Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Meldonox posted:

Do icon pack recommendations count as app talk? I'm using Nova and I'm kinda curious if I'm missing out on a good one.

I've been using Tiny White for a real long time.

Teaches of Peaches posted:

I just got minimalistik a couple weeks ago and I have been really happy with it. I posted a screen shot in the android customization thread.

Got a link? Nothing shows up in a play store search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I never disabled notifications and never got a single peep from them. Seems safe so far. Nothing scummy hit my radar.

This was brought up almost a month ago, but it sounded interesting until I saw the permissions. (I've been out of town and I'm catching up on the thread.) These look super sketchy:

quote:

ZEDGE™ Ringtones & Wallpapers
Zedge
Free
This app has access to:

Identity
find accounts on the device
add or remove accounts

Contacts
find accounts on the device
read your contacts
modify your contacts

Photos/Media/Files
modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
read the contents of your USB storage

Storage
modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
read the contents of your USB storage

Other
receive data from Internet
create accounts and set passwords
install shortcuts
run at startup
use accounts on the device
view network connections
set wallpaper
modify system settings
full network access

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
What makes OneNote better than Google Keep?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Gyre posted:

Can anyone recommend me a budgeting app that lets you overflow unspent money in a budget to the next month? Like if my initial budget is $150 a month and I don't spend $50 of it, the next month's budget will show I have $200 to spend. I find this much more intuitive for leisure spending.

A couple pages back but mint.com

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

If you want a good radar I'd recommend just buying Radarscope. It won't tell you temps or wind speeds but it's a fantastic radar program.

:10bux: for a radar app? :homebrew:

1Weather is excellent and has a good radar.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Waze is fantastic.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Tapet was mentioned a few times in this thread and I just wanted to say thank you and that it's awesome.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Don't you get battery percentage if you drag the notification bar down, and get time to charge/drain if you click on it?

Not on my Note5.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Is there a top-tier MP3 library/player app out there? I know the push is to the cloud, but I'd like to load up a 128GB MicroSD with a ton of albums for offline listening, and an app that can handle a huge library well would be nice.

Alt. answer: rocket player + isyncr

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Trent Razor1911 posted:

I use Poweramp and I'll add that it's really ugly and has a million functions.

Agreed.

I've been using Rocket Player for years and it's excellent.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
What's everyone's favorite recipe app?

Or are they all pretty much the same?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Can anyone think of the most material designy non-Google apps? I'm trying to see best practice. Weather Timeline is on my list.

I'm also looking for stuff that uses a tabbar or other visible icons instead of just the hamburger menu.

Perhaps this is worth a look? Also has an RSS feed if you want updates.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

XIII posted:

Definitely helps offset that their prediction algorithm is the weakest of the major keyboards.

You have this backwards, I think. SwiftKeys prediction is very, very good.

e: nevermind

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Looks cool but it doesn't seem to have a schedule widget which is what I'm looking for. Also one that incorporates upcoming reminders.

Basically I want the schedule widget for the calendar except transparent :spergin:

Does this help?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

iroguebot posted:

I admit I barely come to IYG, did a quick glance on the first page of the subforum and the first page of this thread and didn't see anything like this. I keep getting tons of robocalls, Indian IRS calls, and car warranty calls, I often let them hang up but sometimes answer them expecting another call from someone, is there a good, actual way to block these things? I downloaded a quick and lovely app but it's full of ads and seems more shady than it's worth. I'm either going to need to try and fix these calls, or just end up getting a new number as this one's pretty old.

I've had some luck with TrueCaller but it's not exactly the best app ever.

Unfortunately it seems to be the best of what's available.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not sure why you'd use any alarm app other than Timely tbh

It hasn't been updated in 2 years and lots of reviews are saying it's wonky. :(

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Just got an email saying they're shutting down the amazing Prosper Daily (formerly BillGuard) and I'm real sad.

The email said to switch to https://claritymoney.com but of course, it's iOS only.

What financial tools are you folks using?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That sounds pretty much identical to Mint, and since they are owned by Intuit, they aren't likely to shut down any time soon.

Kind of.

Prosper would alert me ~once a day with my spending and have me approve each transaction which was incredibly helpful.

I can't find the same alerts in mint :(

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Deeters posted:

Does anyone have a good fuel mileage tracking app? I was using Fuelly, but the "app" is pretty much just a holder for their website. And I'm too lazy to make something in Sheets that does what I want.

aCar does all of the vehicle things.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Uthor posted:

Looks like it was last updated late 2015. Doesn't seem like it's being worked on anymore.

Looks like they've merged with another company and are developing version 5.0.

Which probably means it will suck. :(

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 4, 2017

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Anyone know why there's a bunch of weird apps that are listed as "not compatible" with my stock Verizon Note 5?

Hoplite and the Opinion Rewards survey apps seem like there shouldn't be an issue there.

:confused:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

XIII posted:

You've been Samsunged

Fuuuuuuuck.

e: clearing cache and data of google play services fixed it :o

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 3, 2017

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

YouTube Red is worth every penny I pay for it.

Same. It's excellent.

Google Music is a sweet bonus.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
[quote="Echophonic" post="476478939"]
Have a bit of a weird one. Can someone recommend me an app to keep track of things on a week-to-week basis? Basically, I just want to write down what songs I do at karaoke and the date so that I'm not doing the same stuff all the time. I found some simple journaling app (Journal, naturally), but there's got to be something more useful for tracking simple discrete events like that.

/quote]

Wunderlist? Google Keep? OneNote?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Do you not have virtually unlimited money from surveys?

There's like 4 goons in this thread that constantly get surveys and have fat rear end google wallets with $50 of free money while the rest of us sit with $0.14 from that one survey 5 months ago and we've never got another since.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
What does the Twitter app do or not-do that inspires you folks to go 3rd party?

Just wondering what I'm missing out on.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

Nova Launcher pro is a dollar. I didn't know launchers were still so popular but the Reddit thread regarding it is pretty hilarious with people saying how good it is and others asking what it is.

I tried using the stock launcher on my new Pixel 2 XL. I lasted about 3 days before I went back to Nova.

It's just so good.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

hot date tonight! posted:

https://messages.android.com/

I'm not really sure what google has managed to gently caress up about this yet, but here we go

Play store says I have the latest version of Messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

ZombieApostate posted:

What's the recommended weather app these days? AccuWeather are shitters, one of the apps in the OP doesn't seem to exist anymore and the other is abandoned. Wiling to spend a few survey bucks if necessary.

mother fuckin weather kitty