Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yeah, the Grand Prix GTP.

300hp V8! :woop:

Still FWD! :suicide:

There are turbo kits that take them up over 500hp. The impalas too, but you need the GTP front springs.

That's kinda dumb considering they're 300hp stock and the transmission is only good for about 180hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
Both of the most disappointing cars I ever drove were VAG models. I suppose it was my fault for getting my hopes up.

I drove the B4 Audi S4 when I was DD'ing a '95 BMW M3. The S4 looked so nice on paper. More power, AWD, 6-speed, etc. When I went to the dealer and asked to drive one I was immediately asked "are you going to buy it?" and I told them I wouldn't know until I drove one. There was then a discussion about how they didn't have any for test drives, despite there being 5 on the lot. Eventually I was allowed to test drive the Service Manager's personal car... and it sucked in comparison to the M3. The steering was over-boosted and numb. You couldn't rev match the downshifts because the DBW throttle cut out whenever your foot was on the brake. It felt heavy and slow. When I asked the sales guy for a place to turn around he was completely dumbfounded. His attitude went from "this is not a joyride" to "drive it harder and you might like it".

Almost the same thing with a VW R32. I don't remember the year, but I basically went to drive it because it had the DSG transmission. I didn't like that mostly because it felt weird - probably because I'm old enough that I learned to drive a manual *before* I had a PlayStation. It also had the same lack of feel on all the controls. The sales guy in that case was amazingly cool tho. He asked what I was looking for, went and got one, and said "let's go". When I didn't really like it he was "that's why there are different cars out there" and that was it. I almost felt bad not liking the car because he was a pretty cool guy.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

mungtor posted:

I almost felt bad not liking the car because he was a pretty cool guy.

The best thing you can do for a good person who works in sales, whether you end up buying through them or not, is to take their card and refer someone else later.

Most sales people are shitbags because it's been beaten into their heads that that's the only way to make sales, they weren't all born pieces of poo poo, so try help good salespeople do well to challenge that culture.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yeah, the Grand Prix GTP.

300hp V8! :woop:

Still FWD! :suicide:

It would have been a decent car if they made it AWD, but the W-Body was never set up for RWD or ever had the intentions of AWD. The Impala SS is the same way too, its a rather disappointing car. The exhaust note is amazing, but again LOL GM interior quality and just driving the front wheels makes it pretty lame.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Human Grand Prix posted:

'86 325es. I thought this wouldn't be too far removed from the 325IS but eta motor kinda poo poo, sorry. This is also a general 6-cylinder E30 problem but I don't like the steering; it's too slow and the wheel is gigantic. Are the 4 cylinder ones different?

the 4 cyl's are great if you're going for "slow as poo poo, but very rev happy and fun to drive at legal speeds" but they're not as reliable as the i6's & also slower.

there's a lot of people who feel the exact same way as you about the e30. all you really have to do is swap the motor (even a basic 24v swap works wonders) swap the steering rack for a z3 (2.7 ttl) or e36 m3 (3.0ttl) and get a 370mm mtech 1 wheel (admittedly rare and kinda expensive)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I did also drive a 1990 325is in anger and that was very good aside from the steering. I didn't think it necessarily needed more power but then again the most powerful car I've ever owned has 155hp.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
C6 Z06, I'm sure it's batshit on a track but around town it just felt lethargic

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2014 Mazda 6 for me. I was home and my dad was looking for a new car so we decided to give it a shot. Part of this is probably because he preferred a stick which is only available on the base model. Still, I was pretty unimpressed even in comparison to his old 1999 Passat which had recently undergone a full suspension overhaul. Steering felt over boosted, the ride too soft, and the shifter somewhat imprecise. Both of us were pretty bummed out especially after reading reviews of how great of a car it was. To be fair, it very well may be when I compare it to the Camry/accord/fusions I've been in.

He ended up with a 2-3 year old G37, which, while it's a perfectly great driving car and comfortable inside, shares a surprising amount of interior parts with their Altima.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Residency Evil posted:

shares a surprising amount of interior parts with their Altima.

It's a Japanese luxury marque, it's to be expected.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's a Japanese luxury marque, it's to be expected.

