Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/11/19/home-built-m11-submachine-guns-seized-australia/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/04/04/australian-motorcycle-gang-diy-firearms-surface/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LeoMarr posted:

It's cute that you didn't even read the post and only saw pictures.

This gun was found along with other homemade firearms in the cell of two Celle prison inmates on November 15, 1984. The weapons had been made in the prison’s metal workshop. They were loaded with pieces of steel and match-heads.

Sorry, they actually constructed MULTIPLE guns.

Whoa, some dude 30+ years ago made a makeshift weapon in the prison shop. Surely this is relevant to literally anything at all.

edit: haha just noticed the Hooked on Phonics hotlink, keep those hot takes coming

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LeoMarr posted:

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/i-made-an-untraceable-ar-15-ghost-gun/

Also, requires a drop-in trigger kit and bam you have a fully automatic firearm. Why don't you google the facts beforehand

I understand that it is possible, but why is it virtually never done by criminals? Obviously it's mostly related to "most murders are not premeditated by people with access to a machine shop," but what about those that are premeditated?

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-simple-truth-about-gun-control

quote:

As I wrote last January, the central insight of the modern study of criminal violence is that all crime—even the horrific violent crimes of assault and rape—is at some level opportunistic. Building a low annoying wall against them is almost as effective as building a high impenetrable one. This is the key concept of Franklin Zimring’s amazing work on crime in New York; everyone said that, given the social pressures, the slum pathologies, the profits to be made in drug dealing, the ascending levels of despair, that there was no hope of changing the ever-growing cycle of violence. The right wing insisted that this generation of predators would give way to a new generation of super-predators.

What the New York Police Department found out, through empirical experience and better organization, was that making crime even a little bit harder made it much, much rarer. This is undeniably true of property crime, and common sense and evidence tells you that this is also true even of crimes committed by crazy people (to use the plain English the subject deserves). Those who hold themselves together enough to be capable of killing anyone are subject to the same rules of opportunity as sane people. Even madmen need opportunities to display their madness, and behave in different ways depending on the possibilities at hand. Demand an extraordinary degree of determination and organization from someone intent on committing a violent act, and the odds that the violent act will take place are radically reduced, in many cases to zero.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Radbot posted:

Whoa, some dude 30+ years ago made a makeshift weapon in the prison shop. Surely this is relevant to literally anything at all.

Australian mass shooting happened 20 years ago surely this is relevant to literally anything at all.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LeoMarr posted:

Australian mass shooting happened 20 years ago surely this is relevant to literally anything at all.

I agree that the mass shooting that lead to Australian gun control is relevant to a conversation about gun control.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tezzor posted:

I understand that it is possible, but why is it virtually never done by criminals? Obviously it's mostly related to "most murders are not premeditated by people with access to a machine shop," but what about those that are premeditated?

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-simple-truth-about-gun-control

I built my own AR-15, bought my own lower and assembled the rest. it took less than an hour. It would have taken less time to put a fully automatic select fire trigger assembly because they come preassembled.

Milling an 80% took 15 minutes and I bought a dremel from Goodwill for $10.

Can someone explain to me in their own words how they believe a firearm is made, because if you really think you need a machine shop to build a firearm then you are foolish.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LeoMarr posted:

I built my own AR-15, bought my own lower and assembled the rest. it took less than an hour. It would have taken less time to put a fully automatic select fire trigger assembly because they come preassembled.

You seem to have difficulty answering the question. Why does almost nobody do this before committing crimes? I understand that you were determined to do it because you are a gun fanboy who wanted a neat toy (thanks for admitting to breaking federal law without being asked btw, when ancient demon "Obama" bursts from his skinsuit this will be very handy) but why do other people not do this?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tezzor posted:

You seem to have difficulty answering the question. Why does almost nobody do this before committing crimes? I understand that you were determined to do it because you are a gun fanboy who wanted a neat toy (thanks for admitting to breaking federal law without being asked btw, when ancient demon "Obama" bursts from his skinsuit this will be very handy) but why do other people not do this?

