Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

Wonder who they'll cast as Bobbie the martian marine.

Mild potential character spoilers up in there.

Miller has a space fedora. :magical:

It keeps the rain off my head

Really loving how Jessica Jones is neo noir while this show is basically space noir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked how in the setting everything is outsourced to the private sector including law enforcement.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gohmak posted:

BSG had magic gravity and FTL over a hard scifi aesthetic. The Expanse is just hard scifi.

Roman would approve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqjR1gHyIQ

Also really funny whenever a new show comes out doing something different like Vikings or The Last Kingdom you have piles of people saying "Game of Thrones with Vikings".

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Good news for cable cutters is the show will available at places like Google Play or Itunes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Some lucky nerds got to visit the sets from The Expanse:
http://io9.com/our-visit-to-the-mind-blowingly-realistic-spaceship-set-1743284262

Has some mild spoilers about future locations but the show is using massive continuous sets for some of scenes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUATesLdcs

etalian fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 24, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bert Roberge posted:

This intro and especially the first few bars of the music seem to be borrowing heavily from Game of Thrones.

Like it's pretty on the nose.

It's like Game of Thrones in space because it had a sex scene in space

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I for one am angry the character is the show doesn't look like the character in the books I never read.

Will stop watching the show

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 24, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Except that these hallucinations stem from alien nanotech messing with Holden and not some mysterious God with a penchant for reruns.

it's hard sci fi without mystical bullshit elements

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

I legitimately had no idea they made a television adaptation of The Pillars of the Earth and now I have something to watch while anticipating the Expanse.

It was pretty decent if not great and had al swearengen as a corrupt bishop.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

it's tech noir not neo noir

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

johnsonrod posted:

As some other people have said already, I can't loving wait to see the Donnager. That whole sequence is going to be awesome.

From a io9 article this set impressed them the most since it was a huge practical set 4 stories tall.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

What does the nightclub in Terminator have to do with this?

Tech noir is combining film noir with a science fiction settings, it includes films such as Blade Runner and Strange Days

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 27, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I'm halfway through the first novel, it isn't all that well written, but I've been reading Raymond Chandler almost exclusively for the last year so maybe it's just different.

I'm enjoying it at any rate, I think that the strangest part is how unexciting space combat is, with attacks resigned to minutes in advance, like when the stealth ship shot at the Canterbury and they had enough time to say "Yeah we aren't going to be able to avoid these so go hide and make preparations for hostage negotiations

Why should it be exciting or unpredictable when it's a unarmed freighter against a heavily armed stealth ship?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

It gets more exciting later on, but yeah the 'realistic' space combat never ends up as high adrenaline ducking and weaving type stuff. It's more like a tense stand-off with both sides trying to cook up a way to survive the next few minutes.

Also it's one of the ways the Expanse is somewhat close to BSG.

There's no amazing insta-hit laser weapons, it's mainly the space version of things already found in naval combat such as torpedoes, point defense systems and ship killing missiles.

etalian fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 2, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gonz posted:

I just watched the OnDemand premeire for this, and having no knowledge of the material it's based off of, I enjoyed it. It's got a cinematic feel to it, ala BSG (as others have pointed out). And Thomas Jane is a rad dude.

He was the most stand out great of the whole cast IMO.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Season 3 finale is a good spot, though many disagree

Even the staff admit the later seasons went haywire from the original message due to thing such as the writers strike and also how Moore didn't have a long term roadmap for the plots.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I like this phrasing, it does remind me of Bladerunner.

It was originally created as a sort of visual joke in the first Terminator.

Director James Cameron described it as merging futuristic science fiction with more traditional film noir elements and visuals.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thanks Matt Damon

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AirborneNinja posted:

I just found this series in August, and found out about the show a month ago and have been pretty hyped.
First episode was really good and Thomas Jane is a cool dude.

He's so cool he cancels out the dorkiness of wearing a red space fedora

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Reminder that the first episode will broadcast this week on Dec 14, with the second episode to follow on Dec 15.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Where do I go to rant about it being different than the book?

SA has a forum for book reading weirdos who yell at each other.

This forum is only for TV watching weirdos who yell at each other.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grimwall posted:

Probably review copies sent to critics.

Yeah all the online review places got to see the first 4 episodes back to back.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I really hope that the show can emphasize Holden's "drat the torpedoes - I"M GONNA DO THE RIGHT THING AS I SEE IT WITHOUT CONTEXT OR REFLECTION OF CONSEQUENCES!" and how it keeps biting him and his crew in the rear end. It was a little more subtle in the book than I thought, because it seems like a lot of readers missed that entirely and skipped right to "Holden's loving stupid I can't read this his choices upset me so much" (which to be fair is par for the course on goons as media consumers in general)

Yeah it's one of the bits I liked about the books

Holden's idealistic view that all information should be free since he believes people will do the right thing if they have all the facts.