Yup. Part of that is probably because their Altima is optioned out with leather/uprated interior so it just seemed like more of a surprise. Difference felt smaller than going from a regular Golf to an Autobahn GTI.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
1997 Ford Ranger 2.3L 4 cylinder. This truck has a gas pedal that only has slow down, hold speed, and make engine noisy. No matter how far you get into the throttle the engine just gets noisier but not faster. The 0-60 time is pushing 12-20 seconds depending on if there is any wind or incline. Passing? Goodluck! Just a small bridge here requires downshifting to not lose 10mph. The seat foam is crushed in on one side so the springs stab you while giving you scoliosis.

As for the 350z making GBS threads on. I have a 2007 350z with the HR motor and it is quick and really fun to drive but comfortable and quiet enough to drive regularly. I only have 45,000 miles on it but the one thing that fucks it is insurance. It is $1000 a year for full coverage on it but a new silverado single cab is $600 and 2016 veloster turbo $600. Also, why did they use flat black paint on white plastic for the door handles? It is like reverse cavities.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Every car I've driven since I drove an Ariel Atom.

When I got back in my car and there was no massive I realized that I'll ever drive anything with that kind of power:weight ratio again.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Human Grand Prix posted:

I did also drive a 1990 325is in anger and that was very good aside from the steering. I didn't think it necessarily needed more power but then again the most powerful car I've ever owned has 155hp.

Funny that you say that, because E30 325is have roughly 155whp.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Panaflex posted:

I would have to say a 2000 Honda Insight 5 speed manual. Now, for context, my wife was gifted a 2001 Insight about 10 years ago but it had the CVT transmission. It always felt like a tiny deathtrap but it kinda grows on you. The power off the line was reasonable and you could do freeway speeds no problem. I in no way was expecting a track car. Flash forward and we've beaten the 2001 CVT to death. My wife is going on and on about wanting one of the rare ones in a certain green color and a few months ago I found one in Las Vegas with under 200k on it and was immaculate, as if it was dealer maintained and kept in a showroom. I flew down and bought it and began driving it home and HOLY HELL it was the most GUTLESS nearly impossible to drive vehicle I have ever encountered. After doing some research, I found that the 3 cyl 1 liter engine in these cars only have a realistic powerband between 3000 and 3500 rpm. The CVT versions of these cars do a fantastic job keeping the motor tightly contained within this powerband. Not so much with a 5sp manual. A human just isn't able to contain the motor in that powerband the entire time so performance suffers to the point where you would rather get out and push the car sometimes than drive it. Regardless my wife is happy with it and it gets 60mpg with a new battery pack so win win I guess.

As someone with a broken 2000 MT Insight that I haven't driven yet, this is a bit concerning. Although granted my mini had a worse power to weight ratio before it became a garage ornament so who knows. Did the new battery pack make a difference?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

He ended up with a 2-3 year old G37, which, while it's a perfectly great driving car and comfortable inside, shares a surprising amount of interior parts with their Altima.

I was looking at used FX35's for my wife and the interior is awful. Basically right out of an Altima that might have bee ok brand new but any kind of use an it looks like poo poo compared to the outside of the car. Bad used car choice because the interiors don't seem to hold up well at all.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

I was looking at used FX35's for my wife and the interior is awful. Basically right out of an Altima that might have bee ok brand new but any kind of use an it looks like poo poo compared to the outside of the car. Bad used car choice because the interiors don't seem to hold up well at all.

drat, I've been wondering about these for my wife. How'd you like the rest of it?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

They're ok, but not nearly worth the price they're going for imo. Probably gonna get another Crown Vic :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

blk posted:

drat, I've been wondering about these for my wife. How'd you like the rest of it?

in complete honesty, I am not impressed with any of Infiniti's product line. Its not that they are completely awful, but they aren't very good. This again falls into the Nissan 350z/G35. Its not a bad car, but it does nothing particularly well either.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

There's a reason Nissan is the only Japanese manufacturer that offers American style sales incentives.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Infiniti has potential, but boy howdy do they need to step it up before they tickle my pickle.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

leica posted:

:shrug: The durability of the interior in my dad's G37 seems fine. It'd be nice if it had more Superior German Adhesives/Soft Touch Parts, but its held up fine so far.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

neckbeard posted:

Every car I've driven since I drove an Ariel Atom.

When I got back in my car and there was no massive I realized that I'll ever drive anything with that kind of power:weight ratio again.

It won't be as visceral, but try a P90d

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Residency Evil posted:

:shrug: The durability of the interior in my dad's G37 seems fine. It'd be nice if it had more Superior German Adhesives/Soft Touch Parts, but its held up fine so far.

