Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I started this sub-series with 3 because it was for Wii and I had a PS2 instead when the GameCube was around, (I know it can play GameCube games but Australia's only :airquote:retro:airquote: game store is an overpriced shithole I refuse to patronise) and while I did buy Trilogy I never got around to playing it, so combined with my interest in speedruns and glitches this LP should be a real treat. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I just want to say that I'm catching up on the Pikmin LP and that was fantastic timing because I just reached the post where you talk about Frog Nuggets. :3:

It's kind of odd that you get missiles before even the Morph Ball, at least going off the original Metroid and Super, but I suppose the Morph Ball has somewhat of a more significant effect in 3D.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This is a total tangent (I'm still in the middle of watching the video), but the escape theme disappoints me a little. I love the melody, but it skips half or more of the series (including my personal favourite, Super) and of the actual renditions of the themes, which are only in half or less of the series, one is 8 bit (not intrinsically bad but I'd love to hear a modern rendition) and the rendition from Prime 2 - I dunno, I can't put my finger on it but I'm not a fan. (Bracketed clauses, rendition!)

E: I had another edit calling it "breathy" but that was a moronic description written from memory of it playing five minutes earlier. I am way too tired to accurately describe what I mean but the style isn't great for what's supposed to be an alarming, in-your-face theme.

Since I've gone and written so many :words: about this one piece of music I'll try and make it useful by pointing out that the YouTube link for the escape theme has questionable spoilers about Prime 2 in the title.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 3, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In terms of missing intro items, you also have the Goron TunicVaria Suit and Grappling Hook.

There are a couple of areas I can imagine Fae was stuck on after getting the Morph Ball in Super. The two rows of breakable blocks where the entrance to Kraid was in Metroid 1 can be tricky, and the old escape shaft is some frustratingly unforgiving platforming.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Shei-kun posted:

Listening to Faerie Fortune describe things makes me wish I could draw anything resembling Samus, because I want to draw her in her Power Suit with a Goron Tunic now.

Or Link with gigantic shoulders. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Faerie Fortune posted:

Fun fact about me describing things actually, I've never played a Fire Emblem game so FP gave me a sprite sheet for a bunch of FE6 (I think?) characters and had me describe them. It was about an hour of me describing such memorable characters as Spud, Nigel Thornberry, Red Goku, Deputy King and Cotton Candy Elemental and it was a really really fun time.

FP is currently ROM hacking FE 7 (in addition to doing two LPs of different formats, holy poo poo!), so while I don't mean to presume that would be my guess. I'd love to see a side by side of the sprites and your names for them. :allears:

E: i hope spud turns out to be one of the useless ones

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 8, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I couldn't quite hear, is this the version where Flaagrah's music is bugged in loops the first few seconds endlessly? And if I'm not mixing up my trivia, that bug you mentioned with the ball jump can get you high enough that you can leave the room, at which point Flaagrah just disappears and you can't get the Varia Suit. :eng101:

Speaking of, Varia is my favourite translation goof ever, they not only produced something that sounds cool but you can retroactively justify the name as being short for Variable Temperature or Variable Environment. :allears:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You glossed over the word Phazon in an item description like it's a spoiler and yet its in your avatar text. :v:

I'll be very impressed if Fae can crochet something spiky and shiny. :)

The music in the Drifts is indeed chill, but as a massive dork for Super Metroid I think I'm contractually obliged to prefer the Magmoor Caverns.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The manual was either written without knowing or deliberately misleading, but Samus has always been a woman, as an above poster said she reveals herself in the ending of Metroid if you complete it fast enough and future playthroughs depict her without the power suit.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Also Samus has had bird blood since she was a kid (going off the fake statue fights in Super they're a bit under twice her suit-clad size) and either is buff enough to constantly use the Power Suit, or if it's augmentation that isn't an issue to wear she's still constantly jumping around and fighting. It's a wonder she's even in the same realm as present human heights.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't know why I have such a clear memory of Fusion's intro but the Suit had basically bonded with her, so it is an augmentation, but she wasn't expecting it so it was at least originally just a suit. If I knew Other M said stupid poo poo about it then I forgot.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I thought she was born on a colony orbiting Earth, or are we talking about where she was raised by bird mans?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Besides I don't think that name for the vaguely humanoid things is an Other M invention, they've been called that for a while to distinguish from the Space Pirate organisation as a whole, which includes Mother Brain, Ridley, probably Kraid, Draygon and Phantoon by association (being on the seal of Tourian and all), and I think a few of the other trash mobs in the game.

:goonsay:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

pointlessone posted:

Space Pirates are a race? I thought it was a profession.

It is a profession, that's why the term Zebesians exists to refer to the bipeds with claw hands, but in lieu of offering Other M any legitimacy they're also referred to as Space Pirates. :eng101:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I wonder how this would play with dual sticks, and how easy or difficult it would be to hack in?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Male of the Century posted:

It is 2 sticks, that's the default GC controller.

I thought it was tank controls, hence why lock on and a dedicated circle strafing dash were needed?

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 25, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

tiistai posted:

C-stick isn't used for movement in any way. Aiming around is done by holding R, which makes Samus stand in place.

