Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Recently, I've been wanting to do more with robotics, and I've been thinking about incorporating computer vision into my next project. Most likely, I'd be looking to do basic object recognition and tracking, text recognition, and possibly Kinect-based obstacle avoidance. I've done a fair amount of programming in C, C++, and Python, and have taken some online classes in machine learning.

I've been looking at OpenCV, but all the literature I saw on it seems to be geared towards people who already have extensive knowledge of the theory of computer vision (which I don't). Are there any good guides for just getting in and programming robots to see stuff, or do you actually need to know the theory to know what the gently caress you're doing?

There's also this software called Roborealm:

http://www.roborealm.com/

It looks like just the sort of thing I'd want, except it's Windows-based, which means no running it off of a Beaglebone. Does anyone have any experience with it?

So, where's a good place to start learning? any meaningful advice would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
If you've taken an online course in machine learning, and find that that format works for you, then I'd suggest another online course for computer vision.

Here's one I found

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I also want to do some OpenCV projects and I'm wondering if anyone knows of cost-effective ways to do low-latency video on a PC. Should I be looking at capture cards for general purpose video cameras? Is FireWire still a thing?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Novo posted:

I also want to do some OpenCV projects and I'm wondering if anyone knows of cost-effective ways to do low-latency video on a PC. Should I be looking at capture cards for general purpose video cameras? Is FireWire still a thing?

...a webcam? Your phone? USB?

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I didn't think USB webcams were low latency but I'll look into it.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh hey, I used to get paid to work on stuff like this.

Honestly, while the openCV docs are kind of crap, the python samples are pretty readable, and you can get pretty far with them.

OpenCV
http://hastebin.com/odawatipuw.py

OpenCV2
https://github.com/opencv/opencv/blob/master/samples/python/facedetect.py

Novo posted:

I didn't think USB webcams were low latency but I'll look into it.

The latency is low enough for most purposes where it really really doesn't matter. Considering the overhead that openCV (potentially) will throw on, the latency of the camera itself will be the least of your problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I didn't know c, so I started with aforge.net, which was a really easy way to get some concepts down. Later on when I needed super low latency, high frame rates, and actual lenses I switched to opencv and purchased some ximea and allied vision gige cameras. If you have an actual background in programming you will be able to pick this stuff up from free tutorials all over the internet no problem. I actually had the most trouble with photography concepts at first, mostly FPS and lighting.

• Locked thread