Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

The Operative: No One Lives Forever is an funky 60's spy first person shooter with stealth elements that actually work! Released way back in 2000, it's a rare FPS that has actually aged pretty well although it took a bit of work to get it running on Windows 10. This was made back in those wild days before we had HD and widescreen. This game absolutely oozes charm. It's got a ton of incidental dialogue and I'll pick up as much as possible. I'm not actually super familiar with the game but I still think it's wonderful enough to see again. I might also dig into the sequel after this but that's a ways off yet!

There's actually not too much to know about the story that isn't explained within the game. We play as Cate Archer, the first female agent at Unity HQ, a clandestine world peacekeeping force. Of course sexism is in full force as she's yet to have any real operations in the field. But who knows! That could be changing soon. Very soon!

Videos

The Assignment
Scene 1/Polsy

Misfortune In Morocco
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy (issues on Chrome at 25:34, skip past it)
Scene 3/Polsy

Requiem For A Spy
Scene 1/Polsy

Berlin By Night
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy
Scene 3/Polsy

Unexpected Turbulence
Scene 1/2/Polsy

Care To Explain?
Scene 1/Polsy

Rendezvous In Hamburg
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy

A Tenuous Lead
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy
Scene 3/Polsy
Scene 4/Polsy
Scene 5/Polsy (issues on Chrome at 5:53, skip past it)

The Dive
Scene 1/2/Polsy
Scene 3/Polsy

If Our Demands Are Not Met
Scene 1/Polsy

A Man Of Influence
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy
Scene 3/Polsy

Further Investigation Required
Scene 1/Polsy

Safecracker
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy
Scene 3/Polsy
Scene 4/Polsy
Scene 5/Polsy
Scene 6/Polsy

An Ounce Of Hope, A Pound Of Despair
Scene 1/Polsy

Rescue Attempt
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy
Scene 3/Polsy

A Stern Warning
Scene 1/Polsy

Trouble In The Tropics
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy
Scene 3/Polsy

Low Earth Orbit
Scene 1/Polsy

Good Luck And God Speed
Scene 1/Polsy

Alpine Intrigue
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy
Scene 3/Polsy
Scene 4/Polsy

The Indomitable Cate Archer
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy
Scene 3/Polsy
Scene 4/Polsy

A Very Large Explosion
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy

Such Is The Nature Of Revenge
Scene 1/Polsy

Bonus!
Agent Cate Snarker
In The Lounge: Bonus Music and Remixes
A Man Of Wealth, No Taste
Mission Briefings

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Dramatis Personae

Cate Archer

Fearless, flawless, and always fashionable. Our heroine, and the first female field agent in UNITY. A noble-born daughter of Scotland, she was orphaned at the age of 12 and grew up making a living on the streets where she was known under the alias "The Fox". Recruited into UNITY by Bruno Lawrie, whose wallet she unsuccessfully tried to lift. Since being recruited into UNITY she's had no luck in getting what she thinks of as "real work", but due to personnel issues that could change!

Bruno Lawrie

Code name Galahad, Bruno is one of UNITY's finest operatives. A little long in the tooth, he is nonetheless a highly effective operative. Responsible for bringing Cate into the fold, he still serves as a mentor and a source of support.

Mr. Jones

The chairman of The Committee, and the head of UNITY's clandestine operations. Mr. Jones is responsible for directing the operations UNITY undertakes and believes in Cate's performance. More supportive than Mr. Smith, he still does not tolerate incompetence and failure. Probably expected from the sort of business UNITY is in.

Mr. Smith

Deputy Chairman of The Committee. Desperately unlikable. Mr. Smith is an old hand, and retired from active field duty into an administrative job when his time came. He believes Bruno's time is far past, and also believes that Cate's time has not and will never come.

Dimitrij Volkov

A Russian spy, Volkov is notable for his ruthless efficiency and his calling card. Likely holds a grudge against Bruno Lawrie, who is responsible for Volkov's need for an eyepatch. Rumor has it Volkov is now the Director of Operations for HARM. But just what does HARM stand for?

Otto Schenker

Dr. Schenker is the head of the biological explosives department in Eastern Germany. Sounds intimidating! But certainly this won't have any effect on future efforts by UNITY to protect the free world.

