Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

von Metternich posted:

I've played Agricola a few times and absolutely hated it, which is why I was wary about LOD, but I can't figure out why I feel differently about it. Unless it's the theme, but I'm trying to find another reason that makes me less shallow.
to be honest i loving hated agricola the first few times i play it, but i like the 'dont make your family loving starve' aspect of it

LOD is certainly easier to get into and there isnt a way to gently caress yourself because you made bad choices at the start of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Ralp posted:

that's a good point I guess, dominion and love letter don't have any sort of board. but still I would put them squarely in the "designer board game" category. "Card games" to me means playable with a 52-card deck (or two, pinochle). euchre hearts poker etc. I hate euchre btw.

Poker is great, when my friends have a poker night we usually do dealer's choice until we get tired of it and then everyone buys in to a no-limit Holdem tournament.

What about 52 pickup? Can that be played with designer board game cards?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

*turning to friend in horrific torture chair while insane psychopath feasts on one of you surgically removed limbs*

Jesse: Dude! You got a message carved into your forehead!

Chester: So do you, dude! Dude, what does my carving say?

Jesse: "Sweet!" What about mine?

Chester: "Dude!" What does mine say?

Chester: "Dude!" But what does mine say?

Jesse: "S - wee - t!" What about mine?

Hahahaha

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Ralp posted:

Poker is great, when my friends have a poker night we usually do dealer's choice until we get tired of it and then everyone buys in to a no-limit Holdem tournament.

Lifehack: instead of a tournament, just play a cash game instead! That way everyone can play through the whole game, even if they go all in and lose.

Poker is great, but my first love will always be bridge.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cribbage is king and always will be for me. I would also add up in smoke to Plutonis' weed movie list.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

*turning to friend in horrific torture chair while insane psychopath feasts on one of you surgically removed limbs*

Jesse: Dude! You got a message carved into your forehead!

Chester: So do you, dude! Dude, what does my carving say?

Chester: "Dude!" But what does mine say?

Jesse: "S - wee - t!" What about mine?

After a kidnapping they can't remember comes a nightmare they'll never forget.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
What if you don't have any friends? Asking for a friend.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ragg posted:

meet complete strangers in a public group, it might or might not be a horrible experience

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Ragg posted:

God said "here's your future,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRJOQyBJg30

it's gonna rain"

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

1: Super Troopers
2: Grandma's boy
3: Dude where's my car
4: Jay and Silent Bob Strike back
5: Pineapple Express

Your Highness is v good and was rated perfectly by Famitsu

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

my friend says there's a new star wars board game thats fun

Your friend is probably talking about this:

They only called it Risk to draw on brand recognition (because Star Wars isn't a strong enough brand to make sales??) this game has very little in common with Risk

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I own all the card games in the op and they are excellent but there is one game that I keep going back to and I know this will sound hosed up but hear me out.

It's this:

We were hanging out at a diner with a friend of mine who'd been away for a year and he pulled this out and we were all like what, monopoly sucks why would a cheap cash in version be any better and he was like trust.

We played like five games of it in a row. After everybody was getting up to leave he hands me the deck and says here you keep it, I'll go buy another copy. He had already done this three times, and since then I've been doing the same thing and it always plays out the same way.

It's like all the fun parts of monopoly, the scheming and the muscling other players and backalley deals and poo poo but none of the tedium. The longest game I ever had went for twenty minutes, and that was with six people.

It's five bucks and they sell it everywhere, go out and play it yourself and tell me I'm wrong.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

if you play monopoly and play to the actual packed in rules its over in like 40 minutes

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

RandomFerret posted:

I own all the card games in the op and they are excellent but there is one game that I keep going back to and I know this will sound hosed up but hear me out.

It's this:

We were hanging out at a diner with a friend of mine who'd been away for a year and he pulled this out and we were all like what, monopoly sucks why would a cheap cash in version be any better and he was like trust.

We played like five games of it in a row. After everybody was getting up to leave he hands me the deck and says here you keep it, I'll go buy another copy. He had already done this three times, and since then I've been doing the same thing and it always plays out the same way.

It's like all the fun parts of monopoly, the scheming and the muscling other players and backalley deals and poo poo but none of the tedium. The longest game I ever had went for twenty minutes, and that was with six people.

It's five bucks and they sell it everywhere, go out and play it yourself and tell me I'm wrong.
this looks pretty cool actually

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

if you play monopoly and play to the actual packed in rules its over in like 40 minutes

I've played computer monopoly that enforced all the standard rules and automatically moved the pieces and handled money, and it took 2 hours at the minimum

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Monopoly is supposed to end when someone flips their poo poo and storms off.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like euchre the most.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's the simplest trick taking game. Check out bridge if you like trick taking

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

In Training posted:

I like euchre the most.

I didn't think anyone outside of Michigan played euchre.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

RandomFerret posted:

It's this:

Monopoly Deal is legit a lot of fun and even I hate monopoly. It's a good travel/timewaster game too like Coup or Loveletters. I've had some fun "Just Say No" playouts where someone tried to use the monopoly buster card on me since I was winning but I had stockpiled a bunch of no cards, but they did too, so we ended up using like 5 no cards back and forth and I came out unscathed.

Monopoly would prolly be a lot more fun if it had similar cards that let you force trade/steal properties or seize monopolies instead of ending up in 2 hour gridlocks where everyone is just waiting for it to end with the inevitable conclusion.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ralp posted:

Here are some other games I know firsthand are good, or at least trust to be good, but I don't own. I'm not sorry if my descriptions are inaccurate.
  • Valley of the Kings - The only other good deckbuilder.

