Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/university-president-to-students-who-feel-victimized-this-is-not-a-day-care/ar-AAfPWgi?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

I wish a non-religious school would take this sort of stand. I don't want my kids to go to a trigger warning safe space university but a church college seems a step too far in the other direction.

I go to a private college thats catholic. I don't have to deal with any of that poo poo, maybe its cause I'm in Grad School.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
nomadologique is just spoutin' some Nietzsche you morans

hashtag activism makes a lot of sense viewed through a slave morality lens, particularly Nietzsche's claim that slave morality does not seek to conquer the "master" but to reduce the master to the slave's level. it explains why there is often a simultaneous recognition that the problems are systemic, and yet a demand that those self-same systems inexplicably produce the results they want (i.e. "reform").

note that Occupy Wall Street wasn't the revolutionary anti-capitalist Leftist movement the anti-OWS protesters claimed it was. it was a benign protest with the utopian demand that Capitalism resolve its internal contradictions, because apparently Capitalism is good and can be even better. or, #BLM protesters demanding the same justice system that methodically kills and imprisons them to work in their favor and prosecute offending officers. #BLM sometimes goes further and demands the same extrajudicial punishment be meted out to cops as is meted out to their own community. for example, after Sammy Yatim was killed, #BLM Toronto demanded the police force and mayor essentially waive the officer's presumption of innocence in the name of "justice". that isn't a demand for reform or justice, it's a demand that an "oppressor" become an "oppressed".

a campus activist that relies on the administration to accommodate their demands is complicit in the power structure that produced the problem in the first place lmao

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
millenials should be sent to Camp Verdun for desensitization education in a proper WWI horror scenario and subjected to sleepless weeks of unending shelling in a rat and lice infested hole in the ground with a plank over the top with infrequent/dangerous trips outside to retrieve the mangled bodies of friends, or to go potty in shell craters filled with a greasy mixture of poisoned water and half-liquefied corpses of other friends, and then taken out and interviewed by a qualified professional to verify that they are, indeed, literally shaking

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Agag posted:

He was crucified for blasphemy, and Christianity did not alter the political order.

The penalty for blasphemy under Roman law was not crucifixion. Crucifixion was reserved for revolutionaries and other political criminals. Jesus was crucified for his messianic aspirations. "Messiah" at the time being something more akin to kingship than we see it today. The placard over Christ's head "Inri" wasn't put there to mock him, "king of the Jews" was the charge. (Aslan, 2013)

Bro Dad posted:

most american universities are all about this poo poo so gl

for example i had to fill out a literal privilege checklist for an anthro class i took last year

Anthro 201: part of the Furry Studies Major core curriculum.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

the trump tutelage posted:

nomadologique is just spoutin' some Nietzsche you morans

hashtag activism makes a lot of sense viewed through a slave morality lens, particularly Nietzsche's claim that slave morality does not seek to conquer the "master" but to reduce the master to the slave's level. it explains why there is often a simultaneous recognition that the problems are systemic, and yet a demand that those self-same systems inexplicably produce the results they want (i.e. "reform").

note that Occupy Wall Street wasn't the revolutionary anti-capitalist Leftist movement the anti-OWS protesters claimed it was. it was a benign protest with the utopian demand that Capitalism resolve its internal contradictions, because apparently Capitalism is good and can be even better. or, #BLM protesters demanding the same justice system that methodically kills and imprisons them to work in their favor and prosecute offending officers. #BLM sometimes goes further and demands the same extrajudicial punishment be meted out to cops as is meted out to their own community. for example, after Sammy Yatim was killed, #BLM Toronto demanded the police force and mayor essentially waive the officer's presumption of innocence in the name of "justice". that isn't a demand for reform or justice, it's a demand that an "oppressor" become an "oppressed".

a campus activist that relies on the administration to accommodate their demands is complicit in the power structure that produced the problem in the first place lmao

that seems like a gross simplification

power structures don't exist in a vacuum, there are different axes of power and an abuse in one axis can be challenged on another axis, that's what we see with protests and the like. people feel mistreated in one power structure so they establish or co-opt another to apply pressure.

what is your proposed solution? dissolution of all hierarchy and order? are you an anarchist, because they always have adorably naive beliefs about how working to change the extant power structures is doomed to failure and if only people would engage in self-policing, then all would be fine!!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Fascism is inevitable. Our only hope is to try and make it the cool fascism with stylish uniforms and lots of outdoor exercise, not the lame kind where people are sent to re-education camps for using the wrong pronouns and failing to check their microprivileges.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Applewhite posted:

Fascism is inevitable. Our only hope is to try and make it the cool fascism with stylish uniforms and lots of outdoor exercise, not the lame kind where people are sent to re-education camps for using the wrong pronouns and failing to check their microprivileges.

