Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Were 1 and 3 the only good ones.

2 and 4 took themselves wayyy too seriously.
2 had some good moments here and there but it really missed the cliche that makes starship troopers starship troopers.

Don't even get me started on 4 it was all anime bullshit. What the hell is that even? Weird lookin CGI people n poo poo nobody cares about? Cmon sons! What is it with studio 6 and their inability to keep starship troopers good? It seems every even numbered movie has to be rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

th e book is good because they're fighting in these badass space marine suits and shoot tiny nukes at random aliens and not just some bugs

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
#2 was hot garbage. But it did give the great line of "I'm gonna shove this up your buster-brown!"

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
are the other 3 starship trooper movies also directed by paul verhoeven and also adapted from r. heinlein novels?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The third one was terrible. My friends and I made a drinking game out of it: drink every time the movie sucks.
We died of alcohol poisoning after 30 minutes.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I would like to know more.

Which one had the ending of the older guy dying while fighting?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The redhead in the first movie was smokin'.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
there are no good starship troopers movies

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

there's more than one?

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
They need to make another one, but it needs to have Neil Patrick Harris, Denise Richards and Casper Van Dien.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The 2nd movie had someone in it that looked like Heinrich Himmler, and I don't know if that was deliberate or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThrVQKl04Ak

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The book was better :rolleyes:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

this thread reminded me of the time i saw it in the theater with my friend doug when i was 13 and i got to see some bangin titties on the big screen for the first time and boy oh boy i've never been the same

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I still don't get all the love for the sub-par titties of the first.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

there's more than one?

same

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Wicker Man posted:

same

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The book was better :rolleyes:

your kidding rite

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

wiffle ball bat posted:

your kidding rite

Yes

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

dammt

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
can you defend it anyway, just to entertain me? please?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

wiffle ball bat posted:

Fascism is cool and good

rye on white
May 5, 2013
i didnt read any of this but has anyone made a starship pooper joke yet. can i be the first

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

the book is legit good if you accept the whole war justification and dumb-rear end morals as in-universe logic and not as the authors voice.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

wiffle ball bat posted:

I never read the book, I just know from goons that it's pretty much the same as the film except not tongue-in-cheek.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Wicker Man posted:

i had seen very few titties up to that point and it was my first time seeing them on the big screen

now it's all about nostalgia but still

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i enjoyed the tities but liked the violence more

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What the first one wasn't good enough, they gotta make 3 more? :shrug:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i also played star ship troopers the pinball game. it was ok

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

i enjoyed the tities but liked the violence more

I liked the subversion satire of fascism and worship of the military

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

The book is very boring. There are two action sequences. In the first chapter, and in the last chapter. The rest of the book is spent on political education. The writing is that of a boring memoir. Now space marine tactics and equipment is pretty detailed and interesting.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

the first ones the only good one the other 2 are sub-SyFy garbage but hey you get to see some titties and pubes so thats nice

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

You have a wrong opinion sir.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

White Phosphorus posted:

The book is very boring. There are two action sequences. In the first chapter, and in the last chapter. The rest of the book is spent on political education. The writing is that of a boring memoir. Now space marine tactics and equipment is pretty detailed and interesting.

I loved how Verhoeven admitted he never finished the book and gave up after a few chapters.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I wasn't going to give it a chance because I thought it was just going to be dumb stoner humor, but a gal put it on when I went to her place for pasta, and it was actually pretty good. My favorite gags were the "meow game" and "shenanigans."

Kind of weird that the guy who played Hannibal Lector in Manhunter was the chief.

I didn't realize there were so many of them already though, I thought it was a big deal that there was going to be just the one sequel coming out?!

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
There was more than one? What the gently caress.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

White Phosphorus posted:

first chapter is pretty good

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Wicker Man posted:

I was watching it with a friend once a few years ago and we were like "drat those are some sad titties".

He came out as gay like 6 months later though so I'm not sure what that means.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

th e book is good because they're fighting in these badass space marine suits and shoot tiny nukes at random aliens and not just some bugs

this would be the only way to fix the middle east

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Parts of the book are great, but imo Joe Haldeman's The Forever War is a million times better. Also what the gently caress, there are four Forever War books :confused:

• Locked thread