My father was shopping for one recently so I've sat in a bunch. The main problem is some areas of the car like the door pulls and parts of the steering wheel use dark paint over light grey plastic and it looks awful if it has started to wear off

I do like the cars overall though, they've got most of what a 3 series has without the associated BMW headaches, and are much easier (here) to find with a decent engine (even the 2.5 compares very well to most of the 3 series range)

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I need to find an FX to test drive with her, I guess. I think the original version was one of few cars they actually styled well. The interior does look like a sea of silver painted plastic, and I hate the stupid clocks, but whatever.

Also going to probably look at a ZDX this weekend. I feel it has the potential to be so bad as to wrap around to good.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

I think the most disappointing car I've ever driven was my boss' '14/15 (Not sure which) Kia Optima. I had borrowed it to drive down to San Fran for work, and, figured it'd be a comfy sedan thats also decently quick. (its the turbo model with just under 300HP - I daily drive anything from 40-165 HP normally). It had to be the absolute slowest most schizophrenic thing at accelerating ever. It had some silly "eco" mode thing which meant limit the maximum throttle to 20%, unless you bury the pedal, in which case engage 1st gear and spin wheels. It'd shift so early that youd be rolling around on city streets in what had to be the highest gear, and it'd refuse to choose a sensible gear until you hit 90% of the pedal travel. Who the gently caress thought neutering the throttle for ~fuel saving~ was the thing to do? Couldn't they accomplish the same thing by just toning down the ECU mappings?

Now, everything I own is carbed and manual everything so maybe thats it, but, never have I felt so far removed from the driving experience. Everything from the steering, to the throttle and brakes felt like a suggestion to the car. The steering felt like there was no physical connection to the wheels, the brakes had this weird exponential power application, and the throttle had no mode beyond crawl and sprint (I'm sure the non-eco mode would be more pleasant). Also, who are the bastards who keep replacing buttons for touch screens? Its one button on my car that says "Up" to change stations or 4 screens on the Kia. I don't have time for that poo poo at lights.

It was also eerily quiet :ohdear: I now fully understand why people feel so comfortable taking their eyes off the road in cars like this. I had figured a modern much more powerful car would be such a nicer experience, but, couldn't stand not feeling like I was in control of it.

On the plus side it had butt warmers. That was nice.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

e39 M5 is the most disappointing car I have driven in a long time. A few months ago el bombastico asked me to check one out, and I was dismayed at how lethargic it was and how dated the interior had become in just a few short years. Definitely highlights how far cars have come in the past decade, but even then my E55 felt head and shoulders better in all aspects. Glad I chose a new G8 GXP in '09 instead of an M5 for approximately the same money.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Human Grand Prix posted:

that's why z3 rack swaps are among the first things your typical e30 owner does. of course, after cutting the springs, muffler delete, tacking on a nurburgring sticker, and making a post to ask if racelands are any good on r3vlimited.

forgot to say, gearing also makes a big difference to how fast they "feel," and they came with 12 different possible diff ratios. the early eta's particularly suffered, being tuned more for efficient highway cruising and reduced engine wear than acceleration. the first one you drove had a 2.79 open diff with an eta motor, the worst possible combo for fun. also a reason why the e30 is probably one of the best examples of a disappointing car because the internet and childhood memories lead you to expect racecar but in reality most of them are early model eta's.

MrChips posted:

All of the F30 BMWs I've driven have been massive disappointments. Compared to the E46 and the E90, they feel too big, the interiors aren't all that nice, they don't handle all that well, the steering feel is crap and their engines, while turning out impressive performance, are uninspiring. And I hate how the coupe is now the 4-Series.

Basically they've become the BMW Camry.

the f30 failed to meet all of my expectations from a 3 series, but i just couldn't really fault it very hard as A Car when i took away the connotations and heightened standards i was holding it to. it has its shortcomings, many of which you pointed out, but i was actually pretty impressed with the 4banger and turbo. put in a pair of ear plugs and you would swear the thing's naturally aspirated. the turbos spooled really early, and seemed to stay spooled during city driving more than i would expect. i'm not normally a fan of forced induction but i thought they did a really good job making you forget the turbo's there, in a good way. disclaimer: i've only driven an automatic 328i

then i drove it back to back with the e30 a few times and it disappointed me in every other regard :( left me wanting an n20 powered e30 if anything.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 29, 2015

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

moxieman posted:

Yeah I've never found one that shifts like a sequential clutchless manual which is really what I'm expecting when I hop in an auto car with paddles

Which of the few automated single-clutch manuals out there has the feel that you're expecting?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Which of the few automated single-clutch manuals out there has the feel that you're expecting?