At least the internet made a cool logo for them

Totalizator fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 2, 2015

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I can totally get behind things like " tw: description of rape/description of death" and that sort of thing to protect someone from genuinely suffering from PTSD from being unwell because of it. But there's too many people who are expecting their environment to change around them and it's just not going to happen. There are certain songs, activities and other things that "trigger" me in a sense but I learned how to remove myself from a situation or cope when I'm feeling uncomfortable. For one, when my partner and I would be rough housing or whatever and he pushed me playfully, I had to just gently tell him that was something that was really dredging up some uncomfortable stuff. I set my boundary. That's what we need, not the expectation that everything is going to change but how to set our own boundaries and limits.
You know, like common sense would dictate.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 2, 2015

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Toriori posted:

I can totally get behind things like " tw: description of rape/description of death" and that sort of thing to protect someone from genuinely suffering from PTSD from being unwell because of it. But there's too many people who are expecting their environment to change around them and it's just not going to happen. There are certain songs, activities and other things that "trigger" me in a sense but I learned how to remove myself from a situation or cope when I'm feeling uncomfortable. For one, when my partner and I would be rough housing or whatever and he pushed me playfully, I had to just gently tell him that was something that was really dredging up some uncomfortable stuff. I set my boundary. That's what we need, not the expectation that everything is going to change but how to set our own boundaries and limits.
You know, like common sense would dictate.

Thats completely ok and normal for an adult to do in real life but college students arent adults and college isnt real life and college is a place where boundaries should be pushed and assumptions questioned and ideas challenged and comfort levels exited through exposure to new thoughts and people and things because this is how learning works and this is how personal growth works too and all this trigger bullshit not only cripples this process at practical levels but in a larger sense is implying that all of these things are bad, which is bullshit, bc they are good and so is learning to be uncomfortable with things and dealing with it with dignity and class

Moltke
May 13, 2009
It's fine to set boundaries, but not ok to demand that everyone preemptively cater to individual (not generalizable) boundaries, or to hold persons personally accountable for crossing individual boundaries that have not been articulated to them previously.

Moltke fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 2, 2015

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

whoflungpoop posted:

millenials should be sent to Camp Verdun for desensitization education in a proper WWI horror scenario and subjected to sleepless weeks of unending shelling in a rat and lice infested hole in the ground with a plank over the top with infrequent/dangerous trips outside to retrieve the mangled bodies of friends, or to go potty in shell craters filled with a greasy mixture of poisoned water and half-liquefied corpses of other friends, and then taken out and interviewed by a qualified professional to verify that they are, indeed, literally shaking

Oh my... This is beautiful to envision in my mind.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Poetic Justice posted:

Trigger warnings are supposed to be used in a professional therapy settings, by professionals.

funny how the folks who yell most loudly about appropriation are the number one appropriaters

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

Yeah that sounds really "cool" hurr durr you loving retard.

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010

whoflungpoop posted:

Yes please. I think everyone should be required to serve in the military and have the baby beaten out of them. God we have gotten soft and feeble if this tumblr poo poo is even half real. We need a real enemy at our border. Israel has it right. Nobody there has time to worry about privilege checking. They are too busy wondering when the shells are gonna fall.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Weener Beater posted:

Yes please. I think everyone should be required to serve in the military and have the baby beaten out of them. God we have gotten soft and feeble if this tumblr poo poo is even half real. We need a real enemy at our border. Israel has it right. Nobody there has time to worry about privilege checking. They are too busy wondering when the shells are gonna fall.

More like when they get to drop the next bomb on some palestinian kids for fun :peanut:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Weener Beater posted:

go move to Israel if you like how it is over there

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

whoflungpoop posted:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I find it hard to believe these people are anywhere near enough levers of power to spread fascism across the land. They're sheltered students that are already overreaching and will probably be slapped down in the next few months.

