Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was 8 when this game came out, so eventually it became a very common thing for me to play on my PS2 through my middle school days. I was very sad to find that there's no real way to get it apart from used copies on the PC (or :filez:) so I haven't been able to play it in years.

The PC version is definitely the definitive one. The PS2 has inferior loading times and has new music altogether, but the tradeoff is three flashback stealth levels to Cate's days as a thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Since I'm a gun guy, I can talk about the very neat weapons in this game as well! There's some common FPS weapons, but also some unusual things that aren't in many games. The Walther P38 is under its real name (mostly), but it was developed and manufactured by Nazi Germany as a cheaper and more reliable replacement for the Luger (which is also in the game). Its operating system is actually a direct ancestor to the famous Beretta 92, which is used by the US military today as the M9. What isn't as well known is that the Germans actually used it as their standard sidearm all the way until 1994 (and took until 2000 to get rid of all their surplus stocks), when it was replaced by the USP of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare fame. They just renamed it the P1 and made it with an aluminum frame.

The "Petri" revolver is a Smith & Wesson Model 37 Airweight or Model 36 Chief's Special. "Airweight" revolvers had an aluminum frame and steel cylinder to make them lighter. Other than the frame material, it's identical to the Model 36 (which I actually have experience with). It's disparaged in-game as a "purse gun" suitable for a lady, but in fact the .38 Special round out of such a small and light revolver has very snappy recoil that can make rapid fire hard to control. In fact, modern shooting experts often recommend that physically weaker people carry either very light calibers or heavier guns that can more easily absorb recoil. Cate Archer preferring a gun in that caliber that weighs less than a pound unloaded would ironically indicate that she's got a strong grip and is an excellent shot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can't actually remember if the dialogue choices lock you out of things, like being too snarky to your boss gets you any kind of punishment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

double nine posted:

I Really wish I could buy this one and play along. gently caress's sake publishers.

http://www.amazon.com/No-One-Lives-Forever-Game-Edition/dp/B00005QX48

gently caress it, I think I'll buy myself a copy too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The PS2 actually adds obligatory stealth sections, which were a big reason why I could never beat the game as a kid. If Scruffy isn't planning on showing anything of those, I can find videos done by other people and link to them when we reach the necessary points in the game to show just what's being missed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dscruffy1 posted:

Eww eww eww gross. As I recall there's one, maybe two levels in this game that are mandatory which y'know every game has one mandatory bad level. But drat. I'm not planning on doing anything with the PS2 version.

That being said good news! The mandatory sewer level pops up early in the game!

In that case, when we reach the requisite parts of the game I'll try and find a video of the level that someone else did. Being an old PS2 game, all of them are likely to be really lovely 360p video but OH WELL.

When we go through the next video or two, I'll talk about some of the experimentation I did with my copy on weapon damage.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 16, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So, interesting new weapon in Morocco!

The "Hampton Carbine" is actually a De Lisle carbine. This was made during World War II as a commando weapon for killing sentries, dogs, etc. It's made by converting a Lee-Enfield rifle to .45 ACP, shortening the barrel, and fitting a fuckoff huge suppressor over it that actually extends past the end of the barrel. It uses modified magazines from the M1911 pistol. .45 ACP is a subsonic pistol round, so normal loadings naturally don't create a supersonic crack as they fly through the air (higher velocity pistol rounds like 9x19mm Parabellum or rifle rounds are normally supersonic and need special loadings to actually be reasonably quiet in a silenced gun). The sound effect in the game is really close to how a real DeLisle would sound, and it's quiet enough that the other people in the apartments likely wouldn't have heard Cate firing unless they were standing in the hallway outside.

It would actually be a pretty awful choice for a sniper rifle. Wikipedia claims a 200 yard effective range, but it's firing a slow and heavy pistol bullet. It's going to drop like crazy over distance. In practice, De Lisles had a bad reputation for accuracy and weren't expected to really be used beyond about 50 yards.

Also, you're absolutely right about the mooks you're sniping being weakened. They appear to have whatever the game's equivalent of 1 HP is, so even a shot to their little toe will kill them. I was very thankful for this, as for some reason on my PC copy the Hampton's scope and scrolling through my inventory with the Shift key cause incredible frame rate drop. The main menu also has a dramatic frame rate drop, while the game itself runs just as smoothly as in your video. Curious programming. Either way, when standing still the bullets from the Hampton always land exactly in the center of the crosshair and you can do the whole beginning sniping sequence without needing the scope at all.

