Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The concept of these has always mystified me. Like I imagine a bunch of self-hating peppy teenagers talking about the devil as one huge analogy for how they just discovered jerking off, going to Christian rock concerts and crying profusely, all led by a thirtysomething dude with a soul patch just barely repressing his pedophilic urges. Is this actually the case? Xtians, please share your experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
my parents made me go to one when I was like 13 then I got kicked out for spitting some cupcake onto the floor some disabled girl made where the trick was "it looks like a cupcake but really it's corn bread and sour cream! Isn't that fun!"

It seemed like it was going to be the most trouble I ever got into my parents were so angry but the letter kicking me out said something like "if your son can not stop being a disruptful dan he is no longer welcome" and my parents were unable to yell at me without saying disruptful dan a lot and laughing and that made it all blow over and I never went to church again basically after that.

sudaphedrine
Aug 9, 2014
close enough. a little less about the devil and more about ~~jesus~~

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Kind of, but only in early teens.

Let's just say that there was a lot of acoustic guitars and uplifting songs about Jesus involved. A loooot. Some people ended up as employed studio musicians or producers, and AFAIK no-one got molested. So no harm no foul?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

exquisite tea posted:

The concept of these has always mystified me. Like I imagine a bunch of self-hating peppy teenagers talking about the devil as one huge analogy for how they just discovered jerking off, going to Christian rock concerts and crying profusely, all led by a thirtysomething dude with a soul patch just barely repressing his pedophilic urges. Is this actually the case? Xtians, please share your experiences.

yeah totally but as a dude my youth pastor wasn't into molesting me, in fact dude gave me some crazy sweet NES games he found when he moved and we played through em all one afternoon

probably sucked if you were a girl though

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Ryoshi posted:

yeah totally but as a dude my youth pastor wasn't into molesting me, in fact dude gave me some crazy sweet NES games he found when he moved and we played through em all one afternoon

probably sucked if you were a girl though

Sounds like he wanted to play more than video games.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
Yes my parents made me go to one of those for a couple years as a very young teen. Some 20-something guy there took an interest in me and showed me the way of our Lord by bringing me into closed-off rooms and spanking me while sporting a chub

true story

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
oops thought thsi was E/N

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Too edgy for me!

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
i wasn't Christian but i went to a baptist one with a friend

there would be a sermon for like 15 minutes but other than that we listened to secular music, played video games, and i met a christian babe i would make out and hold hands with (she wouldn't let me do any more)

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
no op, i grew up in a decent family that taught me about the healing love of satan

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Mormons have a youth group called young men which is really scouts but more church. Sometimes they had combined activities with young women. So we were in the same room with them!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

exquisite tea posted:

Same.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I signed up to be a Christ camp counselor even though I am Jewish. Just so I can misinform and destroy pre teens and set them on a path of failure for choosing to worship false idols.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I got to experience both sides of this coin!

I was personally in a youth group tied to my school (private Christian elementary/junior-high). It was mostly focused on teen problems and finding stuff in the Bible that was useful for "blossoming teens." There was the uncomfortable sex=bad study sessions every once in a while, but it was mostly about not giving into peer pressure and not being afraid of being yourself as long as you aren't Hitler. It was a pretty chill (mandatory) experience, but I was glad to leave because the youth minister was pretty out of touch with my generation, and the classes were boring. The fun to be had during our many lock-ins or whatever was mostly created by the kids. We built a pretty kick-rear end haunted house for charity, so that was cool.

My girlfriend at the time was part of the kind of youth group the OP mentioned. It was held in a sketchy strip mall by this thirty-something dude that mostly tried to recruit teenage girls and beta-nerd boys. They met for Bible study in odd places (Including the creepy dude's house), and lots of it was "trust building" and "circle discussion" that mostly consisted of talking about sexuality and teenage drama. I attended a couple of these things, and it was pretty out there compared to my group. Lots of weird new-age, hippy stuff mixed with out of context Bible verses to lend it legitimacy.
They went for a retreat to California once before my GF left the group. She thought the whole thing would be a fun get-away with music, camp fires, and all that. What it really turned out to be was a mass gathering of similar youth groups with a series of concerts by the worst, creepy Christian-rock my GF had ever experienced with sermons and "testament" during the intermissions. Testament time was when people would speak in tongues and faint when they felt the spirit:catstare:
If you want a mental picture just think of that GIF with the velociraptors and crying kids.
My GF spent most of her time crying for home in her bunk until it was time to leave. She quit the group as soon as they got home. Not sure how parents trusted this dude with their kids.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

exquisite tea posted:

That's non-denominational. Independent fundamental Baptist is the way to gently caress your poo poo up. I recommend it.

e: non-denominational = libtards of the Christian world for those who don't

whatevz fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 1, 2015

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Windows 98 posted:

