Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

The plot is pretty nonsensical which is a shame after one which maybe didn't have the strongest story but it had fantastic atmosphere. Two descends into this muddy water of magic sacred locks and keys and then at the end "Oh no planet killers out of nowhere".

Cataclysm had an awesome story too. It's why HW2's lovely story was so disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I wasn't really too interested in this game when it first popped up but then I watched those dev commentary videos and took a direct hit to the nostalgia. Probably helps that I'm currently on an RTS kick right now too.

SabinBlitz posted:

Looking at the video, you can see the shots hitting the ground. I assumed it was just LoS issues. I take it was just the units "dice" rolling misses?

Mordja posted:

From what I understand, line of fire is definitely central to the game and is dynamically affected by terrain, but units just won't shoot at all if they're blocked. Any shots hitting a slope or otherwise going off mark is calculated through a dice roll. No idea what effect different ranges have on % chance to hit, though.
I would assume that it works similar to how HW2 and CoH did it; there's a dice roll where if your shot rolls a hit it'll just home in on the target, go straight through terrain and everything and slam into it no matter what, but if it rolls a miss the shot will deviate off centre but act like a simulated projectile so it can slam into terrain or even still hit the target if you're lucky.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Get Peter Watts to write it like he did for the original abortive project and we'll be guaranteed to get something weird. :fap:

Yeah Watts old Dust Wars script is cool as hell.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Deakul posted:

Homeworld 2 was a great platform for modding and it was very pretty, that's about all I can praise it for.

It pooped on the story, the gameplay felt really dumbed down, and it just didn't feel like it had the love put into it that HW1 did.
Probably doesn't help that it very nearly didn't even get made.

It was the beginning of Relics slow sad slide into putting out utter trash. I don't even know how they continue to exist post-THQ, SEGA must be losing money hand over fist to keep the lights on.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh Rime. :allears:

I'm excited as hell about the prospects of more singleplayer campaign-focused RTS games. It's such a shame that Legacy of the Void is the only thing in recent memory with a decent campaign.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Rime posted:

It was the beginning of Relics slow sad slide into putting out utter trash. I don't even know how they continue to exist post-THQ, SEGA must be losing money hand over fist to keep the lights on.
Yeah it's not like the original CoH is probably literally the best-regarded RTS in history or anything :jerkbag:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's like that was ten years ago or something! Everyone with talent fleeing the corpse of Relic means we got this game, though, so hopefully it turns out to be awesome. :dance:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

It pooped on the story, the gameplay felt really dumbed down, and it just didn't feel like it had the love put into it that HW1 did.

Having your work get scrapped at the last minute tends to do that.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I do not remember this war at all from the manual, I thought finding the ship ended most wars? Also Kharak was not really dying so much as it was a harsh place to live. Especially considering how long it takes them to build the Mothership.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Kharak's gradual desertification was mentioned in the original lore.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Dust Wars is the HW2 equivalent of Jodorowsky's Dune or Trotskyism. Not worth thinking about, not like you wouldn't find reason to be disappointed by it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rime posted:

It's like that was ten years ago or something! Everyone with talent fleeing the corpse of Relic means we got this game, though, so hopefully it turns out to be awesome. :dance:

Come on now, let's not act like Relic's games were ever balanced before or after COH. Part of the charm of Relic is breaking the game over your knee and finding the most ridiculous ways to fight in their insanely unbalanced scrums. Whether it's salvage corvettes or Kasrkin spamming, I prefer the unbalanced madness to the rock paper scissors approach of Blizzard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Kharak's gradual desertification was mentioned in the original lore.

Planet's dyin' Karan

quote:

Whether it's salvage corvettes or Kasrkin spamming, I prefer the unbalanced madness to the rock paper scissors approach of Blizzard.

I hope we get salvage sandcorvettes again, I want to steal everything not nailed down.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I always liked HW2 more than 1, but that might be because I played 2 first :shobon: An RTS by the original CoH team might just be the best new thing since..well CoH.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

evilmiera posted:

Also Kharak was not really dying so much as it was a harsh place to live. Especially considering how long it takes them to build the Mothership.

They make it very clear in HW1 that Kharak is on an irreversible path to being uninhabitable???

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

On top of desertification, it took nearly every natural resource they had to make the Mothership and Scaffold, to the point that they didn't have room for test runs of things and everybody staying behind on Kharak was basically taking one for the team one way or another. The idea was that it would return back to Kharak after things got set up on Hiigara for another set of colonists. The giant banana was basically their only shot to continue to exist. Kharak was a nearly dead world.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

RBA Starblade posted:

Obviously, I alluded to that fact.

Rime posted:

Dawn of War 1 and 2 and their expansions? Company of Heroes and its expansions?

