Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

darnon posted:

Other than a few beanpoles to prove the point the casting for belters seems a little lazy. Amos and Holden are frequently some of the tallest dudes in a scene and in particular Naomi is half a head shorter than the two earthers.

On the other hand, Naomi looks perfect otherwise.

They've said there's no way they can make the Belters all tall and weird looking from zero-gee exposure as they are in the books, so they've expanded them out into a wider culture. Like, Belters are supposed to be something like seven-feet tall, stick thin and with weird shaped heads. No way you could do that on a TV budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Amos is described as having a baby face too, though, as well as looking generally amiable. I think Chatham is perfect.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I hope they do not cut Cibola Burn and in fact I hope they adapt it in an excruciatingly close to the text manner.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Finished the first book... it was falling apart at the end and I'm not sure how excited I am about the show or starting Caliban's War now...

Plot wise, writing wise, it became a give-no-poo poo-just-get-it-done Stephen King story

Caliban's War was, until the release of Nemesis Games, generally seen as the best of the series. What was it that you found disappointing about the ending of LW?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Season 3 episode "Exodus Part 2" is the end of the show being consistently good, and it's a fine series finale of sorts. There are superb episodes after that but no real consistency.

Yeah, this is basically what I was about to say. There are still some episodes in Season 3 that are really good and, in all honesty, I'd recommend watching the whole season. It's Season 4 that really begins to nosedive. Season 3, though, is when the cracks begin to show.

Paradoxish posted:

It's been ages since I've watched any BSG, but I'm pretty sure Galactica was actually shooting at Basestars in any given fight too. The flak was just its own separate thing for point defense. Nevermind the idea that flak is a pretty horrifying concept for space warfare. :xd:

I'd recommend watching "Collaborators" (the episode immediately following the "Exodus" two-parter) at the very least, since it's kind of an epilogue to the previous arc.

But yeah, the show goes off the rails in the worst possible way. Honestly, I think it stopped being consistently good sometime after the whole Pegasus arc in season 2, in part because there's just so much filler in the back half of that season.

Nah. Season 2 has some weird episodes that suffer from an over use of disjointed time sequencing or weird retcons (Lee in Black Market) but the individual episodes are still really cool.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

CowboyKid posted:

If you're not going to make all Belters tall and thin, then don't make any tall and thin.

This guy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Episode 2 seemed to basically be setting up how this series is going to view space travel - it kind of sucks, there's danger at every turn, oxygen is limited - which might be a good thing because even I wonder if the 'hard' sci-fi aspect of the show might alienate viewers who go into the show thinking it's more of a conventional series.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

KatWithHands posted:

Check the filenames bruh

edit: whoops, dogpile. that'll learn me to refresh.

So I've been reading a couple reviews where people are dropping the entire show right from the beginning because they whitewashed Ade, and that kinda got me thinking. I wonder if it was kind of a 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' type deal, because either they cast her with a white actress and piss people off about whitewashing, or piss people off by showing another example of 'WOC love interest to the white lead only to immediately die for his manpain'. You can't please everybody, but I can't see them getting out of that one unscathed from the internet no matter which way they spun it.

That's a good point. The authors said they cast who they cast because she had the best chemistry with Holden's actor. Would it be cool if Ade was how she was in the books? Hell yeah. But this series already has a bunch of hoops to jump through and, let's be honest, the ethnicity of a character who is barely mentioned in the first book and I think never in any later ones is just nothing to worry about. Especially when the rest of the show seems good about showing different races and ages and such.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Grimwall posted:

Btw, I am warming up to Amos more and more. You get these subtle glimpses of something missing from his interactions. It's not as I imagined in the books but still works here, so kudos to the actor.

Amos is an interesting character and I'm really digging Chatham's interpretation of him. I think people who don't like his take on Amos have some combination of not having read the novels closely, or read The Churn short novel. or know much about the actor.

