Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

man id like to hook up my old XPS tower to have as a backup computer (and/or sell) but I lost the drat plastic hard drive caddy they use and apparently they're unobtanium

might have to get a set of calipers and see if I can whip something up in solidworks

E: or maybe i could check ebay instead of decade old google results :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pham Nuwen posted:

Duct tape, man.

why make things simple when complicated will do?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geirskogul posted:

Many XPS cases also had bottom-mount hard drive screw holes on either the front wall of the case (underneath the caddy) to mount a bare drive vertically, or flat on the bottom.

Barring that, you can jam the drive into the carrier and pad the drive around with foam or bubble wrap, or stick it to the floor upside down with double stick tape. Or zip tie it in place somewhere.

As long as it's not hanging free, nearly anything works, really.

Huh, I'll have to check for that. Where does one get mounting screws?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

GOT MY BIOS BACK

...while im stuck in class for another 45 minutes and another hour drive from home on top of that BUT SCREW IT THINGS ARE HAPPENIN

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I AM DOWNLOADING WIN10 TO INSTALL ON MY SSD

YEEEAHH THINGS ARE LOOKIN UP

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My dad I think still uses a Snapper self-propelled that was ancient when I was a kid. Has the friction disc belt-driven drive system, old enough that I don't think it ever had the protective shield that newer ones do.

Also had a velcro strap over the kill switch cause holding it was too inconvenient. :v: I don't think OSHA would have been pleased to see a 15-year-old me operating it that way.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BraveUlysses posted:

Ugh, another loving mass shooting today in America, at a center for developmentally disabled adults of all places :(

Time to outlaw guns regulate gun ownership waffle and moan about how this isnt the time while mourning to the world "who could possibly have predicted this thing that's happened dozens of times this year alone?"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

in happier news, PROJECT BINKY UPDATES THIS FRIDAY!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You've been posting on this forum for 13 years.

I didn't know what a forum was until I was 13.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I get that crime's down across the board, it's just guns seem to do a whole lot more harm than good these days. You can't regulate evil out of the human experience, but you can make it a whole lot harder to hurt others.

Honestly I dislike gun enthusiasts blowing wind on facebook after events like these more than I do the very idea of gun ownership.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

my facebook wisdom of the day: death metal = edgy fantasy animes, because in both cases they're just trying to emulate Slayer(s)

thank you for your time

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tool added an Orlando show and of course tickets sold out in minutes.

This is the second time I've missed them; last time my coworker got some, had some spares but refused to sell one to me specifically, then was an absolute smuglord the next day about how awesome it was. God what a loving prick.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man somehow I got you mixed up with CommieGIR, dunno how that happened.

Also I've been meaning to ask, were you originally babyhitler or was that some completely different poster?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

does anyone else ever just make a spreadsheet to figure something out

i just made one to calculate potential final grades for one of my classes where the loving professor changed the grading scale a week and a half before the end of class.

I tend to optimize my efforts towards what's worth the most, so naturally this hurt me, but after making a spreadsheet the damage is not as bad as i thought; maximum of like 1% difference between old and new scales.

it's almost fun

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

someday i'll own a rotary swapped C4

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Corvette rotary swap with a Ford rear end just for that extra bit of salt in the wound.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

thank gently caress im done with my last* homework assignment of the semester, now its just studying for finals and games to decompress

*technically I've got one more due tonight but thanks to that spreadsheet i know that not only would it not impact my grade at all below like 60%, but even if i get a 100 on it id need a 91 on the final to get an A overall. OTOH by being lazy now i can still get a B with a 71 on the final or a C with a 38, and that's before a curve (which he's hinted at but not quite committed to, and this new grading scheme may just be the implementation of that) but regardless imma be lazy tonight and study for the final tomorrow

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

moving some of my unplayed (or at least underplayed) games back to the mechanical hard drive, I am really feeling the pain of being speed capped, either by the HDD or the fact my motherboard only has SATA 2 ports on it.

