Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
The team that brought us Homeworld, Homeworld 2 and the remastered versions now bring us.

Homeworld: Deserts of Kahrak
Which is available to pre-order on Steam and with a release date of Jan. 20th, 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7beE0NgnmU

Taken from their website: "The planet is dying, but deep in the southern sands of Kharak, an anomaly has been discovered. Could Kharak's salvation lie in the desert? 'The Coalition of the Northern kiithid' sends an expedition to investigate the finding deep within enemy-controlled territory. Join chief science officer Rachel S'jet as she leads an expedition across a 13 mission campaign to discover their destiny in this prequel from the original creators of Homeworld and Homeworld 2."

I'll edit the OP once more information becomes available, right now there isn't much more other than the hype video and some screenshots.

Edit: I've created a Discord server for DoK. Please feel free to join and be apart of an awesome community!

https://discord.gg/0iObC1nAGCaSEPOp

and be sure to post on their forums!

http://forums.blackbirdinteractive.com/

There is also a website that is hosting a cash prize tournament thing: http://captainsofkharak.com/w/index.php?title=Tournaments

Interview with BBI Rory Lead Game Designer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuy_kdm_DXc

My first ever 1v1 Commentary of DoK with the Ranked #1 vs the Ranked #2. Fun stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY54MtL42AA

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The planet's dyin' cloud!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Did this always have the Homeworld tag or did they add it on later? I remember being potentially excited for this, but feeling there was hardly any information on the game. Judging by your post I'm guessing there is still next to no info, and I doubt they will make that release date.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
I was skeptical about a ground-based Homeworld RTS until I saw the strategic map, saw the combat, and heard the classic Homeworld battle chatter. I'm going to keep an eye on this.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net

Megasabin posted:

Did this always have the Homeworld tag or did they add it on later? I remember being potentially excited for this, but feeling there was hardly any information on the game. Judging by your post I'm guessing there is still next to no info, and I doubt they will make that release date.

they added the homeworld tag and reworked it to be set in the homeworld universe after gearbox agreed to publish their game

the original iteration was known as "Hardware: Shipbreakers"

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
This was made by the same guys at Relic that did Company of Heroes, the first one and not that poo poo second one we got. I'm pumped for this.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

DarkAvenger211 posted:

This was made by the same guys at Relic that did Company of Heroes, the first one and not that poo poo second one we got. I'm pumped for this.

What a weird loving factoid to bring up, when they also made the original Homeworld.

I looking forward to it, though I looked the more simple and old school style slighty more.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
A Homeworld prequel set on a planet? Interesting.

Nothing really tops the first Homeworld in terms of atmosphere, story and RTS quality. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game like it as much, including its sequels.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Trump posted:

What a weird loving factoid to bring up, when they also made the original Homeworld.

I looking forward to it, though I looked the more simple and old school style slighty more.

I missed the Homeworld train, but I loved the hell out of Dawn of War and Company of Heroes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

All it needs to be is Ground Control but Homeworld and I'll be happy enough.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I missed the Homeworld train, but I loved the hell out of Dawn of War and Company of Heroes.

It is never too late to jump on the Homeworld train.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

A Homeworld prequel set on a planet? Interesting.

Nothing really tops the first Homeworld in terms of atmosphere, story and RTS quality. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game like it as much, including its sequels.

On The planet. I'd suggest that we're on Kharak and we're finding the ship that the exiled Hiigaran's used to land on Kharak.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Calax posted:

On The planet. I'd suggest that we're on Kharak and we're finding the ship that the exiled Hiigaran's used to land on Kharak.

That part is sort of right there on the store page.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I should probably ask this in the proper thread, but since it was mentioned earlier here: is Homeworld Remastered worth it? I dont mind installing my old copies of the original, and the remastered has some bugs it sounds like.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.

Kibayasu posted:

All it needs to be is Ground Control but Homeworld and I'll be happy enough.

That trailer definitely makes it looks like ground control.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Noun Verber posted:

That trailer definitely makes it looks like ground control.

Ground Control was good though. That's the tricky part.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Concept Art

In-game Screenshot

Pretty neat. Graphics look very detailed!

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 22, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

This is Desert Command. Reporting Desertship pre-launch status.

Command on-line…

Resourcing online…

Construction online…

Desert subsections A through J online…

K through S online…

Scaffold Control stand by for alignment…

Alignment confirmed. Stand by Release Control.