(General Amos backstory spoilers for the books and stuff from first four episodes)The thing about Amos, is I think everyone pictures him as an older, craggier sort. I definitely saw him as someone like Ron Perlman when I first read the books. I also initially found The Churn novella to be one hell of a shock because of how differently and how clearly it lays out Amos - he was still basically a kid when he left Earth and it can't have been that long between then and the time of Leviathan Wakes. Chatham has nailed a perfect flat sociopathic affect that fits Amos to a tee. He's also 37 which seems like the perfect age and he has the definite baby face that a lot of people comment on Amos having. Amos isn't a scary dude as far as his appearance goes. He's scary because he's unsettling, he's scary because he will kill you if he thinks you're a threat and will go from 'generally amiable' to 'murderous' without blinking, complaining or commenting on it. I think Chatham has nailed that from Amos casually saying how he doesn't understand why he shouldn't just throw Holden off the side of the shuttle beyond that Noemi wouldn't like it, to looking more than ready to shoot Holden if Noemi would just tell him to later in the episode, and so on. He's an attack dog who leashes himself to Noemi out of seeing her as a kindred spirit and then to Holden out of respect for his integrity (but even then, probably has more out and out loyalty to Noemi than Holden). But he's also absolutely fantastic with kids and isn't a dumb brute.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Book 3 and 4 are fine. I started with Book 3 and fell in love with the series. When people say they're bad, they're just not as all-round excellent as books one and two. Three suffers from going from the final book in the series to three of six and four felt like an experiment that didn't quite achieve what they wanted - but it's still good.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I mean poo poo read them and make up your own mind as to their quality instead of letting hyperbolic internet nerds dictate what you should like

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The casting is pretty much perfect and people who think otherwise just, I don't know, didn't read the books closely enough?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

CowboyKid posted:

He looks like Turtle from Entourage. Not intimidating at all.

Amos isn't intimidating, though - not until he gets violent. And he is alway described as amiable and baby-faced.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

etalian posted:

I liked the oh poo poo moment before the fight in which the odds went from 1:1 to vs 6 ships.

I don't think that was the moment that caused the most concern. I think it was when they were packing railguns.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

HardKase posted:

Gently caress you. Gently caress this thread. Seriously people. This is the TV show thread.

Edited for language

It says [large spoiler].

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

as a fan of the books, i like that this version is taking cues from the later novels where appropriate, as well as making things a bit more suited for the television medium

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Cibola Burn is such a goddamn weird book. (book spoilers)

Let's set a novel on a genuinely alien planet honeycombed with magnificently ancient ruins — a planet that may hold a trace of the even more enigmatic and terrifying power that killed the planet's builder. Let's establish a creepy, cool ecosystem, set up a team of scientists, and give our characters special insight into the surviving alien systems.

Then let's spend the whole book throwing slugs, shoveling mud, and squabbling.

That sounds like human nature to me, tbqh

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

Weren't the books originally supposed to stop at a trilogy?

It was originally a trilogy. Then, when they were writing Abaddon's Gate (the third novel) they were extended out to six books, which I think explains some of the pacing issues the book has. During the writing of Cibola Burn (#4), they were extended out to nine.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

pugnax posted:

I get the feeling that we won't see the same character in the show. The show version seems to be heavy on the 'ruthless politician with questionable ethics' rather than the 'potty mouth grandma chessmaster'.

they've said they want to show avasarala become the person we see in the books.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I just want to hear the line "Shut the gently caress up or I'll have those two men outside beat you with a chair" in that voice. :swoon:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

akulanization posted:

I don't think it shows he's a tactical genius, it doesn't take a lot of tactical acumen to bring more dudes to back you up or to distrust Holden and company. I mean the whole thing was a continuous escalation of the threat of force culminating in an implied threat to rip the station apart. I think it shows that he's dangerous, and that they are cutting deals with people who they can only trust when they have them at gunpoint.

I also took the whole dressing down of Holden and Amos a different way; he seems to have Holden pegged, probably due to their similar backgrounds, but he pretty much misses the boat on Amos. Amos hasn't been shown as particularly angry or stupid, he's just largely amoral and thus doesn't have a problem with using force.

Yeah, most people underestimate Amos. He's much smarter than he lets on. I think even, in Caliban's War, Naomi basically tells him this, something along the lines of how even Amos himself underestimates how smart he is. Amos has a cold, calculated anger and doesn't really display poor impulse control (in the sense that he's not prepared for any consequences). He's no academic but he's a great mechanic and fairly perceptive and cunning, all in all.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

BexGu posted:

They are getting bits and pieces in at least. The scene at the bar did a nice bit on explaining how hosed up Amos childhood was, how good he is at reading a room for danger, that he's not vicious or mean spirited.....but at any point in time he will gladly gently caress up a bunch of people at the drop of a hat.

Wes Chatham also delivers his lines with this occasional sense of 'lost puppy'. Like the bit where he offers to smoke Holden, thanks Noemi for 'all those times you helped me' or in the bar with Alex. It really helps capture the fact that he's not big and mean, he's just kind of stunted emotionally.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I really liked this episode. All the characters felt like they were shining and it felt like we got a glimpse of Avasarala we know from the books when she was talking with Holden's mother.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Did anything happen that episode? I'm a little bemused by how far they've dialed down the pace.

