Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
hhhhhh

Turns out us who walk at a stressed out "get outta my way, tardfuck" level may live longer than those fuckers that always seem to be walking in groups of 3 or more wide whenever you're in a hurry

The research was carried out with pensioners but they think it applies to people of all ages in general

quote:

University of Pittsburgh researchers recently crunched data from nearly 35,000 subjects 65 years or older and discovered that each increase in gait speed of 0.1 meters/second correlated with a 12 percent decrease in the risk of death. Among women 75 to 84, for example, 92 percent of the fastest walkers (traveling at 1.4 meters/second or faster) lived another ten years, while only 35 percent of the slowest walkers (shuffling at 0.4 meters/second or slower) survived until then.

"The reason speed reflects vitality is that so many organs and systems are involved in how we move—the heart, the lungs, the muscles, the joints, the bones, the brain," says study author Stephanie Studenski, MD. She speculates that gait speed may one day be a low-tech way for physicians to assess their patients: A slow pace could indicate a deeper problem and inspire patients to improve modifiable health factors, like blood pressure, diet, and fitness.

Spread the message or whatever and let's rid the world of the stumbling phone toting zombies that infest our major cities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

AEMINAL posted:

hhhhhh

Turns out us who walk at a stressed out "get outta my way, tardfuck" level may live longer than those fuckers that always seem to be walking in groups of 3 or more wide whenever you're in a hurry

The research was carried out with pensioners but they think it applies to people of all ages in general

Spread the message or whatever and let's rid the world of the stumbling phone toting zombies that infest our major cities

good. slow walkers are a plague on this earth and it warms my heart to know they will expire more quickly

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
This is why I hate cities. People either running me over or lumbering and slow as gently caress. No moderate pacing to be found.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
zzzzzzzzz.... uh? oh, time to move my other leg... here i go... uggh

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Read the thread title and hoped that it meant slow drivers. :saddowns: Death to everyone who does 5 or more under the speed limit

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
This is cool because i am a slow walker and i want to die before age 50, or age 30 even.

Kindergarten Camp
Nov 27, 2015

good luck getting anywhere with any kind of speed with a cane.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Crazyeyes posted:

This is why I hate cities. People either running me over or lumbering and slow as gently caress. No moderate pacing to be found.

so move faster!

anyways that is good news, I walk around SF like a old NYC mad-man whose late to a business meeting. the worst is honestly fat bitches with their face glued to their cellphones waddling at a v slow pace in the middle of the sidewalk so you pretty much have to elbow them and get around them.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Cuckoo posted:

Read the thread title and hoped that it meant slow drivers. :saddowns: Death to everyone who does 5 or more under the speed limit

People that drive everywhere will probably die even sooner.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Cuckoo posted:

try taking a walk some time fatass

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I naturally/unconsciously outwalk everybody else so this sounds good to me.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

People constantly tell me "you walk so fast" and I hjave to mentally tell myself to slow down

I hope this means I will live to 2079 at an age of 90 years, minimum. I wanna see how bad poo poo gets for the next generations, Lmao

Also gently caress holograms

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
this is such a retarded study

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

University of Pittsburgh lol

Is that even a real thing

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
I think the entire city of 'Pittsburgh' is fictional.
Prove me wrong.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Crazyeyes posted:

People that drive everywhere will probably die even sooner.

This is true. Having done both methods of travel for years, I feel safer on a subway car in NYC with a deranged gibbering hobo than I do on most of Florida's highways.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

ghlbtsk posted:

I think the entire city of 'Pittsburgh' is fictional.
Prove me wrong.

Wjhooa

I cannot... :wth:

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
The quicker pace is not a magic cure dumbshits. Old people move slowly bacause they are sick and weak. Slower = closer to death. Goddamned what a lovely study.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
maybe they just kill the slow old guy

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Chicks are gonna dig my vitality

*powerwalks into work meeting covered in sweat*

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Indy posted:

The quicker pace is not a magic cure dumbshits. Old people move slowly bacause they are sick and weak. Slower = closer to death. Goddamned what a lovely study.

the study confirmed that gait speed is an indicator of overall health, or at least thats what i got from the OP, confirming your folk logic theory, so not a lovely study imo

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
My normal pace is like 3 to 3.5mph, I'm like a salmon fighting my way upstream every time I go to the airport.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

EX250 Type R posted:

the study confirmed that gait speed is an indicator of overall health, or at least thats what i got from the OP, confirming your folk logic theory, so not a lovely study imo

well yeah but even just moving at an old age, slow or not, is good too. i work near chinatown so there's sometimes really old as gently caress chinese men/women who crawl through crosswalks at the slowest pace possible but they're like a gazillion years old so its good that they are even moving at all.

even then there are millenials with their face stuck in their phone that still waddle slower than them with no situational awareness at all

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Walking fast in my fedora

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cuckoo posted:

same but i thought he meant retards

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

bunnielab posted:

My normal pace is like 3 to 3.5mph, I'm like a salmon fighting my way upstream every time I go to the airport.
You're lucky if you only encounter slow walkers at the airport. I'm fighting my way upstream everywhere I go.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I hope against hope that everyone dies sooner rather than later, OP

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Don Tacorleone posted:

University of Pittsburgh lol

Is that even a real thing

Dan "The Man" Marino went to Pitt.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
"get outta my way, tardfuck" -me, the human version of the noble and virile salmon

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

EX250 Type R posted:

It's pretty bad. It's like that study that suggested fat people are healthier because as a group they have lower mortality rates than the skinny.

No, it's because some of those skinny people are that way because they're sick, so that group has higher mortality. A study that shows that people who cant move quickly die more is pretty worthless.

You would see the same thing correlating pretty much any thing a unhealthy person can't do with mortality.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Death moves at a steady pace so these findings should come as a surprise to no-one.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

are you the guy who sprints from class to class with his backpack jiggling

if so, are you
A. asian
B. autistic
C. both

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Famethrowa posted:

are you the guy who sprints from class to class with his backpack jiggling

if so, are you
A. asian
B. autistic
C. both

I don't understand why people feel like running when they're late. Shoulda given yourself more time loser!

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

In the future fast walking will be interpreted by drones as the sign that you are a criminal or terrorist. Goodbye skullmeats.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
The people you are referring to are called hipsters. And they walk slowly 'cause they've got nowhere to be, man...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I move quickly, and I am constantly irritated by people with no situational awareness who are moving slow and/or blocking me from being able to move past them whether it is driving a car or just walking around in a grocery store.

I seriously think the richer slash more well off you are the worse you are with that poo poo (on average ofc) just because the richer a person is the less likely it is that they give a poo poo about other people. Go to Oceanside, everyone is polite and quick. Go to Cardiff, everyone is milling around like a fuckwit oblivious to their surroundings. Just the other day I got hit because some retard started backing up and just kept backing up until they hit my parked car because apparently mirrors are not important.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
gently caress people who stand around at choke points and force me to walk into the street to get around them. That's my two cents.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Hmmmhh yea, the middle of a busy shopping center is a great place to suddenly stop walking and have a conversation with my friends while people try to get around us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Psycho Society posted:

It's pretty bad. It's like that study that suggested fat people are healthier because as a group they have lower mortality rates than the skinny.

No, it's because some of those skinny people are that way because they're sick, so that group has higher mortality. A study that shows that people who cant move quickly die more is pretty worthless.

You would see the same thing correlating pretty much any thing a unhealthy person can't do with mortality.

the study confirms that gait speed is a good indicator of overall health, i dont see how that makes it a bad study, on the contrary, it supports he folk logic 'common sense' relationship your purport

• Locked thread