In terms of differences with the PS2 version, the most dramatic is probably that the PS2 runs much slower (around 30 FPS and dropping during major action sequences like a lot of particle effects from bullet impacts). It also has no blood. On the plus side it does have auto-aim, which makes the sniping trivially easy.

On one final note, Bruno is voiced by John Patrick Lowrie. He has a long and accented career, but his most recognizable roles are likely Odessa Cubbage in Half-Life 2 and Sniper in Team Fortress 2. He also voices Sherlock Holmes in The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, a radio drama by Jim French Productions, and Wikipedia claims he's beaten Basil Rathbone for the longest ongoing performance of Holmes in history.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I didn't get any hangups watching on an iPhone.

Anyways, I did a little testing and it seems that the Petri .38 and P38 deal almost the same damage. IMFDB claims the revolver is more powerful, but in my experience both are reliable 2 or 3 shot kills as long as you're not making limb hits. The main advantage is that it has two ammo types later in the game that the P38 can't use, one of which is totally unique to it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We're a little early in the game so far, but I will say that NOLF actually has a surprising amount of variety in its missions and gameplay. I'd best compare it to the console versions of 007 Nightfire.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sel Nar posted:

You can also be a jerk and shoot Bruno's body, though why you'd want to is beyond me.

You can do something else with the body, with one of your inventory items. The details are probably best left to much later in the LP, though, for sake of spoilers of what the item and reaction are.

For the record, shooting his body gives you a game over for desecrating his corpse.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So, Bruno and the senator are dead. Smithy is gonna blow a gasket.

Scruffy did mention in the first video that you make regular trips back to UNITY for more training. And yeah, Smithy and Fat Guy talk to you about how all of your missions go.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was off on vacation so I'm a bit late, but here's the first of the mandatory stealth sequences added by the PS2 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wTzBBmTyXc

This comes in after Cate gets knocked out. If you get caught, you have to restart. This was the bane of my existence as a young player due to the difficulty of getting the sequence right, as for some reason The Fox is so notorious that Cate can't even be seen walking down the sidewalk without being arrested on the spot.

Also, the new weapons we saw! The Hampton MPL is really a Walther MPL. We also saw the UNITY guards back at HQ carrying them. The Walther MPL was the major competitor to the Heckler & Koch MP5 back in the 1960s. It's all over South America and Africa now, but Germany never really bought into it apart from some police and Navy usage and Walther ceased production in 1985. I think the MP5 was better made and more accurate, which is why you still see it being made and modified today and the MPL has faded into gun nerd obscurity.

Obviously, the AK used in Berlin needs no introduction. The variant used by East Germany at the time would have been the MPi-KM-72, with the distinctive stippled brown plastic stock and later brown plastic handguard. You tend to see these often in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria; after the reunification, all the old Soviet-style weapons were sold off to the Middle East, Turkey, etc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Something I forgot to mention regarding the changes in the PS2 version, the body removal powder is also missing. I guess the PS2 couldn't handle having a ton of corpses lying around waiting for the player to remove them, so the bodies just disappear after a few seconds. Those memory issues also mean that there's no "save where you want" feature and levels are split into smaller segments to try and make up for it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like how the doorman is openly gesticulating with a P38 as part of his normal duties.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Loxbourne posted:

I just watched the third Morocco video. You can in fact make cars in this game explode by shooting the gas cap. "Background" cars won't usually have one, but sometimes they will.

Strangely, there was a section in the Santa's Workshop tutorial that demonstrated this...but only in the demo.

This was a bit of a surprise to me when I played that level recently. When the car drove up I started shooting my P38 from afar, and suddenly the car exploded for no apparent reason as the driver got out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just out of curiosity, I took note of that file saying that employees will be awarded 50 deutschmarks if they report a co-worker sleeping on the job. I found a historic dollar conversion for 1967, and it's about 4 DM per dollar. That makes the reward the equivalent of $12.50 in 1967, or $89 today. I'd sure as hell take it on someone I hated.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So the phosphorous ammo is indeed based on real ammunition types, though it's not quite like it is in real life as in the game. The Soviet Union had incendiary ammo for just about all of their rifle and pistol ammo because they were loving crazy. You can find the incendiary stuff sometimes (this is modern ammo with different ingredients), obviously for a high price. The ingredients of modern incendiary ammo are listed as "barium, titanium sponge, and zirconium sponge." Metal sponge, or metal foam, is a block of metal with a ton of gas-filled pores to make it extremely light and easier to ignite (normally zirconium only easily ignites as a powder). It ignites only when it hits a hard target, so it's not likely to do much more against an unarmored human but will burn at 5000 degrees Fahrenheit if it hits a building, vehicle, or body armor or hard gear.