They put them in far too many Fiats and Alfas. Not sure why you'd want one to drive like those do though, truly the worst of both worlds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

re. the last couple pages of chat about schizophrenic transmissions:

A while back on Car Talk I heard something that really intrigued me but which I'm still not sure is even true. A woman called in to complain that she let her son borrow her car for a couple of weeks, and now the transmission had become all "wrong" -- shifting at weird times, revving higher than usual, and all that. She thought he'd blown it up. The guys suggested it could be something harmless that I'd never heard of before -- that modern automatic transmission controllers will learn your driving style to an extent, and adjust their shift points accordingly. If you regularly demand quick acceleration, the controller will start to shift later and downshift earlier; if you drive like a grandma, it will shift earlier and pick higher gears. In this woman's case, a couple of weeks was supposedly enough time for the computer to learn her son's more lead-footed driving style.

I'd never heard of this feature before. Different preset modes, sure, but I can't recall a single car ad mentioning a transmission that adapts to the driver. Is this really how it works?

As a side point -- if that is something that automatic transmissions do, it's a pretty good explanation for why every rental car transmission seems to be so terrible. Too many people driving in too many different styles.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

re. the last couple pages of chat about schizophrenic transmissions:

A while back on Car Talk I heard something that really intrigued me but which I'm still not sure is even true. A woman called in to complain that she let her son borrow her car for a couple of weeks, and now the transmission had become all "wrong" -- shifting at weird times, revving higher than usual, and all that. She thought he'd blown it up. The guys suggested it could be something harmless that I'd never heard of before -- that modern automatic transmission controllers will learn your driving style to an extent, and adjust their shift points accordingly. If you regularly demand quick acceleration, the controller will start to shift later and downshift earlier; if you drive like a grandma, it will shift earlier and pick higher gears. In this woman's case, a couple of weeks was supposedly enough time for the computer to learn her son's more lead-footed driving style.

I'd never heard of this feature before. Different preset modes, sure, but I can't recall a single car ad mentioning a transmission that adapts to the driver. Is this really how it works?

As a side point -- if that is something that automatic transmissions do, it's a pretty good explanation for why every rental car transmission seems to be so terrible. Too many people driving in too many different styles.

Yep it's a thing, my 16 year old 5 series does it, and when i bought it the first thing i did was reset the learning. The box immediately started shifting better after.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just the flogging that they get.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Mitsubishi made a huge deal of it back in the 90s https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/INVECS

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Depends. Some TCUs/PCMs do it, some don't. The year that kind of feature is introduced really depends on... everything, some cars got it in the early 90s, some didn't get it till the 2010s, some probably still don't have it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Or her son left it in 'sport' mode.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

1988 Cadillac Brougham. At the time I bought it, I didn't realize that the Olds 307 cu. in. V8 it used would be so damned limpwristed, but it was. Pushing the GO pedal produced more noise than motion, all the while gulping down then-$3.00/gal gas at a glorious rate of 9-10 miles per gallon. It made the 1990 Town Car I also had at the time feel like an absolute rocket. I couldn't even get the big Brougham boat to do a one-wheel peel no matter how hard I stomped on the accelerator. Getting rid of the plugged-up catalytic converter woke it up some, but not much.

The interior was also an ode to General Motors, circa 1977. Cheap plastichrome that flaked from the air vents. Dash plastic that threatened to crack if you so much as looked at it funny. The traditional GM headliner that falls down and needs a million thumbtacks to hold up. It didn't have the d'Elegance package, so instead of getting some nice pillow cushion seats, I wound up with standard split-bench seats made from material that was a broad approximation of what leather looked and felt like.

It was actually on my bucket list of cars I thought would be cool to own, but it just disappointed the hell out of me and soured me on owning any other Cadillac. It would have been immensely better if I had bought an earlier Fleetwood with a 368 (V8-6-4), a later Brougham with a 350 V8 or an even newer Fleetwood with the LT1.