I'd say their only really egregious entry of late is COH2 and its never ending stream of DLC.

Xoidanor posted:

Oh Rime. :allears:

I'm excited as hell about the prospects of more singleplayer campaign-focused RTS games. It's such a shame that Legacy of the Void is the only thing in recent memory with a decent campaign.

Eh, I'd say it was Blizzard's worst campaign to date, they definitely ran out of ideas after HotS and WoL since it was mostly defense missions.
And writing wise, no way, it's total dog poo poo.

I'd say Grey Goo was one of the better all around RTS campaigns I've played recently, it was a bit uneven but it felt fresh in its presentation and it featured a mostly compelling story!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Deakul posted:

Eh, I'd say it was Blizzard's worst campaign to date, they definitely ran out of ideas after HotS and WoL since it was mostly defense missions.
And writing wise, no way, it's total dog poo poo.

I played it and HotS back to back last month on brutal and I found them quite fun. :shrug:

Writing wise it was as always, god awful. :v:

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
We just posted this multiplayer sneak peak video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf3zx_P2vHo

Will have more multiplayer info out later today.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xoidanor posted:

I played it and HotS back to back last month on brutal and I found them quite fun. :shrug:

Writing wise it was as always, god awful. :v:

It's like Blizzard's writing staff took a load of stupid pills immediately after finishing Brood War, because everything they've written after that has been terrible. That includes Warcraft 3.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

EgonSpengler posted:

This looks solid. Here's hoping the netcode is good and that the game attracts a sizable playerbase.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Deakul posted:

Obviously, I alluded to that fact.

Dawn of War 1 and 2 and their expansions? Company of Heroes and its expansions?

I'd say their only really egregious entry of late is COH2 and its never ending stream of DLC.

Company of heroes online must of sucked some money up and was bizzarely dumped before it got out of beta

EgonSpengler posted:

Watched this. Looks good!

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 18, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Tales of War (or whatever the mini-DLC for CoH was called) was probably the first burp of trouble, but then Relic recovered brilliantly with DoW 2 and the expansion. DoW2 Retribution was just plain lazy (and would have been plain bad if it wasn't for finally ditching GFWL and having Last Stand) and CoH 2 was awful. Then THQ blew up.

Some people might say Soulstorm was the first sign, but Relic didn't make that (THQ forced Iron Lore to kill themselves on it cause Relic didn't want to any DoW 1 anymore).

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

hemale in pain posted:

Company of heroes online must of sucked some money up and was bizzarely dumped before it got out of beta

Possibly because it was the most unbelievable pay to win ever.

"Hmm, I will start the game with this jeep that can call in free artillary strikes. That seems fair"

The multiplayer video looked great. Keen to see/read more.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Node posted:

I hope this is successful so we see a revival of the franchise. Maybe a Homeworld prequel, when the Hiigaran Empire was at its height. Although we already know it has a sad ending.

Playing as a young, noble, Taidanii against the corrupt Hiigarans would be fun. Especially knowing how reversed everything gets :)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

vCoH played better and I don't think they had a very good strategy in place to make money from it.

I'm guessing there were also server rental issues, because it came in the last couple of years of Relic also hosting stuff on 'their' servers, so I guess they would have had to either renegotiate the pre-existing deal or build a whole new server architecture if they wanted it to be big.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's like Blizzard's writing staff took a load of stupid pills immediately after finishing Brood War, because everything they've written after that has been terrible. That includes Warcraft 3.

What in the world...

Warcraft 3 was pretty brilliant, it was the first sign of them reusing their now insanely common tropes but at the time I think it worked really well for the games.
I really loved Arthas' fall.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

jBrereton posted:

vCoH played better and I don't think they had a very good strategy in place to make money from it.

I'm guessing there were also server rental issues, because it came in the last couple of years of Relic also hosting stuff on 'their' servers, so I guess they would have had to either renegotiate the pre-existing deal or build a whole new server architecture if they wanted it to be big.

I liked it and played it quite a bit because there was just more of a playerbase at the time and I'm a total sucker for 'leveling up' and RPG stuff like that. I also never liked the new factions the expansions added and CoH online was just germans vs americans.

Phrosphor posted:

"Hmm, I will start the game with this jeep that can call in free artillary strikes. That seems fair"

Yea.. it was incredibly blatent.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Atarask posted:

Playing as a young, noble, Taidanii against the corrupt Hiigarans would be fun. Especially knowing how reversed everything gets :)

If we must have a prequel, I'd love one that followed the Khar-Toba and was the story of the exile. I'd rather they continue the story past Homeworld 2 though.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Mordja posted:

I actually think they could take that somewhere interesting if they focus on the fact that she's, well, a scientist, and her people have a very real history of violent religious extremism. Being a godhead has its benefits and all, but that's gotta cause some concern to a woman of reason, especially if her followers start thinking that it's very important that the rest of the galaxy hear the good word of Sajuuk and we do have all of these warships lying around...
Eehh, no thanks. Battlestar Galactica soured me enough on the whole "Everything is cyclical" plot device..

