Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Carson Wentz from NDSU is getting a lot of buzz. Please tell me a QB from the MVC can go in the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I guess the Bills are probably going to overhaul their front 7 because Rex refuses to run anything but his scheme. Any good 3-4 linebackers/ends that figure to be available around the middle of the 1st?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Dropping 5 spots in the draft is a nothing cost to sweeping the Steelers this year. That said I was hopping Baltimore would end up with one of Bosa, Ramsey, or Treadwell as things stand today Treadwell is the only one who would likely be available at #8.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Parmesan Basil posted:

Carson Wentz from NDSU is getting a lot of buzz. Please tell me a QB from the MVC can go in the first.

I'm officially on the Wentz train. Combine is gonna be huge this year because there's a poo poo ton of QBs coming out this year and it feels like they all are iffy at the moment.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Are there any goddamned linebackers that are worth it that the Giants could possibly be in the position to take? I sort of don't want another season of an invisible linebacking corps.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Actually the Giants are very well positioned to land one of either Myles Jack UCLA or Jaylon Smith Notre Dame. Jack is still recovering from injury so there are those kinds of question marks but Smith is as near of a sure thing as you can find for the middle of your field. Dude hits real hard.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

C. Everett Koop posted:

Who's the top rated TE for the Lions to waste their first pick on.

Jake Butt.

e: Oh never mind, he's staying another season.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doltos posted:

I'm officially on the Wentz train. Combine is gonna be huge this year because there's a poo poo ton of QBs coming out this year and it feels like they all are iffy at the moment.

if I rooted for a different team I'd feel pretty good about my team taking a flyer on Jacoby Brissett.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Alaois posted:

Always take the weed guy, but never take the spice guy

Nkemdiche is going to be an interesting prospect to follow. Top recruit out of high school, who looked dominant at times, but would disappear for long stretches. Seems like he's someone who gets away more with physical tools than technique, which works in college, but gets exposed in the NFL. Has had off the field issues and his brothers are viewed as a bad influence. He seems to project well to LDE, UT, and 5-technique and has the ability to be strong against both the run and pass, but I think the questions are how well he can respond to coaching or whether he can stay out of trouble or not.

I could see him slide as low at top 15, but he's a top 5 talent and some team will take a chance on him. Teams like San Diego, Dallas, and Baltimore would be interesting since they are more established teams who had down years. I'd love to see what Zimmer could do with him, but I know that's not even close to realistic.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I think Butt should go 2, not 1.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

More Mizzou linemen for the Chiefs, please.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

More Mizzou linemen for the Chiefs, please.

lol and he was the pick we all hated at the time!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Aniki posted:

Nkemdiche is going to be an interesting prospect to follow. Top recruit out of high school, who looked dominant at times, but would disappear for long stretches. Seems like he's someone who gets away more with physical tools than technique, which works in college, but gets exposed in the NFL. Has had off the field issues and his brothers are viewed as a bad influence. He seems to project well to LDE, UT, and 5-technique and has the ability to be strong against both the run and pass, but I think the questions are how well he can respond to coaching or whether he can stay out of trouble or not.

I could see him slide as low at top 15, but he's a top 5 talent and some team will take a chance on him. Teams like San Diego, Dallas, and Baltimore would be interesting since they are more established teams who had down years. I'd love to see what Zimmer could do with him, but I know that's not even close to realistic.

I'd love it if he fell all the way to Chicago.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Parmesan Basil posted:

lol and he was the pick we all hated at the time!

