Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Much as I am overjoyed to see you guys run an entire Ace Combat megathread, I have to agree that Zero is the most complex one to start on because of the Ace Style mechanic. Much as I love this game to death, it is definitely the hardest to LP.

On the plus side, it does have one of the best (if not the best) soundtracks in the series, so there is that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Rorahusky posted:

Also, no, there were no fans of Electrosphere, because the English release was a horrifically gutted piece of trash with most of it's story and content removed, because whoever brought it over thought that English audiences were dumb and wouldn't get it.

The story I heard was that the Japanese fanbase (apparently) hated Electrosphere when it came out, so the devs thought it would be better to gut it for the American release, and then the American fans hated the gutted version.

There has been an English translation for emulations of the much better Japanese version of Electrosphere (or at least half of it) that came out not too long ago, though. Having seen a playthrough of it, I can say that it was much better before it came stateside.

I'd also be willing to do commentary if you're interested, Crow-I've played every single title on the list of games to be LP'd far too many times for my own good. I regret nothing

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, quick thread question: A lot of you have expressed the opinion that commentary, no matter how well done, detracts from the overall experience of an Ace Combat LP, so would anyone be interested in me posting "silent" versions of each mission with the hanger/replay stuff cut out alongside the commentary versions?

Yes. Commentary is all well and good, but there are plenty of scenes in the series that should be experienced without anyone talking over them.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

ElTipejoLoco posted:

I don't think there's a problem with continuing to commentate over the videos. The dog-fights come with subtitles (at the top of the screen, so it might be hard to parse for most people who are used to them being at the bottom), and you can always just link to the music tracks in a post. Those should be enough, right?

Mostly.

To clarify my earlier point, while I usually agree that there isn't too much exciting going on outside of the gameplay for most levels, there are times where I personally feel the general atmosphere created by a level would be ruined by commentary. In this game alone, I would say that 3 or more accurately 2.5 missions (for those who played this game: Inferno, the tail end of Stage, Zero) do such a good job of setting the tone that it would be a tragedy to not see them as they were meant to be played.

But for the most part, simply linking the music used in each mission would be good enough; I'll be the first to admit that Ace Combat in general is a lot more fun to actually play than it is to watch.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Well, I agree with you. There's a lot of subtle actions and visual cues in the live-action cutscenes that really aren't replicated in any other game in the series. It's part of what makes this game really unique.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Crow, you have a track mislabeled: the 9th track is Juggernaut.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Brunom1 posted:

Excuse you. The Apache is obviously the ultimate offensive weapon of any kind, being capable of superior offensive power and maneuverability via, respectively, air jousting and its endlessly firing chaingun, high speed barrel rolls and nigh-perfect loops (while strafing!).

Assault Horizon is 100% legit:

To be honest any time you fly an attacker in an Ace Combat game, some of the processes are very similar:

Do you have bombs? Do you have targets to be bombed? Drop your payload anywhere and don't worry about collateral damage if you carpet-bomb a city; only the bad guys get hurt by the gigantic explosions covering multiple city blocks.

This does not apply to any plane who is not you; they naturally cause massive massive collateral damage and civilian casualties as opposed to your economic smart-explosion bombs.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 3, 2016

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Kal-L posted:

It just came to me, but wouldn't a more appropiate translation be "The black knight"? Black knights have been portrayed as more blood-thirsty, less chivalrous people, which seems like a good fit for Cypher.

That is a more appropriate translation, sure, but the fact of the matter is that "The Demon Lord of the Round Table" sounds way more badass.

And really, isn't that what matters in the end?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Do you plan on showing off the Gauntlet, Crow? That might be worth bringing up (and it'd be the best place to show off the bonus planes).

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Kadorhal posted:

I'll also note, now that Ouroboros has been namedropped, I can make reference to their involvement in the export version: they're the ones the weapons facility in ECM belong to.

I think this sentence alone captures the essence of the export version.

When you can describe the involvement of what is supposed to be the main villain faction in one short sentence as opposed to the decently-sized paragraph Lune wrote up, you know that there's been waaaay too much cut out of a game.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

That happened to me too! Although I think it was Chopper's wing I clipped instead.

Thank god for that, I've always been worried that I was the only one who did something like that :sweatdrop:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

Basically, remember what was mentioned about problems with remote piloting? Nemo's got some weird poo poo going on, that's for sure.

And does anyone know the specific track used in that mission? I kind of want to listen to it separately for mood.

I'm not sure that track in particular ended up on the OST-I checked out of curiosity, but I wasn't able to find anything.

I do know that there are other tracks in the OST that have a similar style and oppressive feeling, though.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Has there been something as hard to kill as the Night Raven anywhere else in any AC game? I can't think of one.

If you're talking individual fighters, the Morgan and AC6's superfighter are probably the closest matches for it. Maybe X's superfighter too. Maybe.

But even then it seems like the Night Raven can take and dish out more punishment than any of those 3.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Thefluffy posted:

man all the other ace combat's stories are just so BLAND compared to 3, no wonder they resorted to courting the call of duty audience with rear end horizon. :(

Now that I've seen Electrosphere in action, I can say that it was a wonderful, unique style of game-but they could only make it once.

It was dark, futuristic, and very strange-the kind of game you can really only make once because it's so out there in comparison to everything else.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

wait what

Oh god drat it crow :argh:

Crow overrode the track from AC6 that was playing, didn't he? :v:

Although to be fair, if there was anytime to start playing that song, that was it. It is Macross as gently caress and I love it so much for that.

Also goddamn is that custom F-22 awesomely terrifying. It definitely says volumes about it that you get 30,000 points for shooting it down.

Also, congrats on wrapping up Zero, Crow!

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 19, 2016

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Change "Cipher's" to "Belka's" and keep it updated through all the games.

Doooooo ittttt...

Or at least make a list of how Belka's "gifts" to the realm of implausible superweapons keep loving up the world. Either/or.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Quick question: How much Ace Combat/arcade flight sims has Blind Sally played? Because that difference is just unfair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

YeOldeButchere posted:

Belka did everything wrong.

FTFY

• Locked thread