Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gagelion2
Dec 8, 2015

by Shine
it's crazy to me that anyone lives up there. seems like a place where you could really disappear if you wanted to. does anyone know anything cool about them that wouldn't be on wikipedia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
gently caress canada

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty sure there is nothing up there except polar bears.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Pretty sure there is nothing up there except polar bears.

eskimos, inuit, or as hp lovecraft referred to them, esquimaux

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That Robot posted:

eskimos, inuit, or as hp lovecraft referred to them, esquimaux

I don't believe they exist that far north.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Romes128 posted:

gently caress canada

Wow rude.

silly mane
Nov 26, 2004
i met a middle aged german dude at a hostel in uruguay about 3 weeks ago and he told me two cool things about the city of Yellowknife which is the capital of the Northwest Territories: one is that it is a decent sized city in the middle of nowhere that just kind of appears after you drive hours in the forest, and the second is that Japanese tourism is one of their biggest industries because there is a Japanese belief that children conceived under the aurora borealis will turn out to be gifted so a lot of Japanese people go there and gently caress outside lol

silly mane fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 12, 2015

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

its open season on the natives for serial killers right now

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
idk we don't really use them for anything except as a place to store our eskimos

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

silly mane posted:

i met a middle aged german dude at a hostel in uruguay about 3 weeks ago and he told me two cool things about the city of Yellowknife which is the capital of the Northwest Territories: one is that it is a decent sized city in the middle of nowhere

i think its only a decent sized city if you're comparing it to empty tundra

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

silly mane posted:

i met a middle aged german dude at a hostel in uruguay about 3 weeks ago and he told me two cool things about the city of Yellowknife which is the capital of the Northwest Territories: one is that it is a decent sized city in the middle of nowhere that just kind of appears after you drive hours in the forest, and the second is that Japanese tourism is one of their biggest industries because there is a Japanese belief that children conceived under the aurora borealis will turn out to be gifted so a lot of Japanese people go there and gently caress outside lol

Population is less than 20,000. That's more like a village.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

Vancouver alone has something like 6x the population of all 3 northern provinces combined, so yeah. It's just an ice-blasted hellscape of depressed drunk eskimos and poo poo

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

gonna be some prime real estate up north once the oceans rise and now habitable land is blasted by the sun

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
What do people do up there? Like... do the towns basically consist of a couple diners, a few bars, a few dudes who know how to do basic HVAC, electrical, plumbing, a grocery store, a hardware store, a school, and that's about it?

silly mane
Nov 26, 2004

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Population is less than 20,000. That's more like a village.

im gonna fuckin kill that german dude if i ever see him again for bullshitting me in thus way

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

Jesus Christ posted:

What do people do up there? Like... do the towns basically consist of a couple diners, a few bars, a few dudes who know how to do basic HVAC, electrical, plumbing, a grocery store, a hardware store, a school, and that's about it?

all their poo poo goes into a disposable bag and the trashman comes by to pick it up weekly because these people live in a literal frozen wasteland w/ no proper plumbing

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

silly mane posted:

im gonna fuckin kill that german dude if i ever see him again for bullshitting me in thus way

if you drive for 10 hours in any direction you won't hit another city 1/10th that size.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sorry, eh.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

gagelion2 posted:

it's crazy to me that anyone lives up there. seems like a place where you could really disappear if you wanted to. does anyone know anything cool about them that wouldn't be on wikipedia?

yeah personally id have Nunavut

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

Mariana Horchata posted:

yeah personally id have Nunavut

gently caress u

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Northern Canada has roads ? I assumed then went "eh gently caress it" and only checked once in a while to make sure the russians or some poo poo aren't invading.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
since i basically live in the northern territory of europe i'd say the 3 northern territories of canada are cool as gently caress, esp. during winter

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jesus Christ posted:

What do people do up there?
Meth to stay awake for 20 hour shifts at the derrick.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jesus Christ posted:

gently caress mooses

Or try to gently caress mooses

You know hard it is to try to gently caress a moose

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress is the plural of moose

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

One of my english teachers went to work in yellowknife, supposedly you get paid mad money because the cost of living is so high. That's my northern territories story hope you liked it.

Romes128 posted:

What the gently caress is the plural of moose

It's "moose". Come on, man. This is kindergarten stuff for crying out loud.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Odobenidae posted:

One of my english teachers went to work in yellowknife, supposedly you get paid mad money because the cost of living is so high. That's my northern territories story hope you liked it.

It's "moose". Come on, man. This is kindergarten stuff for crying out loud.

It should be meese

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
What's up with the united states and canada. Lol if you live there

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Romes128 posted:

It should be meese

Don't loving start this, you won't like where it goes.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
whats the deal with canada, i mean do they even want you to live there?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Odobenidae posted:

Don't loving start this, you won't like where it goes.

On the real tho, meese makes a lot more sense and sounds better.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
this thread, I'm having nunavut

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
There's a whole bunch of dry communities up there and booze goes for ridiculous amounts.

A 26 of something can go for 300 bucks, according to Macleans' and others. http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-end-of-the-dry-reserve/

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

It's not really that far North. A large number of Europeans live at those latitudes

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

kikkelivelho posted:

It's not really that far North. A large number of Europeans live at those latitudes

Proof northern Europeans are dumb as poo poo.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i live just below yellowknife

thank god for the gulf stream

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Romes128 posted:

Proof northern Europeans are dumb as poo poo.

nah man our climate is a lot warmer than canada

new york is maybe comparable to helsinki

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

gagelion2 posted:

haha people disappear up there all the time. (They've been murdered)

Also the plural of Moose is Moosi

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

That map made me realize that all of US is the South.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Canada? More like Canagay!

• Locked thread