Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Yes, I'm posting this again. But it needs to be said every year. If you go shopping on Thanksgiving, gently caress you.

Now, the argument can be made "Well the retail workers have jobs, don't they? I'm giving them money so they can stay employed! I"m HELPING!" You know what? There's 360+ other days of the year you can give a retail establishment money. No store will go out of business if you personally don't go there on Thanksgiving.

Also, the argument can be made that other people have to work on thanksgiving. Nurses, police, fire, etc all work, right? You're correct. They do. However, the difference is that those are necessary functions of society that have to operate every single day. People get sick or hurt and fires start 365 days a year. However, your greedy rear end can wait another day to buy that big rear end TV. You don't even get the best deals on Black Friday anyway.

By going to the store on Thanksgiving, you are directly responsible for retail workers having to give up most or all of their holiday to serve you. You're justifying the decision the company made to take the day away from their workers.

If you want to go out on Friday, go nuts. Hell, empty your drat bank account. But wait until the day after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Hmm, I think someone named Retail Slave might be a bit biased against black friday. Not saying nothing just putting it out there.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

counter argument: only idiots work on thanksgiving

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Hmm, I think someone named Retail Slave might be a bit biased against black friday. Not saying nothing just putting it out there.

Retail Slave posted:

If you want to go out on Friday, go nuts. Hell, empty your drat bank account. But wait until the day after.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Retail Slave posted:

Yes, I'm posting this again. But it needs to be said every year. If you go shopping on Thanksgiving, gently caress you.

Now, the argument can be made "Well the retail workers have jobs, don't they? I'm giving them money so they can stay employed! I"m HELPING!" You know what? There's 360+ other days of the year you can give a retail establishment money. No store will go out of business if you personally don't go there on Thanksgiving.

Also, the argument can be made that other people have to work on thanksgiving. Nurses, police, fire, etc all work, right? You're correct. They do. However, the difference is that those are necessary functions of society that have to operate every single day. People get sick or hurt and fires start 365 days a year. However, your greedy rear end can wait another day to buy that big rear end TV. You don't even get the best deals on Black Friday anyway.

By going to the store on Thanksgiving, you are directly responsible for retail workers having to give up most or all of their holiday to serve you. You're justifying the decision the company made to take the day away from their workers.

You work at a gas station and are salty about it?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i'm not directly responsible for poo poo other than retail employees having jobs

go to college or learn how to paint

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i don;t want to but I need beer and Total Wine is open until 7, sorry

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't buy stuff on thanksgiving or usually the day after, I'm a good person etc.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Can't wait to go into work at midnight!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
oh man i just bought a coffee at the gas station on the corner, now i feel bad about it thanks op

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Retail Slave posted:

I know it rules it's another way to let lesser classes know you're better than them.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

I don't buy stuff on thanksgiving or usually the day after, I'm a good person etc.
I wonder if I should go out for some Thanksgiving dea*SNRK*

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Outpost22 posted:

oh man i just bought a coffee at the gas station on the corner, now i feel bad about it thanks op

how fuckin greedy

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i bought some food on thanksgiving, but the grocery store closes at 2

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
You really should great full they gave you, an unskilled wage slave, a job.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I only buy sex on Thanksgiving and black friday.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Retail workers don't have families, just dependents

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Darth123123 posted:

You really should great full they gave you, an unskilled wage slave, a job.

funny thing is, literal slaves in the Roman Empire got the holidays off just like everyone else :hist101:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rutibex posted:

funny thing is, literal slaves in the Roman Empire got the holidays off just like everyone else :hist101:

They didn't have Starbucks

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
Lotta scumbag class traitor victim blamers itt

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

huskarl_marx posted:

Capitalism rules.

Asclepius Hot Rod
Apr 5, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Serfs during the Middle Ages had holidays off as well!

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've never bought anything on thanksgiving, black friday, or christmas.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006
What about buying poo poo before noon? Is that ok Op? Some of us have careers and families that keep us from running to the store at noon on a weekday like retail part-timers can.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rutibex posted:

They also didn't have nacho wing nights to go to after work so gently caress being a slave in Rome.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
I used to love going out on black Friday with a couple friends, not to buy anything, but to just enjoy the spectacle. Moving the opening times to Thursday and staggering them across the stores really ruined this. I say bring back the midnight openings and free-for-alls to maximize consumer death.

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
Do workers in the US get extra pay or time off in lieu if they work a holiday?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

NoDoorway posted:

AHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAH

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I used to love going out on black Friday with a couple friends, not to buy anything, but to just enjoy the spectacle. Moving the opening times to Thursday and staggering them across the stores really ruined this. I say bring back the midnight openings and free-for-alls to maximize consumer death.

I lust for consumer whore death actually

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Technically you're supposed to get double-time on holidays but most places don't do that since there's no way to enforce this unless the employee reports them. Most people are terrified of reporting their employers because they're so poor and need their jobs so desperately. :smith:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dirty Sanchez posted:

What about buying poo poo before noon? Is that ok Op? Some of us have careers and families that keep us from running to the store at noon on a weekday like retail part-timers can.

So try planning your life more than 1 day at a time ya alcoholic

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I'm at work right now.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
How about, don't sell the idea of owning a big TV as meaning you've "made it," in order to hook poor people into high-interest debt.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

huskarl_marx posted:

op appears to be arguing for ethical consumption under capitalism, an obvious absurdity worthy of mockery

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm sure at least some of the employees want to work today though? Who am I to deny their desire to work?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

NoDoorway posted:

Time and a half, since it's a bank holiday and jobs give you hourly holiday pay everywhere in the US.

Every retail place I've ever worked at had volunteer sign-up sheets for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter so you could sign up if you didn't have any family that live nearby and weren't flying out for Thanksgiving. I've never worked a Thanksgiving Day in my life because retail companies aren't fuckin stupid and know that they can bait in a skeleton crew to work for an overall lesser amount of money that day than paying a normal day of staff.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
OP I don't know what kind of 3rd world poo poo-hole country you come from. Thanksgiving is in October.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Thanksgiving is a stupid holiday anyways.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I disagree. gently caress you if you go out to buy poo poo on black friday too. People literally die because americans are such giant commercial whores, you know. Like, almost every black friday someone gets stampeded to death over cheap tvs.

Knock it the gently caress off. You won't die because you miss out on cheap garbage. Try to be a little less shallow plz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I need some OJ and a couple other food items we forgot to get but yeah I'm not going retail shopping.

• Locked thread