Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

itt let's speculate about what those subhuman homonculus ffffffucking conservatives would, like, totally say, if they were talking to me which they're not since I got disinvited from Thanksgiving dinner

Weren't you pissing up a storm about "lovely sarcasm" earlier? Blatant hypocrisy seems to be regrettably common on this issue. People will stake out an absolutist position on access to guns being essential for self-defense and then say it's okay to ban felons and "mentally unwell" people from having them. People will declare that being pro on gun control is solely because of culture warring, while being anti is inherently reasonable as a position. People will talk up their desire to have guns for self-defense, but although this requires a willingness to kill, they curiously rage about the supposed genocidal desires of pro-control people.

In the end, this is somewhat understandable if we take anti-control posts as propaganda, in some cases as subtle as the reframing I just used, in other cases much more crude. But of course we are not allowed to treat propaganda as propaganda in this subforum, so you can have it mostly your own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

you're the Elliot Rodger failson who's been spewing out death threats nonstop and there's 'people' somewhere who say the President is a lizard from outer space, if you need to come up with an imaginary friend with worse ideas than yours to be airily dismissive of it is time for you to face the brutal truth that you are the dumbest actual person you can find and start desperately agreeing with anyone you hear

Who are you talking to?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

twodot posted:

Are you saying reports of abuse aren't grounds for suspicion of a crime? Like I'm not sure I'm even parsing this post correctly.

CPS agencies must investigate regardless of the credibility of the report or reporter. Should this be a general practice?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

JerryLee posted:

It sounds to me like they're saying that it's too easy for a report to trigger a search/visit even when there's no reasonable cause to believe that a crime has occurred based on the "report." In other words, that there aren't enough safeguards in the system to prevent it being used to harass people with spurious allegations.

Which is a fair criticism, but it's hard to completely eliminate the possibility of spurious reports being acted on at first and still have a system that's effective, so I think it's reasonable to settle for a system that corrects itself as soon as the false suspicions are discovered and prevents them from reoccurring to the same person.

(And to bring it back on topic, the same is reasonable in the case of guns.)

PE:FB, kinda.

Nah, the system is actually fine the way it is for CPS.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

Maybe we should get people with a phobia of weapons the counseling they need.

Priority one for treating PTSD induced by a mass shooting: getting the patient over any fear of guns.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

you're really dumb and angry and upping the angry isn't doing anything to make you sound less dumb

Okay, now switch sides and argue for that guy's position.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

i hope you're not still trying to suggest that everyone doing this could make this thread worse

I think you have me confused with someone else, but stay on topic you stupid Gen-Xer. You need to argue for increased gun control now. Then I'll argue against it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The obsession with jurisprudence in discussions about firearms reminds me of similar levels of pettiness in legal codes throughout history. "Do not boil a kid goat in its mother's milk" becoming a prohibition on cheeseburgers, deducting the fine for minor injuries from the fine for killing someone's bees if you got stung, the exception of the clergy... But sadly, nobody at all seems to recognize any ridiculousness in it. People seem to take it entirely seriously, this endless argument.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

I think it's cool that the canned response to pointing out that a proposed law might not be very effective is a sarcastic "WELL I GUESS WE SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY LAWS THEN HUH"

This is also a canned sarcastic response.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Belief in natural rights and veneration of the Constitution are tied up in the same thing- the belief of the United States of America as Aquinas's "shining city on a hill". It is God who protects the good people of the USA from the latte-drinking, Che-shirt-wearing, hair-dyed vapid slores, betas, and queermos trying to undermine the fabric of society. This belief is in many ways a positive. It keeps genuine fascism suppressed. But it's fairly repressive, of course.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
In any currently plausible insurrectionist situation, pro-gun people would mostly be on the side of the government, and any fighting would be as paramilitary death squads.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
TFR/GBS were foolish to buy avatars one at a time. Now I know what the latest talking point will be!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I was sorta wondering how the entire liberal establishment simultaneously did a 180 from the no-fly list being insane authoritarian garbage to being common sense that should be applied to civil rights but if y'all can look at a shaky 5% polling lead in 'more laws good?' and see a popular mandate to rewrite the Constitution being subverted by the scheming NRA Elders of Zion I guess that answers that.

So how often do you jack it to the scenes from Yes, Minister about manipulating polls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I want to be a leftist but I also want to disarm the proletariat can anyone tell me how to resolve these competing ideas of mine?

Post with a joyous heart and without smallminded spite.

• Locked thread