Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Jerkops posted:

I remember Baseball Stars and Tecmo Bowl led me to believe that pro sports were way cooler when I was controlling the players

They are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Super Mario World, my first game ever. Doned.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

earthbound.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

he was right

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Homeworld.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Goldeneye. Shoutout to Roman from the 4th grade who made me feel like a scrub cause I couldn't get all the banans in DK64 tho you inspired me to be a better gamer. Unfortunate that your tutelage was cut short by the janitor yelling at us about how incest was fine when I got a lil man rant goin about cousin fuckin

Edit* It may actually have been the illustrated childhood encyclopedia I brought that had pregnant ladies titties that I got in trouble for that time it's all runnin together.

Shaquin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 29, 2015

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Probably shadow rhe jedgehog becausw it combined the speed of sonic qith th badassery of modern sjootees like gears

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everquest

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

:staredog:

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ultima Online as well

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Majora's mask no question.

I used to roll around termina field as Goron until every bush was destroyed then reload the map and do it again.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I played a lot of Europa Universalis 2 in high school, op.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
ff9 for sure :-D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DICKHEAD posted:

I played a lot of Europa Universalis 2 in high school, op.

I'm sorry

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Most defining games
1-5: Super Mario World
6-10: Pokémon Silver
11-15: Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
16-20: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
21-24: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

hard for me to choose between super mario bros. 3 and sonic 2. i played them both a ton as a child, they got me into video games

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Most defining games
1-5: Super Mario World
6-10: Pokémon Silver
11-15: Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
16-20: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
21-24: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I feel like this is a pretty good way to post a similar post

Zork
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Final Fantasy 1
A Link to the Past
Wing Commander Privateer

That's good enough I think.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
One of the most memorable moments in gaming, to me, was in Pokémon Silver when I beat the Elite Four and found out that you can actually go and fight your way through the entire original R/B/Y region.

I love when a game reveals itself to be way bigger than I had been led to expect. It happened twice yesterday.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yeah that was super cool in Dragon Quest 3 when it does a similar thing.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Yoshi's Island

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

mabels big day posted:

Yoshi's Island

This too.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
0-5: super mario all-stars
6-10: super mario 64
11-15: super mario sunshine
16-20: super mario galaxy
20-25: mario is missing

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpy the Cook posted:

One of the most memorable moments in gaming, to me, was in Pokémon Silver when I beat the Elite Four and found out that you can actually go and fight your way through the entire original R/B/Y region.

I love when a game reveals itself to be way bigger than I had been led to expect. It happened twice yesterday.

Same but with gold.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
It's pretty hard to choose one, but I'd give the following my vote:

Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds - The first game that I played that truly made me think "this is amazing". It was technologically incredible for its time, it was bizarre and original and opaque enough that you never felt like you'd found/understood everything, the level design was spectacular and it made exploration incredibly rewarding. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss did this too, but on a smaller scale.

Deus Ex - the first game that I felt was really responsive to my choices in an interesting and meaningful way. I finally understood how you could write a narrative that was both carefully crafted and interactive at the same time.

Planescape: Torment - an RPG that kept getting better the longer I played and actually made me feel emotions. Wow.

Freespace 2 - spectacular action game that was so far ahead of its time that people are still trying to recapture that elusive feeling now. A great plot that didn't try to pull some sort of lazy space-melodrama but instead made you feel like a small but important cog in a giant, but ultimately doomed conflict, and space battles that were visceral like little else. Some of the best scenes were actually in Freespace 1, but overall Freespace 2 was just so polished that it still wins out.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 30, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AtlasToked posted:

i was tempted to say this, as i am replaying both of these on the vc, but instead i will go with age of empires 2. all my friends installed it using the same disc, and we'd get a ton of vault 12 packs and burgers and play every other weekend

now that i think about it, add rock band as well

I never had friends to play it with because everyone had consoles but AoE2 and Starcraft and Age of Mythology were extremely fun as a kid

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Soul Reaver posted:

It's pretty hard to choose one, but I'd give the following my vote:

Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds - The first game that I played that truly made me think "this is amazing". It was technologically incredible for its time, it was bizarre and original and opaque enough that you never felt like you'd found/understood everything, the level design was spectacular and it made exploration incredibly rewarding. Ultima Underworld: The Sygian Abyss did this too, but on a smaller scale.

Deus Ex - the first game that I felt was really responsive to my choices in an interesting and meaningful way. I finally understood how you could write a narrative that was both carefully crafted and interactive at the same time.

Planescape: Torment - an RPG that kept getting better the longer I played and actually made me feel emotions. Wow.

Freespace 2 - spectacular action game that was so far ahead of its time that people are still trying to recacapture that elusive feeling now. A great plot that didn't try to pull some sort of lazy space-melodrama but instead made you feel like a small but important cog in a giant, but ultimately doomed conflict, and space battles that were visceral like little else. Some of the best scenes were actually in Freespace 1, but overall Freespace 2 was just so polished that it still wins out.

:bow: to the Godly PC Gamer.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

my aunt gave me a NTSC SNES when I was a kid, which was loving amazing, and with it came games like Yoshi's Island, A Link to the Past and Final Fantasy III. of those games, it was Final Fantasy III that had the biggest effect on my gaming self. later, when I was a teenager, I bought Morrowind just randomly at a store. I knew nothing about it. it was absolutely loving fantastic and like nothing else I had played.

these two games are my GOTY of Childhood Years and GOTY of Teenage Years, respectively

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Banjo Kazooie, Pokemom Blue and Heroes of Might and Magic 2

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Same but Crystal... Hell of a game.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

:bow: to the Godly PC Gamer.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

#Genuflecting

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

mabels big day posted:

Yoshi's Island

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

I never had friends to play it with because everyone had consoles but AoE2 and Starcraft and Age of Mythology were extremely fun as a kid

sorry to hear. half the fun was talking about our strats and whatnot and the battles we just had

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Super Mario World/Sonic 2
Banjo Tooie/Conker's BFD

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

RE4 OP.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
half life + mods was all a high school kid needed

before that phantasy star four for obvious reasons

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
*salutes Counter Strike Beta 5.2 to Counter Strike 1.6 silenced M4ingly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It must be sad for the folks who were completely blown away by Deus Ex in 2000 thinking "alright this is it...the next evolution in gaming" and 15 years later and there's still nothing like that game.

• Locked thread