I can see where you're coming from but I think this episode was so good because it just dialed down the pace and let these four characters handle a problem, allowing their characterisation to really shine through. Some of the other episodes - like the one last week - felt like they were moving too fast and not giving enough space to let the characters breathe (which is probably a side-effect of having the Holden plot, Miller plot and Avasarala plots going in each episode).

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

etalian posted:

The Amos monologue on churn owned, and how his character has a very nihilistic practical worldview which can be contrasted to Holden's messiah complex

Amos is a great character. It'd be easy to have him be a bit of a sadist or a shifty criminal, but it's actually rather refreshing how violence is just another tool to him (albeit one he's very good at utilising) and he doesn't take joy in it, nor is he a dumb brute. Like he said to Adam Jensen, the guy's a loose end and he has to die and it's just business, nothing personal, because Amos needs to keep his friends safe.

You see a guy hacking into your ship? You beat him down ASAP because you don't know who he is, why he's there or if he's armed.

I do think he was pretty upset by the realization that Naomi was scared of him, though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Painting your ships black wouldn't do a thing to make them stealthy.

There's no such thing as stealth in space. The only thing that can help is sequestering your heat, like Grand Fromage says.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I said it before but I feel like the show kinda wants me to look down on Amos but right now he's one of my favorite characters. Holden has gotten really annoying.

Kamal, Nagata and Miller are all really cool characters too. Just getting Ted Mosby vibes from Holden.

Holden's a great protagonist (he Does Things, he makes mistakes, he's always pushing things forwards) but his crew are definitely a lot more interesting, particularly Amos.

quote:

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. The radar did seem to have more than one craft on it, and I guess the idea was that Mars felt their flagship wouldn't be threatened? Still, the captain seemed really confident and then everything took a huge turn, whoever those ships is, they have power.

Well, that's not any fancy tech. If you want to hide your numbers in space, you cluster together, making any sensors show you as one big object rather than multiple ones (since it seems like their sensors were just picking up on the heat of their drive emissions). So, the Donnager probably thought it was another bigger ship coming towards them - until the formation broke.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm almost positive one or another of the trailer commercials showed Julie all sick-looking but definitely alive, but that footage I remember never appeared in the show itself. :shrug:

There's definitely been some Julie footage in trailers that we haven't seen in the show yet. I think that the two-hour long episode will have some flashbacks or something like that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I've been watching this series with my girlfriend - who hasn't read the books and who I've told her nothing about - and it's interesting to see how clearly a lot of things come through.

Miller is a "creep" and a "joke" and generally someone who thinks he's much cooler than he actually is (most of this seems to be because of his haircut). Holden "likes talking about things he doesn't know anything about", makes errors and got played by Fred Johnson. Amos is "like a kid" and scary in the sense of how quickly he goes from nice to menacing. She's not sure about Naomi but thinks the OPA tattoo around her neck is indicative that she might actually be what Lopez said she was. To me, this all came through because I'd read the books but it was cool seeing someone who hasn't read the books get the same sort of ideas about the cast. Shows that the series is working well.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

promo for the expanse season finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-RdwHgdUlU

julie's definitely looking closer to how i imagined her in the books there :gonk:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

KatWithHands posted:

Yeah, I don't know whether it was a good decision or not to change vomit zombies to just people still semi-conscious and reaching for help. It had good points, lots of good independent points, but overall it felt like the weakest part of the season.

I heard that the authors don't like that they came across as 'vomit zombies' and wanted to make the change to them just being really sick people.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

That was a great season finale, although it really feels more like a mid-season break.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Also, I always like Francois Chau and he's a good choice to play Jules Mao. He's Doctor Shen from X-Com, for all of you into games.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I sure do like hearing about the nerd rapture aka technological singularity

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Singularity man forgets that they mention early on that they need to get a sample from Phoebe (the recording that Miller finds). Sounds like something they found there, to me, something which they're now poking with a stick on Eros.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

What can a fighter do that a missile can't besides get the person inside killed the first time it has to do a high G maneuver?

Basically, this. The Expanse tries to treat it's sci-fi elements as 'hard' as possible and human-piloted fighter craft don't really fit into that kind of sci-fi.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

BSG's change from Zoic to whoever they got for Season 3 onward was terrible. The Resurrection Ship battle FX are so much better than anything else in the series.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I want to say that Basic is pretty, well, basic too. My impression from a the books was that it was literally basic subsistence levels and didn't include stuff like access to their Internet equivalent.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I heard that The Expanse is out on DVD? Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

spaceships posted:

jared harris is fuckin spectacular.

edit: i'd have drinks with anderson dawes and he could recruit me all he wanted, as long as he just kept on doing monologues.

The scene between him and Miller where tells him what Julie Mao would really think about him is a thing of beauty.

• Locked thread