Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Germstore posted:

How'd all that go down over a <2 mile strip of land at fighter jet speeds?

quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/01/world/middleeast/the-syria-conflicts-overlapping-agendas-and-competing-visions.html

hahahaha this is modern war

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ashgromnies posted:

wait, the kurds/PKK are "bad" now? i thought we fought the first gulf war to try to save them. this poo poo is so confusing.

They're bad to Turks, who have been stomping on the throats of kurds in Turkey for the last couple decades

The PKK are rebels against the Turkish government and there's no line between "guerrilla" and "terrorist" these days.

ashgromnies posted:

and the saudis want assad and his government deposed so i am pretty sure we are on the wrong side of this thing, because gently caress the saudis
Well the US also wants, or at one time wanted, assad to be deposed. We just wanted the moderate rebels to take over, not the islamic fundamentalists. Even before ISIL became such a big thing we were giving light support to Syrian rebels, because Assad had been loving around with Lebabon's moderate government. Which in turn was a big deal because Israel.

Please imagine a 20 person mantrain, each butt-loving the guy they hate the most while being butt-hosed by the guy who hates them. That's the middle east.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 24, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ashgromnies posted:

it seems pretty dumb to try to depose a nominally stable government in favor of backing fractured rebels who would seemingly kill each other at the earliest opportunity in part of a war with multiple opposing factions, but i am not an expert on these things

yes well you just don't understand the US middle east "punching ourselves in the dick over and over" strategy

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fargo Fukes posted:

It's worth pointing out here that for once the West didn't actually cause the mess in Syria. Our, good, strong, secular, friendly dictator Assad managed to gently caress the whole country up into endless civil war himself through greed, stupidity and corruption. You can hardly shrug your shoulders and say he's mean but he's probably the best person to rule the place. He caused this.

*barges around spreading destabilization everywhere, overthrowing multiple regimes and opening giant power vacuums*

*watches as the chain of chaos spreads to areas not directly touched by bumbling interventions*

Urkel voice: "oops! Did I do that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I mean obviously Assad was not the best ruler, but why don't you ask the 4 to 9 million syrians who have fled the country what they think?

• Locked thread