Then there's the 2015 Kia Soul I rented early this year. Kinda sucks when you see a car that ought to at least crack 32-ish mpg, only to end up with 26 mpg after a 200+ mile trip. I also think leaving it in "Eco" mode confused the hell out of the transmission in low-speed city driving, to the point at which I had to use the manual shift feature just to get it to drive smoothly. Not a bad car otherwise, but it was still a bit disappointing.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 1, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

Then on the other end of the spectrum there's the F250 I've rented from Home Depot a few times, with its schizophrenic 6 speed auto that is exactly like Oceanlife said.

How it drives:
- in sixth loving gear by about 30mph
- ZERO acceleration due to the aforementioned octogenarian shift map
- floor it to accelerate even a little because I expected more out of a lightly loaded F250 and there's a truck bearing down on me...
- :supaburn: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH gently caress FUCKFUCK FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK WE GOTTA ACCELERATE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?! OKAAAAAAAAAAAAAY :downs: *drops into second gear and leaves a 10 foot strip of rubber behind*

I'm glad I ratchet strapped my poo poo down because it would have vaulted the tailgate easily when that happened otherwise.

Are you sure that wasn't the loaner 2015 Chrysler 200S I had a couple of weeks ago?

Except if you even glanced at the "paddle" shifters, it went into full retard mode and wouldn't shift on its own again until you popped it into "sport" and back into "drive". Or neutral. Or... well, anything. Just something to wake up the TCM and tell it "hey, you with the automatic transmission... I want you to do automatic poo poo. WAKE THE gently caress UP YOU SUICIDAL rear end in a top hat!" If you left it in sport, it just shifted at slightly higher RPMs, but again, if you so much as glanced at the paddle shifters, it would drop into 2nd and stay there, happily banging the rev limiter like the rev limiter was a porn star and its sole purpose in life was to bang away until you told it to move over so the other guys could get some sloppy fifths.

The only good thing was if you never looked at the paddle shifters, it actually shifted really nicely and managed to wring 32+ MPG city out of the 2.4 ~multiair~, and did a surprisingly decent job of getting out of its own way. It had 40 hp over my own car though, and was only about 300 lbs heavier (so half of one Texan).

Pryor on Fire posted:

I've yet to drive an automatic transmission that didn't infuriate me, they all seem schizophrenic like you complain about. Are there any good ones that don't have a bizarre mix of unexpected pointless downshifts on the slightest incline combined with overly aggressive "fuel efficiency" ideas like 6th gear at 30mph and strange delays in shifting?

But I haven't driven any automatic in a few years so I could be out of date, have they improved much?

moxieman posted:

The automatic on my 94 v6 Camry always struck me as being pretty nice as far as automatics go. Revved hard when I wanted it to, the gears ratios were well thought out (no dropping to 2nd to go up a hill on the highway with cruise control on). It's a Camry so it was still pretty pedestrian but it wasn't awful.

My mother has a 2003 Toyota Avalon, which is basically a stretched 3.0 V6 Camry. The automatic in it is shockingly nice - it's butter smooth when you're putting around town (your only indication that it's upshifted is the tach dropping a bit), has very firm (but not too firm) shifts when you stomp it, and just seems to respond very well. You stomp it, it drops down as many gears as possible without blowing up the engine, and it wrings every last horse out of that engine before it upshifts just before the tach dives into the red. Honestly one of the best automatics I've ever driven, and even with 150k on it, it still shifts like it's brand new. It'll occasionally hunt between 3rd and 4th when going uphill at highway speeds, but that's the only gripe I have about it. It goes from coffin-silent land barge to "oh I see you wish to pass someone in a hurry, no problem sir, I shall engage second gear immediately and hold second gear until my engine hits approximately 6500 RPM. Don't worry about a thing, we have it covered sir!"

fake edit: just googled, 94 V6 Camry and mom's 03 Avalon have the same A541E transmission. IMO it's a drat nice transmission.

My 91 Integra had a decent automatic as well - it was Mercedes 300TD slow, but when you stomped it, it firmed up the shifts enough that it would bark the tires going from 1st to 2nd (and into 3rd if the tires were worn a bit). It would also downshift immediately when you stomped it, whereas it seems the majority of modern automatics take at least a full second to figure out "oh, you want me to downshift? fine, I'll go down ONE GEAR, BUT NO MORE! OH gently caress YOU, YOU STILL HAVE THE THROTTLE PLANTED?! gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat, I'LL DROP DOWN ONE MORE GEAR! FUUUUUUUUUUCKS SAKE YOU'RE STILL STOMPING THE THROTTLE, gently caress YOU EVEN THOUGH YOU'VE TRIED TO PASS SOMEONE GOING 30 MPH SLOWER THAN THE REST OF TRAFFIC, TELL NUTCUP TO LAY OFF OF THE loving AIR HORN AND I MIGHT CONSIDER DROPPING DOWN ONE MORE GEAR! FINE, gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat, YOU CAN FIGURE THIS poo poo OUT ON YOUR OWN, I GOT SOME TEQUILA AND BLOW STASHED IN THE TRUNK! gently caress OFF!"

