Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, I need an opinion on this.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/everythings-exploding-monkees-casette-mix

I was thinking the cassette-style filter for that authentic vintage Monkees sound. Too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Reminder: you have four days...

TO LIVE

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Sitting this one out because a) I'm doing February Album Writing Month and b) "Funeralopolis" is loving epic and there's no way to improve on the original, what the hell was I thinking choosing it

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

Okay, I need an opinion on this.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/everythings-exploding-monkees-casette-mix

I was thinking the cassette-style filter for that authentic vintage Monkees sound. Too much?

Yeah, probably a bit too much. Kills the high end (which I guess is the point for vintage tape emulation), and the Vox could stand to be brought up. Like the track though!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Rightyo, I'll ease it back a bit. Thanks!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I dunno if this is gonna happen. I'll keep trying, but I haven't even gotten drums recorded yet.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
I'm right where I always am at this point in the contest...endlessly loving around with the vocals, trying to make them not sound like utter poo poo.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I re-upped mine with less tapey filter. Still a bit though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay y'all, it's V-day here so this is going up in a few hours. Get your things done, if you haven't already!

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
I will post mine first thing tomorrow

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hawklad posted:

I will post mine first thing tomorrow

It's already midnight on the east coast, therefore it IS first thing tomorrow.

Nah but seriously I'm in Oz so if you're really going to post it I'll hold off until I wake up tomorrow. That'll be tomorrow afternoon for you.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Got 'er done!

https://soundcloud.com/hawklad/seekanddestroy

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
poo poo's on!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764353

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hell yeah, everyone go vote for themselves

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
probably the only votes we're going to get :v:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
HELL YEAH so many of us tied for first place!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I voted, so much good stuff it was hard to choose. So I opted for what appeals to my rocker sensibilities!

I made it not a tie, sorry.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nh posted:

Here's Symphony of Destruction. It's long, but it's easy listening so you can just put it on and stop paying attention. I would've rather put a sax solo in the middle than a guitar solo, but it is what it is.

https://soundcloud.com/stepwisecliche/symphony-of-destruction-cover
Holy poo poo I love this. The snare drum is the only thing that distracts from the tune, and I don't know how I'd have fixed it. But drat. Great tune.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Thanks for listening! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Regarding the snare: It does seem a bit ostentatious in the mix, particularly compared to the other drums. A cut to the highs and track volume might do it. Maybe a tweak to the drum bus compression.

I want to fix it, but I'm terrified it will be a gateway tweak that will lead to other tweaks. :ohdear:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nh posted:

Thanks for listening! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Regarding the snare: It does seem a bit ostentatious in the mix, particularly compared to the other drums. A cut to the highs and track volume might do it. Maybe a tweak to the drum bus compression.

I want to fix it, but I'm terrified it will be a gateway tweak that will lead to other tweaks. :ohdear:
Oh it will.

It will.

And then, nine hours later, you'll stop, and go, "what the hell?"

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010
When is the final deadline? I've got an idea on a folk-y rendition of CRUSH KILL DESTROY by Gwar, but I have almost no free time.

e: my reading comprehension is trash. I'm still going to try to record it, maybe the thread won't be archived by the time I get around to doing it.

Fastball LIVE in concert fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 16, 2016

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Deathface posted:

When is the final deadline? I've got an idea on a folk-y rendition of CRUSH KILL DESTROY by Gwar, but I have almost no free time.

e: my reading comprehension is trash. I'm still going to try to record it, maybe the thread won't be archived by the time I get around to doing it.
we always want more people to contribute stuff. Keep an eye on this thread; as a leader emerges from the voting we start throwing around ideas for the next round, and then a link to THAT thread is posted in here.

NOT THAT I'LL WIN, but, my suggestion for this next round is going to be artists who have died in the past sixty days. Because goddamn there's a lot of them.

And, definitely calling Nasty Girl by Vanity 6 if that idea is chosen.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Ladies and gentleman, we have a tie. Now what?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Battle to the death?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I went ahead and posted my acceptance speech. That'll guarantee some backlash votes against me to break the tie.