Lol you think it's a felony to manufacture firearms you are literally retarded

With certain exceptions, and subject to any state law that might apply, as long as an individual is not prohibited from possessing a firearm, he or she can make a firearm for personal use. If an individual wants to manufacture and sell firearms, he or she is required to obtain a license, and mark each firearm manufactured in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92. [18 U.S.C. 923(i), 26 U.S.C. 5822]

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LeoMarr posted:

Here's a question for everyone:

Why can we not ban knifes?

Because they're far less dangerous than guns, and useful for an enormous variety of important and innocent day-to-day tasks?

Let's ask Israel, where terrorist attacks in the heart of Jerusalem are being carried out with knives, thanks to the restrictive gun control measures which virtually ban Palestinians and Arab-Israelis from having guns. Apparently, Palestinians seem to feel that building homemade guns in their basement is actually pretty hard after all, because they're not doing it. It's not like the "oh they just don't have a gun culture" excuse holds up, either, because the attackers clearly want guns - that's why their first victim is typically someone who is openly carrying a gun, so that they can steal the gun and use it to shoot more people. If guns are such a great deterrent, and if guns are so easy to build in your own home, then why is it that Palestinian attackers in East Jerusalem would rather attack an armed man to steal the gun out of his hands, instead of simply building their own gun out of plumbing supplies in the safety of their own basement?

There is one simple counterpoint to the "well what if they 3D print a pistol or assemble a shotgun out of poo poo they found in a construction site dumpster" - the fact that nobody ever does it as anything more than a proof of concept. You'd think that if it were really so easy, people would be doing it more often for real use, even if only out of hobbyism or thrift. The fact that real gun companies haven't been put out of business by 3D printers and plumbing supply stores suggests that either it's harder than it looks, or the homemade guns are actually such total garbage that even the thriftiest gun hobbyist and the most desperate criminal can't stand to call them "weapons". Why does anyone pay hundreds of dollars for a gun and subject themselves to various state and federal restrictions in the first place, if it's so trivially easy to build their own?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LeoMarr posted:

Lol you think it's a felony to manufacture firearms you are literally retarded

With certain exceptions, and subject to any state law that might apply, as long as an individual is not prohibited from possessing a firearm, he or she can make a firearm for personal use. If an individual wants to manufacture and sell firearms, he or she is required to obtain a license, and mark each firearm manufactured in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92. [18 U.S.C. 923(i), 26 U.S.C. 5822]

I think it is illegal to modify a firearm to make it fully automatic, which is what I thought we were talking about. I don't really know what "milling an 80%" is because I have hobbies that revolve around emotional health.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Dunno if its been posted yet but here's a cool blog that highlights improvised guns recovered by police forces around the world, which some people may find interesting and topical. They run an interesting gambit from "barely functional, cobbled together single-shot deathtraps" to "surprisingly sophisticated and well-machined fully automatic machine pistols" https://homemadeguns.wordpress.com/

A lot of the really crazy stuff is from Brazilian favelas, like this absurd hex-barrel shotgun

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tezzor posted:

I think it is illegal to modify a firearm to make it fully automatic, which is what I thought we were talking about. I don't really know what "milling an 80%" is because I have hobbies that revolve around emotional health.

Also I never actually said I assembled a fully automatic firearm. But your emotional health obviously trumps the need for reading comprehension.

Milling an 80% = assembling a fully automatic weapon, gotcha.

LeoMarr posted:

Can someone explain to me in their own words how they believe a firearm is made, because if you really think you need a machine shop to build a firearm then you are foolish.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LeoMarr posted:

Also I never actually said I assembled a fully automatic firearm. But your emotional health obviously trumps the need for reading comprehension.

Milling an 80% = assembling a fully automatic weapon, gotcha.