I forgot that the kid who backs up Boehm and will be taking over for him is my buddy's cousin and from my hometown of 4k.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Packers will either draft 28 or mid-20s depending on next week. Top needs are ILB, TE, OT. WR will get drafted but not early because they feel Jordy Nelson and Ty Montgomery coming back will make this year's shitshow better. I'm hearing that this isn't a great year for ILB and is a terrible year for TE, is that true? So they might take a tackle at 28 if none of the ILB prospects look great. DT could also happen mid-draft depending on what happens with Raji and Guion.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If the Giants don't spend their first three picks on defense then it's probably because Reese is still GM somehow

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

mastershakeman posted:

He's fallen further than that before.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

defiantgiant posted:

I'm not gonna lie, a part of me was mad the Bears won this week. I don't think we are making it into the top ten because of that, even if we beat the Lions. I don't even know why I worry about it, since there are always great prospects in the mid to late first round, if you are smart about it. I'd have loved for them to grab Stanley with their first pick, moved Leto inside to guard, and then just gone hog wild on defense the rest of the draft.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Current top 10 draft order:

1. Titans 3-12 (.493)
2. Browns 3-12 (.532)
3. Chargers 4-11 (.511)
4. Cowboys 4-11 (.529)
5. 49ers 4-11 (.558)
6. Dolphins 5-10 (.453)
7. Jaguars 5-10 (.467)
8. Ravens 5-10 (.489)
9. Bucs 6-9 (.453)
10. Giants 6-9 (.498)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross Angeles posted:

1. Titans 3-12 (.493)
2. Browns 3-12 (.532)
3. Chargers 4-11 (.511)
4. Cowboys 4-11 (.529)
5. 49ers 4-11 (.558)
6. Dolphins 5-10 (.453)
7. Jaguars 5-10 (.467)
8. Ravens 5-10 (.489)
9. Bucs 6-9 (.453)
10. Giants 6-9 (.498)

Go Chargers, Cowboys, 49ers and Pats

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I hate doing it but yeah Miamis guaranteed to lose and we could really use the top 4 pick

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

So if the Bucs, Eagles, Saint, Giants and Lions can all win their games, the Bears can pick 9th! (I know the Eagles and Giants are playing each other)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

defiantgiant posted:

Hell yeah!

Seriously though the bears are gonna beat the lions

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ross Angeles posted:

1. Titans 3-12 (.493)
2. Browns 3-12 (.532)
3. Chargers 4-11 (.511)
4. Cowboys 4-11 (.529)
5. 49ers 4-11 (.558)
6. Dolphins 5-10 (.453)
7. Jaguars 5-10 (.467)
8. Ravens 5-10 (.489)
9. Bucs 6-9 (.453)
10. Giants 6-9 (.498)

So none of these teams 6-10 play each other so the Giants could land sixth overall which would be awesome

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

Hell yeah!

Seriously though the bears are gonna beat the lions

I'm not sure they will. They've been a lot better in the second half and the Bears are just trotting out bodies. I don't care about the draft, I really do want them to win, but I think the Lions are gonna roll. They are 5-2 since their bye and since the offensive coordinator switch, their offense has been rolling.

If we don't have Goldman and Jenkins next week, our defensive line is going to be just terrible.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ross Angeles posted:

1. Titans 3-12 (.493)
2. Browns 3-12 (.532)
3. Chargers 4-11 (.511)
4. Cowboys 4-11 (.529)
5. 49ers 4-11 (.558)
6. Dolphins 5-10 (.453)
7. Jaguars 5-10 (.467)
8. Ravens 5-10 (.489)
9. Bucs 6-9 (.453)
10. Giants 6-9 (.498)

Go Titans, Browns, Chargers, and Cowboys.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ross Angeles posted:

1. Titans 3-12 (.493)
2. Browns 3-12 (.532)
3. Chargers 4-11 (.511)
4. Cowboys 4-11 (.529)
5. 49ers 4-11 (.558)
6. Dolphins 5-10 (.453)
7. Jaguars 5-10 (.467)
8. Ravens 5-10 (.489)
9. Bucs 6-9 (.453)
10. Giants 6-9 (.498)

How are the Bucs ahead of the Saints? I keep seeing the Bucs higher in the NFCS standing than the Saints; shouldn't those track each other?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

ulmont posted:

How are the Bucs ahead of the Saints? I keep seeing the Bucs higher in the NFCS standing than the Saints; shouldn't those track each other?