Magnus Armstrong

Magnus Armstrong is a true blooded Scotsman with a heart of...well, not gold. But he's more into fair fights than he is into this whole wanton destruction thing. He has a grudging respect for Cate Archer due to her nationality and her damned perseverance. It's not every day you see someone skydive without a parachute and live.

Tom Goodman

Codename Bold Eagle (go figure), Tom Goodman is a welcome addition to the active agent roster. Thought killed in action during a mission in Amsterdam, it seems as though he was able to affect a daring escape. If he can stay that resourceful he'll surely be quite a boon in missions to come. It's just a shame about those shirts.

Inge Wagner

A horrifying operetta. Supposedly a relation of Richard Wagner, Inge has absolutely no vocal talent. Well, that's not being fair. She can shatter glass and cause physical pain to her listeners. But it doesn't sound good, if that's your question. No one seems to be willing to tell her so, however.

Baron Dumas

The head of Dumas Industries, spectacularly wealthy, and an unrivaled huntsman. If appearances are to be believed! Currently under investigation by UNITY for potential associations with HARM.

Baroness Dumas

The wife of Baron Dumas. Seems to have expensive tastes and shopping habits. Does not appreciate being called Chipmunk.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 23, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

ivantod posted:

Also, sadly, a game unlikely to ever be released on services such as GOG or Steam since none of the potential rights-holders are even remotely interested in figuring out who actually owns the rights to it.

Night Dive tried and failed to make this happen, unfortunately--the big corporations just aren't interested, even when somebody else offers to do hard work for them of making the game run on modern hardware/OS.

This is pretty much true and that's awful.

http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

Atomikus posted:

I remember having a fair bit of fun in multiplayer for both this and the sequel; are we going to see any videos of that?

edit: Oh, and yes, be the snarkiest agent in existence.

I've heard good things about the multiplayer but having never played it and needing to dig up ways to play it, I'm leaning towards no. I'm probably going to do the sequel at some point though! That being said I think there is still an active community for the game, multiplayer and all, which is how I got it working on Windows 10. I still run into graphical glitches on occasion but that only takes a little dicking around.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Kurieg posted:

Also: Your you-tube video's description is still linking to the Half-Minute Hero thread.

Fixed that!

Poil posted:

How in the world did you manage to get it running on a modern system? Does it work for the sequel as well?

It took some doing and it's not perfect yet but I got most of the work done from a guide at http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2012/05/23/no-one-lives-forever/

Let me start from the beginning. I recently upgraded to Windows 10. I've got a non-GOTY version of the game, which is an issue since the installer is 16-bit and 16-bit programs don't play well with 64-bit systems. That website has an installer that will work with 64-bit systems, same for applying the patches. It also required screwing around with some DirectX commands and resolution settings to make it work widescreen.

Another problem that's probably unique to Windows 10 is that it doesn't run SECDRV.SYS, which is SecuRom. It's an old copy protection process. Without SecuRom running the game doesn't want to start, luckily a no-CD patch will bypass that. I haven't booted up the sequel yet but I imagine it has similar problems/fixes!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I think I've heard of Old Man Murray but it was before my time. I can't speak to the getting extra health or moving quietly as you get more intel but I can say that being nice to Smithy gets you additional intel for that mission. Obviously being nice to Smithy is objectively the wrong choice so I don't feel bad about missing out on it.

I'd say part of the reason this game stands up is that even though the stealth portions are doable and rarely required, they're still just an option. If at some point things go to hell you're perfectly capable of whipping guns out and finishing up. The real reward for stealth, though is much more intangible. You might get a little text award from some society or other, after blowing up something in the first mission I got an award for collateral damage, after finishing a mission with a sliver of health I got an award for reciprocal damage. No, the award you get for stealth is enemy dialogue. And some of this poo poo gets deep and it's really the reason the game still stands out. I'll be doing my best to show off the best of the enemy dialogue.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

How would you compare this game with, say, the original Deus Ex?

I probably can't make a fair comparison because I never got very far into Deus Ex and I got into it late, hopefully someone with more experience on both fronts can jump in.