I haven't done rom hacking myself but I'm fairly certain hacking in a new input scheme would be a pretty ridiculously hard job, not the least of which would be essentially trying to replicate the moving arm cannon that Trilogy has. Not even Retro managed to do it properly.
Yeah, I realised actually hacking it in would be impractical. As I too late edited into my last post to avoid a double, though, you could probably emulate Trilogy and bind right stick on a PC controller to pointer movement to achieve something similar.

E: Added quote, though I don't know how much it'll help, I have a strange penchant for the absolute worst page-toppers. :saddowns:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Did someone say SA-X? (from MeccaPrime's excellent LP of Fusion.)

The image spinning around lazily because of the Space Jump makes this. :allears: It's more relevant than it could be too, from how much Fae has mentioned Eurovision in various streams.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

"I love the fact that she takes military protocol very seriously, even though she is not enlisted in any military."

You sure you haven't played Other M? :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

A neat touch I noticed watching this update is that the game saves, then does the nifty little animation, to minimise the time from player wanting to save to successfully saving, juuuuuust in case.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Honestly the boss fights is where 3 absolutely excels. Specifically a certain shapeshifting subboss provided me with probably the most satisfying and intense fight I've ever had in a Metroid game.

Of course, there's an exception to everything. :argh:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There was some sort of chat notification sound at 16:54, just FYI. Don't know if that's the kind of thing you'd edit out but missed. :)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

God drat, there are a lot of ways to remember the difference between stalactite and stalagmite.

Speaking of huge maps of Super Metroid, I used to have a huge image which was the in-game map of Super Metroid with each tile replaced by the actual graphics for the area. Unfortunately it was several computers ago and I never saw the whole thing because I couldn't actually open it without the old shitbox crashing. I wonder if I could find it again?

E: Wow, first result on Google without even any qualifiers to distinguish from a guide map. That was easy. Not actually :nws:http://www.snesmaps.com/maps/SuperMetroid/SuperMetroidMapZebes.png:nws: but the tags mean people with SALR won't automatically load a 16k*14k image. Hopefully this doesn't count as hotlinking, it's not like any image host will take it.

Holy poo poo I never took a close look at it, it's annotated. Whoever made this is dedicated.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 24, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

My first thought:

On one hand the Pigmasks are dicks, on the other hand Mother 3 is good. Call it a wash.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:hf: on being deathly afraid of heights. gently caress 'em.

After this long I don't think any tangent of conversation would surprise me, and it is wonderful. :allears: I get a little disappointed every time Fae reminds herself to get back on topic.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I voted for go to bed because I didn't know but I later asked someone who did so if this is serious business count one go to bed joke as for cake.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't know if Gamecube resources warrant enough loading to cause this, but in 3 at least the load-disguising technique of just not opening the doors can get you shot if you're unlucky. :saddowns: Of course if you've left anyone alive it's probably because you were running from a fatal situation so :rip:.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I've had NieR on the mind too much lately, I was expecting something completely different when you went on about not stopping. :saddowns:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

God, I love Super Metroid's spritework. :allears: Very happy to have another excuse to look at it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

gently caress, :rip: Draygon. :stare: I've tried to fight him without grapple cheesing in some boss rush hack but I can only get like 2 missiles in each flyby.

Also I agree the beeping is calming, as well as being ambient it represents that you're done with an intense boss fight. :)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The Shinespark isn't the main focus of the Speed Booster and in fact I'm not sure it's ever needed outside of 100%. The reason I and I'm hope I'm not projecting when I say others like the Speed Booster is just the satisfaction of it, the sound effects and animation along with the increase in speed and smashing through walls and enemies is just fantastic. :allears:

E:VVV Ok yeah I'll concede that point.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 11, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

And that one drat Missile Expansion in Maridia :bang:

gently caress. :tizzy: Last time I played I grabbed as many items as I could without a guide or having played recently and that was the only item I deliberately didn't get.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The actual ending of the Advent hack was anticlimatic in a way, I was waiting for the video title the whole time and I got excited when the save broke things and, something you didn't seem to notice in the video, the map started acting up after you reset. Then it ended without incident. :geno:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dammit Fae I thought we weren't supposed to talk about Other M in this thread anymore. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Red pandas and miniscule steam community market profits, hell yeah! :hfive:

E:VVV :cheers:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 21, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

whitehelm posted:

I'm curious, why did you go the long way through the frigate instead of just going through a couple rooms in the Chozo Ruins?

Unless I misunderstood, to grab the Flamethrower and that missile expansion.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I, uh, think you meant you sounded like Morty rather than Rick there. Or at least I didn't hear any burps. :v:

Now I'm curious what the exception to the "coolest suit" thing is. I guess it's from another Prime game or you wouldn't have avoided mentioning it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeah, this conversation will be easier to have at some point in the future, while I don't know much about this game or Prime 2 I know they go further into what Phazon is later in the trilogy. So let's hush for now.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Bellmaker posted:

The concept of radiation has always freaked me out, and I feel the Bad Idea Zone captures that sense of trepidation extremely well.

Light is radiation. You're welcome. Unironically if that helps you cope rather than freaking you out :)

I never actually went to a wedding as a kid but I did like sliding on slippery floors in socks.

Man, both series that contributed to the name Metroidvania are dead now. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

CrazySalamander posted:

Castlevania is a pachinko series now, I've heard.

Like I said. :v:

• Locked thread