Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Do you know what et al means or are you too busy pretending to eat dead torture victims? I was referring to the practice of artefact destruction cabals aka synods in general. For example, the synod of 397:

quote:

It was also determined that besides the Canonical Scriptures nothing be read in the Church under the title of divine Scriptures. The Canonical Scriptures are these: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua the son of Nun, Judges, Ruth, four books of Kings, two books of Paraleipomena, Job, the Psalter, five books of Solomon, the books of the twelve prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezechiel, Daniel, Tobit, Judith, Esther, two books of Esdras, two books of the Maccabees. Of the New Testament: four books of the Gospels, one book of the Acts of the Apostles, thirteen Epistles of the Apostle Paul, one epistle of the same [writer] to the Hebrews, two Epistles of the Apostle Peter, three of John, one of James, one of Jude, one book of the Apocalypse of John. Let this be made known also to our brother and fellow-priest Boniface, or to other bishops of those parts, for the purpose of confirming that Canon. Because we have received from our fathers that those books must be read in the Church. Let it also be allowed that the Passions of Martyrs be read when their festivals are kept.

the practice of revisionism to the destruction of historical accuracy continues to this day with Isis, Egypt, those hosed up Americans who buy and destroy fossils and you, congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

chaosbreather posted:

Do you know what et al means or are you too busy pretending to eat dead torture victims? I was referring to the practice of artefact destruction cabals aka synods in general. For example, the synod of 397:

the practice of revisionism to the destruction of historical accuracy continues to this day with Isis, Egypt, those hosed up Americans who buy and destroy fossils and you, congrats

I don't know man, if you use 'et al' the main item should probably be an example of the thing you're talking about.

e: read that, and it doesn't say anything about destroying any books. Never tried to wipe out the apocalypse of peter paul for example, so maybe you're just a buttmad saltlord.

Germstore fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 30, 2015

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

id teach them about this incredibly complicated device called the longbow

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Rutibex posted:

funny thing is, unless your some kind of scholar or a catholic priest you wouldn't be able to talk to anyone. but unlike most people you would be able to read out written text, just not understand it :v:

Catholic priests use a different kind of Latin and could not communicate with the ancient Latins. So just academics would be able to speak with the Latins. That is, if you were sent to Rome. Could be sent to China or India or Mesoamerica and then you would be 'boned'

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

You'd pick up the language eventually. You'd just need to impress someone enough to feed you for a few months.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Most of you would be dead on arrival for looking so foreign and weird you'd be unable to get any help

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Star Trek taught me to find the nearest math geeks and tap out prime numbers.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I just wish more people in this thread would use my 'approximate geographical area' rule. How would you help North Americans or Australians with little to no prior knowledge of metalworking? Euro posters can keep talking about Rome, tho.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Speleothing posted:

I just wish more people in this thread would use my 'approximate geographical area' rule. How would you help North Americans or Australians with little to no prior knowledge of metalworking? Euro posters can keep talking about Rome, tho.

I've figured out time travel; Buying a plane ticket is fairly simple in comparison.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I wouldn't try to stop Jesus, but I would definitely murder Paul.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

starry skies above posted:

Honest to God this is an interesting idea for a Sci-Fi novel.

It's been done. A number of times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Connecticut_Yankee_in_King_Arthur%27s_Court
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lest_Darkness_Fall

etc.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

More good recommendations pls

Not talking about Ringo writing about sending a marine battalion to fking rome, like good recs.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

chaosbreather posted:

I think about this all the time, I would love to see a show where people go back in time and explain technology to people back in time or bring them forward in time and just freak them out with all the insane magic we can do on a day to day basis.

I like, go over in my head while I'm showering how to explain germ theory or electricity. It's a really fun way to get through periods of time where you don't have immediate access to sweet consciousness-crushing media.

I've got good news for you! You can live this by simply visiting the interior of Africa or Brazil!! Go show those noble cannibals in the Brazilian Rainforest how to use an iPhone!!!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I think I'd have lot to offer, honestly.