Avasarala on the other hand has a much more cynical view than Holden. People will use information as a reason to go hogwild and make rash moves despite the consequences.

]

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 16, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Noctone posted:

aaaaand syfy steered into the skid and went ahead and put them all up on their website, lol

It's true, they have all 4 episodes up.

I guess they figured they might as well seeing how reviewer screeners tend to get leaked pretty fast to the internet

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The grim dark future still has annoying mormon missionaries.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Best joke was when they signed up the Star Helix boss for the mormon email spam.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gohmak posted:

Episode 3 has sold me on Amos and I recant anything negative I've said about his casting. He exceeded my imagination in delivering the balls joke. Martian interrogator and captain were awesome.

The trolling scene with the martian guard was pretty hilarious, it's like when people try to make those Buckingham Palace guards laugh.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole space duel scene was sort of underwhelming and confusing.

Wasn't too crazy about the infantry fight on the battleship either, almost looked like something out of space balls with the soldiers just lining the hallways.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

stuart scott posted:

"Space is too dark!!" I love you TV/IV

Just the whole editing and overall VFX made it hard to track what was going on.

BSG is still pretty much the gold standard for a more old school flak guns and fighter space combat battle.

The whole final part of the set piece was pretty boring compared to the massive hangar battle bloodbath in the book.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The longer intro was more awesome surprised they cut it down so much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUATesLdcs

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

On the other hand, creepy naval intelligence guy was awesome.

He's swimming in oceans on Mars now :gbsmith:

I liked how he was popping drugs during the interrogation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm an angry minority that gets tetchy over poo poo like that but even I find that ridiculous. Ade is a minor as poo poo character.

Sky is blue and also there's always book nerds who get mad over changes made to the TV show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pugnax posted:

Also, can we talk about how awesome Andersen Dawes voice work was? The belter accent was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwDgA9LUVMA

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the only part of the ship boarding sequence that was great.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Have they shown the ships spinning to create gravity? From what I remember from last episode the Donnager and the Roci traveled "Star Trek" style, despite the compartment layout not being stacked for propulsion generated gravity...

The nerd fluff is the epstein drive creates artificial gravity when on.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

General Battuta posted:

It doesn't create gravity, it just provides sustainable 1G (or more) acceleration. Gravity and acceleration are physically indistinguishable in relativity (as far as I remember).

More broadly, arguing about whether this show is 'hard scifi' is one of those infuriating and pointless genre arguments that should be left up to marketing. The only point I want to make is that even purely mundane SF with no fictional technology at all can be visually striking — witness Gravity!

The biggest 'that's really cool' visual touch I've seen so far is the insane acceleration on the torpedoes. It's awesome how they pop out, orient on target, and vanish.

Forbes had a interesting writeup on the show:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chadorzel/2015/12/18/how-the-expanse-gets-general-relativity-right/2/

More importantly the magic wonder drive allows the show to get away with filming lots of challenging zero g scenes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com/arts-entertainment-living/tuned-in/item/39704-sex-in-zero-gravity-space-on-syfy-s-the-expanse

quote:

"Alien" taught us "in space no one can hear you scream," but "The Expanse" seeks to reclaim primal screams in space in one brief scene where ice hauler second officer Jim Holden (Steven Strait, "Magic City," top of page) gets intimate with a shipmate, as seen in the image above.

So the question is, how did they film that?

"In the sex scene we're on wires," Strait explained during a lunch at the TV critics summer press tour. "When I first read the script, it was the effect I was most concerned about. How the hell is this going to look anywhere near realistic? And if we're gonna be on wires.... it boggled my mind. I thought, it's not gonna look right, but they pulled it off."

Strait, who injured his ribs not long before filming the scene, said he was in a low harness and his co-star was in another harness.

"We were both being pulled up and down, it was hilarious," he said. "We had a choreographer on set whenever we were doing zero gravity stuff to make sure we were doing it the right way. He was in the room and he's Italian and he's like, 'Throw your head back,' and we're like, OK, just let us do it. It was incredibly uncomfortable. It looks super-enjoyable but it was not to great for me."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

drat, I went back like 4 pages and saw nothing. I also really appreciated the morbid attention to detail on the zero-g partial vacuum decapitation

Yeah that was awesome bit, pretty much shows SyFy wasn't shying away from depicting the more over the top deaths in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Just finished the second book, third is in hand, I'll have to buy #4

It felt like a videogame towards the end, but I liked it

The books are fun once you realize that they are pretty pulpy in tone.

• Locked thread