Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

There's still talk of making a GITS movie, with Scarlett Johansson as The Major. James Cameron also wants to make a Battle Angel Alita movie, after he finishes that alien cat-smurf crap he's currently doing.
Either could turn out very good or very bad.

i am so mad at avatar for putting off an alita movie

so goddamn mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ANIME!!!!

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

Nanomashoes posted:

Only good one IMO.
Now that I know that's a genuine thing, have you read it? Because I'd be super interested in seeing a manga interpretation of Ulysses. That sounds so ridiculous, it sounds like a total impossibility. There is no way that this manga could convey Ulysses but I want to see it try.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Suddenly nostalgic for RealPlayerTM

Just kidding, nothing could make me miss Triscuit-sized images on a monitor already only 640 x 480.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i dont know why it resized the pig hat :(

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

so about gits:sac, whats the deal with the purple haired lady who wears lingerie into combat? like why doesnt she wear something more tactical? its dumb and i am triggered by her scantily clad fashion choices.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Say Nothing posted:

There's still talk of making a GITS movie, with Scarlett Johansson as The Major. James Cameron also wants to make a Battle Angel Alita movie, after he finishes that alien cat-smurf crap he's currently doing.
Either could turn out very good or very bad.

James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of the best animes.

Happy Bear Suit posted:

so about gits:sac, whats the deal with the purple haired lady who wears lingerie into combat? like why doesnt she wear something more tactical? its dumb and i am triggered by her scantily clad fashion choices.

She gets pants in the second season.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

KiteAuraan posted:

Sword Art Online is just .hack for people with ADD and a desire for wish fulfillment fantasy over really boring near-future sci-fi.

Don't compare it to .hack, .hack//sign had easily one of the best soundtracks of all time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Have you seen this movie?

Congratulations! You just watched anime!

It was made from this manga series. You thought the movie was named dumb?

It also had a way better ending where they couldn't stop looping in till one of them was killed.

Oh yea they used huge axes. You read it left to right also.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 2, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorStrangelove posted:

She gets pants in the second season.

She gets naked first season.
Scarlett Johanssons' up for the role nudge nudge wink wink.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Happy Bear Suit posted:

:spergin: she has to wear very little clothing because she has super-high-tech "thermoptic camouflage" that requires her to be wearing little to no clothing (in the movie she was completely naked) because it's built into her robot body and not her clothes. furthermore in the cyberfuture since everyone can just switch bodies at will sex and nudity is much less taboo and the Major has supposedly changed genders several times.

personally i think her trench coat outfit is the most "plausable" because she doesn't need any body armor or anything - her robot body is already more than enough (it weighs like half a ton and is mostly metal, and if she gets hit anywhere but the ~cyberbrain~ she can just replace the parts in like an hour) but it provides ample space to store ammo and guns and stuff

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 2, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's me, i am the weeb cancer all along :smith:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Clipperton posted:

i am so mad at avatar for putting off an alita movie

so goddamn mad

Me too.

I think he has since handed it off to some other director.

I don't mind much because he hasn't done anything good in such a long time that I would be shocked if I actually liked whatever he did with the movie. If we had 80s or 90s Cameron gently caress yeah.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Me too.

I think he has since handed it off to some other director.

I don't mind much because he hasn't done anything good in such a long time that I would be shocked if I actually liked whatever he did with the movie. If we had 80s or 90s Cameron gently caress yeah.

just checked wikipedia and

quote:

In October 2015, it was reported that Robert Rodriguez will direct the film with Cameron and Landau producing.

gently caress

e: also holy poo poo, the manga is 25 years old this year

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Don't compare it to .hack, .hack//sign had easily one of the best soundtracks of all time.

The funny part is that they both had the exact same composer. She just didn't give a gently caress for SAO.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Everything Gundam I've ever seen is trash (the original series is okaaay if you watch the OVAs instead. G Gundam is hilarious and I have nostalgia for it but it's awful) except for War in the Pocket, which rules. Armored Trooper VOTOMS and Armor Hunter Mellowlink are the mecha anime to watch.

Check this poo poo out though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwBXPsetOHM

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaXvyrQv_5M

Probably the most accurate retelling of the Count of Monte Cristo you will find outside of the book itself.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Yeah, 90's anime was the best. Unabashedly stupid and awesome and everyone looked like a Streets of Rage character.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Phobic Nest posted:

Yeah, 90's anime was the best. Unabashedly stupid and awesome and everyone looked like a Streets of Rage character.

Mowak bandit motherfuckers everywhere, when the men were mountains and the women were actually women and not children with an 18 scrawled in crayon under "Age".

