Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Lowtax posted:

Quick poll: Is anyone actually surprised at this point that they're going to get probated for using the word fag in a derogatory way?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lowtax posted:

Quick poll: Is anyone actually surprised at this point that they're going to get probated for using the word fag in a derogatory way?

No.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

poopzilla posted:

sell "short" means you are selling a stock that you do not currently possess. in the hopes that the stock price will drop by the time you actually have to fork over the stock you sold, which can be like 3 days or longer depending on how you do it. its basically seen as a lovely thing to do because your hoping poo poo fails .

apparently this idiot did it on a large margin and now he's totally hosed. not a chance in hell he gets out of it unless he goes bankrupt

Thanks!

gently caress him

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

brizna posted:

so is ladyambien our new mod cuz that seems pretty lame if you ask me.

Oh my god, no. I would go crazy with power.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Guy got fisted by the invisible hand of the free market

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
well a lot of people died today.

but they only lost the money they had. or they discharged their debt for good. so i guess this guy is worse off after all.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

gently caress you lowtax you human being friend of the family

adios dead homosexual forum

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Lowtax posted:

No.

Also I understand what happened with this guy but don't understand how this guy is out over 100k if

Moridin920 posted:

Margin accounts let you borrow up to 50% of the equity in your account from your broker to use for trading - IE if I have $20k in my account I can buy $30k worth of stock.

and he only had $37k worth of value in his account? Wouldn't he max out at $74k?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
does low tax have to pay to change he own av?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
cant he just go to the whitehouse and show the president his wallet turned inside out then be pardoned?? maybe do it on thanksgiving when he pardons a turkey???

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

Nope.

In fact I've stopped using the word 'fag' and 'human being' in real life so thanks actually.

Orkin Mang posted:

so he traded on a margin. interesting, though i have no clue what that means.

He borrowed money. It's like taking a personal loan from the bank and then putting it all on red and losing, essentially.

poopzilla posted:

sell "short" means you are selling a stock that you do not currently possess. in the hopes that the stock price will drop by the time you actually have to fork over the stock you sold, which can be like 3 days or longer depending on how you do it. its basically seen as a lovely thing to do because your hoping poo poo fails .

apparently this idiot did it on a large margin and now he's totally hosed. not a chance in hell he gets out of it unless he goes bankrupt

You can also (I think this is more common but could be wrong) borrow the shares - usually from your broker - and sell them immediately. Then you buy them back at a later date to cover your short.

It's seen as a lovely thing to do because 'you're hoping poo poo fails' but in reality you're not doing anything other than buying/selling shares and creating volume/liquidity that is necessary for the market to function in the first place. If there's no one selling, you can't buy; and vice versa.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

poopzilla posted:

It's a 6 hour probation dude. Chill.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Roger Craig posted:

Also I understand what happened with this guy but don't understand how this guy is out over 100k if

and he only had $37k worth of value in his account? Wouldn't he max out at $74k?

Wait I figured it out nevermind

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

You can also (I think this is more common but could be wrong) borrow the shares - usually from your broker - and sell them immediately. Then you buy them back at a later date to cover your short.

It's seen as a lovely thing to do because 'you're hoping poo poo fails' but in reality you're not doing anything other than buying/selling shares and creating volume/liquidity that is necessary for the market to function in the first place. If there's no one selling, you can't buy; and vice versa.

yes thats usually how you do it, i wasnt super clear

well cya

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

poopzilla posted:

:captainpop:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Roger Craig posted:

No.

Nah so it goes like this:

You have $500. You borrow 100 shares of X stock at $5/each (this is just represented by an open short position usually but mechanically that is how it functions - lender won't loan you more stock equity than you have cash for obvious reasons). If the price goes down, great, you can buy 100 shares at market price and return them to the lender. But, if the price goes up, say to $20 a share, now you have to shell out $2k to cover your short and give 100 shares back to whoever loaned them to you.

He'd be able to borrow up to about $55k worth of stock equity but I suspect he didn't do that in this case or he'd owe considerably more than $105k. According to his GoFundMe he got covered eventually at $18.50 - assuming I'm not dumb/high and my math is right that means if he lost a total of $144k on this one trade as he says then he had just under 7800 shares. So his short initially was $15k.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 20, 2015

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Nah so it goes like this:

You have $500. You borrow 100 shares of X stock at $5/each (this is just represented by an open short position usually but mechanically that is how it functions - lender won't loan you more stock equity than you have cash for obvious reasons). If the price goes down, great, you can buy 100 shares at market price and return them to the lender. But, if the price goes up, say to $20 a share, now you have to shell out $2k to cover your short and give 100 shares back to whoever loaned them to you.

