Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
This looks interesting. I will almost certainly be bad at it. That's never stopped me before.

Sigh me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sweet, I have a shovel.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

oh hey, you guys may want to post contact information if you have a preferred means of private communication, whether that's skype or gchat or written correspondance. private communication is allowed and encouraged.

This is a good idea. I have PMs. If you don't have PMs and you want to talk to me privately then you're a sad sack of crap but I can be reached at divinecoffeebinge at gmail if I ever remember to check my email, which I often don't.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I look forward to the part where my credulity and naivete is inevitably taken advantage of, leading to my untimely death.

This is a really neat design decision, I think; the natural tendency of players is to form up in a power bloc but once they do the power bloc becomes the only remaining players, so they have to turn on one another. Interesting play, that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Everyone is jerks.

The jerk who wins the first set of gold bricks is gonna be Target Number One for the next several games, though, so I wouldn't sweat it too much if it's not you.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Such hostility! I am amazed.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Meinberg posted:

Oh hey, I'm still alive somehow!

Why wouldn't you be? You made a compelling case.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Whooo I'm rich, baby! Also, not dead.

...also, everyone's prime target for some time now.

...welp.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Since having bricks is going to necessitate a rather dramatic shift in strategy, I'm betting, I figure there's no harm in talking about my Game One strategy, since it no longer really applies.

I had two main principles in action:
1) Vote Early. As soon as a round starts, pick a name at random and get that vote in. I'd rather be eliminated for guessing wrong and not being in the majority than for waiting too long to finish wheeling and dealing.
2) Whoever Asks First gets my help. Ironically, both of the first two rounds the person I selected at random to vote for was the person who contacted me and said "Hey let's vote for this dude;" both times I listened. I knew there was a chance that someone'd be running a bluff and trying to get me to vote with a minority or something, but I figured the odds of that happening Game One were pretty low. When neither Meinberg nor Rarity contacted me for Round Three, I figured better safe than sorry and played the Ambush (actually I played the Ambush early, figuring I'd play the odds, but neither of them dropped me a line to convince me to change it).

That was basically it. I'd love to be able to claim a Machiavellian genius about how you were all puppets dancing to my tune, but nope; I sorta fell rear end backwards into success. So that was kinda cool.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Never not vote. You can change your vote later if you have to. Never not vote.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Aww, CirclMastr, I'm hurt. Or I would be if you weren't dead. Or something. Anyways, point is, that was mean.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

:ghost: Well-played, sir! I knew I should've talked to you a bit more but I haven't lied to anyone yet and didn't think the risk/reward was high enough to do it now. :ghost:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

People who want to plot via PMs really ought to clean out their PM inbox.

Especially the one who already dropped me a note for this round.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Awww, uranus. Of all the people who decided to kill me you were the only one who had the balls to say "Hey let's be pals and work together" right to my face. You could have just ignored me entirely like Kushino did.

Thus, I select uranus for elimination.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Clearly you should just kill everyone that didn't vote and then give me the gold because I voted

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Wow, Meinberg, that backstabbing really paid off for you there, didn't it? :allears:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Oh right. Oops.

Well, my planned vote woulda gotten me killed anyways, so c'est la vie.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

*sound of head hitting desk*

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Somberbrero, can we get a brick count? I'm forgetting who has how many bricks.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Meinberg posted:

That's the thing with this game, if there's relatively few people left in the game and nobody's talking to you, odds are good that you're the target. The only way to get people out without the risk of a ambush is via backstabbing, which diminishes your credibility in later rounds.

For what it's worth, my plan for the move I didn't get in under the deadline was in fact to play Ambush, since no one was talking to me, either. That's why I said it would have killed me anyways, since I wasn't the target and my cowardice would have led to my demise.

How this factors into later strategic considerations might be interesting.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

So, so much hostility. It's enough to give a guy a complex.

Anyways, let's kill Meinberg.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

uranus posted:

vote for me so i can ambush and kill coffe mann

This is a good plan.

Unless it's a bad plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011