The Desertship has cleared the Scaffold.

We are away.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Good title OP, fitting.

I bought the game and what isn't mentioned in the OP is that if you don't own the Homeworld: Remastered editions you get them for free if you pre-order this game on steam. If you do own them you get a 20% discount. Having not picked up the remastered edition yet through a steamsale this tipped me in favour of pre-ordering the game, added value.

One of the devs is a goon and is talking about it in the general homeworld thread, he should come post here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Good to see some of the old Relic devs coming back together after the THQ meltdown. I'll admit my first exposure to Homeworld was with the Remastered edition, but I've always been a big fan of Relic's RTSs ever since Dawn of War, so I'm looking forward to what BlackBird has come up with.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

drunkill posted:

I bought the game and what isn't mentioned in the OP is that if you don't own the Homeworld: Remastered editions you get them for free if you pre-order this game on steam. If you do own them you get a 20% discount. Having not picked up the remastered edition yet through a steamsale this tipped me in favour of pre-ordering the game, added value.

Yeah, just got it myself for that same reason. It's a great deal if you don't already have the remake otherwise, eh, I'd say wait for reviews since 20% off a $50 game isn't a huge amount. 'Course I'll probably wait for the upcoming patch before I really play the Remastered. :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

McGavin posted:

Command on-line…

Resourcing online…

Construction online…

K through S online…

We are away.

You jest but that's literally the first mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyN-Nl-SaDA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG_G5I_d72Q

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 17, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McGavin posted:

Command on-line…

Resourcing online…

Construction online…

K through S online…

We are away.

Breach in starboard fusion tire.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

RBA Starblade posted:

Breach in starboard fusion tire.

Nothin' out here but gravel, Fleet.

Also sand. Lots of sand.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I hope this is successful so we see a revival of the franchise. Maybe a Homeworld prequel, when the Hiigaran Empire was at its height. Although we already know it has a sad ending.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe the Dust Wars?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maybe the Dust Wars?

Get Peter Watts to write it like he did for the original abortive project and we'll be guaranteed to get something weird. :fap:

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

I wanted to say thanks for posting guys.

A starfleet dental goon and I have been doing some YouTube vids together talking about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODP7nVTG6jw

We're also pretty familiar with the Devs on the Discord app. They are on constantly chatting the channel up and interacting with fans. I highly recommend logging on and asking questions. They are pretty awesome guys.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

You talk about shots of the railgun hovercars being blocked by dunes, but that is really not the case.

EgonSpengler posted:

Weapons are a combo between simulated projectiles and rolls. Simulating every direct fire projectile would have meant having to heavily flatten the terrain, since little bumps would end up blocking shots. Shot blocking is awesome when it's a ridgeline you can see from default camera but crappy if it's every little deformation.

Works great for arcing weapons though, and those are simulated.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Node posted:

I hope this is successful so we see a revival of the franchise. Maybe a Homeworld prequel, when the Hiigaran Empire was at its height. Although we already know it has a sad ending.
Nah, just retcon Homeworld 2 out of existence instead and give us a proper sequel that doesn't make Karan S'jet into Space God-Jesus-Buddha.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Looking at the video, you can see the shots hitting the ground. I assumed it was just LoS issues. I take it was just the units "dice" rolling misses?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sylphosaurus posted:

Nah, just retcon Homeworld 2 out of existence instead and give us a proper sequel that doesn't make Karan S'jet into Space God-Jesus-Buddha.

I actually think they could take that somewhere interesting if they focus on the fact that she's, well, a scientist, and her people have a very real history of violent religious extremism. Being a godhead has its benefits and all, but that's gotta cause some concern to a woman of reason, especially if her followers start thinking that it's very important that the rest of the galaxy hear the good word of Sajuuk and we do have all of these warships lying around...

SabinBlitz posted:

Looking at the video, you can see the shots hitting the ground. I assumed it was just LoS issues. I take it was just the units "dice" rolling misses?

From what I understand, line of fire is definitely central to the game and is dynamically affected by terrain, but units just won't shoot at all if they're blocked. Any shots hitting a slope or otherwise going off mark is calculated through a dice roll. No idea what effect different ranges have on % chance to hit, though.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 18, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've only got one question about this game: is Kiith Somtaaw in?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I've only got one question about this game: is Kiith Somtaaw in?

So history lesson!