Why are you admitting to gun ownership on the internet when we are but one or two irrelevant emotionally manipulative piles of dead seven year olds away from The Man kicking down your door and dragging you off to the internment camps? Stay safe

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
In some ways, gun control in the U.S. feels like trying to close Pandora's Box. It might've been possible before so many guns were stockpiled and in the supply of the general population as well as the development of the arms-industrial complex and major special interest groups such as the NRA, but the cat is out of the bag and almost impossible to get back in now.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://news.vice.com/article/despite-firearm-restrictions-gun-violence-kills-five-people-every-hour-in-brazil

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LeoMarr posted:

If it's so simple what exactly is your fear? If your guns get taken away just macguyver up a new one out of parts you didn't make yourself.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Who What Now posted:

If it's so simple what exactly is your fear? If your guns get taken away just macguyver up a new one out of parts you didn't make yourself.

We should ban cars to stop global emissions, I mean what's your fear? Just build one yourself.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LeoMarr posted:

We should ban cars to stop global emissions, I mean what's your fear? Just build one yourself.

But building a car is expensive and time consuming, while apparently building a gun is cheap and trivial.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Tezzor posted:

But building a car is expensive and time consuming, while apparently building a gun is cheap and trivial.

I think you'll find that once in 1986 someone did in fact build their own car and used it in a crime in Brazil. Ergo, no car regulations are necessary.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
All the ridiculous lies ITT about the simplicity of making a functional and effective firearm (without purchasing kits) do not change the fact that no one actually does it outside of an extreme few notable exceptions, and rarer still are criminals manufacturing firearms for the purpose of committing crime in places where there are firearm restrictions. Hell, even simple IEDs like pipebombs are rare in use and require little in the way of knowledge and tools.

It is a dumb thing to bring up.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Doomsayer posted:

I think you'll find that once in 1986 someone did in fact build their own car and used it in a crime in Brazil. Ergo, no car regulations are necessary.

Do you have real content to contribute or do you just spew the same revolving 3 arguments. I haven't even mentioned my opinion on regulation.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

seiferguy posted:

If you want your guns, just be honest with us: you want it because you like guns, and you see events like Sandy Hook as an acceptable sacrifice to keep your guns.
I’m pretty up-front about this. I see mass shootings as a problem of the same magnitude as shark attacks, voter fraud, and being hit by lightning. I understand that people may have a more visceral emotional reaction to people being shot than people being struck by lightning, but I don’t find an emotional reaction to be a valid basis for regulating something, whether than be guns, gay marriage, or mosque building.

seiferguy posted:

And guess what? I have to take driver's education, pass a licensing test, have insurance, and get my license renewed every five years, and my car registration renewed every year in order to drive! Yes, cars are dangerous, and should be regulated. The primary reason for a car is to transport people / items. The primary reason for a gun is to kill people, and yet they're somehow less regulated than cars.
You are required to submit a bunch of paperwork because you want to operate your car on public roads. You can build a coal-powered dragster with no seatbelts and let a guy with a suspended license drive it around, and your state DoT generally won’t say a word as long as you keep it on private property and aren’t engaged in a commercial enterprise. Most public activity with firearms, like hunting and concealed carry, is already licensed and regulated.

The “guns are designed for killing” argument is a ridiculous argument, because by that logic, commercial rocket launches and private ownership of RADAR and a host of other technologies should be illegal. The designer’s intent for a thing is wholly irrelevant; if a person stabs someone with a knife designed to be used in the finest kitchens in Europe, it doesn’t make it any less dangerous than one designed for camping, or a bayonet.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
For something actually germane:

I have been reading some literature on the NICS background checks and some various state laws. Under the existing system, it appears that at the federal level, the FBI can place a hold to delay a purchase without initial due process, and many states have a "subversive group" clause which does not seem that different from the idea of the no fly list, as well as denial at judicial discretion without conviction or existing indictment. It seems that the government position on "due process" and gun purchases is that they are allowed to delay your purchase as long as you have a route to appeal without it being a rights violation.