Phosphorous ammo began in World War I, and has a distinctive blue smoke trail when fired. However, it burns out so fast that it only effectively adds damage at 350 yards. They were mostly used by fighters to shoot down hydrogen-filled zeppelins, as it was illegal to use them against humans. World War II incendiary ammo used in air-to-air combat used nitrocellulose with a steel ball in the tip, which would explode with a bright flash and smoke puff and help pilots know they were making hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYFS7AJ0Dtg

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Derek Barona posted:

So, something akin to tracer fire? That's really neat to know.

Yeah, and it was used in conjunction with tracers for the same reason. Unfortunately, the weight of the tracer composition affects the flight path of the bullet so the tracers actually don't fly on the exact same path as the rest of the rounds being fired. You'd probably be better off just loading incendiary or explosive rounds and watching for the flashes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dscruffy1 posted:

Stealth!

A Tenuous Lead
Scene 2/Polsy

I've gotten a bit further in the game so far but out of curiosity, should I keep up with the stealth as long as there are things to hear or should I start blazing some guns? Because guns will be blazing here and there, I guarantee it. I'm leaning more towards being a stealthy man.

I say to stay stealthy so we can get as much dialogue as possible. There's enough times in the game where you inevitably end up guns blazing anyway.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Not being able to get all dialogue in a simple playthrough would drive me crazy. Not sure how it'd deal with all the femme fatales AP has, though.

I see no reason not to have a lesbian protagonist.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Oh my god, yes.

Although I'm not exactly well-versed in things Bondy: aren't Bond Girls supposed to be generally useless eye candy? Because that's sure as hell not the case.

Yeah, the quintessential "Bond Girl" does little or nothing to advance the plot except one or two token useful tasks. Even the ones who are meant to be competent at something (like Melina Havelock in For Your Eyes Only or Anya Amasova in The Spy Who Loved Me) are often way below Bond himself, so he still needs to carry all the weight. Some of them are point blank useless dead weight who would be better off missing altogether.

I think one of the first Bond girls who actually has some kind of use for the plot is Natalya in GoldenEye. She's not a fighter (though she does get herself a gun later on), but she's got computer skills and knowledge that are actually necessary for the plot to advance and is the one to stop the bad guy's scheme in the first place.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Remember that mandatory stealth flashback mission we got on the PS2 version after Armstrong knocked us out on the plane? Turns out, that's not the only one! Every time Cate gets knocked out, you get one of these added on the PS2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toPTOqqkfXk

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yes, the Braun is a P08 pistol, better known as the Luger after its inventor. The P38 was the attempted replacement for it during World War II, but they both served concurrently until after the war. The Luger has a reputation for being really fragile, but other accounts I've read have actually suggested that this falsely comes from poorly maintained trophy guns or loading the valuable guns with very weak ammo to avoid damaging it, resulting in more jams.

However, it's definitely more complicated than a P38. Instead of a big slide on the top half of the pistol, the bolt is connected to a toggle lock. It's a joint that basically bends like a knee as the bolt goes back.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cyanide-tipped bullets are kinda a thing? People have tried to make poisoned bullets for a long time (I think some Prohibition-era gangster performed a hit with bullets stuffed with garlic and such to infect the wound), but they're not commonly used because even if you got enough poison left in the body (and bullets don't hold a lot) to kill over time, it would only be after they've fled your attack. More than likely, good aim will mean that the bullets kill them.

The new SMG Cate starts with, the Gordon 9mm, is a Sterling Mk. IV submachine gun. It was the replacement for the World War II-era Sten and its prototype predecessor, the Patchett, saw some experimental use during the war. The British used it until 1985 when the L85A1 assault rifle replaced all battle rifles and submachine guns. It's still being made in India, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guy Fawkes posted:

I really hope that was only a urban legend, but I remember the first time I've heard of this game, before the official release, was in an article from a computer magazine. In the article there were references about the Gadgets the protagonist would use in the game, and one of them was a robotic poodle able to attack the most ferocious guard dogs with its mechanic jaws, forcing them to escape. Luckily, when I played the game, I found the realty was much less gruesome.