I signed up to be a Christ camp counselor even though I am Jewish. Just so I can misinform and destroy pre teens and set them on a path of failure for choosing to worship false idols.
I'll bet you're just going to get owned into being a jew for jesus, lmao

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
yeah but i spent most of the meetings trying and failing to hit on girls who probably wouldn't have put out anyway. but to 15 year old me there was something sexy about a naïve bible bitch who was ashamed of her huge titties because titties are a sin. plus it was the only place where i could play in a band that had zero standard for quality

poo poo wasn't half bad, aside from the jesus stuff.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Yes, OP. I was a key member in a youth group from age 13 to 16. Sometimes I miss it, because it was the last time I felt like I belonged somewhere.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I was in one, from Jr. High until around the time my dad left and I gradually left the church because I realized it was all bullshit. My experiences were that violent video games and gun play cool and good at the church, Jaybus approves and that everything else is a massive source of shame. So I basically spent ages 12-16 in a spiral of shame and self-loathing, policing all my entertainment for "Ungodliness" and loathing my very being each time I though "Wow, that girl is hot" or I jacked it. Also, Christian rock concerts, which were all garbage music. My social life was also structured in such a way that almost all my friends were from the church (loving THANKS MOM AND DAD!) so you had to keep up appearances. Eventually I stopped giving a gently caress and fell deep into a hole of anime and JRPGs from which I never emerged. Then I studied other religions and archaeology and what little of my faith remained was crushed. I never did learn how to interact with girls though, so I am hosed there to this day. It was also where I was first exposed to that Every Man's Battle poo poo, which, hilariously enough, taught me the mechanics of how to jack it.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah... I went to a christian school and did church 3 times a week.
There was a lot of bible verse memorization and prayer and pizza.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

KiteAuraan posted:

I never did learn how to interact with girls though

This just in: Anime and self-loathing not ticket to Poontown as once believed.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Yup. I went to youth group every Friday because I lived in a small town and there was absolutely nothing else for teenagers to do.

There was a pretty wide range of activities we did. Sometimes we raised money for a missions trip by picking rocks in a field, painting fences or raking leaves. Sometimes we raised money through a Bible Read-a-thon. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, though. You'd spend 20 minutes reading the Bible aloud and then spend the rest of the night eating junk food and watching movies upstairs with friends. Our church had little loft areas with couches and tvs for the junior high and high school Sunday school classes.

Sometimes we did a town-wide scavenger hunt and those were always fun. Sometimes we just went bowling in another town or drove to the city to see a movie.

The mission trio that we raised money for was to go to a small town in Mexico to build the foundation for a parsonage. A previous trip had built the foundation for the church, so we went back to start on the parsonage. It took 3 days to drive down to Mexico on a bus, but we got to stay in decent hotels, wander around around Sedona, Arizona and see the Grand Canyon. In the Mexican town, we befriended the local teenagers and spent our days digging ditches, picking rocks and mixing cement. The Mexican town was filled with stray dogs, cactuses and barbed wire. One girl brought home a hat with a pot leaf on it. Her mom was a cop.

It was a pretty good trip.

Nichole
Nov 5, 2009
I was involved in the group Young Life when I was 14-16. For the most part it was a lot of fun. You would meet at someone's house who offered to host for the week and sing secular songs, play games and listen to some speech about being yourself. The religious stuff was pretty down played for the most part, it was as you got more involved that they started getting more and more Jesusy. I went a few retreats and those were always a blast. You go off to some compound place in Colorado, sing songs, flirt with boys and goof around with your friends. A day or so in they will start to get pretty heavy into the God stuff and that is was ultimately turned me off. I wasn't yet really a atheist, but their devotion to God weirded me out. Also, one of the main counselors was a Creationist and I just couldn't believe that anyone could be that stupid. Overall, it was a positive experience and I'm sad that there isn't more of a secular organization that would offer the same activities for kids. When they weren't talking about God it was a lot of fun.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Elpato posted:

This just in: Anime and self-loathing not ticket to Poontown as once believed.

Oh I didn't go down that road thinking it was a ticket to Poontown. I knew what I was doing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i was in the boy scouts, and we said a prayer every meeting and had it in the basement of a church. it wasnt really all that religious though

Moltke
May 13, 2009
One pastor was a child molester in my youth group, but as far as I know, he only ever molested a retarded kid that he thought would never tell. He would take ~10 13 year-olds on a weekend trip to a secluded camp every year (pre cell phone era) and was the only supervisor, so who knows how many kids he really filled with God's love.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was, there's nothing to report though. I was there willingly because it was fun to me for some reason :shrug: IDK

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

KiteAuraan posted:

I knew what I was doing.

