Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I think I could do fairly well. I can calculate 2D motion physics, do grade 12 level trigonometry, understand quite a few chemistry principles, can do basic calculus and know a few random scientific constants.

I could tell everyone about germ theory/disease prevention/steel production/electricity and maybe even how to generate it 1900 years ahead of schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

"This is called a computer. You use it to shitpost."

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Pretty sure i would be put to death on day 1, so very little.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I know Ancient Greek and Latin and also the names, political agendas, and ultimate fates of powerful Romans in that time period. I could change history in significant ways.

So naturally I would end up in 1AD in Mexico and be a sacrifice to the sun god, which, you know, would advance civilization into the next day at least!

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I think about this all the time, I would love to see a show where people go back in time and explain technology to people back in time or bring them forward in time and just freak them out with all the insane magic we can do on a day to day basis.

I like, go over in my head while I'm showering how to explain germ theory or electricity. It's a really fun way to get through periods of time where you don't have immediate access to sweet consciousness-crushing media.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my diseases would spread, incredibly virulent and deadly to the local undeveloped immune systems.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Unless you're a hella good metal worker you're probably hosed

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

chaosbreather posted:

I think about this all the time, I would love to see a show where people go back in time and explain technology to people back in time or bring them forward in time and just freak them out with all the insane magic we can do on a day to day basis.

I like, go over in my head while I'm showering how to explain germ theory or electricity. It's a really fun way to get through periods of time where you don't have immediate access to sweet consciousness-crushing media.

I do this constantly.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

actually I think I would spread a bunch of stories about gods coming from space on great ships, just to gently caress with the ancient aliens guy

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Energy is the biggest thing. Maybe better farming techniques. The funniest thing is gonna be the realization that your single voice is ineffectual against doctrine

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

behold the magick of this wondrous black stone i possess

oh poo poo no wifi, nm

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Serious Frolicking posted:

my diseases would spread, incredibly virulent and deadly to the local undeveloped immune systems.

actually you're super clean compared to them, they would have tons of diseases that we would have driven instinct from immunisation, antibiotics and hygene. you would die preeeetty quick

like no-one has sewage, they just pour their poo poo outside in the streets (or directly into their drinking water sources). and the romans have got plumbing which is cool but it's all made of lead (plumbus, get it, Pb?) so everyone is getting lead poisoning pretty bad

on the plus side no HIV but wicked syph

oh also alcohol was insanely weaksauce back then, like strong beer was like 2% abv

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I'd spread AIDS

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

We'd all be dead within a week.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Energy is the biggest thing. Maybe better farming techniques. The funniest thing is gonna be the realization that your single voice is ineffectual against doctrine

Theres always a risk of getting galileo'd, but I think you could establish a pretty strong 'cult' fairly quickly when you start using your math and science to prove things that happen in the real world.

Like maybe you talk about electricity and then you generate some static and shock all the dirty illiterate peasants. Or predicting how long it takes for an object you drop to hit the ground. That might get you somewhere.

quote:

oh also alcohol was insanely weaksauce back then, like strong beer was like 2% abv

This was probably intentional.

Alcohol was basically the only way anyone knew how to sanitize water. Drinking straight water would almost certainly give you dysentry or otherwise murder you, but drinking diluted wine and beer wouldn't be so bad. It was a pretty lovely situation because alcohol is a depressant and that likely contributed to the lack of development. I doubt it's a coincidence that once the world replaced the depressant alcohol with a stimulants coffee/tea as primary drinks development suddenly started going through the roof exponentially.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 27, 2015

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Technology would take away power from the local churches and/or Rome, so expect to be pretty assassinated if you actually started making a difference.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

you could just refine bauxite and buy every government with your aluminium, then you could do whatever you wanted

momerath
Nov 15, 2014
how did people in 1ad gently caress even. im guessing it was digusting and dirty as gently caress

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

momerath posted:

how did people in 1ad gently caress even. im guessing it was digusting and dirty as gently caress

they had to be pretty careful and do it like constantly, if you stayed abstinent you could accidentally give birth to Gods and poo poo. They were pretty hygeinic about washing pussies back then. just a little history fact for ya.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

momerath posted:

This but someone in 4700AD posting about 2015AD on their telepathic communicator while traveling through an intergalactic network of slave clone bodies psychically linked to each other to quantum tunnel through space.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I'd probably just end up getting drunk on lead based wine in a gay bath house. Assuming of course I wasn't enslaved immediately on arrival. Then everyone would die from the 6 different flu superviruses I'm carrying and I succumb to some combination of dysntery/polio/smallpox/alocoholism/lead poisoning/gladiator pit.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
id go to ancient egypt to see some nefretitties and cleoterises:mrgw:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i would wander around in my blue jeans and tucked in polo shirt, with a horrid neckbeard trying to speak the latin they teach you in highschool super casually to blend in w/ ancient rome and i would totally be accepted and successful in everything i did

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Would probably be good to know the classical Latin or Greek for "Please don't kill me, I know poo poo."