Deus Ex gives you a lot more options that change things, whereas NOLF is a linear story. Each mission will always play out the same way aside from some randomization in enemy and intel placement. Activities in previous missions won't come back to haunt you.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

The PS2 actually adds obligatory stealth sections, which were a big reason why I could never beat the game as a kid. If Scruffy isn't planning on showing anything of those, I can find videos done by other people and link to them when we reach the necessary points in the game to show just what's being missed.

Eww eww eww gross. As I recall there's one, maybe two levels in this game that are mandatory which y'know every game has one mandatory bad level. But drat. I'm not planning on doing anything with the PS2 version.

That being said good news! The mandatory sewer level pops up early in the game!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Well that took off quickly :v: expect an update probably every other day unless I get burnt out otherwise. Also I think the snark has definitely won, so there's a bonus video with some sarcastic responses to Smithy. But let's head out on our first mission!

Misfortune In Morocco
Scene 1/Polsy

Bonus!
Agent Cate Snarker

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So part of the included CDs for the game include a bunch of remixed music tracks which aren't heard in the game itself. I feel pretty confident in saying that the additional tracks are definitely not Bond-ish, but I'll leave that up for interpretation. I'm working on a good way to put them online at the moment.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Right! So! I finished putting uploading/together a playlist of bonus music and remixes that were included in the game box. This also has the title track. I figure since the game is likely not getting a re-release and it's not so easy to find these days, this is the only chance some people will get to hear it!

In The Lounge: Bonus Music and Remixes

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
You look like a man who needs a monkey! :v:

Misfortune In Morocco
Scene 2/Polsy

I'd say this is the first scene where the game really hits its stride. And it comes so early!

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 19, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm...not getting the same issues on Youtube. I can reupload, it but that's weird. 25:34 doesn't have any hangup for me on the hard drive or on Youtube. If there's more complaints I'll reupload it and see if that fixes it!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Weird. You can skip past it but it does seem to have issues on Chrome. How bizarre. Works fine on Firefox. Maybe it'll screw up some other videos too :v:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Time to effect an escape from Morocco!

Misfortune In Morocco
Scene 3/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Last time we screwed up!

This time we get a second chance to screw up!

Requiem For A Spy
Scene 1/Polsy

Berlin By Night
Scene 1/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Time to continue our misadventures in the depths of Eastern Germany.

Berlin By Night
Scene 2/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
And now we encounter the end of our adventures in Berlin. But who is that dashing man Scot at the end?

Berlin By Night
Scene 3/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Both of these scenes are pretty short so I'll just be putting them together for this video :v:

Unexpected Turbulence
Scene 1/2/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Today we've been saddled with a first line supervisor. Maybe he'll be useful!

Care To Explain?
Scene 1/Polsy

Rendezvous In Hamburg
Scene 1/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Loxbourne posted:

Also, I see the OP isn't using the hairpin much and said it was underpowered...it's not documented anywhere, but the barrette in "poison" mode is a one-hit kill provided you hit the target on the back of the neck (I think there's a special cursor for it). It has some advantages, one of which is a lengthy delayed-action death animation during which the guard becomes blind and can be openly walked past.

How bizarre. They don't really mention the ability to karate chop dudes in the back of the head either and I haven't screwed with it enough but that makes sense.

Poil posted:

Yes, and only a jerk wouldn't let her know. :colbert:

:saddowns: I think I did it in a practice run.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 2, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Here it is. My favorite enemy conversation in the game. YOU ARE NOT PREPARED.

Rendezvous In Hamburg
Scene 2/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

BurningStone posted:

I could gush about how good this game was, but everybody already has. Are you going to do the second one as well?

Probably! I own it and it'd be a logical follow-up. I'm still planning on doing Batman: Arkham Knight either as the next one or the one after. I've been waiting on the DLC for it to finish up and it's finally finishing this month SOOOO. I'll probably do Arkham Knight next and then come back for NOLF2. It might be the other way around. AUGH I HAVE SO MANY CHOICES.

Not touching Contract J.A.C.K. though. I don't own it and I've heard it's kinda lousy.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Don't mind the ladies laying around looking bored, they'll show up a few times before the game is up.

