Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

kikkelivelho posted:

It's not really that far North. A large number of Europeans live at those latitudes

Not surprised the trump supporter from Canada doesn't know poo poo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
they're too cold

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Lol @ americans who don't have a gulf stream. I guess Europe wins again

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

ArmZ posted:

Not surprised the trump supporter from Canada doesn't know poo poo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Stream

I'm actually Mongolian, but don't worry, I forgive you.

Roy posted:

Lol @ americans who don't have a gulf stream. I guess Europe wins again

It's working a little too well lately. It's Yule soon and no snow anywhere.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
whats this mongolian poo poo

is it some kind of a stupid meme or something

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
fun fact: eskimo is a Cree word meaning "blubber-eater" that was cooked up to insult the Inuit. we're literally using a slur from another tribe to refer to them.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Our northern territories are where Canadian children go when they reach the cusp of adulthood. The winners roam the tundra and return with moose flannel and a beard and the losers remain and huff gas from a bombardier forever

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Alabaster White posted:

Vancouver alone has something like 6x the population of all 3 northern provinces combined, so yeah. It's just an ice-blasted hellscape of depressed drunk eskimos and poo poo

Toronto alone has something like 4x the population of all of Vancouver, so yeah, it's just a rain blasted hellscape of people on rollerblades eating kale.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

silly mane posted:

i met a middle aged german dude at a hostel in uruguay about 3 weeks ago and he told me two cool things about the city of Yellowknife which is the capital of the Northwest Territories: one is that it is a decent sized city in the middle of nowhere that just kind of appears after you drive hours in the forest, and the second is that Japanese tourism is one of their biggest industries because there is a Japanese belief that children conceived under the aurora borealis will turn out to be gifted so a lot of Japanese people go there and gently caress outside lol

I wonder if the locals give then friendly advice that waiting until it's warm is actually the worst thing to do in yellow knife if you want to expose your bare rear end outside

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

silly mane posted:

i met a middle aged german dude at a hostel in uruguay about 3 weeks ago and he told me two cool things about the city of Yellowknife which is the capital of the Northwest Territories: one is that it is a decent sized city in the middle of nowhere that just kind of appears after you drive hours in the forest, and the second is that Japanese tourism is one of their biggest industries because there is a Japanese belief that children conceived under the aurora borealis will turn out to be gifted so a lot of Japanese people go there and gently caress outside lol

just for this reason there are alarm systems in lapland hotels to wake up japanese tourists when there are aurora borealis in the sky

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Alcohol is illegal in most of the communities up there. Warehouses for the alcohol permitted for some citizens and establishments is kept under guard. You can make over $200 for a bottle of Smirnoff.

Per capita the three territories lead Canada in rape, murder, alcoholism and assault.

People go missing/freeze to death all the time up there after drinking and wandering off.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Alcohol is illegal in most of the communities up there. Warehouses for the alcohol permitted for some citizens and establishments is kept under guard. You can make over $200 for a bottle of Smirnoff.

Per capita the three territories lead Canada in rape, murder, alcoholism and assault.

People go missing/freeze to death all the time up there after drinking and wandering off.

It's the Russia of Canada

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

Proof northern Europeans are dumb as poo poo.
Look at all the sea there isn't around the Northern Territories compared to Europe. Totally different climate.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
voting 1

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Saltin posted:

Toronto alone has something like 4x the population of all of Vancouver, so yeah, it's just a rain blasted hellscape of people on rollerblades eating kale.

Yeah but I'd rather live in Iqaluit than Toronto.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eox posted:

fun fact: eskimo is a Cree word meaning "blubber-eater" that was cooked up to insult the Inuit. we're literally using a slur from another tribe to refer to them.

It's a cooler name, same with Sioux.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

this is a cool thread, tell me more about the northern part of canada and blubber eater culture please

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Eox posted:

while that might be fun to tell people, it isn't a fact.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

wtf

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

kikkelivelho posted:

It's not really that far North. A large number of Europeans live at those latitudes

The difference is all those northern european cities are right beside the ocean to soak up all that sweet warm water. In canada it's just flat frozen tundra the whole way.

Anything past 600km north of the US border just becomes uninhabitable. I live 500

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

do they have accents like that movie fargo

fyi would rather live in the new democratic republic of south sudan than canada

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

i think its only a decent sized city if you're comparing it to empty tundra

This is all you need to know about Yellowknife.

e: why does that dude have a blue jackets jersey :cripes:

Halah fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 12, 2015

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Good. You're supposed to be living off the land up there anyway.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

gagelion2 posted:

it's crazy to me that anyone lives up there. seems like a place where you could really disappear if you wanted to. does anyone know anything cool about them that wouldn't be on wikipedia?

One of those territories contains the world's largest island inside of a lake inside of an island.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

silly mane posted:

this owns lol

cant you see an aurora in the way south of new zealand/australia tho. would prob be easier than flying to canadia???

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 12, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

silly mane posted:

Yellowknife is the capital of the Yukon Territory. :colbert:

That German dude was full of poo poo.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
canada should sell them to russia.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Methanar posted:

The difference is all those northern european cities are right beside the ocean to soak up all that sweet warm water. In canada it's just flat frozen tundra the whole way.

Anything past 600km north of the US border just becomes uninhabitable. I live 500

this is not quite accurate. murmansk is hell.

murmansk is obviously in russia.

gagelion2
Dec 8, 2015

by Shine

Retail Slave posted:

Yellowknife is the capital of the Yukon Territory. :colbert:

That German dude was full of poo poo.

No that's whitehorse

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

silly mane posted:

god drat id never actually looked into yellowknife it actually seems really cool and wanna live there now

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kikkelivelho posted:

That map made me realize that all of US is the South.

its a gradient

and honestly, you don't need to go as far as the north west territories to get to undeveloped cold wilderness. thats's most of canada, save for a thin film of settlements along the american boarder

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rutibex posted:

its a gradient

and honestly, you don't need to go as far as the north west territories to get to undeveloped cold wilderness. thats's most of canada, save for a thin film of settlements along the american boarder

Isn't something like 90% of Canada's population within 100 miles of the US border?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Retail Slave posted:

Isn't something like 90% of Canada's population within 100 miles of the US border?

yup, we dont use all that land, we just like to keep it in reserve in case we might need it one day. we actually have twice the land are of the Roman Empire at its height :canada:

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Retail Slave posted:

poo poo starts getting real weird the further north you go.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Everything has to be flown in. Vegetables, fruits and other necessities are subsidized by the government so they don't cost much more than they do down south, but stuff like potato chips cost an astronomical amount of money because of how expensive shipping stuff up there is.

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
It's where Santa Lives

gagelion2
Dec 8, 2015

by Shine
if/when trump starts rounding up undesirables into concentration camps, ill cross the border somewhere in vermont and start a new life in some frozen hellhole

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
If you read yellow knifes wiki page it saying that Japanese tourist make up most of the 100 million a year industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

gagelion2 posted:

if/when trump starts rounding up undesirables into concentration camps, ill cross the border somewhere in vermont and start a new life in some frozen hellhole

President Trump is gonna conquer Canada, you'll have to go south and try to find a way around the Mexican Wall.

• Locked thread