-I'm a totally pro google user- I can google search anything they need
-I'm a whiz at smartphones, I can get all their pictures loaded into the Apple Cloud
-I can direct them to any Wikipedia article they want
-I know which media sources are useful/truthful and which ones aren't
-I can drive stick

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Beef Turret posted:

Most of you would be dead on arrival for looking so foreign and weird you'd be unable to get any help

i'm wearing a purple shirt right now and dont have the features of a hard lived agricultural slave. if i could manage not to be jumped by bandits I might be able to find someone in the forum that i recognize from a bust. i might be able to convince them i am a foreign dignitary, who is at the very least worth kidnapping for a ransom or something

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Speleothing posted:

here, watch these videos and you will be capable of transforming NA/Australia. its actually not that complex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nawCa-4dWgYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bajwZPebm-g

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If I got dropped off somewhere I would be so loving lost and would die while uselessly trying to out think these heathen (?) bastards

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd advance it ~600 years by introducing Islam

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Did we agree or disagree on whether we could bring stuff back with us?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Testikles posted:

Terminator rules. If you want to take something back you have to hold it in your mouth or keister it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Testikles posted:

you may bring back any objects that you currently own, no shopping in preparation

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i would re-organize our systems of units and things

instead a "feet" it would be "cocks"

and instead of "phillips head" it would be a "dick head"

"stones would be "balls"

etc etc etc

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
p. sure i could own all the ancient scrubs by throwing a sheet robe on and going wololololololololo

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I've been furiously memorizing the exact date and time of every eclipse and major astronomical event in historical times so that I can "predict" them for massive wizard cred if I ever randomly get zapped into the past

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'd bring back an Apache assault helicopter and brutally own a variety of ancient Romans before leaving behind an illustrated Latin guide for the Bessemer process.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'd be That Slightly Chubby Barbarian With Really Nice Teeth and gently caress a bunch of women, and then when i'm nearly dead from syphilis I'd go to the mathematicians and show them arabic numerals and base 10 notation. I'd do this when I'm already dying so it doesn't really matter if they murder me for heresy by introducing the concept of 0.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'd take two rocks, and climb up a tree, and bang them together, OP.

e: I'd also try to make monkey sounds as much as possible.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like I could super vaguely explain a bunch of stuff enough to leave dozens of books of stuff I kinda remember from grade school or wikipedia but it'd all come off as creepy nostradamus stuff because all I'd do is sorta vaguely draw a picture of a car with like the 5 parts I can actually name and explain in sorta vague detail and then they would basically have to invent a car on their own and discovery channel would be like "spooky how close all this was to that weird book that weird guy wrote, seems like that guy that vaguely invented germ theory and the heliocentric model of the solar system was pretty smart"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

id just be loving cave babes all day long

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

numberoneposter posted:

"he only sleeps with 18 year olds? That guy must have some weird elder fetish"

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
Why not just parachute goons onto Sentinel Island and see what happens?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"he only sleeps with 18 year olds? That guy must have some weird elder fetish"
not that i mind a bit of body hair, like dudes who get uptight about about a bit of armpit hair or some leg hair are nerds

that being said id bring some hedge clippers for the bush

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

Hairy pussy

Very hairy pussy

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah i deffo want to go back in time to gently caress people who lived before the invention of

a) toilet paper
b) toothbrushes and toothphase

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Zzulu posted:

yeah i deffo want to go back in time to gently caress people who lived before the invention of

a) toilet paper
look at this human being haha what a baby dont want to stick your dick in that cave babes hairy cave

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i would be a bard

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Now I got both piss, poo poo, blood and gonorrhea all over my dingus

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

dad gay. so what posted:

i would be a bard

Don't do it. 1 AD doesn't have heart medicine or five guys.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Now I got both piss, poo poo, blood and gonorrhea all over my dingus
whats a matter you wanna live forever?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

a) toilet paper

romans actual had both of those things. your thinking of the dark ages

• Locked thread