A Tenuous Lead
Scene 1/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Derek Barona posted:

And yeah, Speedball's right. I've never played this game myself, but I've played enough Payday 2 and MGS to know the best way to kill someone quietly with a gun at close range is to not use it, and this game seems to be following that. You may need to seriously start trying to whack people more, Scruffy.

That's what I get for not playing Payday 2 in about a year. Shame on me.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

Crimefest was a bunch of whiny children making a huge amount of noise over nothing. If they actually cared about their sacred gameplay they'd be protesting the rebalance, MTs don't mean poo poo.

Also don't let a recent event blind you to a year's worth of content. A year is a long time. Depending on what scruffy means that's missing everything from Clover to now - some of the best heists in the game, xp overhaul, vehicles, some fantastic perk decks ...and a mediocre weapon rebalance. Hail to the pistol king :v:

I started a serious fade when The Bomb dropped so I've got some catching up to do.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's about ethics in game development :v:

Loxbourne posted:

The reason you're attracting so much attention with silenced kills in this mission is because you're using incendiary ammo! Hear that little explosion sound when a bullet hits something? Enemies can hear that too.

This is entirely possible. I'll admit I haven't played the game enough to be able to tell when something is making noise but considering a silenced weapon is more like a loud cough than actual silence it makes sense to me that guards would be able to hear it from proximity.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Stealth!

A Tenuous Lead
Scene 2/Polsy

I've gotten a bit further in the game so far but out of curiosity, should I keep up with the stealth as long as there are things to hear or should I start blazing some guns? Because guns will be blazing here and there, I guarantee it. I'm leaning more towards being a stealthy man.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Anchors aweigh!

A Tenuous Lead
Scene 3/Polsy

In case anyone is curious, that secret little alcove I couldn't reach has a special item, earplugs, and a piece of intel.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Aw poo poo get your towels ready it's about to go down

I'M ON A BOAT

A Tenuous Lead
Scene 4/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Fleve posted:

Is that a hint of professionalism in Bold Eagle? I mean, blowing everything up is still firmly American, but at least he didn't blow everything up with us in it.

If I can just point this out: HAW HAW HAW

A Tenuous Lead
Scene 5/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
All these parts were pretty short so I just mashed them together. The starting bit is called "HARM's Promise".

The Dive
Scene 1/2/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
A water level that won't make you hate yourself! Is there anything this game can't do?

The Dive
Scene 3/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Let's get started on the next chapter. This is one I'd call one of the lower points. Hope you enjoy awkward mandatory stealth segments!

If Our Demands Are Not Met
Scene 1/Polsy

A Man Of Influence
Scene 1/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Alas, every game has that one level. This is no exception. But it's relatively painless as long as you keep up with your quicksaves.

A Man Of Influence
Scene 2/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Speedball posted:

I'm sure I saw one of those Codebreaker slots in the first part of A Man of Influence in the offices, too. This game was meant for replayability, wasn't it?

You may recall there was a belt buckle hook in the first mission of the game.

If not, you may recall that there was a minefield and I still haven't received the mine detector.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Speedball posted:

Yeah! I remember that from way back when I originally played this game! With a note next to the minefield by Bruno saying, "Sometimes you need to wait for the right equipment to go everywhere."

Close! When Bruno died there was a book next to him that I couldn't photograph since I didn't have the camera glasses and the note said sometimes you need other gadgets. The note next to the minefield was from Volkov and it said that if any idiots somehow managed to survive stepping into the minefield, he would make sure they didn't survive it for long.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I can tell you it's an easily decrypted cipher, and it's not complicated :v:

I looked stuff up between recordings.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
At last, the face of the man himself is revealed.

A Man Of Influence
Scene 3/Polsy

If you're curious about how it goes if you decide to not cut the Baron any slack on your questioning, try A Man Of Wealth, No Taste.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 23, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's Christmas and I've got obligations today. So! Please have a T-T-T-TRIPLE UPDATE. Nevermind that two of the videos are pretty short.

Further Investigation Required
Scene 1/Polsy

Safecracker
Scene 1/Polsy
Scene 2/Polsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Both of these levels are pretty short, so I'll go ahead and toss them both out. Things will start picking up once we actually get inside the building.

Safecracker
Scene 3/Polsy
Scene 4/Polsy

• Locked thread