Is this accurate, or are there other checks and oversights of the various open ended catch-all capabilities that exist?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

walgreenslatino posted:

A lot of the really crazy stuff is from Brazilian favelas, like this absurd hex-barrel shotgun

I see someone was inspired by the old Nock volley gun.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LeoMarr posted:

We should definitely ban cars with high emissions, slowly phasing them out of existence, yes.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dead Reckoning posted:

You are required to submit a bunch of paperwork because you want to operate your car on public roads. You can build a coal-powered dragster with no seatbelts and let a guy with a suspended license drive it around, and your state DoT generally won’t say a word as long as you keep it on private property and aren’t engaged in a commercial enterprise.

This is such a fun argument I see pretty frequently. "You don't need a license or registration to operate a car, if you exclusively use it on private property, the way virtually nobody ever does in real life." I suppose it's part and parcel of the general gun advocate argument philosophy of "this thing which is true in virtually every case is in fact false because I can find a counterexample somewhere on the planet earth," cf.: prisoners don't have guns vs. look three prisoners had guns in the last 30 years; America had 350+ mass shootings this year vs. well Norway had one three years ago; America had 350+ mass shootings this year vs. nuh uh because 2 of those were with a pellet gun; Australia has 5% the murder by firearm rate of America vs. neener neener some criminals there get firearms sometimes.

quote:

The “guns are designed for killing” argument is a ridiculous argument, because by that logic, commercial rocket launches and private ownership of RADAR and a host of other technologies should be illegal. The designer’s intent for a thing is wholly irrelevant; if a person stabs someone with a knife designed to be used in the finest kitchens in Europe, it doesn’t make it any less dangerous than one designed for camping, or a bayonet.

Agreed, what matters isn't the designer's original intent, but rather the effects of this technology on the real world.

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 8, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I’m pretty up-front about this. I see mass shootings as a problem of the same magnitude as shark attacks, voter fraud, and being hit by lightning. I understand that people may have a more visceral emotional reaction to people being shot than people being struck by lightning, but I don’t find an emotional reaction to be a valid basis for regulating something, whether than be guns, gay marriage, or mosque building.

Haha yeah, lightning strikes are rare so you save money by not having a lightning rod on your house right? Or at least we should repeal that from building codes since lightning safety is obviously made-up by hysterical liberals to encroach upon the sovereignty of your property.

Also US lightning deaths in all of 2015: 26, in other words the last three weeks of mass shootings.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 8, 2015

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I can't wait for all the hand-wringing bullshit after someone successfully weaponizes a drone they bought off Amazon and kills a dozen people with it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Haha yeah, lightning strikes are rare so you save money by not having a lightning rod on your house right? Or at least we should repeal that from building codes since lightning safety is obviously made-up by hysterical liberals to encroach upon the sovereignty of your property.

Also US lightning deaths in all of 2015: 26, in other words the last three weeks of mass shootings.
I honestly don't know what side you think you're arguing here: lightning strikes are incredibly rare, but that isn't a sound basis for banning lightning rods on private buildings.

Also, nice job showing you're blatantly trying to juice the stats. The three week period including MH17 was well above average for air traffic fatalities, but no one seriously tired to claim that "nearly 100 people per week have died on commercial jets in the last three weeks" because most people aren't stupid enough to fall for sample size gimmicks. BTW, which metric for "mass shooting" are we using? Because Mother Jones' 37 killed YTD compares pretty well with the 27 from lightning.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What is the best way to curb the large number of occurrences of firearm violence if any form of gun control is a no go? "mental health" gets cited as absolutely, positively, the number 1 reason gun violence happens but without any acknowledgement of the fact that people with poor "mental health" had easy access to firearms

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Wheeee posted:

I can't wait for all the hand-wringing bullshit after someone successfully weaponizes a drone they bought off Amazon and kills a dozen people with it.

There is already legislation for drone regulation in the works because people have endangered other people's lives with them. (And I'm not talking about the US drone program, dohohoh)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Do people find it impossible to accept that someone could be of rational mind and still murder/massacre people? Why do you have to be mentally ill to commit murder?