I mean come on, they're in student organisations (lol), connected to academia (lolol), and usually in poo poo universities at that. They have an undue influence over some institutions that tbh seem to have an undue influence over their students to begin with (I can't even imagine my university holding mandatory propaganda classes for any ideology, :laffo:). This is not where leading politicians or megacorporate hotshots tend to come from.

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer

ashgromnies posted:

that seems like a gross simplification

power structures don't exist in a vacuum, there are different axes of power and an abuse in one axis can be challenged on another axis, that's what we see with protests and the like. people feel mistreated in one power structure so they establish or co-opt another to apply pressure.

what is your proposed solution? dissolution of all hierarchy and order? are you an anarchist, because they always have adorably naive beliefs about how working to change the extant power structures is doomed to failure and if only people would engage in self-policing, then all would be fine!!

Anarchism isn't the only option. Breaking out of a slave morality would require a rejection of the current system, whether through complete secession from it, the establishment of a new system, or at least a radical reformulation of the current system where the oppressed group seizes significant power so that it's no longer susceptible to oppression. Like trump tutelage said, rather than trying to seize power for themselves, movements like OWS and BLM are primarily just antagonizing their oppressors and trying drag them down to the level of the oppressed, thereby tacitly supporting the ongoing social structures which enable this sort of oppression to begin with. The Civil Rights movement is a relatively modern example of an alternative approach where an oppressed group fought for and secured rights and power for itself, and I think that's part of the reason why it's been so much more effective than these more recent efforts.

Not saying there's a workable solution to be found here, necessarily, but I think it's disingenuous to dichotomize Nietzschean slave morality with anarchism. It's a useful concept for understanding the internal mechanics of some of these modern social justice movements, and I do think it has an impact on their ability to effect lasting change.

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

I find it hard to believe these people are anywhere near enough levers of power to spread fascism across the land. They're sheltered students that are already overreaching and will probably be slapped down in the next few months.

I mean come on, they're in student organisations (lol), connected to academia (lolol), and usually in poo poo universities at that. They have an undue influence over some institutions that tbh seem to have an undue influence over their students to begin with (I can't even imagine my university holding mandatory propaganda classes for any ideology, :laffo:). This is not where leading politicians or megacorporate hotshots tend to come from.

Yeah, you're pretty much right; I think it's really unlikely that these groups are going to achieve anything of consequence. The issue is that they're poisoning the well for all future efforts at societal and economic reform, much of which is badly needed. You remember how the US took a hard swing left after 8 years of the Dubya administration and its attendant jingoism? The same poo poo could very well happen in response to all of this high-profile hysteria from the left. The pendulum swings harder as the media highlights shriller voices.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Strategic Tea posted:

you say that now, but there was a time in the 1900s when joseph stalin was just a web-toed fedora atheist working as a clerk in a Moscow weather office

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

whoflungpoop posted:

they'd just look at their phones the whole time...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

whoflungpoop posted:

you first, wfp

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

http://thefederalist.com/2015/12/02/congratulations-student-protesters-you-just-got-used/

The long and short: its a ploy for more positions, salary and tenure for leftist diversity staff.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

*post 1000 word diatribe on how the torah, fascist support in greece, and poverty in subsaharan africa are all intrinsically related*

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
stupid millennials are too soft! I was regularly given a good beat when I misbehaved and I turned out fine! -drinks a liter of scotch a night, flies into explosive, violent fits when someone disagrees with them-

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

symbolic posted:

you first, wfp

I'm putting you on the front lines.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Microwaves Mom posted:

I'm putting you on the front lines.
shut up mom

*flips u off while listening to 3 Day's Grace

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Toriori posted:

stupid millennials are too soft! I was regularly given a good beat when I misbehaved and I turned out fine! -drinks a liter of scotch a night, flies into explosive, violent fits when someone disagrees with them-
gbs.txt

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

symbolic posted:

you first, wfp

i dont have to thats only for penis havers

all i have to do is work at the munitions factory and write to u and cry when i find out u died while attacking a machine gun nest with a deagle and an airsoft gun and find comfort in the arms of ur best friend

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

whoflungpoop posted:

Nope no impacts on political order whatsoever *tears 1000+ years of pages of european history from constantine and decius to divine right of kings and Anglican church, chews until moist, blows up ur rear end with a straw*

The Roman empire persisted for another five centuries and arguably influenced Christianity as much as Christianity influenced it. Things don't get really interesting again until the Reformation revitalizes Western Christianity (both Protestant and Catholic) and provokes some very interesting social and political developments. But Jesus' message wasn't one of political reform.

