Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flerp
Feb 25, 2014

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

you talk about it too much for it to be anything but that

you may have heard of this thing called "irony"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Isaac posted:

I regretted buying the wolf among us. Maybe it got good but i couldnt beleive the whole talking animals thing. Animals cant talk.

it was p good i liked it

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Broenheim posted:

you may have heard of this thing called "irony"

i think pick's love is too sincere for that.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i bought the LISA game and the DLC but not the soundtrack because youtube exists

man now i can't buy a starbucks coffee without that money

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden.

Shame the sequel's never gonna come out :smith:

who needs the game when you can just enjoy the snarky social media presence!

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Putty posted:

i bought the LISA game and the DLC but not the soundtrack because youtube exists

man now i can't buy a starbucks coffee without that money

cool and have a fun gaming time

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
That version of house of the dead where you type

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I want to discuss heavy rain or indigo prophesy more. Which one had the ice dick bit.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Isaac posted:

I want to discuss heavy rain or indigo prophesy more. Which one had the ice dick bit.

indigi

*a phone rings*
press X to answer
press O to ignore

*presses O*
AND THATS WHERE MY STORY ENDED

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
indigo gets super bad and its great

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Uncle Wemus posted:

indigi

*a phone rings*
press X to answer
press O to ignore

*presses O*
AND THATS WHERE MY STORY ENDED

I really really liked it till it lost its mind but maybe it was all no good. I thijk i played it a long time ago

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Broenheim posted:

I got to a point whereni just had no idea why i was infiltrating area 51 as a child version of myself

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Isaac posted:

I got to a point whereni just had no idea why i was infiltrating area 51 as a child version of myself

yeah it owns

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Broenheim posted:

now theres a game that needs an hd remake

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Maddox makes a lot of good points here. Hollywood can rarely pull off a well written story. I'm not sure why so many game developers think they can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utk2k8Z4bJE

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
animal crossing

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
imagine if Hideo Kojima was French, and even more up his own rear end, and had absolutely no sense of humor and only wanted to make qte-based adventure games: that's the guy who made indigo prophecy

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

drat horror queefs posted:

imagine if Hideo Kojima was French, and even more up his own rear end, and had absolutely no sense of humor and only wanted to make qte-based adventure games: that's the guy who made indigo prophecy

Sounda good too me

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

david cage could almost be the ed wood of video games

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Isaac posted:

Sounda good too me

actually you're right, that's much too generous.

correction:
imagine if Hideo Kojima Swery65 was French, and even way way more up his own rear end, and had absolutely no sense of humor (or style) and only wanted to make qte-based adventure games: that's the guy who made indigo prophecy

edit: and this is me :goonsay::gizz:

damn horror queefs fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 26, 2015

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

just take the plot to blood sport and adapt to everything

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Jaaaaaason

JAAAAAAAASON

Jaaaaaason

JAAAAAAAASON

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
GTA 5 was pretty good, but not as good as it could've been considering the massive budget.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
The Secret of Monkey Island has great writing, that's funny you fight like a cow.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Psychonauts is well written and funny.

I think Final Fantasy IX is the best written FF game.

The Witcher's are great except for totally unrealistic portrayal of horny women loving skanky wizard mutants.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Flavor Truck posted:

I play video games. I often find myself skipping through tons of character dialogue and cinematics. Typically, the writing sucks. I want recommendations for games on the PC (or whatever I can emulate) with well-written, coherent stories. I won't post this thread in the Games forum because I've convinced myself that the majority of the 'experts' there have wildly lovely opinions. What makes me think I'll have better luck in GBS? I dunno. Reply to this thread, idiot.

Fallout Four, baby.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Pththya-lyi posted:

Knights of the Old Republic II is pretty well-written for the most part, but they didn't have enough time to finish the ending so that part's rather unsatisfying. Still worth it IMO. Make sure you pick up the rerelease and download the patch.

the dude's voice in the droid planet mod is loving awful, but it's a game that is def more fun with a buncha mods

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i tried LISA and it went straight for that refund
felt good

The closest to good writing I've seen is Witcher 3, which has tolerably bad writing which is only much worse than the badly-written books on which it's based. Most other games are exponentially worse.

Just read a book for writing. Play games for dumb explosions, shiny graphics or - if you're a tremendous human being - retro pixels and those precious feels

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
dark souls and only dark souls is well written

also diablo 2 is okay written

the way these games stand above others is they barely have any writing or dialogue, keeps it mostly in your imagination away from the writers

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

most people think that games like tomb raider and metal gear have good writing, so with a standard so low there's really no reason to improve.

i believe that one day someone will accidentally write a good game story. as sometimes happens in movies and tv-shows.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Witcher 3 has good writing. Too bad the rest of the game is all picking through sub-menus and being bored.

Should have been called Witcher 3: Medieval Florist Simulator.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
No games have good writing because if a writer was good they'd be writing books not vidcons hth

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

There are literally no videogames with good writing.

Every single game people tell you has "good writing" would be laughed at and ridiculed if it were a movie, book or even a comic.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Undertale. :shittydog:

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Maddox makes a lot of good points here. Hollywood can rarely pull off a well written story. I'm not sure why so many game developers think they can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utk2k8Z4bJE

Those are good points, but it's kind of an easy argument to make.

Can anyone recommend RPGs with good stories? I liked Xenogears a lot.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
max payne is rly good it put a whole lotta words in my child brain when i played it on the ps2

max payne 2 is also good but then number 3 is just yet another rockstar production

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Isaac posted:

I really really liked it till it lost its mind but maybe it was all no good. I thijk i played it a long time ago

the beginning was cool as gently caress because A) you'd never seen anything like this and B) you're covering up a murder you have no memory of doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Calico Heart posted:

There are literally no videogames with good writing.

Every single game people tell you has "good writing" would be laughed at and ridiculed if it were a movie, book or even a comic.

I don't understand why this is such a pervasive opinion, ironic or otherwise.

For example, GTA San Andreas, while being badly written by film/TV standards, is better written, acted and directed than many, many films and TV shows.

Anyone who insists that one artistic medium is less capable of containing good writing because it's interactive isn't only pedantic and shortsighted, it literally makes no sense.

Can anyone supply an argument besides the goon standard chestnut "they are for children?" because they aren't.

Side opinion, despite having no dialogue or words I think Shadow of the Collosus is well written/storyboarded because it hits hard in the feels multiple times with barely a sound, so the direction and story boarding work effectively as written.

• Locked thread