Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Risk legacy is pretty cool, also futurisiko but that was only available in italy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tekopo posted:

Risk legacy is pretty cool, also futurisiko but that was only available in italy

Is futurisko at all like Risk 2210? With generals, cards you can buy that do stuff, the moon and undersea combat plus everything is limited to 5 turns?

Risk 2210 and Godstorm which is close to it except fantasy and magic based are cool.
2210 has the "Some territories are randomly useless/can't be occupied" aspect at the start plus with the moon and ocean spaces there's no Australia bunker.

Godstorm has some of the same stuff but has two cool unique things: Atlantis is the "easily defended bottle neck" region but it can be sunk instantly killing everyone in it. Also it has an underworld map worth decent points that you can only compete in with your dead dudes, so even folks losing hard on the main map can make a comeback/own hell.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

not completely, no, but I think 2210 cribbed some of the stuff in it, I played it loads when I was young and it was cool thanks to card play and the different units
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12956/futurisiko

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I'm really loving SU&SD's top 50 games ever list. Dead of Winter- a perfect marriage of theme and mechanics, is number 18. I also love their overview of Imperial Assault. A game so well designed that the Imperial player had to start intentionally making bad decisions to keep things interesting. Never change, Quinns. :allears:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Imperial Assault sounds good, is it? I will crush u between my beautiful thighs and together we will give birth to the finest children .

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I haven't played it yet. I've heard it's much improved over Descent 2E, which in our experience was kind of a trainwreck balance-wise. A friend of mine is in a campaign of ImpAss and he said that it still has balance issues but they're not as bad.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think the thing I hate most about Dead of Winter, is the name Dead of Winter. Because Dead of Winter should be the subtitle of the board game I am creating, The Grey: The Movie Board Game: Dead of Winter

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

thats a lot of hate for an american civil war wargame

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Someone bought me this avatar, but one of my family members (one of the really good ones) bought me Dead of Winter so I actually own a copy lol. It's still in shrink, but I'm going to play it with them some day. I hear there is an app that makes the crossroads cards less bad and I'm going to try and make the best of it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tekopo posted:

thats a lot of hate for an american civil war wargame

I really hate the civil war, because it pisses me off that they can't use that as the subtitle of the upcoming Captain America movie, Captain America: Civil War

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here's these cards to compare, and here's what I started working on

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ralp posted:

:eyepop:

cool, but where the gently caress is garak?!

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tekopo posted:

:eyepop:

cool, but where the gently caress is garak?!

Ralp fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 10, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ralp posted:

:golfclap:
this is a much better theme for Tragedy Looper than Anime

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't know poo poo about tragedy looper but I want to help with this project

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Got some good wargames played last weekend, triumph & tragedy and empire of the sun, both cool

also doing well in the goon dungeon lords pbp :getin: dungeon lords owns, get if/play it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

should i get lords or petz first

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

i started with petz and its more forgiving/less death spirally

you can gently caress up, but the level of difficulty in petz is something that YOU decide, not something the game forces on you, because you can decide how many pets you want to keep etc, in dungeon lords, you dont get to decide that and the game is hard regardless

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
girlfrendz' parents bought me Tig & Euph for christmas. Anything I should know before laying some tile?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Impermanent posted:

girlfrendz' parents bought me Tig & Euph for christmas. Anything I should know before laying some tile?
ABC

Always
Be
Conflicting

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

also dont play with the mindset 'this is my kingdom, and this is his kingdom'

go for my philosophy, 'this is my kingdom, and this temporarily isnt my kingdom, but soon will be'

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Pax Pamir comin' in on Friday :woop:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tekopo posted:

I have all the combat commander games but I hardly get to play them

Also I've played fields of fire and now I can never go back

yes you are tainted now

im kinda sadbrains right now because there's three cool bored game stores i shop from, where
- the first is like the only place stroring weird-rear end niche games like eklunds or poo poo from kickstarter
- the other one has an lcg i collect very cheap AND it has it at all (since the local publisher bailed on it. which is a funny story i might write about sometime later)
- the third is a wargame shop, with wargames and gmt counter trays, both of which are as good as jesus

so i can never stock up enough poo poo at a single one to get free shipping

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Flying today with my favorite holiday party game, cash and guns

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there are too many great board games to play them all. what a dilemma!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ralp posted:

Have you played 1960? It's like a simpler Twilight Struggle, it's my favorite board game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Have you played 1960? It's like a simpler Twilight Struggle, it's my favorite board game.

ive only got to play it three or four times but its pretty great, i love the political capital mechanic

my brother and i got to show it off to my grandmother and get color commentary about what it was like voting in the 1960 election

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think it might be better balanced than TS but I haven't played either a ton.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have 1960, 1989, and Twilight Struggle. Good games to play with mom

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ralp posted:

i hope you dont like books, the situation there is even more dire

with a concerned effort i think it would be possible to play every board game (assuming you could compile a complete list!). Tom Vasel is likely close

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm going to be trying seven wonders, pandemic and machi koro for the first time this weekend, i think

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
sometimes i think about the pallets of licensed poo poo boardgames aimed at kids and wonder if there are any hidden gems among all the roll to move

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it might be better balanced than TS but I haven't played either a ton.
I think 1960 swings towards Kennedy, winning as Nixon is tough. Once you get into TS I feel it is more balanced esp with the extra cards. 1960 is a good intro to cdgs though and I recommend it

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I haven't played a lot of 1960, admittedly, but it felt like Twilight Struggle with all the tension removed.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

no, and without learning anything about it, is it this by any chance:

someone posted this image in the old thread and I love it lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
wesley van allen seems like a good newb character, but eugene beaumont is a min-maxer's dream

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ralp posted:

no, and without learning anything about it, is it this by any chance:

someone posted this image in the old thread and I love it lol
No, that's different. 1960 is Twilight Struggle for the Nixon-Kenney election. You play on a map of the U.S.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

I haven't played a lot of 1960, admittedly, but it felt like Twilight Struggle with all the tension removed.

it lacks some of the tension since enemy events are less disastrous and theres no defcon track but i really like the way it resolves 'die rolls'

also maybe we werent picking up on the proper strategy but it seems like states swing really fast

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Yo, long time no see. Also, lmao.

• Locked thread