Thanks for reading this awful poo poo. *tips fedora*

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Applewhite posted:

The penalty for blasphemy under Roman law was not crucifixion. Crucifixion was reserved for revolutionaries and other political criminals. Jesus was crucified for his messianic aspirations. "Messiah" at the time being something more akin to kingship than we see it today. The placard over Christ's head "Inri" wasn't put there to mock him, "king of the Jews" was the charge. (Aslan, 2013)

Anthro 201: part of the Furry Studies Major core curriculum.

Pilate handed him off to the Sanhedrin, who found him guilty of claiming to be the Son of God (major no-no) and then they fobbed him back onto the Romans for the actual nailin'. Romans didn't give a poo poo about religion at that point, except when it riled up the local hicks.

I've wasted my life.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
SJWs are basically Hippies 2.0 and they'll swing hard to the right in about 10-20 years, just like their forebears

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Ugh this war camp boiled rat is the worst, my IBS is worse now than it's ever been! #Warcamp #IBS #FirstWorldProblems

Can you pleeeaaaasseee at least empty the poop bucket when ur done. makes me uncomfortable. #Warcamp #Poopbucket

Got yelled at by drill sgt for asking to rename no-man's land to no-person's land...whatever. #Warcamp #Feminism

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Seriously, my dad went to college in the early 1970s and he said students were yelling at the faculty and senior staff for being fascists and poo poo all the time. They usually got away with it, too: some of the people being yelled at definitely resented the students, but they didn't officially discipline them because Free Speech. Only heckling invited speakers could actually get you in trouble - again, Free Speech.

Also hippies blew poo poo up sometimes. You don't see SJWs doing that, do you?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pththya-lyi posted:

Also hippies blew poo poo up sometimes. You don't see SJWs doing that, do you?

no but i'm told they have no problem killing

two cakes at once

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Pththya-lyi posted:

SJWs are basically Hippies 2.0 and they'll swing hard to the right in about 10-20 years, just like their forebears

They'll also be extremely bitter about all time and energy they spent trying to change things, and start bad-mouthing the people and causes they supported and accuse them of not recognizing or appreciating their personal contributions 10-20 years earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agag posted:

Pilate handed him off to the Sanhedrin, who found him guilty of claiming to be the Son of God (major no-no) and then they fobbed him back onto the Romans for the actual nailin'. Romans didn't give a poo poo about religion at that point, except when it riled up the local hicks.

I've wasted my life.

Is there any non-Biblical evidence of the whole Sanhedrin cajoling Pilate into the crucifixion story? I don't think it's too farfetched that the Romans would have been a little execution happy right around 30 AD; the Jews were habitually causing trouble for Imperial occupation and Pilate's tenure as prefect was marked by pretty rough relations with the natives (he was hella tone-deaf to their monotheistic sensibilities and, according to Josephus, was in the habit of beating and murdering them when they complained). It strikes me as somewhat unlikely that the Sanhedrin would have been in a position to dictate to him who to crucify, and I don't know that Pilate would have thought twice about killing a fellow who went around calling himself the king of a dissatisfied, revolt-prone subject population.

Agag posted:

The Roman empire persisted for another five centuries and arguably influenced Christianity as much as Christianity influenced it. Things don't get really interesting again until the Reformation revitalizes Western Christianity (both Protestant and Catholic) and provokes some very interesting social and political developments. But Jesus' message wasn't one of political reform

Also, Christianity totally changed the political structure of the empire over time. The introduction of Christianity led to a whole new sphere of political pissing matches over orthodoxy that pretty consistently weakened the empire from the time of Constantine's death on. Ambrose of Milan was arguably the most important political actor of his time, and he could never have risen to prominence in the pagan empire. You're totally right about Rome influencing Christianity, though; they're really the ones who made it into the religion we recognize today. Early Christianity was a bunch of weirdos sitting on pillars in the desert and all sorts of other crazy poo poo.

• Locked thread