Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Voting is done! Click here to see the results!

Hey, it's back! Welcome to the second year of the SAS MLB Hall of Fame. Before we get started, let's take a look at our inaugural class from last year:

Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
Mike Piazza
John Smoltz
Larry Walker

Good job, guys :patriot:

So what is the SAS MLB Hall of Fame Ballot? Well, every year the BWAA votes on the MLB Hall of Fame, and every year we watch as they inevitably gently caress it up. With all the talk, I'd like to see who we would put into the hall. I'm going to keep track of this through multiple years, so when we induct players and the writers don't, they won't appear on the next ballot (and vice versa). I also changed the rules a bit, because the BBWA is dumb.

A player must be on at least 75% of ballots cast to qualify for the SAS MLB Hall of Fame
There is no limitation on players you can vote for. You want to vote for 12 guys? Go for it. Only three are deserving? Then only vote for them.
Because of this, the bar for entry has been raised, and players will fall off the ballot if they fail to reach a certain percentage, based on how many years they've been on the ballot.
- First year: 25%
- Second year: 50%
- Third year: 75% - three strikes and you're out

It's a pretty simple system so the rules aren't difficult! Last year had nine inductees, nine who moved on to this year, and sixteen who fell off. Here is the list of 2016 hopefuls.

Garret Anderson
Brad Asmus
Luis Castillo
David Eckstein
Jim Edmonds
Troy Glaus
Ken Griffey Jr.
Mark Grudzielanek
Mike Hampton
Trevor Hoffman
Jason Kendall
Jeff Kent
Mike Lowell
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Sammy Sosa
Mike Sweeney
Alan Trammell
Billy Wagner
Randy Winn

Voting is absolutely subjective, but feel free to post about why you feel guys should or should not be hall of famers in here, as you have until 11:59pm EST on December 30th to vote. I plan on revealing the results, as well as all the ballots, on New Year's Day.

And here is your ballot.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheFlyingLlama posted:

quick question, how to I protest vote for pete rose? Just an all blank ballot or what?

Pete Rose is banned from baseball and also is a terrible person so you should have no sympathy for him.

But I guess if you want to vote for like Randy Winn he's probably just as deserving as Rose so he's a good protest vote.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

Do you have vote percentages for the guys returning from last year's ballot so we can see how close they are to falling off or getting in?

Shouldn't matter. Vote based on if you think they are a hall of famer, not just because you want to bump someone over the edge or keep them on the ballot. Same reason why I didn't tell you in the OP who the second year guys are.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JoeRules posted:

Sheffield was on the ballot? He's not listed in the OP, so I didn't give him consideration. :smith:

poo poo, my bad. I can add him to your vote retroactively if you want. OP is fixed now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

This plus Sheffield and Jim Edmounds was mine

This plus Kent and Wagner for me.

Nice spread on the ballots so far, several that go over ten and a few that are as small as three.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bob Shabazz posted:

If Billy Wagner isn't a Hall of Famer then basically no reliever but Mariano is.

This is sort of how I felt. Wagner dominates Hoffman in basically every stat but saves, and ultimately I voted for him but left Hoffman off. Hoffman was good through his whole career so I can't call him a compiler or anything, but I think the bar to get in as purely a reliever has to be super high and I don't feel like the rest of his numbers bear that out, whereas I feel like Wagner's do.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

He was a very good hitter at a premium position that he played really well. Probably not as well as the highlights indicated, but a lot of people have overreacted way too far the other way to that in an effort to sound smarter than the average baseball fan.

Seriously, dude had a career OPS of .903. That's higher than Sosa (.878), for reference.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Calm down guys it wouldn't be an authentic Hall of Fame voting process if it didn't have a few ballots based on terrible opinions.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

I did this, too.

I am of the opinion that his historic post-season success should be a point in his favor, though. Some people don't think it should be since it's not during the regular season. He probably should be in the hall of fame but gently caress that guy. The same goes for Pete Rose (let's not debate Pete Rose).

Yeah, Schilling's postseason success is what tipped him into HoF for me. I might have still voted for him anyway but it made it less of a decision, at least. Especially because I can't claim that I wouldn't have let his off field actions cloud my judgement if it was a close call.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

Well McGwire was a way better hitter so

He also didn't have like a four year peak with bad seasons on either side

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Fix It posted:

Was on the fence about Trammel, but he really had a good 1980s from a premium defensive position. Might vote for Edmonds next year.

What exactly would make him any more worthy next year than this year?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Fix It posted:

Just not first ballot material, sorry.