If that were the case, every single case of murder would be disqualified by reason of insanity, yet clearly that's not the case. There's also, of course, soldiers who have to kill as per orders and yet aren't mentally ill when they commit the act.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

muike posted:

What is the best way to curb the large number of occurrences of firearm violence if any form of gun control is a no go? "mental health" gets cited as absolutely, positively, the number 1 reason gun violence happens but without any acknowledgement of the fact that people with poor "mental health" had easy access to firearms
Well, the real problem is that you're looking at the intersecting problems of suicide, gang violence, and mental illness and assuming that the common factor (guns) in some of those problems is the causal factor in all of them. Suicide prevention could probably put the biggest dent in gun deaths in America, and it could even have a broader impact because it wouldn't have to be method specific.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Do people find it impossible to accept that someone could be of rational mind and still murder/massacre people? Why do you have to be mentally ill to commit murder?
If you accept that someone can kill a whole bunch of people extra-legally for perfectly good reasons, it's turtles all the way down.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 8, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I didn't say that they are good reasons, just contesting why someone has to be cuckoo in order to be able to kill. You could, I dunno, be in a hostage situation where you're forced to kill someone or be killed yourself.

Sword and Sceptre
Jan 24, 2011

by vyelkin

Dead Reckoning posted:

I honestly don't know what side you think you're arguing here: lightning strikes are incredibly rare, but that isn't a sound basis for banning lightning rods on private buildings.

Also, nice job showing you're blatantly trying to juice the stats. The three week period including MH17 was well above average for air traffic fatalities, but no one seriously tired to claim that "nearly 100 people per week have died on commercial jets in the last three weeks" because most people aren't stupid enough to fall for sample size gimmicks. BTW, which metric for "mass shooting" are we using? Because Mother Jones' 37 killed YTD compares pretty well with the 27 from lightning.

I too would like to live in a world where no one had guns and murdered each other but lets be realistic here that will never happen. Is gun control a hill worth dying on, is using you're limited political capital on this issue a smart choice? We have old people freezing to death and infants going hungry but lets take away bubbas AR.

Sword and Sceptre fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 8, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I didn't say that they are good reasons, just contesting why someone has to be cuckoo in order to be able to kill. You could, I dunno, be in a hostage situation where you're forced to kill someone or be killed yourself.
Funny enough, I'm pretty sure the "kill non-threatening others or an outside actor will kill you" defense has been considered and found to not be a defense to murder. I don't think that, if you need a kidney transplant, you are allowed to murder organ donors in order to speed your progress up the transplant list.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Oh okay so we should support sound precautions that save lives even from something rare like lightning strikes, great.

I like how you complained that I pointed out the last three weeks of mass shootings equalled the number of lightning strike deaths all year because last week was anomalous, and then you counter with "no according to the most restrictive definition of mass shooting possible in which you can shoot any number of people but it's not a mass shooting if only three of them die, it's only been 37 all year*"

*Data through November 23rd :roflolmao:

See if you exclude the largest mass shooting and a couple others, 2015 looks pretty good what's the problem.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you ignore 90% of the times where 4+ people were shot in a single incident, I think we'll see that

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 8, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Funny enough, I'm pretty sure the "kill non-threatening others or an outside actor will kill you" defense has been considered and found to not be a defense to murder. I don't think that, if you need a kidney transplant, you are allowed to murder organ donors in order to speed your progress up the transplant list.

Not trying to derail the topic further, but I was thinking of a scenario like, let's say you're abducted by ISIS abroad with a few other journalists. Blindfolds come off a few hours later, you're with the other journalists and ISIS guys point guns at your heads. They say, convert and kill the guy next to you to prove your faith. If you don't, you die. You comply and kill the guy next to you, but you are rescued mid-scenario by US Special Forces and flown back home. The situation is described back home, now what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You're a loving murderer is what.

E: I mean, you can argue that U.S. courts don't have jurisdiction in Iraq/Syria, but you up and knowingly murdered a dude who posed no threat to you or anyone else.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 8, 2015

• Locked thread