the R to line up with the left edge of the F.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
someone do one that integrates a graph of reciprocity failure for portra 400, not me though i'm just an ideas guy

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Dren posted:

someone do one that integrates a graph of reciprocity failure for portra 400, not me though i'm just an ideas guy

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
yes

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

+1 but the title is "reciprocal failure"

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Technically the part next to the word "failure" is the linear region - the reciprocity failure is the region next to the word "reciprocity" :spergin: :science:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The fact that they're swapped is in itself a failure.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i would like to be in on this zine business if it is not too late

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Technically the part next to the word "failure" is the linear region - the reciprocity failure is the region next to the word "reciprocity" :spergin: :science:

This is true, but thought it looked odd done properly

PushingKingston fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 16, 2015

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

PushingKingston posted:

This is true, but thought it looked odd done properly

:shrug: just spitballin shapes and contrasts

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

Mido posted:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Nothing says class like Tiems New Roman

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

alternative and more subtle take on the current title hype:

Trending Towards Failure

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
i would like to do this please

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
I'm interested in doing this also.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I like this a lot.

(I also like 5, and agree with Breadnought.)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mido posted:

This is a pretty good attempt, maybe with the black text overlapping differently so it masks less of the white, or have only some letters go over, maybe ?

e
but with better fonts

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 16, 2015

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I want to throw the question of how this is going to be curated out there, because I think that is a necessity if we want this to suck as little as possible!!

So what are some ideas for preventing the worst of the worst photos from being in this?

Thanks,
RangerScum

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I feel like a theme would maybe be a good idea.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

RangerScum posted:

I want to throw the question of how this is going to be curated out there, because I think that is a necessity if we want this to suck as little as possible!!

So what are some ideas for preventing the worst of the worst photos from being in this?

Thanks,
RangerScum

Hi RangerScum,

We should base it on how many glitter comments the photo has on flickr.

Your pal,
Pukestain

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 16, 2015

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

theme: don't submit photos you know are terrible.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
the photo must have a nice feeling to it, suzanne

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Saint Fu posted:

I feel like a theme would maybe be a good idea.

Someone with a vision for how to organize submissions taking sole charge of curating would be a good idea. Setting a theme ahead of time would be an awful lot like the monthly contest threads and could be kinda ehhh.

A difficulty with curation and this financial model is balancing financial support from the submitters against how many of each submitter's works are accepted. A practical way around this problem would be to cap accepted submissions per submitter and set a flat rate for inclusion regardless of how much work is accepted (1 picture/poem/whatever accepted pays the same as 3).

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

First of all: no theme. Unless it's

Thoogsby posted:

theme: don't submit photos you know are terrible.

As for curating generally... The original idea, having every participant get a two page spread, was put forward because it makes life significantly easier based on a few practical considerations. It works well with the physical constraints of the book (pages need to be in multiples of four), it avoids some people having their work split across back to back pages and its fair financially.

Perhaps the best way of doing it is to have everyone submit five pieces of their (not lovely) work and only the best pieces will be considered. I'm sure even the gooniest of Dorkroom street photographers have something that won't completely gently caress up this book.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

elgarbo posted:

I'm sure even the gooniest of Dorkroom street photographers have something that won't completely gently caress up this book.

:smuggo: we'll see about that

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

elgarbo posted:

I'm sure even the gooniest of Dorkroom street photographers have something that won't completely gently caress up this book.

Been to PAD recently?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Thoogsby posted:

Been to PAD recently?

Admittedly no.

Perhaps the solution is to accept submissions and then mercilessly cull shitposts. Don't participate if you're not willing to face the cold, brutal truth of rejection.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

elgarbo posted:

Admittedly no.

Perhaps the solution is to accept submissions and then mercilessly cull shitposts. Don't participate if you're not willing to face the cold, brutal truth of rejection.

As long as you're comfortable rejecting submissions I think this is a good idea.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

ansel autisms posted:

As long as you're comfortable rejecting submissions I think this is a good idea.

Or if you are on the fence about some and would like an open discussion about them feel free to post it in here. Maybe people will get butthurt for a little bit but that's what makes this forum ~the best~.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

An overall theme wouldn't really work since our photos all have a wide spread of themes, which in itself is what would make the zine interesting. Considering you're the one who initiated this Dorkroom zine and are pretty much most of the work, I think you can be the one to do the curation and rejections. Those who aren't happy with your rejections can go start their own zine :P

So yeah, I'd go with your submit 5 photos idea and then you pick the best 2 for the zine. You'll also probably want to cap the number of participants to maybe 30 so that this doesn't get out of hand.

PS: If you're not comfortable being the curator, I nominate 365 Nog Hogger, who is the Official Dorkroom Mod-Approved Arbiter Of What Is And Is Not Art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

RangerScum posted:

Or if you are on the fence about some and would like an open discussion about them feel free to post it in here. Maybe people will get butthurt for a little bit but that's what makes this forum ~the best~.

An excellent plan.

If you submit your work to this zine you need to accept that you may be publicly judged and potentially rejected.

• Locked thread