(can you tell I've had several GM rental cars?)

DarkLikePoe posted:

Though I wouldn't actually recommend it, I'll admit that the Chevy 4sp AT in the Cobalt is, at the very least, predictable. I think the frenetic shifting you find in "modern" ATs is a consequence of manufacturers trying to deliver on fuel efficiency coupled with the availability of upwards of 9 gears to mill through. That and most ATs are marketed for sheep whose priorities are probably very different from most AI goons.

The 4 speed auto in the Cobalt is EXACTLY what I'm referring in the above paragraphs - I had a rental Cobalt 1LT for a month. That drat car tried to kill me every time I changed lanes, and even when the transmission did try to downshift, it was always upshifting juuuuuuust as the engine was starting to make power.

Ironically, I now own the Saturn badged version of the same car, except with a manual transmission. With the manual, it's not bad, and the only DBW lag you run into is during shifting (and you quickly learn how to shift around the lag).

Guinness posted:

The fundamental problem with automatics vs. manuals is that automatic shifts are reactive to conditions, whereas with a manual you can proactively shift (or perhaps more often, not shift).

What you said. At least several times every time I drive my car, I'll have the upshift light angrily flashing at me, even though an upshift at that exact moment will result in the engine saying "hey rear end in a top hat, I don't like 5th gear at 1100 RPM" and trying to shake my remaining teeth out.
I tried a few weeks of shifting when the upshift light came on, and my MPG dropped down to about 15-18 (with lots of highway driving). If I shift when I feel like it, I average anywhere from 22-32 (22 is if it's all rush hour and I have the a/c on, last tank was a little over 28 with the a/c on for much of the tank). I also consistently get random misfire and catalyst efficiency below threshold codes when I actually pay attention to the upshift light.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 11, 2015

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Then there's the 2015 Kia Soul I rented early this year. Kinda sucks when you see a car that ought to at least crack 32-ish mpg, only to end up with 26 mpg after a 200+ mile trip. I also think leaving it in "Eco" mode confused the hell out of the transmission in low-speed city driving, to the point at which I had to use the manual shift feature just to get it to drive smoothly. Not a bad car otherwise, but it was still a bit disappointing.

Yeah, my mom turned off the Eco mode in her Sportage to get rid of the annoying light on the panel, and coincidentally gets better mileage with it off.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah, my mom turned off the Eco mode in her Sportage to get rid of the annoying light on the panel, and coincidentally gets better mileage with it off.

"Eco" mode is probably just "EPA test" mode; it's probably not calibrated for real life at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

some texas redneck posted:

Are you sure that wasn't the loaner 2015 Chrysler 200S I had a couple of weeks ago?

Except if you even glanced at the "paddle" shifters, it went into full retard mode and wouldn't shift on its own again until you popped it into "sport" and back into "drive". Or neutral. Or... well, anything. Just something to wake up the TCM and tell it "hey, you with the automatic transmission... I want you to do automatic poo poo. WAKE THE gently caress UP YOU SUICIDAL rear end in a top hat!" If you left it in sport, it just shifted at slightly higher RPMs, but again, if you so much as glanced at the paddle shifters, it would drop into 2nd and stay there, happily banging the rev limiter like the rev limiter was a porn star and its sole purpose in life was to bang away until you told it to move over so the other guys could get some sloppy fifths.

The only good thing was if you never looked at the paddle shifters, it actually shifted really nicely and managed to wring 32+ MPG city out of the 2.4 ~multiair~, and did a surprisingly decent job of getting out of its own way. It had 40 hp over my own car though, and was only about 300 lbs heavier (so half of one Texan).

So you're angry because the trans stays in manual model if you shift it to manual mode until you shift it out of manual mode? Not shifting at the redline is what people actually want in a tiptronic transmission.

• Locked thread