When I finally do a proper build it'll be SSDs all the way and whatever the fastest ports are at that time

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

lol double post because I can't see the one directly above me to edit it

tangentially related, I've never played bioshock 1 or 2 despite owning them because I couldn't get them to run on windows 7 (haven't tried since upgrading to 10 but i assume it's the same)

e: and NOW the post shows up. THANK YOU KING LOW TAX FOR THE MAGNIFICENT LIFE OF CLOUD FORUMS

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

I store all my media and games on my mechanical 2 TBs in my laptop, the only things on my SSD are my development tools and my OS.

Yeah, but the only grown-up stuff I run at the moment is the OS and Solidworks which take up a whopping like 17GB altogether, gotta justify getting a 250GB SSD over a 125 somehow, right? :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

:siren: ATTENTION AUTOMOTIVE INSANITY, IT IS NOW TIME FOR YOUR SCHEDULED MONTHLY FIVE GUYS DERAIL. THINK HOW BADLY YOU NEED FIVE GUYS INSIDE YOU RIGHT NOW. ONLY A DOUBLE FISTFUL OF FIVE GUYS GREASY MEAT BETWEEN TWO BUNS AND ALL THE NUTS YOU COULD EVER NEED SHOVED RIGHT DOWN YOUR THROAT CAN SATISFY YOU. YOU loving ANIMALS. :siren:

i said this on facebook but gently caress you for posting this 2 hours after 5 guys closed in my time zone

i was even craving a burger earlier but was busy with school bullshit

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

oh good my mom just informed me that im falling off her insurance january 1 and she wants me to get on the school insurance plan

which would be fine if they weren't probably busy as poo poo on account of it being, you know, FINALS WEEK

for someone who has her finances planned out like 20y in advance she sure does wait til the absolute last second to tell me poo poo

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kimbo305 posted:

Would that part of the administration be affected by end of the semester stuff? Would it be under the registrar's office or somewhere else?

who knows, i'll have to figure it all out

i guess it's more the whole thing of fitting this in between-studying and exams and also before they close for winter break (if they do at all, my main point of reference is community college so I don't exactly know how these things work at big schools)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

quote:

Adds administrative support to prevent Outlook 2010 from booting into safe mode.

quote:

Notice
After you install this update, Outlook 2010 may start only in safe mode.

lol

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh THAT'S who you are on here. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

you ever get nostalgic for what was objectively the worst time in your life?

2007-2008 was basically a crossroads when i could have hosed up for good and gone into a downward spiral of drugs, police encounters and eventually probably homelessness had a made a couple more mistakes

i was blowing all my money on pot, getting more and more reckless trying other drugs, being a lot more cavalier about driving drunk cause "hey man its only down the block" and basically doing nothing at all of value with my life

i was hanging out with shadier and shadier dudes and the people i called friends were basically using me as a free taxi and more often than not food-buyer

it all culminated in me getting arrested, losing my first job, getting punched in the face by my "best friend" and pretty much falling out of touch with the rest (who did not share my beef with him and for whom he was basically the "hub" if that makes sense), all within a few months. E: oh and i lost my license right after gtting a new job due to forgetting to pay a speeding ticket. that was a fun few months.

basically my entire life would be objectively better if i'd never met this dude, none of that had ever happened and i'd stayed in school the first time around

and yet... it's the only time in my life i ever remember feeling something that resembles happiness. despite the shadiness there were some fun times, i was actually going out and meeting people and having fun, i wasn't spending all hours of the day and night worrying about the loving future and spinning my wheels about all the fun times i can't afford, and i was just generally content with the state of things at the time. and i loving miss that, drat it all, despite the fact it's also the greatest source of misery in my life.

basically what the gently caress

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

been up all goddamn night studying and making a forula sheet for a loving SATURDAY MORNING FINAL EXAM

LETS DO THIS poo poo FUC

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

lmao haha lol we just got word at the eleventh hour that the three page fornula sheet id spent an hour and a half to that point (on the night before the test to time is at a premium) laying out to print has to be handwritten or it wont be allowerd hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol: :) :cawg: :D :cool: this is fine :keke: :sotw: :v: everythigsnf ine

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Locator posted:

What? Why would they require a document to be handwritten? Is this a class or work? Either way this sounds stupid.

