Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
People go on and on about barbecue and how it's the best thing to come out of the South, but I have to disagree. Nothing beats a good gumbo or jambalaya or étouffée. What else comes close to the delight and taste of a well-made roux?

I mean, just look at this. This is what flavor looks like. I challenge you to name any better Southern cuisine than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
OP is 110% right

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

OP is 110% right

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
that looks like vomit honestly op

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

did you take that picture

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Now THAT'S flavor country!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
I agree, I'd like to visit that part of America at some point and sample these delicacies that you have mentioned. Additionally, cornbread

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Heehee Hartlocks posted:

did you take that picture

...who wants to know?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
cajun food is good but i feel like the selection is limited

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

nice...... for me to POOP on!!!!!!!!!!

PizzaThief
Sep 22, 2006

Traveling through time AND space?
It's amazing if you like pure salt.

Which you should not.

Only good food like item in cajun country is a bignet.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Now re read my posts in a thick old timey Louisiana accent.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
it is a shame there is no good shack style restaurant for the classic rice dishes, like gumbo, etouffee, et al so unless you're making it yourself odds are you're in an over priced $30 but tasty plate restaurant or an overpriced $20 but mediocre restaurant

there's a ton of them for po boys but...heck it gets old man

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

PizzaThief posted:

It's amazing if you like pure salt.

Which you should not.

Only good food like item in cajun country is a bignet.

get a load of this dumb fag everyone and laugh. point and laugh

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Frostwerks posted:

get a load of this dumb fag everyone and laugh. point and laugh

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
next time you're in new orleans, why not go a little bit out of your way and get a tasty Banh Mi

the bread makes all the difference, and they have a lot of nice bakeries there for french bread

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

the only thing you'll be cajun is the most amazing farts in the world they could tip a cow over I swear

haha

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
OP do you guarantee

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

VendaGoat posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

It's crawdads all the way down! :shittypop:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Cajun is also great because it's basically designed for hot sauce, unlike most other American cuisine.

If it doesn't give you stomach ulcers and make you grab a pitcher of water, it's not hot enough imo.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hi, yeah it's my birthday. I'd like 27 po boys plz.

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

*elegantly sprinkles a few flakes of paprika onto a vienna dog, then squirts five whole lemons on top*

behold...... cajun

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Heehee Hartlocks posted:

*elegantly sprinkles a few flakes of paprika onto a vienna dog, then squirts five whole lemons on top*

behold...... cajun

As long as your boyfriends cock tastes good to you, whom am I to judge? :shrug:

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

As long as your boyfriends cock tastes good to you, whom am I to judge? :shrug:

:agreed:

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Cajun is also great because it's basically designed for hot sauce, unlike most other American cuisine.

If it doesn't give you stomach ulcers and make you grab a pitcher of water, it's not hot enough imo.

hmmmm

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Heehee Hartlocks posted:

behold...... cajun

You're missing gumbo file in that seasoning. For shame.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

Where's the classic newspaper bedding that exposes these people as the barbarians they are

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Heehee Hartlocks posted:

that looks like vomit honestly op

I was a busser at a blues club that serves cajun food and these two fat guys were there drinking pitcher after pitcher of beer for like 5 hours. One of them had an etoufee and I went to his table thinking he was probably finished with it since a few minutes ago his bowl was almost empty. But when I went to the table, his bowl was full, which confused me. It took me a moment before I realized what had happened. It really does look the same before and after. Dude was just chilling there in his seat like everything was fine, too.

I still like etoufee though.

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

im not letting up u pieces of poo poo! you basterds! you hunky dory backwards losers

not until u all convert into good old fashioned american burgers and shakes!!!!!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

eSports Chaebol posted:

I was a busser at a blues club that serves cajun food and these two fat guys were there drinking pitcher after pitcher of beer for like 5 hours. One of them had an etoufee and I went to his table thinking he was probably finished with it since a few minutes ago his bowl was almost empty. But when I went to the table, his bowl was full, which confused me. It took me a moment before I realized what had happened. It really does look the same before and after. Dude was just chilling there in his seat like everything was fine, too.

I still like etoufee though.

This is a great addition to the thread. 10/10, thanks for your fascinating barf story.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tarranon posted:

next time you're in new orleans, why not go a little bit out of your way and get a tasty Banh Mi

the bread makes all the difference, and they have a lot of nice bakeries there for french bread

Bahn mi is so good

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Tarranon posted:

I keep meaning to catch more places to see in NOLA when I'm out there, other than stumble about drunk like an idiot.

Cajun food is good food, and that's being said by a Texas. But then, east Texas is basically swamp land so we get to take part in it too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ashgromnies posted:

cajun food is good but i feel like the selection is limited
The strictest defining element is it needs to have gravy, cayenne pepper, onions, peppers, and celery. You can and should add any protein you'd like to the mix, like nutria. Please eat the nutria, because I don't want to eat the nutria.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
they're the cutest invasive species ever

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

It wouldn't be the Enterprise without a Sulu at the helm

Cajun food makes my butt spew.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

pictured: my grandfather

and an old man eating a popsicle!!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Gotta agree. Nothing tastes better than jambalaya and nothing smells better than broiling crawfish.

I was once in NO with a friend who had never had broiled crawfish. One of the missions of the trip was to get her some. We were wandering around by frenchman street when we passed by a place with a broiler set up between a mesh window and a fan pointing out toward the sidewalk. I watched her pass by then pivot and return to press her nose against the mesh screen like bugs bunny getting picked up by an odor-hand. That was the place we ended up getting it at. Unfair and predatory advertising technique.

Later, everyone bitched when Katrina brought refugees here to San Antonio. And I cheered cuz before that the only cajun food in town was loving papadeaux and I wanted an honest to god cajun and or creole shack. Within a year there were several decent ones. Thanks katrina!

Anyway, mofuckin cajun food: its good. I gare-on-tee! Hoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
It's alright, everything tastes the same though.

They pour a can of this on everything. If you dab a little on your tongue you've pretty much eaten every cajun dish there is.

• Locked thread