Rookersh posted:

ee: Also your last name in Kushan society is your Kiith. So Rachel S'jet is named Rachel S'jet likely because it's her clan, not because she's actually Karen's great great grandmother.
I love your optimism but I have zero doubts that not only will Rachel and Karan turn out to be bloodline related but also come from a long line of adventureous women who also managed to find themselves in turningpoints in the Kushan history.

Guess I just don't have much faith in any videogame writers right now.

loving Blizzard.....

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Is it time to bring the CoH bros back together.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I'm not a particularly good RTS player, but HDoK looks fantastic, you can zoom in on the units and the in game images look like they could be placed on the cover of a 70's sci-if paperback and blend in on a shelf of classic covers from Chris Foss and Peter Elson. Hope to have some videos about the game later this week.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

illectro posted:

I'm not a particularly good RTS player, but HDoK looks fantastic, you can zoom in on the units and the in game images look like they could be placed on the cover of a 70's sci-if paperback and blend in on a shelf of classic covers from Chris Foss and Peter Elson. Hope to have some videos about the game later this week.

It'd be amazing if they did a Homeworld 3 and just dialled up the Foss/Elson spaceship style to the extent that modern computers can handle it. It'd be like playing in Jodorowsky's Dune.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rime posted:

There's also this series called Dawn of War that was pretty popular.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DatonKallandor posted:

DoW2 Retribution was just plain lazy (and would have been plain bad if it wasn't for finally ditching GFWL and having Last Stand) and CoH 2 was awful. Then THQ blew up.

No game that features the Orks on a quest to steal the greatest hat in the subsector can ever be considered bad. Plus, Retribution had the best multiplayer (especially with elite mod).

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

hemale in pain posted:

I actually thought it was a desperate cash grab and they figured it wasn't going to go gangbusters after they revamped the P2W for CoHO. The army buff system they brought over to CoH2 was hideously overpowered in the beta and at launch before the balance team made them largely unnoticeable. The mishmash of useless doctrines is another aspect that felt like it was from the THQ days.

The biggest problem with CoH2 is that it's not optimised very well. The balance may always be all over the place in relic games but CoH2 runs terrible for something that doesn't look much better than CoH1 (the CoH1 aesthetic is better despite its age).

I'm cautiously optimistic about DoK if only because there hasn't been a good RTS in a while. Act of Aggression and Grey Goo didn't grab me with their previews but I know people who got burned hoping for lively MP. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Relic also dropped the ball by taking the hollywood route with Company of Heroes 2's portrayal of the Russians. The first game is based on fairly well documented airborne actions, but the second game is full on Enemy At the Gates fabricated bullshit.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
So I've been putting out some videos about very basic background and trailer commentary/frame-by-frame picking out of stuff. I haven't done a video on the "Transmission" trailer yet, but I do have three videos up so far. They cover the Announcement trailer, the "Primary Anomaly" trailer, and finally a video with SabinBlitz and I talking about some gameplay from Gamespot's channel.

The "Primary Anomaly" video has some pretty grotesque lore and pronunciation errors. Please don't watch it. Or do, and laugh at it. I know I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVT3aj1PcbI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBJPjwuKk30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-K2GSyhNJU

I plan on putting up another video tonight with an "official" channel launch and streaming plans for Wednesday. I'm also going to try to squeeze in an analysis/overview of the "Transmission" trailer tomorrow night, but work might turn out to be loving nuts, so we'll see.

Also these are my first videos even remotely of this scale, so I'm basically a full-on amateur at this stuff. Please feel free to offer criticism. Regardless I'm absolutely enamoured with this game. I can't wait for release.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

EgonSpengler posted:

From the video it appeared that resource costs were deducted up front instead of gradually over time Is that a change that made it to the final version?

I much prefer the latter because It frees me from having to focus on production constantly and I never have to wait for resources before I can queue things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Phrosphor posted:

CoH:O was amazing; that loving jeep :laffo:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Relic also dropped the ball by taking the hollywood route with Company of Heroes 2's portrayal of the Russians. The first game is based on fairly well documented airborne actions, but the second game is full on Enemy At the Gates fabricated bullshit.
In case anyone doesn't know, the campaign in CoH2 is entire about war crimes and atrocities on the Eastern Front, but the only people doing the war crimin' are the Soviets, completely ignoring all the poo poo the Nazis did.

• Locked thread