3 of 4 classes this semester have all had stupid arbitrary bullshit

my ee class wont even allow a formula sheet for the final; ohm's law is one thing but how the gently caress am i supposed to remember the goddmn inductance formulas in a hi stress environment like that\

and my materials class limited it to loving notecards. 1 for first exam, 2 for 2nd, 3 for the final. just give us a loving full sheet ffs.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

obamacare is statistically an improvement. some people like rhyno get the shaft, but otoh other people are able to be insured who couldn't before. sucks, but still a net gain for society.

that said, it's a very slight improvement, and an absolute joke compared to the original vision of true socialized healthcare. but we cant have that cause a black man proposed it and also its communism.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

got my loving finals done prgbhegbph

solids loving sucked because the 2 things i left off my formula sheet cause we'd spent like 15 minutes on in the lectures ended up being on the exam worth like 18% of the total exam and i struggled with a couple other things

then i blanked on how to do goddamn phasor notation after having to sprint across campus to reach my next exam. i finished solids at 12:46, EE started at 1, because the department in charge of finals scheduling is loving retarded. i spent so much time going over the circuit analysis and op-amp stuff and it was barely there, then the last question was literally "design a band-pass circuit and generate its transfer function in terms of R, L and C." I realize the class is called principles of EE but goddammit that's not what i'm studying to be

gently caress it, whatever, i'm pretty sure all my classes i cant get less than a C and i think most of them are Bs even before curves so i think on the whole ill be alright. i guess im just seeking perfection after decades of being a fuckup and overstressing myself when i merely do well instead.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

With engineering school this occurs the same as any other, but then it's the 200 (sophomore) and 300 (junior) level courses that REALLY gently caress you in the rear end and make you change to business.

:v:

naw the content is interesting enough, in my cases the instruction is just as dull as it could possible be, plus all 4 classes are on the same days of the week spread out over 12 hours so its an absolute grind

next semester it the same 12 credit hours but spread out over 5 days, and with the exception of one lab day its all afternoon/evening classes. my classmate with the same schedule bitches about how awful 5 days a week will be and im like "uh dude what do you think life's gonna be like after you graduate and get a job?"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

literally a fish posted:

The sudden insane heat is NOT (entirely) global warming's doing. It's an El Nino year. We haven't had one of those for five years, which is pretty unusual. El Nino years (as opposed to La Nina years) are hotter.

Global warming is definitely real but it's (mostly) not responsible for the warms.

ferremit's southern hemisphere bro

it'm a joke

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i mean on the one hand condolences but otoh lmao

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

AFAIK the "optimal order" for absolute newbies (especially if they don't know about Vader/Luke) is 4/5 (so you get the buildup and the big reveal hits hard), then prequels for the backstory, and ROTJ last.

If you all know everything though just watch in numerical order (veggies before pudding, etc).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gently caress IT, GOOD ENOUGH

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

star wars

that is all

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KozmoNaut posted:

It's going in to be fixed up in January, and they're giving me an unlimited loaner car while it's in. I'm just glad I don't have to go through the hassle of finding a new car.

That sounds like the sweetest part of the deal, nothing worse than sharing a car/paying for a rental because they wouldn't play ball.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I drive to Titusville to watch it live and uh

HYPE LEVEL MAXIMUM SPACE JUST HAPPENED IN A BIG rear end WAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Boozechat, over thanksgiving my uncle (whole family is ostensibly catholic but pretty much secular these days) gave me a lecture for drinking two entire beers over the whole afternoon.

I mean I'm a 350lb fat gently caress that's barely enough to get a buzz even if I chugged them.

• Locked thread