This is where we blame church and our parents for our failings as humans. If you're going to take responsibility for your own failings, please leave. :colbert:

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I was in a Lutheran one. We traveled to Oshkosh, WI to perform path clearing duties in a state park one summer. All us kids were horny as hell and constantly sneaking around to hook up. I poked my pastor in the eye at Burger King. We stopped by Chicago and had deep dish. Pittsburgh...I might be mixing 2 or 3 trips up. It was lots of fun. They tried to tell us the Grateful Dead were Satanic because the marionette sticks in the touch of grey video formed inverted crosses. Ice-T's Bodycount was popular at the time if you need a time reference.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I was never part of a youth group but I did end up at a lot of their concerts and meetings and whatnot.

Youth group kids are repressing so much of their natural sexuality and rebelliousness that when they get together they do some really weird poo poo. From my experience they're really into physical childish games (paintball, human bowling, wear trashcans over your heads and run into each other) and pseudo-sexual gross stuff (put a banana in your mouth and pantyhose over your head and mash the banana out of your mouth and through the pantyhose).

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I was but we weren't a particularly "wholesome" group. It was more a place to hang out with my friends and maybe do some stuff for the less fortunate like volunteer at food pantries and stuff. Coulda been a lot worse and kept us grounded in our youth.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Youth group kids are repressing so much of their natural sexuality and rebelliousness

Yeah, that's probably why I have a lot of problems

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
I know two gay dudes who used to be on the Christian youth pastor track before they quit, realizing they were lying to themselves. They're both moderately successful in their fields.

I know one youth pastor who was fired from his job for making outrageous promises and straight up lying to his clients, not unlike his denomination.

Anecdotally, I don't trust youth pastors.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Sounds like he wanted to play more than video games.

nah he actually got married to one of my friends from the group when she was just outta high school* so we know which way he swung there

*even back then as a super brainwashed jesus freak teenager i thought this was skeezy as hell, i mean wtf dude

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I went to a few meetings with a friend.

They took me to 6 Flags, and also snowboarding. It was p cool. The lamest thing was they would sing songs about god for like 15 minutes but whatever you know? There was a really hot girl there but she did this weird thing like she was having an orgasm during the jesus songs and raising her arms in the air and that was a turn off. One time there was a video game tournament and I got 2nd place in Halo 2.

I went to about 6-7 meetings total.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
My Catholic high school youth group wasn't bad; all the kids had grown up watching MTV and weren't made to feel guilty about it.

But in college I tried the "non-denominational" (read: mostly fundamentalists) IVCF group and that got me on the path to atheism pretty darn quick.

e:

Moridin920 posted:

The lamest thing was they would sing songs about god for like 15 minutes but whatever you know? There was a really hot girl there but she did this weird thing like she was having an orgasm during the jesus songs and raising her arms in the air and that was a turn off.

Went to an IVCF event called "Mannafest" and there were lots of people doing that sort of thing in a crowded room and it's exactly as creepy as it sounds.

Phobic Nest fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 1, 2015

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Moridin920 posted:

I went to a few meetings with a friend.

They took me to 6 Flags, and also snowboarding. It was p cool. The lamest thing was they would sing songs about god for like 15 minutes but whatever you know? There was a really hot girl there but she did this weird thing like she was having an orgasm during the jesus songs and raising her arms in the air and that was a turn off. One time there was a video game tournament and I got 2nd place in Halo 2.

I went to about 6-7 meetings total.

Pretty sure we were in the same youth group if this true.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

One time they put towels on everyone's faces and no one was supposed to remove their towel until God spoke to them. It was more of an experiment in social dynamics than I think the youth pastor guy intended. Take your towel off too late and everyone's gonna wonder why God wasn't talking to you. Take it off too soon and you seem holier-than-thou. Take it off way too soon and you catch youth pastor Mr. Bateman with his dick out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

I went to a Christian (read:Baptist) school for middle school because the public one was such garbage. My family's p low-key religious-wise, but this school was straight bible-thumping and gettin' saved every Sunday.

Anyway, I went to the youth group once or twice because it was the cool thing to do, but I hated it. There was one leader I especially hated because he was oddly-controlling and just a general dick. These interactions spilled over into school because he would substitute teach gym classes. One such class ended with me getting suspended for "disrespectful behavior." He said I was "talking out of turn" when I wasn't even standing where he said the noise was coming from. He said I had to go "sit in his office," (a little closet off off the room in which he taught private karate lessons) which I refused to do, and went to the main office instead.

Cue a few years later annnnnd:

http://www.ncrj.org/wp-content/uploads/sponsored/Fiek/

This is the best summary of what I could find. Weird controlling guy molested a bunch of elementary school age kids in his karate class. The only articles I can still find on this are stuff like this one proclaiming his innocence.

This guy lead lock-ins/sleep-overs, coached one of the schools' soccer teams, and would lead excursions like hiking/biking with groups of 2-3 boys.

• Locked thread