Hey ralp, I also submit Puzzle Strike as another good deckbuilder. Check out this epic strategy infographic:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Good news: My copy of Combat Commander came in yesterday.

Bad news: My GF is not a fan of it, does not like the randomness. (She is hardcore euros all the way. At least we can play Kanban and Food Chain Magnate.)

Great news: There's a VASSAL module for Combat Commander.

Here's Combat Commander in action.

The Germans are assaulting a Russsian-held building in hex H3. Meanwhile, a lone Russian officer attempts to make do with a a suppressed squad. If this melee goes poorly for the Russians it could mean that they lose control over objective 5, which is usually the most important objective on the map.

It's a card-driven wargame with variable objectives at a squad level, set in world war II. The base gets you the three most popular forces from an american perspective, the Americans, the Germans, and the Russians. Turns go by blazingly quick, with each side picking cards from their hand and playing it to activate a unit. Which normally would mean that all units can only be activated one at a time, but officers can allow you to make cards activate multiple units at the same time.

A+ stuff. Only for people who like heavier games and don't mind a little bit of chaotic randomness in their games. If you've ever played X-COM, this feels much more like the tactical side of that than the X-COM board game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I have all the combat commander games but I hardly get to play them

Also I've played fields of fire and now I can never go back

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Bad news: My GF is not a fan of it, does not like the randomness. (She is hardcore euros all the way. At least we can play Kanban and Food Chain Magnate.)

The Germans are assaulting a Russsian-held building in hex H3. Meanwhile, a lone Russian officer attempts to make do with a a suppressed squad. If this melee goes poorly for the Russians it could mean that they lose control over objective 5, which is usually the most important objective on the map.

It's a card-driven wargame with variable objectives at a squad level, set in world war II. The base gets you the three most popular forces from an american perspective, the Americans, the Germans, and the Russians. Turns go by blazingly quick, with each side picking cards from their hand and playing it to activate a unit. Which normally would mean that all units can only be activated one at a time, but officers can allow you to make cards activate multiple units at the same time.

A+ stuff. Only for people who like heavier games and don't mind a little bit of chaotic randomness in their games. If you've ever played X-COM, this feels much more like the tactical side of that than the X-COM board game.

I want to play this game so badly

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
VASSAL my bro. The module isn't on TwiliStrug's level of polish, but it does most things right. (Turn your volume down though)

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Impermanent posted:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

war gaming/grognard games is probably the best side of board gaming and theres loads of cool poo poo out recently

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

4outof5 posted:

God said "here's your future,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRJOQyBJg30

it's gonna rain"

But only in the Northern Monsoon Zone.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

cool way to track weather: play a card sometimes and it has effects
bad way to track weather: keep track of separate weather zones that are differentiated by the tiniest dotted line and there are like 12 of them

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Discworld Ankh-Morpork game is actually really good. Space Alert owns but it’s dense and I still haven’t managed to bully my moron friends into playing past the really long tutorial

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Discworld Ankh-Morpork game is actually really good. Space Alert owns but it’s dense and I still haven’t managed to bully my moron friends into playing past the really long tutorial
i play space alert twice a year and i wish i could play it more :(

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh the other game I have that I forgot to put in the op is Tragedy Looper, I've run it three times and played it once. Running it is like DMing a murder mystery except the DM has to follow specific rules while trying to hide his abilities from the players. It's not my favorite game but I like it and everyone I've run it for loved it, which actually surprises me. I will probably play/run it a bunch more this weekend, I want to get really familiar with it and write a tragedy set because this game is really well-suited to modification. It's also the first game I've ever seen that seems bearable to play-by-post.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like Shadow Hunters, its a Japanese traitor game. Its pretty anime.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It takes longer to explain then to actually play. I kinda think Space Alert is a better game to just jump into and fail, as long as all your friends are cool with zany failure antics like Roborally or arkham horror.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Effectronica posted:

I didn't think anyone outside of Michigan played euchre.

i play euchre a ton but i live in Indiana so close enough

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ralp posted:

Oh the other game I have that I forgot to put in the op is Tragedy Looper, I've run it three times and played it once. Running it is like DMing a murder mystery except the DM has to follow specific rules while trying to hide his abilities from the players. It's not my favorite game but I like it and everyone I've run it for loved it, which actually surprises me. I will probably play/run it a bunch more this weekend, I want to get really familiar with it and write a tragedy set because this game is really well-suited to modification. It's also the first game I've ever seen that seems bearable to play-by-post.

I need to get together to play this more.. it's good but stressful as the mastermind.

I've also got Mysterium--haven't played it a whole lot yet but it's fun from what I did play. It's like Dixit (same people so the art is very nice), except refined and put into a co-op deduction Clue-like game where one person plays as Mastermind/ghost and gives out clues to help people guess who/where/what. Supposedly if you ever get tired of the default cards, you can add your Dixit cards to the stack too to use as clues which sounds neat as hell.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

i liked mysterium to a point, the end game is really weak and in the harder difficulties it is almost impossible to do anything apart from just playing random cards that are tangentially related to what you are trying to describe

it does not consign dixit to the dumpster of history

Rauthane
Dec 23, 2001
goat!

StashAugustine posted:

i play euchre a ton but i live in Indiana so close enough

It's pretty big in Ohio too, at least in the northwest. Must be a tri-state area thing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's the Midwest family game of choice I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Rauthane posted:

It's pretty big in Ohio too, at least in the northwest. Must be a tri-state area thing.

Condolences for living in Ohio.

Risk: Legacy is actually a Cool and Good (maybe the only good) version of Risk, imo

• Locked thread