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I really liked gundam seed on :420:

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Attack of the Titans would have been a good show if I didn't hate all the characters so much.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

KiteAuraan posted:

The funny part is that they both had the exact same composer. She just didn't give a gently caress for SAO.

That's messed up.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

:spergin: she has to wear very little clothing because she has super-high-tech "thermoptic camouflage" that requires her to be wearing little to no clothing (in the movie she was completely naked) because it's built into her robot body and not her clothes. furthermore in the cyberfuture since everyone can just switch bodies at will sex and nudity is much less taboo and the Major has supposedly changed genders several times.

personally i think her trench coat outfit is the most "plausable" because she doesn't need any body armor or anything - her robot body is already more than enough (it weighs like half a ton and is mostly metal, and if she gets hit anywhere but the ~cyberbrain~ she can just replace the parts in like an hour) but it provides ample space to store ammo and guns and stuff

I really wanted to like GITS, but the only episode I ever enjoyed was the one with the alienated Helicopter pilot who dreamed of assassinating his politician employer. I don't think cyber punk really works unless the character is someone existing on the fringe of society, and not some super elite government agent.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Attack on Titan really could've used some more gore. Not that gore is all I'm about, but a lot of the art in that seemed based on 'revulsion' and 'horror' to me? Should be more gruesome really.

One Punch Man is great because it cuts the bullshit of shonen shows, and leaves the great visuals and fights in. It'd be like if each DBZ saga lasted one episode, where some schmuck shows up an punches frieza into little bits, and then goes shopping; and it'd be that 1 episode in 40 drawn by the 'A' team of animators.

Anime as a genre though is probably, watchability-wise, about a 1:1 with reality shows.

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 2, 2015

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Everything Gundam I've ever seen is trash (the original series is okaaay if you watch the OVAs instead. G Gundam is hilarious and I have nostalgia for it but it's awful) except for War in the Pocket, which rules. Armored Trooper VOTOMS and Armor Hunter Mellowlink are the mecha anime to watch.

Agreed. Add Macross Plus to that, though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Clipperton posted:

just checked wikipedia and

gently caress

Who would play Alita? Need an actress who's young and kind of tiny looking.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
I'm baffled by the dearth of adult oriented action/dramatic animated movies and programs produced in the USA.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Who would play Alita? Need an actress who's young and kind of tiny looking.

i think cameron was saying something about how she'd be all cgi, but now it's going to be some cut rate rodriguez spy kids bullshit who knows

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

starry skies above posted:

I'm baffled by the dearth of adult oriented action/dramatic animated movies and programs produced in the USA.

Isn't that all of Adult Swim?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Isn't that all of Adult Swim?

Noted dramas Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Squidbillies, Mike Tyson's Mysteries and the Venture Brothers.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Clipperton posted:

:( I remember borrowing it from a friend in the mid-90's and my high school crush being all intrigued. Ah, the wasted years our or desperate youth.

The library close to where I live is fantastic and had all of the books, and when I was thumbing through it recently, I was surprised at how it still managed to be engrossing and tell a compelling story. Also, Desty Nova is one of the best villains.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Captain Lavender posted:

Attack on Titan really could've used some more gore. Not that gore is all I'm about, but a lot of the art in that seemed based on 'revulsion' and 'horror' to me? Should be more gruesome really.

One Punch Man is great because it cuts the bullshit of shonen shows, and leaves the great visuals and fights in. It'd be like if each DBZ saga lasted one episode, where some schmuck shows up an punches frieza into little bits, and then goes shopping; and it'd be that 1 episode in 40 drawn by the 'A' team of animators.

Anime as a genre though is probably, watchability-wise, about a 1:1 with reality shows.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kumo posted:

:( I remember borrowing it from a friend in the mid-90's and my high school crush being all intrigued. Ah, the wasted years our or desperate youth.

The library close to where I live is fantastic and had all of the books, and when I was thumbing through it recently, I was surprised at how it still managed to be engrossing and tell a compelling story. Also, Desty Nova is one of the best villains.

Yeah I'm reading it again before I finally tackle all of Last Order, and it really holds up. Exciting, touching, great setting, and it manages to avoid pretty much all of the traps (interminable fight scenes, creep shots, terrible attempts at comedy) that make most manga unreadable. And it's gorgeous, probably my favourite art of any comic ever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

Noted dramas Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Squidbillies, Mike Tyson's Mysteries and the Venture Brothers.

Well they have action :colbert:

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015
Takeshi's Castle

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is Venture Bros Anime? It's p good

Gurren lagan is ok, attack on titan is good but gawd the middle of the battle indecision self taking gets loving annoying.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
How many ¥ does a good anime writer make in a year?

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

How many ¥ does a good anime writer make in a year?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

8th MS Team was pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

LOL animator's get shafted hard.

• Locked thread