But anyhooze, I'm fine conceding the win to NH for that awesome cover.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
See? It worked. There you go, NH wins.

Come on let's get going.

Next Round: Sludge 2-step polka.

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer

magnificent7 posted:

See? It worked.

Yes and no. I'd been following this thread because I enjoyed the last GBS contest but hadn't been paying too close attention, then when you posted that I thought I'd take a look. I was going to vote for yours since overall I like it better but decided to give them a second listen since nh gets points for doing a cover that differentiates more from the original and the line "you try to take its pulse before the head explodes" made me laugh so hard that I had to vote for him. So yeah unless there's more votes, it means that post of yours decided things by getting me to pay attention, even if I didn't follow your reverse psychology.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr Dracula posted:

Yes and no. I'd been following this thread because I enjoyed the last GBS contest but hadn't been paying too close attention, then when you posted that I thought I'd take a look. I was going to vote for yours since overall I like it better but decided to give them a second listen since nh gets points for doing a cover that differentiates more from the original and the line "you try to take its pulse before the head explodes" made me laugh so hard that I had to vote for him. So yeah unless there's more votes, it means that post of yours decided things by getting me to pay attention, even if I didn't follow your reverse psychology.
Wait, what? Hunh?

So confused. He's got 11, I've got 10. Done. Let's record music.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
nh start the thread already jeez it's been hours

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sanfod & Son vs. Mumford and Sons

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Songs In The Key Of Your Mom: diss tracks only

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Trump Trax: Nothing but Hip Hop boasting.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Sorry, guys. I've just come off a long weekend and have fallen off the map a little. I like mag7's idea of recent artist deaths. Deaths in the last two months, sixty days, in 2016. Something along those lines. Does anyone think this is too restrictive or have any more ideas? All the ideas? What are all the ideas?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nh posted:

Sorry, guys. I've just come off a long weekend and have fallen off the map a little. I like mag7's idea of recent artist deaths. Deaths in the last two months, sixty days, in 2016. Something along those lines. Does anyone think this is too restrictive or have any more ideas? All the ideas? What are all the ideas?

if there's a song we really like but the person is still alive, can we kill them?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Trig Discipline posted:

if there's a song we really like but the person is still alive, can we kill them?

Seconding this.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

nh posted:

Is there a recent musician death list available somewhere?

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Regarding 2016, I found one here. It's really not much to choose from. If you go back 60 days, you pulled Lemmy from Motorhead into the mix. However, if you look at 2015, there is a much wider variety, from STP to Sharon, Lois, and Bram.

Have we done a Rockstar with a theme about or referring to the devil?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nh posted:

Regarding 2016, I found one here. It's really not much to choose from. If you go back 60 days, you pulled Lemmy from Motorhead into the mix. However, if you look at 2015, there is a much wider variety, from STP to Sharon, Lois, and Bram.

Have we done a Rockstar with a theme about or referring to the devil?
I think we did one - I recorded Sympathy for the Devil for it, I think.

What about Irish songs, to coincide with St Patricks Day? Sooooo, that would mean commit and record and no extensions, but on the plus side, maybe the poll would get more than 50 votes.

Holy poo poo there's a lot of irish bands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_musical_groups

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Alright, I'm fine with that. While I'd love to have Rockstar 66: 6, I'm also okay with Rockstar LXVI: Gettin' Jiggy Wit It, Me Boyo. Should the deadline be on St. Patrick's Day? Is everyone okay with what's happening? What is going on, guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

nh posted:

Alright, I'm fine with that. While I'd love to have Rockstar 66: 6, I'm also okay with Rockstar LXVI: Gettin' Jiggy Wit It, Me Boyo. Should the deadline be on St. Patrick's Day? Is everyone okay with what's happening? What is going on, guys?

Yes.

e: Serious-post: Now that I'm past the first hell-week in my classes I've got time to actually do some music. I'd prefer the St. Paddy's theme, but I didn't finish my last entry so my opinion is worth roughly a fart in a tornado.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 23, 2016

• Locked thread