Gaalsien was one of the major Kiith's before the Heresy Wars, to the point they were in control of the Capital of Kushan society at the time. To spite the other Kiiths for daring to defy them, they destroyed the sand shields protecting the city, and fired upon anyone trying to escape. For destroying centuries of Kushan culture/killing so many people, Gaalsien was exiled from Kiith society, their holdings were disbarred, and they were sent into the desert to die. That obviously didn't work out very well until the Taiidan finished the job.

The Somtaaw maintained a bunch of temple cities/large temples throughout the region we will be going through, but by the time of the game, they'd already found the mines that turned them into miners, and were members of the Coalition ( that's the group we play in this game ), mining the resources the Kiith Soban used for their war effort. Considering how tightly bound Kiith Somtaaw and Kiith Sobani were ( Sobani went to bat for Kiith Somtaaw, defying the Diamaid by saying Kiith Somtaaw should remain it's own Kiith, rather then being force merged with Kiith Naabal after Hiigaran Landfall ), the Somtaaw are probably our resources collectors in this game. Especially considering they were really the only mining/resource gathering based Kiith in the Northern Coalition.

e: PreMothership/Hiigara religion was split between two groups ( three really, but the people that believed Kharak was their home planet/the best they'd ever get so people should shut up kind of died during the Heresy Wars! ). The people that worshiped the Taiidan under the form of Sajuuk's "law"s ( don't go into space, space is bad ), and the people that worshiped Sajuuk as a god. The Gaalsien worshiped the laws. The Somtaaw worshiped Sajuuk himself.

ee: Also your last name in Kushan society is your Kiith. So Rachel S'jet is named Rachel S'jet likely because it's her clan, not because she's actually Karen's great great grandmother.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 18, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Another side effect of coming to Homeworld late is that I don't have the same hatred for Homeworld 2 as some of you guys seem to. I feel like it has missing potential, but what is there isn't bad by any means. I also think that they Vaygr are a better enemy than the Taiidani because of how different they are, and because their leader has an awesome voice.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
So I threw money at this back when it was kickstarted, they refunded the cash after they got picked up by gearbox and apparently I'm due a copy as thanks - anyone else in the same boat?

I'd honestly completely forgotten about it and was flipping a coin on pre-ordering it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Homeworld 2 is still good, it just has at least two big flaws compared to the first. In Homeworld 1, when the mission was over, you'd have this relaxing period to gather all the resources on the, uh, "map," and choose when to warp to the next mission. In HW2 the game warps you as soon as you've won. The other is this adaptive difficulty. The difficulty of the next mission changes depending on how many ships you have at the end of the previous one. So if you wanted to make the next mission incredibly easy, you'd scrap all of your ships just before the current mission is over, then rebuild in the next one. The enemy would have practically no ships.

It's still an incredibly good game despite those issues, it's just a disappointment they made those odd decisions for the game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Homeworld 2 was a great platform for modding and it was very pretty, that's about all I can praise it for.

It pooped on the story, the gameplay felt really dumbed down, and it just didn't feel like it had the love put into it that HW1 did.
Probably doesn't help that it very nearly didn't even get made.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Deakul posted:

Homeworld 2 was a great platform for modding and it was very pretty, that's about all I can praise it for.

It pooped on the story, the gameplay felt really dumbed down, and it just didn't feel like it had the love put into it that HW1 did.
Probably doesn't help that it very nearly didn't even get made.

To be fair it was a bastardised version of a much larger project that got poo poo-canned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Node posted:

Homeworld 2 is still good, it just has at least two big flaws compared to the first. In Homeworld 1, when the mission was over, you'd have this relaxing period to gather all the resources on the, uh, "map," and choose when to warp to the next mission. In HW2 the game warps you as soon as you've won. The other is this adaptive difficulty. The difficulty of the next mission changes depending on how many ships you have at the end of the previous one. So if you wanted to make the next mission incredibly easy, you'd scrap all of your ships just before the current mission is over, then rebuild in the next one. The enemy would have practically no ships.

It's still an incredibly good game despite those issues, it's just a disappointment they made those odd decisions for the game.

The plot is pretty nonsensical which is a shame after one which maybe didn't have the strongest story but it had fantastic atmosphere. Two descends into this muddy water of magic sacred locks and keys and then at the end "Oh no planet killers out of nowhere".

Dust wars looked really cool.

I was really worried about Deserts at the start of the year due to the media silence but I am looking forward to it now. I really hope there is a multiplayer community.

• Locked thread