The only thing that matters in draft order is strength of schedule.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

mastershakeman posted:

I just don't see him falling that far. But who knows, Nick Fairley dropped way farther than I would have ever guessed.

Wait, did Fairley drop because of character concerns? I can't remember why he fell so far.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I just don't see him falling that far. But who knows, Nick Fairley dropped way farther than I would have ever guessed.

Wait, did Fairley drop because of character concerns? I can't remember why he fell so far.

A quick look at his old NFL draft profile cites concerns about "character" and "off the field work ethic." I'm not sure if character means anything more than he was a cheap shot artist, if I remember right he was seen as a much cheaper guy than Suh in college.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Fairley dropped to internet people because of character concerns but he dropped in the draft because he showed up to the combine a fat sack of poo poo and didn't look like he had any stamina.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I can't imagine the tape on his dirty play helped matters, though. There was a lot of blatant stuff.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Due to the death of his mother and having to now be the caretaker for his brothers and newborn, Miami CB Artie Burns is declaring for the draft :smith:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Due to the death of his mother and having to now be the caretaker for his brothers and newborn, Miami CB Artie Burns is declaring for the draft :smith:

That sucks but he's pretty good. I can't see him going any later than the 4th which means he'll be able to care for them :unsmith:

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

pillsburysoldier posted:

Oh no! Chiefs, you need CB depth! Get this guy!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Best defensive end or DB available at the end of the first tia

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Sataere posted:

I'm not gonna lie, a part of me was mad the Bears won this week. I don't think we are making it into the top ten because of that, even if we beat the Lions. I don't even know why I worry about it, since there are always great prospects in the mid to late first round, if you are smart about it. I'd have loved for them to grab Stanley with their first pick, moved Leto inside to guard, and then just gone hog wild on defense the rest of the draft.

According to the standings as of yesterday, beating the Bucs dropped the Bears from at worst the 9th pick all the way down to 14th. If they beat the Lions and finish 7-9, it'll probably drop them down into the 17-18 range, given the sheer number of lovely teams this year. Two wins after they're already eliminated could cost them 8 or 9 draft spots. Of course "losing every week until you're eliminated from the playoffs, then stacking meaningless wins to ruin your draft position" is basically a longwinded way of saying "a Bears season."

And yeah, at least there look to be 3 or 4 good 1st-round tackles this year. I'd love for them to snag Stanley or Jack Conklin in the mid-1st, sign Kelechi Osemele to play right guard if the Ravens let him hit the market, and then just throw all the rest of their draft picks at the defense. It sounds an awful lot like they're gonna let Forte walk, and they'll need a hell of an offensive line to make Langford look decent.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

defiantgiant posted:

According to the standings as of yesterday, beating the Bucs dropped the Bears from at worst the 9th pick all the way down to 14th. If they beat the Lions and finish 7-9, it'll probably drop them down into the 17-18 range, given the sheer number of lovely teams this year. Two wins after they're already eliminated could cost them 8 or 9 draft spots. Of course "losing every week until you're eliminated from the playoffs, then stacking meaningless wins to ruin your draft position" is basically a longwinded way of saying "a Bears season."

And yeah, at least there look to be 3 or 4 good 1st-round tackles this year. I'd love for them to snag Stanley or Jack Conklin in the mid-1st, sign Kelechi Osemele to play right guard if the Ravens let him hit the market, and then just throw all the rest of their draft picks at the defense. It sounds an awful lot like they're gonna let Forte walk, and they'll need a hell of an offensive line to make Langford look decent.

I'm not convinced they are going to let Forte walk. It all feels like speculation based on the fact that they are giving Carey and Langford looks. I will nerd out a bit and tell you how I'd play the offseason.

I'm pretty excited about what the Bears should be able to do next year. The Bears have $55.6 million in cap space, according to overthecap.com.

I think there is no way Alshon hits the open market, be it an extension or the franchise tag. Worst case scenario, they franchise him and have to commit $12.8 million to him. I think you can also keep Forte for around $4.5 million a year for a few years, and backload the hell out of the contract to make sure you aren't trapped.

