Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So I was thinking of two main ideas.

1. Non-alien required research projects, like Pyrotechnic Weaponry or Biological Weaponry.

2. Branching research paths, three in all.
Human: take what we know about the aliens, and make it ourself.
Tech-Thief: steal their weaponry, use and improve it.
Fusion: splice traits from aliens into ourselves (Gene mods from Enemy Within, but expanded and tweaked)

So talk about them, give some criticism, and tell me your own ideas!

Note: I am not a coder or moder. If you wish to take my ideas and make your own game, that'd be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Junpei posted:

So talk about them, give some criticism, and tell me your own ideas!

Note: I am not a coder or moder. If you wish to take my ideas and make your own game, that'd be awesome.

lol

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
drat, I think this baby is ready to be kickstarted

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

voltron lion force posted:

drat, I think this baby is ready to be kickstarted

You Likey?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
OP I am an executive with Activision and I'm happy to say that your cheque is in the mail.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haha just pulling your leg, im actually Bill Gates. Will $ 1 Billion be enough or do you need 2?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Junpei posted:

You Likey?
If you create a kickstarter, I'll sticky this.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

It's spelled "constructive criticism" btw.

Edit:
Hope this helps OP! Good luck with the kickstarter. May I recommend selling JPEGS for increasingly higher prices? It has worked before with kickstarters.

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 25, 2015

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I think he meant to spell "consecutive" actually.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Must have been a spellchecker or typo, sorry.
Anywho, what do you think, have any ideas, and what could be improved?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also, I said I'm not a coder or moder, nor do I know anyone who is. Feel free to tell someone else about this, and maybe I'll get someone else to get the codework while I write the story and design it or something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What sort of storyline do you envision? I have a few friends who are into game coding, but you'd have to impress them pretty hard with your vision. Setting? Characters? What makes it unique?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

That sounds like a really cool idea, OP. Have you checked out the newest and greatest Firaxis installment of the XCOM series coming out in only a couple months? You could probably pull some really good inspiration from that too!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

What sort of storyline do you envision? I have a few friends who are into game coding, but you'd have to impress them pretty hard with your vision. Setting? Characters? What makes it unique?

While I agree that story is important, I like to think that elaborate twists and the like are more suited for RPG's and visual novels. Don't get me wrong, i'm going to have a good story, but I'm basing it more on XCOM Ufo Defense that Enemy Within.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Control Volume posted:

That sounds like a really cool idea, OP. Have you checked out the newest and greatest Firaxis installment of the XCOM series coming out in only a couple months? You could probably pull some really good inspiration from that too!

I know. I am definitely looking at a let's play or getting XCOM 2, and I'll see if it can have any ideas in can modify or Frankenstein together with other ideas when it comes out.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
DOOM 2 is a pretty good game maybe you could make it more like that, maybe?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Like maybe you can have a chainsaw?

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

But Idubbbz......

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gordong Dongbay posted:

But Idubbbz......
He made some good points, if we want this goon game to be Kickstarter-ready we have to put in some work.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

He made some good points, if we want this goon game to be Kickstarter-ready we have to put in some work.

Alright, first. Let's get a good idea of what the three paths will do.

A. Alien alloys.
Human: Basic Armor.
Tech Thief: Manufacture AA.
Fusion: Armor Grafting (Permanent defence increase and 5% damage reduction)

B. Pyrotechnic Weaponry
Human: Incindiary Grenades
Alien: Elerium Flamethrower
Fusion: Umm... Nothing. Feel free to give ideas for this spot!

Alright, now tell me what could be improved.

(Oh, and the systems in-game should be more Xenonauts-ish, with stats and base management, but with more EW-ish classes and menus.)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Junpei posted:

Alright, first. Let's get a good idea of what the three paths will do.

A. Alien alloys.
Human: Basic Armor.
Tech Thief: Manufacture AA.
Fusion: Armor Grafting (Permanent defence increase and 5% damage reduction)

B. Pyrotechnic Weaponry
Human: Incindiary Grenades
Alien: Elerium Flamethrower

Alright, now tell me what could be improved.

(Oh, and the systems in-game should be more Xenonauts-ish, with stats and base management, but with more EW-ish classes and menus.)

Oh I really liked that part of Xenonauts near the end where it filled all up with beef and tanks and it got real intense!!! You're good at this I can tell. Yeah maybe Fusion can do that beef and tank stuff maybe you think?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Karate Bastard posted:

Oh I really liked that part of Xenonauts near the end where it filled all up with beef and tanks and it got real intense!!! You're good at this I can tell. Yeah maybe Fusion can do that beef and tank stuff maybe you think?

Umm... What?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Junpei posted:

B. Pyrotechnic Weaponry

How about your soldiers get a white and red suit and when they pump their fist out in front of them a fireball flies out. Call it FireFlower.

This is an original idea please do not steal unless you are Junpei or one of his approved coders.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Will this game have dating sim elements?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Will this game have dating sim elements?

No, and in case you didn't hear, HELL NO!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Junpei posted:

Are you sure?

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Junpei posted:

im out

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I actually think that the ability to manage relationships in your unit through a dating minigame would add a lot. Other tactical games have done it well.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I actually think that the ability to manage relationships in your unit through a dating minigame would add a lot. Other tactical games have done it well.

I just don't want the game to turn into XCOM meets hentai.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't say anything about hentai, just the ability to connect to your troops on an emotional level. It will make battles more tense and interesting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

can I romance(sex) the aliens after I defeat them in battle? this is very important to me

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Maybe a more Fire Emblem like experience, where characters develop their relationships by coordinating attacks and supporting each other? Would make some pretty powerful emerging storyline possibilities

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Maybe a more Fire Emblem like experience, where characters develop their relationships by coordinating attacks and supporting each other? Would make some pretty powerful emerging storyline possibilities
This. Just... this.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

same except just take all the anime waifu parts from fire emblem and add aliens

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Junpei posted:

Umm... What?

Oh sorry I was thinking of Psychonauts, my bad. :blush:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

same except just take all the anime waifu parts from fire emblem and add aliens

Yeah, also make sure the characters have feet in the cutscenes :roflolmao:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sorry. But what could it do? The only thing I can think of is "if lover dies, soldier immediately panics".
Also,

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

can I romance(sex) the aliens after I defeat them in battle? this is very important to me

Gross.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Junpei posted:

Sorry. But what could it do? The only thing I can think of is "if lover dies, soldier immediately panics".

Well you can include the counter of that as well. As long as both are alive and fighting together, they have bonuses of some sort. Accuracy, morale, whatever.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Will a Slow-Mo Bullshit Cam be included, OP?

I feel like that is very important when it comes to the UFO Defense experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Junpei posted:

You're missing out imo. Just a few off the top of my head:

• Character's lover in target of enemy. Character gains to hit % on that enemy.
  • Lovers can share the same cover :)
  • Obviously, lovingly administered medpacs recover more health
  • Children of characters inherit characteristics of their parents. May need to unlock some story checkpoint to enable rapid human growth for immersion and to enable SoD (suspension of disbelief)

• Locked thread