Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I actually think that the ability to manage relationships in your unit through a dating minigame would add a lot. Other tactical games have done it well.

Maybe a more Fire Emblem like experience, where characters develop their relationships by coordinating attacks and supporting each other? Would make some pretty powerful emerging storyline possibilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

same except just take all the anime waifu parts from fire emblem and add aliens

Yeah, also make sure the characters have feet in the cutscenes :roflolmao:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Junpei posted:

Sorry. But what could it do? The only thing I can think of is "if lover dies, soldier immediately panics".

You're missing out imo. Just a few off the top of my head:

• Character's lover in target of enemy. Character gains to hit % on that enemy.
  • Lovers can share the same cover :)
  • Obviously, lovingly administered medpacs recover more health
  • Children of characters inherit characteristics of their parents. May need to unlock some story checkpoint to enable rapid human growth for immersion and to enable SoD (suspension of disbelief)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I really feel we're on to something with this :) I may very well put down :10bux: to see this happen

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Junpei posted:

As long as it,
A. ADDS to the core gameplay, not detract from it, and
B. Doesn't get to creepy.

Also, can we add a lesser, "friendship" affect which is like being lovers, but decreased and can be between same-sex characters?

I don't like the idea that homo- and transphobia be implemented as gameplay aspects :colbert: Any character should be able to fall in love with any other. I don't even remotely see how this could be constructed as creepy.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mister Adequate posted:

You could have the game take place over generations, like Massive Chalice!

Now you're talking! A struggle against the invaders would be epic in scope, and should be depicted as such.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I would like to see the player interacting with more than one kind of extraterrestrial. The XCOM trope of extraterrestrials as universally evil and alien is getting pretty old, and it would be refreshing to see extraterrestrials that are somewhat friendly to humans - like the Star Control Syreen, for an example.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Junpei posted:

Umm.. Facts? Shouldn't you be doing the Electro-Magnetic Weaponry thing?
And Classes everyone! Give your idea for classes!

Please don't ignore mods' questions

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Junpei please write 500 words on how you will work to improve LGBT representation in your game.

I understand where you're coming from, but you're not really helping the creative process here

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Samuraliens

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Junpei posted:

Initiating override.
Please think of three variations on Heavy-Assault-Support-Sniper.
Explain what each variation does, as well as weapons used.
  • Russian (Heavy)
    - Weapons used: Bazooka, AutoBazooka
  • Japanese (Assault)
    - Weapons used: Katana, Dual Revolver(s)
  • French (Support)
    - Weapons used: None
  • American (Sniper)
    - Weapons used: Sniper Rifle

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Still waiting for that kickstarter link OP

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I think there's a market for an XCOM with a more Christian spin. Perhaps set in the End Times? The invasion narrative would fit well within the Apocalypse framework i think.

Edit: Please don't threadshit, trying to be helpful here

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Junpei posted:

Why is everyone except me and Facts idiots?

I'm not an idiot :(

Why would you say such a thing?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
OP I wish you would be more inclusive considering the wealth of great ideas this thread has come up with. It's our game now, no?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Junpei posted:

Start with Floaters, Mutons, and Chrysalids.
You can't just copy the enemies from XCOM and still call it your own game - you've got to show some creativity if you want the forums to take you seriously. We're trying to help you out OP but you're just shooting down ideas and it's frustrating trying to help you. How about you take suggestions a bit more seriously further on?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
How about we make it steampunk - invasion in late nineteenth century England, with fictionalized steam engine based technology? This could carry over to the aliens as well, I really like the idea of steampunk starships :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Junpei posted:

I said NO CROSSOVERS!

Now you're just being unreasonable. How about you come up with the ideas and we shoot them down? Might even be time for a MOD CHALLENGE

• Locked thread