He'd be able to borrow up to about $55k worth of stock equity but I suspect he didn't do that in this case or he'd owe considerably more than $105k.

Thanks for explaining. drat wall street really is just smoke and mirrors (and broken dreams).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Does Etrade make you click through margin disclosures before it lets you place margin trades (which short sales are by necessity)? Because lol if this guy clicked through a bunch of warnings in his hurry to turn his life savings into 100k of debt.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Lowtax posted:

Dad always means things in a lighthearted way, I think.

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

LadyAmbien posted:

Oh my god, no. I would go crazy with power.

seems like you already have, no? look within.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gabriel Pope posted:

Does Etrade make you click through margin disclosures before it lets you place margin trades (which short sales are by necessity)? Because lol if this guy clicked through a bunch of warnings in his hurry to turn his life savings into 100k of debt.

Yeah. They even have a bullet point that says 'margin trading can result in a below $0 account balance' and it is the only warning out of the 5 that is bolded.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Lowtax posted:

Fag was a compliment in that context

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Lowtax posted:

Can you ban for this instead tia

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
what the hell is a "fade", why do people trade on technicals

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I object your honor, those disclosures I signed that said I knew what I was doing and accepted the consequences were like, super boring

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Lowtax posted:

Yes but also more surprised that Lowtax is moderating again

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
oooooh i see, he was in at $2 and planning to ride it down to pennies. welp sorry chump

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

oooooh i see, he was in at $2 and planning to ride it down to pennies. welp sorry chump

Seems like a good idea

for me to poop on

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah. They even have a bullet point that says 'margin trading can result in a below $0 account balance' and it is the only warning out of the 5 that is bolded.
Here is etrade's Margin upgrade application with all the gory details:

https://content.etrade.com/etrade/customer/invest/Margin_Option.pdf

Having a lawyer won't help since the the application states the customer agrees the account is, "governed by a pre-dispute arbitration clause". So this will probably go to arbitration first, and they will probably find in favor of etrade.

If etrade is nice they'll set up a payment plan. But I wouldn't wipe his obligation clean, because the guy would probably become emboldened and make the same mistake again.

Buying puts is safer than shorting, but this particular company appeared to have no puts traded, so he should have avoided it.

FYI, the guy that destroyed this short-seller, and probably several hundred others much larger, was Martin Shkreli, the big, bad Turing Pharmaceuticals CEO that your next President, Hillary Rodham Clinton, criticized publicly a few weeks back about raising the price of an old drug for a rare disease from $13.50 a pill to $750 a pill.

Why this short-seller and many others got eviscerated:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-19/kalobios-surges-seven-fold-after-investment-from-martin-shkreli?cmpid=yhoo.headline

Background on the big bad Pharma CEO named Shkreli:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/arleneweintraub/2015/09/21/clinton-blasts-shkreli-for-price-gouging-on-drug-he-doesnt-blink/

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

so who gets the 100k that he owes? the etrade company?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
etrade would get the interest and trading fees, the share price goes to someone who was holding the stock and is now looking to cash out

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

by Grabthar's hammer

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
Isn't it more funny that if he actually bought $37k of the shares, he would be +$250k ?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
you thought you had a bad dad gay?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
In the U.S., short selling falls under the regulatory authority of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, or SEC. While temporary bans on short selling financial stocks on so-called "downticks" have been implemented in the U.S., a years-long quantitative analysis on such actions finally led to a repeal of anti-short selling regulation in 2007.

and we all know what happened in 2008

what i dont get is why there isn't as this guy said (even though he was warned) a circuit breaker to immediately sell the stocks should the price increase past whatever amount he bought them for (so if he bought it at 2, if it went over 2 right) automatically to end up with a 0 balance. or is it some mechanism to punish this kind of speculation that the market allows for

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
wow probe for the word fag get the gently caress outta here

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Relin posted:

what i dont get is why there isn't as this guy said (even though he was warned) a circuit breaker to immediately sell the stocks should the price increase past whatever amount he bought them for (so if he bought it at 2, if it went over 2 right) automatically to end up with a 0 balance.

that would kinda encourage everyone to short everything

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gargle chome posted:

wow probe for the word fag get the gently caress outta here

It's actually good because if that's the best insult you can come up with you deserve a probation

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Anybody who attempts to do anything with stocks other than buy low, hold, and then sell high is an rear end in a top hat; and I'm glad this happened to him. The stock market sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Guy sounds like an idiot, got what was coming.

Eat the rich

• Locked thread