What does that even mean

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

it means he doesn't want to vote for him the first time he is on the ballot

My point is that the "first ballot prestige" is dumb and he should feel bad :colbert:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Fix It posted:

Well, excuse me. I thought the was thread where we role-play sports writers.

:smith:

IcePhoenix posted:

So what is the SAS MLB Hall of Fame Ballot? Well, every year the BWAA votes on the MLB Hall of Fame, and every year we watch as they inevitably gently caress it up. With all the talk, I'd like to see who we would put into the hall. I'm going to keep track of this through multiple years, so when we induct players and the writers don't, they won't appear on the next ballot (and vice versa). I also changed the rules a bit, because the BBWA is dumb.

If that's how you want to do your ballot though, then you do you :shrug: At least I understand why you used that reasoning.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 18, 2015

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

On the positive side we're up to 64 ballots cast so hopefully we're going to pass last year before the final push (there were a good amount of ballots cast in the last couple days last year)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Unless it's the difference between falling off the ballot or staying on, I'm probably only going to add the Sheffield votes because that was me legit loving up and leaving him out of the OP.

Also we're up to 65 responses and last year had a late rush on the last couple days so we might break 100 votes :unsmith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

10 days left and we've matched our vote total from last year :toot:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Eric the Mauve posted:

And then of course there was 1999, the year Rafael Palmeiro won the silver slugger at DH and the gold glove at 1B. :master:

This is my favorite one.

chilihead posted:

Also in our day and age i think we have to vote in some relievers. They are very important and are no longer simply starters who failed and are moved to the bullpen. That era ended long ago.

:agreed: Trying to figure out where to set their bar is hard, though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nathan's 2004-2009 were completely absurd but I don't think you can put a guy in off of six years.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

While we're talking about relief pitchers and the HoF, would you guys put in Kimbrel and/or Chapman if they keep doing their thing for another 5-6 years?

Yeah absolutely. That kind of dominance for 10-ish years is an easy case.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DeepDickPizza posted:

I just put together a ballot in like 5 minutes. Hope my cursory glance at stats to validate my gut feelings didn't gently caress up!!!

These ballots are the most fun to look at so don't worry about it :)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks for voting, everyone! I'll post the results sometime on Friday. Final ballot count was 103 :woop:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm probably going to put Rose on the ballot next year since Manfred made it pretty clear that even though he's banned from baseball he doesn't care what the HoF does. I mean, I'm not going to vote for him but I may as well give people the option.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tony Phillips posted:

Can there just be a new SAS can vote for permanently ineligible players if they see fit? All aboard the Rose and Jackson poo poo storm.

I just want to vote for Hal Chase.

Yeah, sure, why not. Outside of Shoeless Joe and Rose who else was banned?

e: actually after looking it up I'm just gonna leave it at Rose. Also seeing that Mantle and Mays were banned for two years in the 80s was kind of interesting.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 31, 2015

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Something kind of funny about the ballots this year is that there was nobody who had a vote percentage in the 10s, 20s, or 30s.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:siren: RESULTS :siren:

Ken Griffey Jr. 99.03%
Edgar Martinez 88.35%
Mike Mussina 84.47%
Mark McGwire 79.61%
Tim Raines 77.67%

--------------------------------------------------
Curt Schilling 72.82%
Alan Trammell 69.90%
Gary Sheffield 67.96%
Sammy Sosa 47.57% :rip:
Jim Edmonds 45.63%
Trevor Hoffman 44.66%
Billy Wagner 43.69%
Jeff Kent 40.78% :rip:
:rip::rip::rip::rip::rip:
David Eckstein 5.83%
Jason Kendall 5.83%
Mike Sweeney 4.85%
Randy Winn 4.85%
Garret Anderson 2.91%
Brad Asmus 2.91%
Luis Castillo 2.91%
Troy Glaus 2.91%
Mark Grudzielanek 1.94%
Mike Hampton 1.94%
Mike Lowell 1.94%

Here are the ballots

Congrats to the SAS Hall of Fame Class of 2016!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

Good, gently caress Gary Sheffield.

Also whoever didn't vote for Griffey needs to be publicly shamed.

Not only that but he submitted his ballot on CHRISTMAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pancakes posted:

The result sucks, Trammel belongs in the Hall. That being said, I guarantee SAS gives Trammel a higher percentage than the writers.

he went up a bit from last year so he still might get in on his last chance next year (I know this is his last year in the real world but I'm ignoring that because the real world uses Dumb and Bad rules)

It's real silly that Jeff Kent won't get that chance though

• Locked thread