Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this retard took his $33k and turned it into -$106k by placing a short with no limits on a $2 stock which then shot up 800+% today

he's started a gofundme page and already has $5k and is hiring a lawyer to try and get out of paying E*trade

just lmao he's hosed

quote:

I was holding KBIO short overnight for what I thought was a nice $2.00 fade coming. At the close of the bell I saw the quote montage clear out and figured today there was no action after hours in the stock. So I went to my office for a long meeting. I got out of the meeting and saw a message from one of my buddys, he asked if I was ok since I was short KBIO....my heart dropped. "Shoot did I blow up my account, everything I worked for? I don't want to lose all $37,000 that would be terrible." ---It was much worse.

The stock was at $16 and my account was negative over 100k. I figured it was a mistake, Etrade would never let that happen, they must have cut the position when my account got to $0....nope. I immediately called them and they confirmed I still owned all the shares. He says that it got out of hand too fast for them to cover me, he says that all he can do right now is cover. I was devistated. I asked him to cover at $16 and he waited trying to find me a good exit. I told him to do it asap and the fill was around $18.50 avg.

At the moment not only is my $37k gone, but I now owe ETrade the negative balance of over $106k. I always knew I could blow up an account and I was financially able to "afford" to lose the $37k. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that Etrade would NOT have some sort of stop or circuit breaker in place that would automatically cut a position if the account went to $0.....how could they ever let it get to -$144k loss on a account that small!

don't trade on margin and do idiot poo poo like that, ladies and gentlemen.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
It takes me like 5 years to make 37k

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DT7bX-B1Mg&t=19s

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Lol :shrug: short selling is immoral

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

play with the bull

you get bit in the balls

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Thanks OP, this warms the cockles of my heart.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Lol :shrug: short selling is immoral

Nah, it's actually p cool and good. Naked shorts are immoral, though, as are jean shorts.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
what a dumb fag

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i dont get it

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
piss on the banks and on the capitals

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

good gently caress him

and lol gj getting lawyer you can piss that money away too dumb gently caress

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Orkin Mang posted:

i dont get it

a dude is suddenly 140k in debt because he forgot to not be dumb

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
that stupid piece of poo poo should read about the causes of the great depression. im 17 and i just read that in my textbook. margin calls and stupid speculation poo poo like that is what ruined our economy. plus our congress was a stupid piece of poo poo and made some kind of overbearing central bank or whatever that could make interest rates. those motherfuckers were literally retarded and im amazed anyone is still alive after that stupid loving bullshit. gently caress you OP! burn in hell!!!!1

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

i dont get it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

dad gay. so what posted:

that stupid piece of poo poo should read about the causes of the great depression. im 17 and i just read that in my textbook. margin calls and stupid speculation poo poo like that is what ruined our economy. plus our congress was a stupid piece of poo poo and made some kind of overbearing central bank or whatever that could make interest rates. those motherfuckers were literally retarded and im amazed anyone is still alive after that stupid loving bullshit. gently caress you OP! burn in hell!!!!1

ay papi talk dirty to me

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
stocks, huh. pretty hosed up if you ask me.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

what do you mean if i take a massive risk and it fails im accountable for it???!!!!! whhaaaaaaaaa

thanks obama

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

dad gay. so what posted:

what a dumb fag

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Good. gently caress capitalism.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

He is clearly not a True Believer in the Free Market, otherwise he wouldn't be asking for what sounds suspiciously like regulation and controls on trading.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

He is clearly not a True Believer in the Free Market, otherwise he wouldn't be asking for what sounds suspiciously like regulation and controls on trading.

:smug:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
also gently caress you rear end in a top hat

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Actually, I had a really good day, OP. But thanks for sharing this thing. It's unfortunate for that guy, but pretty funny how it happened.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
No I didn't think I had a bad day but thanks for asking.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Orkin Mang posted:

i dont get it

sell "short" means you are selling a stock that you do not currently possess. in the hopes that the stock price will drop by the time you actually have to fork over the stock you sold, which can be like 3 days or longer depending on how you do it. its basically seen as a lovely thing to do because your hoping poo poo fails .

apparently this idiot did it on a large margin and now he's totally hosed. not a chance in hell he gets out of it unless he goes bankrupt

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
so he traded on a margin. interesting, though i have no clue what that means.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

dad gay. so what posted:

what a dumb fag

YOU ARE CRUISIN' FOR A BRUISIN' MISTER!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
capitalism is cancer to humanity and the stock market is one of the few things im actually glad to be ignorant of, i understand none of those words, and i will not learn them

i do not believe in banks and i have not written out a map of where i bury my money

Aug 4, 2010

quote:

I was financially able to "afford" to lose the $37k.

im glad

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poopzilla posted:

sell "short" means you are selling a stock that you do not currently possess. in the hopes that the stock price will drop by the time you actually have to fork over the stock you sold, which can be like 3 days or longer depending on how you do it. its basically seen as a lovely thing to do because your hoping poo poo fails .

apparently this idiot did it on a large margin and now he's totally hosed. not a chance in hell he gets out of it unless he goes bankrupt

how can a man sell that which he does not own?? it makes no loving sense. im starting to believe this didnt happen. u use these words but its like ur just making them up. u string them together like they make sense but its as if ur full of poo poo.

NotSockAccount
Nov 18, 2015

by Lowtax
Welp, time jump out of a tall building and onto a 50 car pile up surround by swarms of cats.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
apperently some dumb fag found out what something means because some stupid shithead explained it to him at the "office" and everyone laughed about it so this piece of poo poo decided to make a thread about it like he was the smart "Alpha" guy from the office but actually he is a pathetic waste of space who doesnt know poo poo about anything.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

LadyAmbien posted:

:wth:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
im happy, i think

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Orkin Mang posted:

how can a man sell that which he does not own?? it makes no loving sense. im starting to believe this didnt happen. u use these words but its like ur just making them up. u string them together like they make sense but its as if ur full of poo poo.

the world doesnt make sense friend

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

i dont get it

He shorted the stock, meaning he bet that the stock price would go down (I can explain the mechanics of how this is done in more detail if you want). Unfortunately for him, the share price didn't go down and instead went from $2 to $10.40, a 400% gain.

This is dumb as gently caress for several reasons.

Shorting a share price of $2 means the maximum you could possibly get from your trade is $2 a share (because it can't drop past $0 obviously) - but it can go up an unlimited amount (theoretically). So by shorting this penny stock he's taking a massive risk in order to make a small amount of profit. It's stupid to short a penny stock.

Margin accounts let you borrow up to 50% of the equity in your account from your broker to use for trading - IE if I have $20k in my account I can buy $30k worth of stock.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

LadyAmbien posted:

Do you think we could change the name of The Book Barn to Boko Hurrah?

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

dad gay. so what posted:

what a dumb fag

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oh what the gently caress

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001
so is ladyambien our new mod cuz that seems pretty lame if you ask me.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

poopzilla posted:

oh what the gently caress

Quick poll: Is anyone actually surprised at this point that they're going to get probated for using the word fag in a derogatory way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
lol. what an idiot.

as if he or she was unaware of the risk - u win or lose.

• Locked thread