Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Farewell Firefox OS smartphones. Mozilla today announced an end to its smartphone experiment, and said that it would stop developing and selling Firefox OS smartphones. It will continue to experiment on how it might work on other connected devices and Internet of Things networks.

The announcement was made earlier today at Mozilla’s developer event in Orlando, “Mozlando“, and several people were tweeting the basics of the news. Now Mozilla has provided us with a full statement from Ari Jaaksi, Mozilla’s SVP of Connected Devices.

“We are proud of the benefits Firefox OS added to the Web platform and will continue to experiment with the user experience across connected devices. We will build everything we do as a genuine open source project, focused on user experience first and build tools to enable the ecosystem to grow.

Firefox OS proved the flexibility of the Web, scaling from low-end smartphones all the way up to HD TVs. However, we weren’t able to offer the best user experience possible and so we will stop offering Firefox OS smartphones through carrier channels.

We’ll share more on our work and new experiments across connected devices soon.”

Firefox OS was first unveiled in 2013, with the aim of targeting the developing world and late adopters with low-cost handsets.

To differentiate from Android and iOS, Mozilla and its carrier partners focused on a web-first platform, with no native and only web apps. Sales, however, were always poor and the devices themselves failed to ignite a lot of consumer interest, and a number of OEMs cornered the market with a flood of cheap handsets. In a business that depends on economies of scale, it was a failure.

Mozilla has been on a streamlining track lately. Last week it announced that it would be looking for alternative homes for its Thunderbird email and chat client. The aim is for the company to focus more on its strongest and core products and reputation. Today the company also unveiled a new ad blocker, playing on its existing approach to privacy and stance on user tracking and cookies.

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

rip to a thing I didn't know about and will never miss

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yard salad posted:

rip to a thing I didn't know about and will never miss

way to be uninformed

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
is mozilla getting ready to shut down entirely or something?

they talked about spinning off thunderbird like a week ago

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

akadajet posted:

Today the company also unveiled a new ad blocker, playing on its existing approach to privacy and stance on user tracking and cookies.

Mitchell Baker posted:

But over the years many people have come to expect and want their software to do things on their behalf, to take note of what one has done before and do something useful with it.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

is mozilla getting ready to shut down entirely or something?

they talked about spinning off thunderbird like a week ago

they are streamlining in an effort to be completely focused on turning firefox into a poor copy of chrome

as a firefox and thunderbird user, :rip: mozilla and their slow slide into obsolescence

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SO DEMANDING posted:

they are streamlining in an effort to be completely focused on turning firefox into a poor copy of chrome

as a firefox and thunderbird user, :rip: mozilla and their slow slide into obsolescence

considering you can literally install chrome extensions in the Opera browser, from the chrome store, it looks like all browsers are becoming chrome

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the what

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
apparently people use them in south america?

i tried one once it was pretty slow

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

SO DEMANDING posted:

i used firefox and thunderbird up until the point i bought a mac and noticed that safari and mail.app weren't that bad

rip

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

:rip: Mozilla, you had a cool browser from 2004 - 2008.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

bradzilla posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bradzilla posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bradzilla posted:

ya :rip:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

remember when mozilla picked a massive homophobe (and developer of poo poo-tier lang js) as its ceo?

and then he got ousted cause he was a massive homophobe and everyone cried cause sjws robbed a good man of his job?

lmbo

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Condiv posted:

remember when mozilla picked a massive homophobe (and developer of poo poo-tier lang js) as its ceo?

and then he got ousted cause he was a massive homophobe and everyone cried cause sjws robbed a good man of his job?

lmbo

I don't, link?

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2336520/mozilla-defends-ceo-over-homophobic-claims

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
before firefox phone was released there were same priced low end android phones which people actually bought so ff never even had a market

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
sales pitch "its like android but fewer features and apps and the software is slower"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

and the software is slower

Than android? Impressive.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Phoenixan posted:

i used firefox up until the point i bought a mac and noticed that safari and mail.app weren't that bad

rip

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

before firefox phone was released there were same priced low end android phones which people actually bought so ff never even had a market

apparently you don't value freedom

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
dam.. firefox phone ftw. now the only epic phone os that remains is sailfish OS and jolla(?)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im sensing a void in the power sphere. opera must make a phone OS

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
jolla at me, boy

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
lmao i missed the review from ars last year

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/10/testing-a-35-firefox-os-phone-how-bad-could-it-be/

The body is large for the 3.5-inch display, which means about 40 percent of my Cloud FX front is bezel. The 480×320 display reminds us of a first-generation LCD, as the only angle that results in a decent picture is a perfect 90 degree angle. Horizontal viewing angles are OK, but move a few degrees off-center vertically, and the screen starts to invert. At about 20 degrees off perpendicular, the screen inverts completely, looking like negative film.

It's often hard to tell what color something really is, since the colors change so easily, depending on the screen angle. It wasn't until after taking screenshots for this article and viewing them on a better LCD that we had a sense of what the software looked like. The poor vertical viewing angles get even weirder in landscape mode, where the screen has a strange "shimmery" appearance, and you can never get the left side of the screen to look the same as the right side. Trying to play a game in landscape mode actually gave us a bit of a headache, since any small movement would change the colors.

The keyboard doesn't support multitouch, so you if press "Q" and "P" at the same time it splits the difference between the touch points and enters "Y."

We'd love to run some benchmarks but, sadly, a combination of incompatibility and crashtastic software means nothing works. You would think Firefox OS would have a killer browser that could easily run browser-based benchmarks, but they all crash.

Lacking any kind of real benchmark, our initial plan was to sit down with a stopwatch and record website load times, but my Cloud FX performance is so wildly inconsistent that we couldn't even get an average load time for the same site. Load times would frequently swing 1000 percent on the same website, regardless of the state of the browser cache. Ars would load in a few seconds one time and the next would take over a minute. The whole OS is like this; sometimes folders open to a blank screen, show a loading spinner, and never populate.

My Cloud FX has a 2MP rear camera that feels like it's pushing the definition of what can be legally called a "camera." The output from my Cloud FX is more like a vague recollection of the colors and, if you're lucky, a shape or two. Every image we captured looked like a washed-out, muddy watercolor painting, and that's if we could see the image at all. My Cloud FX needs a lot of light to work. Moderately lit scenes were frequently turned into pitch-black nothingness.

My Cloud FX whiffs on a lot of the basics. It's slow—too slow for Firefox OS. Scrolling on a webpage doesn't really work. It can't keep time without a data connection. The alarm isn't reliable. Background e-mail checks never run. Typing is an exercise in frustration, which limits what you're willing to do with the device. There isn't much left here to salvage.

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 9, 2015

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

quote:

The other really weird thing missing is any kind of battery backup for the time. If the phone loses power, the time and date gets reset, leaving it looking like an old VCR blinking "12:00."

:eyepop:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

why would a phone need to keep time with the battery pulled? as soon as it gets a cell signal or internet connection it pulls the time from that

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

apparently not firefox os

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

im sensing a void in the power sphere. opera must make a phone OS

i hope ur ready for redhat enterprise phone

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i hope ur ready for redhat enterprise phone

nice av

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

does anybody remember phoneblocks

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

:lol: :lol:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

aren't his parents now suing the city and school district for something ridiculous like $15 million?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

from their new home in qatar, yes

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

The_Franz posted:

aren't his parents now suing the city and school district for something ridiculous like $15 million?

just as any true american would :911:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ahmed should work on the Zybourne Clock next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

vodkat posted:

just as any true american would :911:

agreed

• Locked thread