Otherwise, it's slavery for you, since you're dirt poor and incapable of surviving the classical times all on your own.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
And I'm the grateful slave people will point to for centuries when their lessers whine

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
According to this thread, I could probably make a fortune by boiling water.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

momerath posted:

Sweaty, filthy, probably spread an STD in the process, the woman had little to no pleasure, and it's likely consent was not involved. Today we call it "goon style"

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
I already did, with my understanding of plumbing and running water, you're welcome for the Aquaducts.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

*starts painting portrait of myself*

this, you plebs, is called..... the selfie

momerath
Nov 15, 2014

Blistex posted:

Sweaty, filthy, probably spread an STD in the process, the woman had little to no pleasure, and it's likely consent was not involved. Today we call it "goon style"

nice. just my style. :smug:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Methanar posted:

I think I could do fairly well. I can calculate 2D motion physics, do grade 12 level trigonometry, understand quite a few chemistry principles, can do basic calculus and know a few random scientific constants.

I could tell everyone about germ theory/disease prevention/steel production/electricity and maybe even how to generate it 1900 years ahead of schedule.

I'm not great with math but I'm sure if I talked to the top math guys I could get them to work out calculus and poo poo.

I don't know how feasible electricity would be: I think the most feasible and important major industrial advance to try to impart would be rail locomotion. I mean the Greeks already had crude steam engines. That should would really build/cement an empire. Maybe movable type for propaganda would be almost as useful, but I think probably only Rome or some Chinese cities had enough literacy for it to make a difference. I mean it wouldn't be at all like A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court but you could surely get something done.

You'd have to watch out, though, because I suspect even pagans might get pretty upset if you told them about heliocentrism.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

I think if you brought an iPod with rock music on it to pretty much any point in the Middle Ages in Europe they would kill you (and frankly they would be stupid not to).

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

chaosbreather posted:

you could just refine bauxite and buy every government with your aluminium, then you could do whatever you wanted
aluminium is really really difficult to extract, you're way better off working out how distillation works and becoming a roman bootlegger

anyone with a secondary school education in science has a good 2000 year headstart like they were ignorant as poo poo, even finding out that thoughts come from the brain and your heart pumps blood round your body to provide oxygen is a millenium of medical advances all at once

i would make sure they murdered all the messianic figures in the near east so rome could stay pagan and strong forever

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

XMNN posted:

i would make sure they murdered all the messianic figures in the near east so rome could stay pagan and strong forever

uh they tried this and it didn't work out :ssh:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i origianlly typed millenarianist jews (and converts obv, you have to be thorough) but i got a bit of a :godwin: vibe so i chickened out

its what i meant really though

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
wouldn't be able to communicate with anyone

have fun

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i would warn Augustus about his 3 legions getting owned in the Teutoburg Forest, thus establishing myself as a powerful auger (and keeping the expansion of Rome going for a few more centuries). then i would teach him about germ theory so that plagues from the distant regions don't decimate everyone every few years. maybe crop rotation too, before i hunker down and get started on the real projects: radios, and steam engines

that should keep the momentum of the empire going long enough to conquer the entire globe, long before the barbarians can learn to defend themselves and gently caress up civilization for 1000 years

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I would become Judas just so I could betray Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. Then I'd take that silver and ball out hard big time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

I think if you brought an iPod with rock music on it to pretty much any point in the Middle Ages in Europe they would kill you (and frankly they would be stupid not to).

I sometimes wonder what composers like Mozart would think of our modern music and instruments.

I would probably become a witch who lives in the shack outside of town. If I had a download of wikipedia on my iPad and a solar charger, I could become a pretty powerful witch.

Also, I would bring a bunch of spices with me to the past. Spices were the cocaine of the era. Sell some spices and buy a nice house on the coast.

• Locked thread