That would leave the Bears with $38.3 million to address their numerous defensive needs, and maybe pick up a right guard to round out their offensiveline. That cap space is assuming they don't make any obvious cuts, but they probably will be cutting a few people.

Likely cuts
Lamarr Houston
Jermon Bushrod

More than likely, Houston and Bushrod are going to be cut, freeing up $8.3 million. (Or up to $12.5 if you designate them a June 1st cut and roll the dead money into next season, which might not be a bad choice, considering Kyle Long is probably the only expiring contract you will have to worry about .) Bushrod has lost his starting job, so you can't justify that salary. Houston is playing out of position and has never been worth the money he made.

Possible cuts
Anrtell Rolle
Willie Young

Antrell Rolle is another guy who might not make the roster, considering his age and cost. That could save you another $3 million. They should probably move on from him, but I suspect they hold on to him because veteran leadership. Willie Young is a bit more interesting. He is also playing out of position, but he is playing really well. His $3 million is a bargain for a pass-rushing threat, but the Bears could be looking at a more proto-typical 3-4 OLB. However, I think they keep him because he has too much value, even out of position

Wildcard
Martellus Bennett

Martellus Bennett is very likely being traded at the end of this season, because he has been whining about a new contract and supposedly has rubbed the Bears brass the wrong way. (I hope this is untrue, because then we need to just find another tight end.) Assuming those reports are correct, that's another $5.1 million in cap space. Since this draft sucks at TE, and Zach Miller is just waiting to blow another ACL, I hope they just find a way to extend him. He's absolutely worth it. I suspect they don't.

Projected cuts
Lamaar Houston
Jermon Bushrod
Antrell Rolle
Martellus Bennett

After all that, you could keep Alshon and Forte and still have $49.6 million, and nine draft picks, to work on fixing your defense.

Key free agent targets
Muhammed Wilkerson
Eric Weddle
Danny Trevathan
Brandon Marshall
Sean Smith

I don't see how the Jets let Wilkerson walk, but the Jets don't have a lot of cap space and they have a lot of money tied into that defensive line. That with a few free agents, and Wilkerson could be the crown jewel of free agency.

The Bronco's cap situation is interesting. Right now, they won't be able to afford to keep both Trevathan and Marshall this season, but once Manning is cut, they will have a lot of cap space. However, Osweiler will still cost a lot, despite his struggles, because the QB market is so bare, and Von Miller has to be paid. With luck, one of them is available in free agency.

Because the Chargers are dumb, Weddle will likely hit free agency and would be a huge get for any organization.

Sean Smith is likely the odd man out in KC's offseason.

If I am the Bears, my top two targets are Eric Weddle and Danny Trevathan/Brandon Marshall. Middle linebacker and our free safety spot have been major problems for us all season and you shore those up with very talented veterans by doings this. I also try targeting some cheap defensive line help in free agency, like they did with Jenkins this year. You resign Porter, because he had a very good year and our cornerback depth is hurting. And you target a right guard who isn't a turnstyle in pass protection. Resign Zach Miller, because when healthy, he can ball.

Now you are basically shored up going into the draft and you just grab the best players available, hoping to specifically target an OLB and LT in the first couple of rounds, so you can move Leto inside.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jalen Ramsey Career Highlights (more per-year highlights inside that particular channel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_TPTX_9ldo

It starts off with him jamming a Wide Receiver all the way into the opposing head coach, so if a non - Patriots AFC East team could please draft him....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Air Force hasn't gotten annihilated this hard since 12/7/1941. I declare Jared Goff to be leading Daltos' Big Rotating Wheel of Random QBs 2016:

1. Jared Goff*
2. Carson Wentz*
3. Connor Cook*
4. Paxton Lynch* **
5. Cardale Jones*
6. Nate Sudfeld**
7. Dak Prescott
8. Jeff Driskel (really?) **
9. Christian Hackenbeurg **
10. Jacoby Brissett **

* subject to swap rank at the merest change of wind
** won't hear about them in a months time