Just like how you get points for running over pedestrians in GTA 3?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the best parodies are the ones made with love for whatever they happen to make fun of.

Accurate. A parody that doesn't like what it's parodying is just pointing and laughing. The Seltzer and Friedberg films are the worst examples.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think you just didn't get close enough with the body removal powder. Best to get right over the body and dump the powder as close as possible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A Darker Porpoise posted:

It was pointed out earlier in the thread :v:, the encrypted stuff is just an Atbash cipher; you just reverse the alphabet so A becomes Z and B becomes Y then so forth down the line. "pmlxp vn lfg gsv ylc ofpv" becomes "knock em out the box Luke"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=493ljyoox6o

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Funny enough for the Baron, an elephant was actually killed with a .22 rifle by Peter Hathaway Capstick. He was working in Kenya for the government, culling herds and killing rampaging elephants. He did it on a bet, as he knew one specific spot (behind the foreleg where friction rubs the hide thinner) where an artery was just under the hide.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Am I the only one thinking that the codebreaker schematics on the wall in Santa's Workshop is just their concept art pasted on the wall?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As someone who knows this answer, this page is great.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Poil posted:

Has there been any blood from any body?

Funny enough, the PC version has little blood puffs on successful hits but the PS2 totally removes that and enemies simply collapse when killed. The PS2 also just fades away bodies after a few seconds and thus doesn't have Body Removal powder, presumably because the port couldn't handle the memory of keeping every corpse in a level there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There are definite hints as to the traitor in the game so far. Some are obvious, some not so much. In fact, the motivation of the traitor has been directly stated in dialogue...but not in the way that you're probably thinking of.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, when we get to the reveal I'll say what the hints are.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WFGuy posted:

I've always liked Joss Whedon's mantra of 'hire your villains from comedy', the thinking being that comedy is harder than anything else, so if they can do that well, they can ace a dramatic feature. That saying was in the Serenity commentary track (whose villain was Chiwetel Ejiofor), and it's held up pretty well every time I've seen a good comedy actor play a baddie.

This is true. Anyone can play an emotionless psychopath by just resisting the urge to smile and laugh, and anyone can ham it up like Jonathan Pryce in Tomorrow Never Dies. Good comedy takes an understanding of timing and how to elicit responses, which makes for an excellent actor when it comes to drama.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait, if it was a secret base, how did we already have an inside man?

You know, that's a very good question. How did we already get a man on the inside if UNITY only believed the secret base to be in this area?

It's not a plot hole.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh, I forgot that we've got a new weapon here!

The M79 grenade launcher was the standard American grenade launcher during Vietnam, and is still in limited use today for the range and accuracy over underbarrel launchers. It was only put into service in 1961, so it's fairly new by the time of this game (but not the newest weapon period, which we haven't seen yet). It's basically a gigantic single-shot shotgun in construction, which makes it extremely simple.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speedball posted:

It fires the same round as an M203 grenade launcher, but the M203 is meant to be an attachment to an assault rifle, so the M79 doesn't see a lot of action these days. Easier to just have a gun that's also a grenade launcher and haul that around than two separate guns.

The M79 is still in service, albeit limited. It has a slightly longer barrel and a proper stock to shoulder it from, so it's a little more accurate for long range shooting. They're also common worldwide.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That sniper rifle is the SVD Dragunov (officially it was designated the SVD-63 but nobody calls it that). It came into service in the USSR in 1963, firing the same 7.62x54mm cartridge as the old Mosin-Nagant bolt-action rifle that served admirably in the two World Wars. It was a bit ahead of its time in that the Soviet Union sort of pioneered the modern "designated marksman" role, a guy embedded in a squad with a scoped rifle who fired at point targets up to several hundred yards away. Most other nations at the time used bolt-action rifles that were very accurate at long range and used increasingly more powerful optics, but the Soviets issued a semi-automatic gun with a 4x scope that was best used at ranges of 800 meters or less. Today, just about every modern military does exactly that.

Also, trivia note: the Dragunov may look a lot like an AK, but the two have almost nothing in common internally. However, the Romanians make the PSL sniper rifle that looks extremely similar to the Dragunov but really is just a bulked up, 7.62x54mm AK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scruffy's bit about "Why would you leave the codebreaker behind? It's only ever done its best" feels like something out of Undertale.

The good news is that in this game, That One Level is followed up by an extremely cool one!

• Locked thread